Is Golfwrx being over moderated?

I would hope, as golfers, we would all be sensitive about what we post personally about someones personal life.I know much was made of David Duvall's home life situation {not here but in a lot of golf publications} and where he was right now "personally".I think the fact that we play this sport {where one calls a penalty on himself} and not some of the other sports that have become a gangsters paradise, would testify as to what kind of people we and other "serious" golfers are.Courtesy and respect a decorum are what sepperates golfers from other athletes.{Ever see a football player throw a flag on himself or a baseball player saying "he was safe" after the runner was called "out".} Thomas Jefferson said "The government that govern least, governs best." That being said, to remove someones post,before it goes south or gets out of hand is just plain.....rude.That would be "anticipating something is going to get out of hand" and again,I say, we are golfers.Not to say that golfers are "perfect" but we are closer than any other sports. Just my 2 pennies.Now watch my post get deleted. Ha Ha Ha

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope, as golfers, we would all be sensitive about what we post personally about someones personal life.I know much was made of David Duvall's home life situation {not here but in a lot of golf publications} and where he was right now "personally".I think the fact that we play this sport {where one calls a penalty on himself} and not some of the other sports that have become a gangsters paradise, would testify as to what kind of people we and other "serious" golfers are.Courtesy and respect a decorum are what sepperates golfers from other athletes.{Ever see a football player throw a flag on himself or a baseball player saying "he was safe" after the runner was called "out".} Thomas Jefferson said "The government that govern least, governs best." That being said, to remove someones post,before it goes south or gets out of hand is just plain.....rude.That would be "anticipating something is going to get out of hand" and again,I say, we are golfers.Not to say that golfers are "perfect" but we are closer than any other sports. Just my 2 pennies.Now watch my post get deleted. Ha Ha Ha

Clarification.

Post which have clearly crossed the lines are removed. Sexually suggestive, Foul language, etc. Other posts are locked allowing the person's statement to be on record so to speak.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Its a legitimate question but this is where a Blog and Message board differ. Certain topics go immediately negative. If you go to a few message boards (were) moderation is absent or relaxed, you will see the comments and (disentigration) of common courtesy. We do shut down certain topics early because (the) go south very quickly.

Blogs are not what I would refer to as realtime. People can write an opinion, responses moderated before being seen by the public, etc. Much more control of flavor and feel and individual to the user as opposed to the community.

3rd sentence...s/b where. 3rd sentence ...s/b disintegration. 4th sentence...s/b they. ** Just "Goofin" with ya Gx....I appreciate that you're up to your eyeballs responding to these posts. :cheesy:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

There was a topic started not so long ago about what you would do at a driving range if an attractive woman (someone of the opposite sex) was hitting balls there already. Where would you go infront or behind and why? While the original poster was a little over the line I responed with a constructive comment, but before I knew it ther topic was terminated. Since then I have been visiting golfwrx less often.

Hmm, too bad. That was kind of a fun thread, it was just ordinary, everyday stuff being discussed, it wasn't R-rated or anything. :cheesy:

Yes, kinda ironic how a thread about picking up on a girl, commenting about how hot she is, showing a nsfw picture, etc is being talked about concerning over moderation in a Ladies Golf talk forum.

Its a legitimate question but this is where a Blog and Message board differ. Certain topics go immediately negative. If you go to a few message boards (were) moderation is absent or relaxed, you will see the comments and (disentigration) of common courtesy. We do shut down certain topics early because (the) go south very quickly.

Blogs are not what I would refer to as realtime. People can write an opinion, responses moderated before being seen by the public, etc. Much more control of flavor and feel and individual to the user as opposed to the community.

3rd sentence...s/b where. 3rd sentence ...s/b disintegration. 4th sentence...s/b they. ** Just "Goofin" with ya Gx....I appreciate that you're up to your eyeballs responding to these posts. :cheesy:

We are working on the mind reading grammar/spell checking modification. :partytime2:

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
BST AD Help

As to your point about the assumption that we believe people can't remain civil or resolve misunderstandings, I think that is unfair. The fact that the board is as big as it is now and the traffic numbers it generates show that people find some value here and I have seen more than a few tiffs be settled. Perception is everything but this is an iceberg.

I think it's entirely fair. The assumption regarding posters' inability to remain civil applies only to certain topics -- not all of them. For example, politics, religion and race--no matter how closely related to the game of golf--are verboten from the get-go. Moderators don't even give posters a chance to be civil when discussing these kinds of topics. It is simply assumed that these kinds of discussions will go south in a hurry and therefore it's not worth it to even start the discussion in the first place.

And I didn't mean to imply that people don't find value from what the board offers. Clearly, there's lots of value to be had. My only point is that whatever value may be gotten from the board is limited by what I view as over moderation.

sadly what you and the rest of the membership are "blind" too is the trash folder. If you could see some of the stuff in there you would understand why a thread is closed or deleted all together with. If we have to repeatedly monitor the thread, well it's too much trouble. We all have day jobs too you know.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Talk about unclear on the concept. A blogger and some other newbies with hardly any experience on what goes on in the public forums let alone the deleted content is trying to make a point about over moderation?!?! WTF? Give it a rest.

If you don't like it, the log out link is near the top of the screen. It's just ridiculous that I go to check out what's going on in posts today and the popular thread is more nonsense from whiners about their posts being deleted or edited. Get over it, it's not your forum.

Did it ever dawn on any of you that there have been many threads like this before and all with the same result. Thousands of members have no problems here and thousands are quite satisfied with the level of moderation. I am one of those thousands. The few of you complaining are in such a small minority I am not sure why this thread is not deleted.

Contribute something to the world of golf or go elsewhere. I would like to enjoy my forum browsing without being exposed to this stupidity.

Cheers to the owners and moderators....they have the patience of Job.

This discussion presents lots of opportunities for the members here to give negative jabs to the moderators at large. Myself, I've been a moderator for just under a year (newbie), and I've just received a PM from a moderator who's been here since the beginning. This moderator works a full time job and then some, and tries to golf in between all of this and to moderate when he finds the time.

I know this guy loves this site, loves golf, loves to buy equipment, and is a solid citizen to boot. Anyway, he gets berated by a member who's been here 3 whole months for his decision to lock a thread for fear of having to baby sit the thread, and then probably having to lock it up when it starts to deteriorate. By the way, if this moderator hadn't locked it up when he did, I would have.

I'm beginning to think most members on GolfWRX think that we moderators don't have to work for a living, and that we're on here only to police this place, and that we don't enjoy the articles, writing articles, and enjoying the pictures, equipment, buying, and selling, just like all the rest of the members here. WELL WE DO!!

Folks, we are members just like you all are, and we are here giving our time and effort helping Richard and Ryan to keep this place fun and safe for the whole family, not just the men or the boyz but the whole family. In the process of all this we all make our share of mistakes, and I can assure you that I have on numerous occasions, apologized to members for mine. I can't think of many mistakes that our members have made that they've apologized to me for theirs. Oh well.

Have fun, be respectful, and enjoy the finest golf site there is on the internet.

TY

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

As to your point about the assumption that we believe people can't remain civil or resolve misunderstandings, I think that is unfair. The fact that the board is as big as it is now and the traffic numbers it generates show that people find some value here and I have seen more than a few tiffs be settled. Perception is everything but this is an iceberg.

I think it's entirely fair. The assumption regarding posters' inability to remain civil applies only to certain topics -- not all of them. For example, politics, religion and race--no matter how closely related to the game of golf--are verboten from the get-go. Moderators don't even give posters a chance to be civil when discussing these kinds of topics. It is simply assumed that these kinds of discussions will go south in a hurry and therefore it's not worth it to even start the discussion in the first place.

And I didn't mean to imply that people don't find value from what the board offers. Clearly, there's lots of value to be had. My only point is that whatever value may be gotten from the board is limited by what I view as over moderation.

sadly what you and the rest of the membership are "blind" too is the trash folder. If you could see some of the stuff in there you would understand why a thread is closed or deleted all together with. If we have to repeatedly monitor the thread, well it's too much trouble. We all have day jobs too you know.

See, these are the kinds of responses from moderators that, to me, are borderline condescending. I do have a sense for what kinds of posts end up in the trash file. After revisiting the "Yes! Bill Wedge thread", I noticed that the posts full of sexual innuendo are no longer there. Furtermore, I've witnessed the kind of ad-hominem attacks that occur from time to time and require moderator intervention. Nonetheless, my point still stands: my personal opinion is that these kinds of posts don't justify the wholesale closing of threads that touch on certain topics.

By the way, I know your job as a moderator isn't always easy, and it's downright thankless sometimes. Also, I've never assumed that moderators didn't have day jobs that take priority over their duties as moderators. Still, that's no reason to get snippy with people whose intent isn't to demean the job moderators are doing, but rather to raise valid points about the limits this board puts on golf-related discussion.

Moderating a golf board is a balancing act --

Some boards are more conservative than others about what is allowed and the extent of controversial discussion.

Let's not berate the original poster or people that are concerned about moderating policies. Perhaps they haven't been around long enough to know the board's policies.

One way to head off threads such as this if for the mods not to have fun at the expense of the original poster by saying their thread is more worthy of the National Enquirer -- that is an insulting response.

This whole episode might have been averted by the mod locking or deleting the thread; and then sending a personal message to the original poster stating why the thread was deleted/locked.

I don't know if the mod originally handled the situation in this manner or just posted the remark about the National Enquirer --- but respect runs both ways.

If you want respect as a mod, you must offer respect and empathy to your members.

Now if the member continues to cause trouble after handling the situation in a more diplomatic manner, then more extreme measures might have to be taken.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

actually, I think the moderators have been flexible. When I saw the original post by GG, it almost seemed like she was promoting the thread to bring attention to her blog/web site etc. Not sure why there wd be a complaint when this site helps her.

me too

actually, I think the moderators have been flexible. When I saw the original post by GG, it almost seemed like she was promoting the thread to bring attention to her blog/web site etc. Not sure why there wd be a complaint when this site helps her.

me too

Yep.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

me too

Yep.

wow. now that's interesting

i didn't even know that blog was hers, clearly i wasn't paying enoughj much attention haha

anyways, i appreciate what the mods are doing for the site, no compaints here

I think a lot of the occasional animosity towards mods comes from the threads that are ended or amended with some sort of a non-neutral post on the part of the moderator.

If a thread is simply dealt with by way of a unambiguous and unemotional post on the part of the mod; fair enough. It's the ones where a mod takes the opportunity to have a dig or make a personal or condescending remark towards one or another of the posters - and then locks it to have the last word - that cause the ruffling of feathers.

If a thread's going the wrong way or posts are inappropriate, deal with it and then make a concise and impersonal entry to cover things. Anything else should be the preserve of a PM. Lately, there seems to be a (small) increase in the number of personal or insulting comments by mods when intervening in problem threads which are open to viewing.

Such posts don't read well and it inevitably engenders some discontent all-round when posters are insulted.

Just my opinion, and it's hardly an epidemic, but it's something I've noted occasionally - and more so recently.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

what and interesting thread.

Now as a United States Citizen I am a big believer in freedom of speech.

Just the same I have learned pretty quickly that this forum is not the US

Its Censored plain and simple and I think from time to time the moderators can be condenscending.

At times I have been very upset by things they have said to me, and I totally did not understand it or think it was fair.

Guess what I learned from this (nothing I did not know but had to remind myself) its there football.

Thats right they are the game and they make the rules and if I do not want to abide by them I need to go elsewhere.

Now as much as I do not understand all of their rules , I understand that it is there show.

So basically does it matter if I think it is over moderated , not one bit.

So I am doing my best to abide by the rules , and will continue to until they kick me out. Why because I love coming here.

Now I hope that never happens . I will state right here I never set out to attack anyone on a personal level. But when I feel strongly about something I say what I think.

Lol I hate censorship but I want to stay here so I try and censor myself.

But anyway I think the bottom line remains the same. Its there game , there rules and for me its the best game I have found.

I think the posts the mods shut down are in the minority.

Overall, there is a lot of great discussion going on here.

If someone is offended because a post is shut down too soon (and that is relative) and stops coming here because of that, its their loss.

You know, opinions are like Word not allowedholes, everyone's got one. If you're out of line, you get shut down. If that cheeses you off, maybe you need to reflect a little about what you said instead of blaming someone else (and don't get me started on that!!).

MODS, geez, shut me down......

