2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Who is the most overrated PGA or LPGA player

Pat du Golf

He also won the Volvo Masters and the European Tour Order of Merit last year.

Villegas did that 'spiderman' thing a few times though (that Joakim Haeggman's been doing for years) and wore an orange belt once or twice during the same period and garnered about ten times the column inches...

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No such thing as an overrated golfer.

To me, the definition would have to be a guy who has a good week or two, i.e. wins a major one week and then misses cuts left and right for the rest of his career. That would constitute over-rated, at least to me. :good:

By that measure, that would be Andy North. Twice.

It's kind of a broad definition. Someone who has a great year and then just doesn't ever really match it again.

And I think we are talking about current players here.

What about David Duval? Dude was last person to be #1 on the planet and he is history now....

To me, the definition would have to be a guy who has a good week or two, i.e. wins a major one week and then misses cuts left and right for the rest of his career. That would constitute over-rated, at least to me. :good:

By that measure, that would be Andy North. Twice.

I think we are talking about current players here.

Understood. I was pointing out a fallacy in the argument. The fact that Andy North won the US Open twice and had an otherwise undistinguished career still doesn't negate the fact that he has two more majors than all of the people who don't have any majors to their credit.

I think an overrated player is one with hype that is above their actual ability. It is hard to be overrated without hype. The players that would make your list are more like "worst" players to win a major.

That being said all those guys are good.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5

LPGA: I don't Wie think is a member of the LPGA, although she should be, so I am going with Gulbis. She is overated on game and looks.

PGA: Adam Scott or Camillo.

Niether has won anything of significance, nor done anything to :cheesy: about, but everyone thinks they will. If I were......say Pacman Jones, I would compare them to strippers, they show you just enough to tease, but definately won't please :good:

Adam Scott won the Players dude..................................

I Know and what else..............................

He was billed as the next best thing to halt Tiger.

Coached by Butch

Played Tigers irons

Swing is like Tigers

Played Tigers Balls..............Dude

If 5 PGA tour wins at 28, including the Players arguably of of the best fields of the year AND the Tour Championship, top 10 in the world rankings for the last few years (8 as of today) is overated it doesn't leave much room for anybody but Tiger.

I have to go Sergio for the PGA. I really don't see the greatness in his game that so many folks talk about. I think he is good. But, the compare his ball striking to Hogan sometimes. In my definition of overrated, I would have to say he is over rated.

For the ladies, I have to give it Natalie Gulbis. I'm sorry guys, she is not that good, nor is she that hot. There, I said it NATALIE GULBIS is NOT HOT.

To me the most overrated is a golfer who is hyped to be the best/highly talented golfer who has failed to live up to the billing. I can't see putting veterans in this category particularly when they've had succesful careers.

PGA:

Sergio Garcia

Adam Scott

Camilo Villegas (more marketing like Gulbis)

LPGA:

Gulbis

Wie, the most hyped person in quite a while who has never actually won anything. She is young and still may have a good career, but she's a quitter and mentally she may never recover from that mind set.

To be fair to Andy North he was never touted as a great player. Memorably described by a PGA Tour official as 'one of the worst ballstrikers out here..' he belongs in (and possibly at the top of) a separate category - The Player Who Achieved Most With The Least Talent.

2 US Opens (and that other win) are a pretty powerful persuader, albeit Tom Kite can claim to be a contender too. Modern iterations are Ben Curtis, Rich Beem and, my vote, Mark Brooks. Ever seen Mark Brooks hit a ball? No need. Grab the nearest average 3 handicapper and get them to hit you a few balls... And yet the Wannamaker Trophy's on his mantle and he's a rich man.

'Overrated' to me means not worthy of all the adulation that gets heaped onto them based on their ability.

As in my first post, I give you...(Drum Roll).... Camillo Villegas and Michelle Wie. As long as they keep wearing those dazzling ensembles and bleating on whilst shooting 80-odd respectively their futures are assured.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

I have to go Sergio for the PGA. I really don't see the greatness in his game that so many folks talk about. I think he is good. But, the compare his ball striking to Hogan sometimes. In my definition of overrated, I would have to say he is over rated.

For the ladies, I have to give it Natalie Gulbis. I'm sorry guys, she is not that good, nor is she that hot. There, I said it NATALIE GULBIS is NOT HOT.

Gulbis is alright looking. In Minnesota, I see girls that put her to shame EVERYDAY. She is truly overrated, and according to this thread most agree. Your average WTA star is way hotter than Gulbis.

(Give me Creamer over her any day) :good:

i dont think its really players fault if they're "over rated" its the people and media that determine that...however they can be inconsistent or have a good year or something and win a major or tournament and then fall off the map and not live up to expectations. but its not really them who rate how good they are its us, but they are all really good

i agree, natalie is overrated and not hot. i would also say michelle wie is way overrated, like everyone else has already said. as for the pga, i would have to say luke donald, camillio villegas, woody austin.

Just a thought lets truly define what the heck we are discussing

Entries 1 to 10 of 78.

over[1,adverb]over[2,preposition]over[3,adjective]over[4,transitive verb]over-all over[1,adverb]all over[2,preposition]backward[1,adverb]barrel[1,noun]bend[1,verb]

Main Entry: 1over

Pronunciation: \ˈō-vər\

Function: adverb

Etymology: Middle English, adverb & preposition, from Old English ofer; akin to Old High German ubar (preposition) above, beyond, over, Latin super, Greek hyper

Date: before 12th century

1 a: across a barrier or intervening space; especially : across the goal line in football b: forward beyond an edge or brink and often down <wandered too near the cliff and fell over> c: across the brim <soup boiled over> d: so as to bring the underside up <turned his cards over> e: from a vertical to a prone or inclined position <knocked the lamp over> f: from one person or side to another <hand it over> g: across <got his point over> h: to one's home <invite some friends over> i: on the other side of an intervening space <the next town over> j: to agreement or concord <won them over>

2 a (1): beyond some quantity, limit, or norm often by a specified amount or to a specified degree <show ran a minute over> (2): in an excessive manner : inordinately b: till a later time (as the next day) : overnight <stay over> <sleep over>

3 a: above b: so as to cover the whole surface <windows boarded over>

4—used on a two-way radio circuit to indicate that a message is complete and a reply is expected

5 a: through <read it over>; also : in an intensive or comprehensive manner b: once more : again <do it over>

Main Entry: 2rate

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin rata, from Latin (pro) rata (parte) according to a fixed proportion

Date: 15th century

1 a: reckoned value : valuation bobsolete : estimation

2obsolete : a fixed quantity

3 a: a fixed ratio between two things b: a charge, payment, or price fixed according to a ratio, scale, or standard: as (1): a charge per unit of a public-service commodity (2): a charge per unit of freight or passenger service (3): a unit charge or ratio used in assessing property taxes (4)British : a local tax

4 a: a quantity, amount, or degree of something measured per unit of something else <her typing rate was 80 words per minute> b: an amount of payment or charge based on another amount; specifically : the amount of premium per unit of insurance

5: relative condition or quality : class

— at any rate : in any case : anyway

Just wanted everyone to have a true definition :good:

Gulbis is alright looking. In Minnesota, I see girls that put her to shame EVERYDAY. She is truly overrated, and according to this thread most agree. Your average WTA star is way hotter than Gulbis.

(Give me Creamer over her any day) :good:

Natalie looks good in the camera, but in person she's not that hot. Kind of skinny. I thought Paula was hotter. I followed Ochoa because she's an amazing player to watch. I loved how she was outdriving Natalie by 30/40 yards.

What I don't understand is how you could call anyone in the top 25 underated, unless they are hyped up to be the guy who is going to challenge Tiger, so that takes out Rose (won Euro Order of Merit), Scott (8 in the world), Stenson, and Donald. Poulter hypes himself up to much so you could call him overated, Villegas is overated, gets more advertisement money than a lot in the top 25 and has never won.

PGA: Villegas

LPGA: Wie, even though she is not a member she competes regularly and was supposed to be the next number one but she can barely break 80.

Come on people...

Chris DiMarco!!!

Im watching the replay of the 2005 Masters...after shooting a 41 on the back after the rain delay says he "didnt shoot a bad shot."

This guy has the WORST swing in golf...and I have though that for years.

No offense to him, but his whole "dont underestimate me, I friggen LOVE the Gators" schtick is getting old.

PGA: SERGIO :good:

LPGA: WIE :cheesy:

Villegas isn't really over rated because his media attention is more about appealing to the women like Gulbuis' is appealing to the men. They talk more about his muscles and tight shirt than his score. Kind of like how they seem to think that every woman will watch golf just to see FRED COUPLES. :cheesy:

Come on people...

Chris DiMarco!!!

Im watching the replay of the 2005 Masters...after shooting a 41 on the back after the rain delay says he "didnt shoot a bad shot."

This guy has the WORST swing in golf...and I have though that for years.

No offense to him, but his whole "dont underestimate me, I friggen LOVE the Gators" schtick is getting old.

He is pretty good. What he did on Saturday that Masters was a disappointment, but I still think he is pretty darn good. Him and Bob May are the only two people I have ever seen step up to Tiger.