2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Who is the most overrated PGA or LPGA player

Pat du Golf

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one I think is over rated is Justin Rose. Kid has a good swing, but never seems to close the deal. Yet every time he shoots a good number in the first round, they have him winning 10 majors, then he goes 80-80 on the weekend to finish 50th. Anybody remember a few years back when he was leading the Masters after a few rounds? Everyone in the media was chalking it up as a win for him and he goes out and shoots 81.

You can hardly say the winnner of the European Tour and Volvo PGA is overrated :good:

I have to go Sergio for the PGA. I really don't see the greatness in his game that so many folks talk about. I think he is good. But, the compare his ball striking to Hogan sometimes. In my definition of overrated, I would have to say he is over rated.

For the ladies, I have to give it Natalie Gulbis. I'm sorry guys, she is not that good, nor is she that hot. There, I said it NATALIE GULBIS is NOT HOT.

Gulbis is alright looking. In Minnesota, I see girls that put her to shame EVERYDAY. She is truly overrated, and according to this thread most agree. Your average WTA star is way hotter than Gulbis.

(Give me Creamer over her any day) :D

Creamer is HOTT!

For the LPGA tour it's easily Wie, although it hasn't been anywhere near as bad lately. At the beginning of last year every time I turned on TGC it was Wie,Wie,Wie and she hasn't done anything since turning pro.

For the mens I'm not really sure. I want to say John Daly but he has won majors, but with all the talent he has/had he could have had a wayyyy better career. So I guess I'll go with Camillo.

Woodie Austin,Ben Curtis and Michelle Wie.

Not much is expected of Woodie yet he has played awesome in the past 2 years including the prez cup. No prob there.

Ben won the British and 2 others. He's a nobody but that's a great record.

Michelle Wie is disappointing of late, and perhaps this is the beginning of the end, but she has been ragged on for awhile so I'm not biting.

Real underachievers? Chucky 3 sticks, Aaron Baddeley, and of course Sergio Garcia who has so much talent it's painful.

Another one I think is over rated is Justin Rose. Kid has a good swing, but never seems to close the deal. Yet every time he shoots a good number in the first round, they have him winning 10 majors, then he goes 80-80 on the weekend to finish 50th. Anybody remember a few years back when he was leading the Masters after a few rounds? Everyone in the media was chalking it up as a win for him and he goes out and shoots 81.

You can hardly say the winnner of the European Tour and Volvo PGA is overrated :D

Oh, I forgot he Volvo PGA was that huge of a tournament. I know its a biggie on the Euro tour, but means really nothing as far as the big tour goes. I know he won the Order of Merit. The reason I say he is over rated is that when he has the chance to step up big and really break thru on the PGA he never seems to get it done. How many PGA tournaments has he won? Thought so... He shoots 60 in a tournament last year, scares 59, doesn't win. Second year in a row he leads the Masters after the first round and limps in to make the cut by a shot or two. I mean the kid has talent, but he just can't get it done on the big stage. Seems to make him a bit over rated to me. I think Sergio is very similar in not getting the big one. Granted he has won on tour, but the big ones have eluded him to be he next coming.

Oh, I forgot he Volvo PGA was that huge of a tournament. I know its a biggie on the Euro tour, but means really nothing as far as the big tour goes. I know he won the Order of Merit. The reason I say he is over rated is that when he has the chance to step up big and really break thru on the PGA he never seems to get it done. How many PGA tournaments has he won? Thought so... <br />

The Volvo Masters is the season-ending tournament on the European Tour. It's really a bit like the Tour Championship, but in Spain. The European Tour is a well-established Tour of over 35 years' standing and is generally accepted as the second most important professional golf tour in the World. The prize monies and world ranking points play second fiddle to the PGA Tour, but the strength in depth of the Tour is well respected and the Tour is held in high esteem by players and fans alike. Rose won the Volvo Masters in fine style last year and with it the Order Of Merit.

PGA Tour wins are welcome but are not the be-all an end-all of a players' season or career. I'm sure that Rose is itching to improve his record in the US, but for last year will have to make do with excelling in Europe instead. Perhaps this year he'll be able to win some minor event somewhere in the US and give it pride of place on the mantle.

I was amongst the first to raise an eyebrow when the much heralded star in the making missed cut after cut at the start of his career. And, yes, his record in the US is hardly stellar thus far. I'd agree there are also question marks over his finishing abilities in the Majors (albeit his record of consistency in them is enviable) but the fact of the matter is that his record for a young player is nothing to be sniffed at and his achievements of last year demand recognition.

Sorry to go on; but the 'what has he/she done in America line' can get a bit overdone in my opinion. It's a fine tour and is the premiere vehicle for professional golf. But the PGATour doesn't render golf (and wins) everywhere else on the globe redundant.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Ty Tryon. He isn't on tour but was talked about like Wieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

TM SIM Max 11.1* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 6S
3 Wood Titleist TSR 15* Fujikura Ventus Red VC 7S
5 Wood Titleist TSR 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 8S
7 Wood Callaway BB 2004 21* Pro Launch 75s
4-PW Srixon Zx7 Modus 105s
MG4 54 SB Modus 105w, MG4 60 SBC Modus 105w

Scotty Cameron

Nice guy Chris DiMarco is WAY over-rated. He quite simply never wins! (I hate to say that, too.)

Michelle Wie is the most over-rated golfer in the history of the game of golf, hands down.

Honestly to say anyone who has ever played on the PGA tour or the LPGA tour is over rated seems like insantity to me.