Not realizing that this was going to receive the action which it has, I just want to insert my two cents here. I think that the moderators do a wonderful job! As you can see from my signature line, I have always been a strong advocate of moderation. The moderation on GolfWrx is........MODERATE!! Not too severe, Not too lenient. As has been mentioned, the Moderators don't do this for a living. They love the game of Golf, and do this so that we may enjoy reading and posting in a very civil Golf Forum. The analogy that I would submit would be; like watching your Son or Daughter in a Little League Baseball game. Don't criticize the Coaches or the Umpires if you don't participate and volunteer any of your time for the kids in the league! Keep up the good work Moderators....You're doing just fine!! :cheesy:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

This site is fantastic; it would be impossible to moderate everything nor do we want you to. Having fun is what golf is all about so talking about it should be the same.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

This discussion presents lots of opportunities for the members here to give negative jabs to the moderators at large. Myself, I've been a moderator for just under a year (newbie), and I've just received a PM from a moderator who's been here since the beginning. This moderator works a full time job and then some, and tries to golf in between all of this and to moderate when he finds the time.

I know this guy loves this site, loves golf, loves to buy equipment, and is a solid citizen to boot. Anyway, he gets berated by a member who's been here 3 whole months for his decision to lock a thread for fear of having to baby sit the thread, and then probably having to lock it up when it starts to deteriorate. By the way, if this moderator hadn't locked it up when he did, I would have.

I'm beginning to think most members on GolfWRX think that we moderators don't have to work for a living, and that we're on here only to police this place, and that we don't enjoy the articles, writing articles, and enjoying the pictures, equipment, buying, and selling, just like all the rest of the members here. WELL WE DO!!

Folks, we are members just like you all are, and we are here giving our time and effort helping Richard and Ryan to keep this place fun and safe for the whole family, not just the men or the boyz but the whole family. In the process of all this we all make our share of mistakes, and I can assure you that I have on numerous occasions, apologized to members for mine. I can't think of many mistakes that our members have made that they've apologized to me for theirs. Oh well.

Have fun, be respectful, and enjoy the finest golf site there is on the internet.

TY

Let's get to the root of the problem. Seriously.

The reasons why some of the moderators possess quick triggers is this.

When you first volunteered to become a moderator for this site, your intentions were good:

1. you love golf

2. you had a willingness to help an online golfing community

3. you view yourself as an upstanding, rational-minded, fair and understanding person

4. you figured that you would have the time to actually moderate threads and posts, in addition to your full time job, and perhaps a wife and a kid to take care of.

But then comes the problem:

1. you found that moderating was more time consuming than expected.

2. you found that you own personal time was starting to become sacrificed as a result.

3. this leads you to moderate with the idea that your personal time is implicitly more important than moderating the proliferation of borderline and idiotic posts.

4. this eventually leads to the quickness of your triggers in deleting/closing posts/threads.

...all because of the view that you have, that your time is of more importance than moderating borderline posts/threads.

...This is fine by me. Because if I was a moderator and if I had a choice of moderating retarded posts versus going out with friends, it's a no brainer. Life is too short to be moderating stupidity.

Realize however, that the mistake a lot of you moderators made before signing up as a mod is...you were asking yourself the wrong questions.

Instead of telling yourself that you would have the time and patience to moderate threads and posts, you should've asked yourself, "what if there was a situation where my time was more important than moderating posts?" How would you go about handling such a situation?

This place deletes waaaaaay too many posts. I routinely have posts disappear, and I have to assume I'm not the only one. This is the only place, other than BSG, where I have posts deleted. And to be honest, I don't have many deleted on BSG. I don't know what the story is, but I don't like it.

I'm surprised you haven't been told either with posts like this:

You can't see the electrode attached to his XXXXXX.

If you have had that many posts dumped, your account probably should have at least been suspended once.

BST AD Help

TY

Did I ever mention the idea of the Stanford Prison Experiment, where regular students were given either the role of a prison guard or the role of a prisoner.

All had similar personalities before the experiment, but their personalities drastically changed after their newly assigned roles...kinda like ex-members turning into mods on this site. I've witnessed serious changes in some of these ex-members/mods.

I'll explain why.

When you first volunteered to become a moderator for this site, your intentions were good:

1. you love golf

3. you view yourself as an upstanding, rational-minded, fair and understanding person

4. you figured that you would have the time to actually moderate threads and posts, in addition to your full time job, and perhaps a wife and a kid to take care of.

2. you found that you own personal time was starting to become sacrificed as a result.

3. this leads you to moderate with the idea that your personal time is implicitly more important than moderating the proliferation of borderline and idiotic posts.

4. this eventually leads to the quickness of your triggers in deleting/closing posts/threads.

...all because of the view that you have, that your time is of more importance than moderating borderline posts/threads.

...This is fine by me. Because if I was a moderator and if I had a choice of moderating retarded posts versus going out with friends, it's a no brainer. Life is too short to be moderating stupidity.

Realize however, that the mistake a lot of you moderators made before signing up as a mod is...you were asking yourself the wrong questions.

Instead of telling yourself that you would have the time and patience to moderate threads and posts, you should've asked yourself, "what if there was a situation where my time was more important than moderating posts?" How would you go about handling such a situation?

I believe we did go down that road before.

BST AD Help

This place deletes waaaaaay too many posts. I routinely have posts disappear, and I have to assume I'm not the only one. This is the only place, other than BSG, where I have posts deleted. And to be honest, I don't have many deleted on BSG. I don't know what the story is, but I don't like it.

I just did a quick search on your name in the trash.. I came out with 1 post ?

TY

Did I ever mention the idea of the Stanford Prison Experiment, where regular students were given either the role of a prison guard or the role of a prisoner.

All had similar personalities before the experiment, but their personalities drastically changed after their newly assigned roles...kinda like ex-members turning into mods on this site. I've witnessed serious changes in some of these ex-members/mods.

I'll explain why.

1. you love golf

Furrankee

Have you ever considered that you have way too much spare time on your hands? Have you ever considered that you may be reading way more into this post of mine than there is? You seem to feel that you have all the answers to what we moderators think and feel, our needs, our time, and whatnot.

What I choose to do or choose not to do has nothing to do with what you think, nor do I care what you think. If you're a counselor, keep it for those to whom you council to, and to those who pay you for their counseling. JAT

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

TY

I'll explain why.

1. you love golf

Furrankee

Have you ever considered that you have way too much spare time on your hands? Have you ever considered that you may be reading way more into this post of mine than there is? You seem to feel that you have all the answers to what we moderators think and feel, our needs, our time, and whatnot.

What I choose to do or choose not to do has nothing to do with what you think, nor do I care what you think. If you're a counselor, keep it for those to whom you council to, and to those who pay you for their counseling. JAT

I wasn't talking to you in particular. Nor to gxgolfer, or any other mod. I just happened to quote a random post to post my thoughts.

Anyway, all my thoughts are obviously theory. I should've mentioned "theory" instead of saying "I'll explain why"...which does have a feel of a "know-it-all" mentality.

Lastly, the issue here is patience. It's what it all comes down to. Enforcing rules is fine. But enforcing rules when your personal time is on the line...whole different story.

I'll explain why.

did you actually bring up this entirely flawed experiment from 40 years ago up as an example? the one that took a bunch of overprivileged underclassmen who had nothing better to do on a weekend than participate in a psych experiement? that's a hell of a stretch.

look at the one the bbc did a couple years back. inmates actually staged a breakout and looked to form a commune. that's probably a little more indicative of what goes on in a prison. it's also a little more indicative of what i'm seeing here. seems that every time one of these threads pop up, everyone's ready to jump in and stage a coup. bad guys are bad guys for a reason, whether they be incarcerated or trolling boards. :cheesy:

-troll-

Well I have an opinion. I really do but honestly after numerous bannings the last one for a month. This topic really isnt worth it. The last comment was how xxxxxx product was a much better value than anything else in the product line. The comment was missunderstood and I assure you I got no email asking if I was having a bad day I got as you are banned have a crappy month. But that is my take on over moderation.

Lastly, the issue here is patience. It's what it all comes down to. Enforcing rules is fine. But enforcing rules when your personal time is on the line...whole different story.

when is time ever not personal! That is a lame statement if I ever read one, implying that bad decisions are being made because the lack of time. The site is great. I get a post deleted, so what ? Do take it so personal.

I think that it is based upon what the mods want to see on the threads. It is like a news outlet. They take the raw news and put stories out there that promote their agenda. FOX is conservative. NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC and PBS are liberal. Thank God for FOX.

I have been suspended for comments about Europeans and Ian Poulter. As well as indirectly promoting mine and other peoples awesome BOS refinished putters on eBay. I served my time, whether it was fair or not, because this isn't my house. Although, I just go to other golf forums that I don't have a suspension on, because that is like leaving a lame party to go to another one.