One person said Annika Sorenstam was over rated thats incredible.

Lets deal with this Chris Dimarco never wins well he has seven wins and three on the PGA tour

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_DiMarco thats a lot of game.

Everyone rags on Mischelle Wie. I am not impressed with this girls character but in so many ways I blame her parents.

As for her game I have to believe she will be back. Too much talent to keep her down.

I actually look forward to seeing what everyone thinks of her when she makes her comeback.

You can not be overated at this level.

Can never forget Weir and the dubious Masters he won in 03. Guy has done very little since.

Huh? Weir's won a Tour Championship, a Masters, beats Tiger in a huge match situation at the President's Cup (something Els couldn't come close to doing in South Africa) and though the last few years have been quiet, he's still won two PGA events since his Masters win. He's won 8 times overall and is often a factor in majors.

And to label his Masters win 'dubious' is a bit nuts. It was one of the grittiest efforts I've seen in a major. He made big putts down the stretch and broke the all-time low number for total putts over four rounds.

Plus, you should see him strike it live. Awesome control.

It has to be, without question, the multi-millionaire, 6th highest paid professional golfer in the world, who has won NOTHING in stroke play......drum role please.................

WIE(tard)

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I really don't see how some can label Villegas as overrated.....I mean if we are really talking about golf here. Yes he gets a lot of commerial exposure, but in my opinion that really doesn't have much to do with his golf game. He's a face, pure and simple. A young, athletic, good looking golfer. They are trying to sell a product, and he fits the marketing bill. Same with Natalie Gulbis on the LPGA. And lets not forget the kid is still young, he has plenty of time to get victories. My definition of overrated would be someone who is continually expected to contend in most every tournament they play, and doesn't get it done. With that in mind I have to go with Phil Mickelson. #2 in the world, yet doesn't perform up to his ranking. Yes, he's won majors, and has several PGA victories. But who honestly can say that he shouldn't have won more? By most standards he's had a great career, but I really have expected more from him. Sergio would be another good pick for being overrated. I think alot of the "young" players deserve a pass, if nothing else because of their age. They are playing against the best in the world. I think alot of people consider young "phenoms" overrated when they don't perform in the PGA just because of all the media hype. The media sets an unrealistic expectation of them in the average golf fans mind, and when they don't succeed right away, they get labeled.

To be honest, I really don't believe in calling any player overrated. They are all playing the game at the highest level, and they have to work hard to stay there. Unlinke other sports, professional golfers have to play well to get paid well and stay in the sport. They have to perform well enough year in and year out to avoid losing their card. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, I forgot he Volvo PGA was that huge of a tournament. I know its a biggie on the Euro tour, but means really nothing as far as the big tour goes. I know he won the Order of Merit. The reason I say he is over rated is that when he has the chance to step up big and really break thru on the PGA he never seems to get it done. How many PGA tournaments has he won? Thought so... <br />

The Volvo Masters is the season-ending tournament on the European Tour. It's really a bit like the Tour Championship, but in Spain. The European Tour is a well-established Tour of over 35 years' standing and is generally accepted as the second most important professional golf tour in the World. The prize monies and world ranking points play second fiddle to the PGA Tour, but the strength in depth of the Tour is well respected and the Tour is held in high esteem by players and fans alike. Rose won the Volvo Masters in fine style last year and with it the Order Of Merit.

PGA Tour wins are welcome but are not the be-all an end-all of a players' season or career. I'm sure that Rose is itching to improve his record in the US, but for last year will have to make do with excelling in Europe instead. Perhaps this year he'll be able to win some minor event somewhere in the US and give it pride of place on the mantle.

I was amongst the first to raise an eyebrow when the much heralded star in the making missed cut after cut at the start of his career. And, yes, his record in the US is hardly stellar thus far. I'd agree there are also question marks over his finishing abilities in the Majors (albeit his record of consistency in them is enviable) but the fact of the matter is that his record for a young player is nothing to be sniffed at and his achievements of last year demand recognition.

Sorry to go on; but the 'what has he/she done in America line' can get a bit overdone in my opinion. It's a fine tour and is the premiere vehicle for professional golf. But the PGATour doesn't render golf (and wins) everywhere else on the globe redundant.

In regards to his PGA play, Rose seems to do play well on Thursday and sometimes Friday then tanks it on the weekend. He gets on the front page after the first round, gets talked about on golf channel and other media outlets and talked about in golf forums. Some people select him in their pool. Then he starts stinking it up on the weekend. The potential seems to be there for PGA and major wins but he can't seem to hold it together for more than 1 or 2 rounds.

Justin may not be over-rated but doesn't seem to live up to his ability when it comes to play on the PGA tour. I think there is a sense of frustration among some fans due to this and he gets labelled as "over-rated" or an "under-achiever".

In terms of exposure and not winning, definatley Wie and Villegas, Gulbis is close, but at least she has won once. No doubt the ONLY reason she gets any pub whatsoever is sex appeal, but quite frankley I think she is over rated in that area as well. Wie, too much expectation at too early an age, blame BJ. Camillo: see Gulbis and Anna Kournikova.

Phil is not over rated, if anything he is under rated becasue Tiger over shadows him so much. Hall of fame all the way.

One last thought, John Daly, don't know if he is overrated, but he is over exposed for not doing anything in so long. The guy did win two majors, and about 5 other events around the world, but the guy gets cut so many breaks for behaving in such an immature and self distructive fashion that I can no longer comprehend it.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly