2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Who is the most overrated PGA or LPGA player

Pat du Golf

PGA: Lots of votes for Villegas because of his (over)exposure in the US media, however we never hear about him in UK anyway. You cannot have Monty, maybe, just maybe, his career proves that Majors are not the be all and end all in a great career.All of you have got the hates for Sergio but I do not know why.

I think you need to distinguish between over rated and overhyped. Probably no one on the PGA is over rated but lots of them are overhyped..and that includes Tiger, sorry Golf Channel etc.etc. but he just is not going to win every time he plays!

LPGA:

For Golf : Although she isn't a LPGA regular Michelle Wie, however I do not think she has had very good advice and should have chosen to i) Forget College and turn pro ii) Not play in PGA events or iii) Forget LPGA go to College then comeback to PGA after getting some solid Amateur wins.

For being hot: Well not that you would cut your arm off to get away or anything (because you wouldn't!)but IMHO Natalie G is not as good looking as Paula C ! But for a really hot Tour player check out European Ladies Tour for Sophie Sandolo

http://www.sophie-sandolo.nl/content/view/70/

http://www.golfprogallery.com/flash.php

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PGA: Phil M

LPGA: Nathalie Gulbis oh no.....Michele Wie.

What do you think?

Is this a joke? Mickelson is #2 in the world. That's based entirely on how he golfs his ball and nothing else.

WW

Seriously, was naming Phil just a bait/troll? What makes him overrated? The fact that he wins multiple times on tour each year, and has finally begun to contend in nearly every major he enters? The fact that he's statistically rated 2nd in the world?

It's also funny to me that people have given him such a hard time for not making a go of it at the masters this year....but the dude finished T5! He also bounced back from a disappointing Saturday to post a top-10 score on Sunday (Even par).

Jack Nicklaus or Ben Hogan. If they played in Tiger's era they would have won probably 12 majors between them. Wie for the ladies.

GTFOH.

Those two would have beat that mongrel into the ground. None of them had a coach like Woods. Hogan missed 4 years in his prime. Nicklaus would simply have beaten him to a pulp. Get real dude.

Jack Nicklaus or Ben Hogan. If they played in Tiger's era they would have won probably 12 majors between them. Wie for the ladies.

GTFOH.

Those two would have beat that mongrel into the ground. None of them had a coach like Woods. Hogan missed 4 years in his prime. Nicklaus would simply have beaten him to a pulp. Get real dude.

Tiger a mongrel?!?!?!? OMG...aren't we showing an ugly ugly side... :( :russian_roulette: :clapping: :clapping: :shok: :clapping: :)

Unreal!!!!

Give Wie a full year out of college and just playing golf for a living......I have a feeling we will be in for a surprise. Once she learns she isnt a man and has the time to practice (instead of school), i think she is going to be pretty good IMHO

sorry i forgot haha

PGA: what everyone else is saying

LPGA: gulbis

Trever Immelman is now the most overrated player on the pga tour in this sense (now I know I just pissed off everybody as golfwrx has turned into the trever immelman band wagon). Trever Immelman is not a great ball striker, he just isn't. Below are his stats from last year.

Driving Distance286.6118thDriving Accuracy Percentage64.85%75thGreens in Regulation Pct.65.52%66thPutting Average1.847193rdEagles (Holes per)612.0180thBirdie Average2.99179thScoring Average70.7382ndSand Save Percentage52.17%64thTotal Driving19392ndAll-Around Ranking957153rd

Somebody please explain to me how he became a ball striking legend overnight? Best since Ben Hogan??? I like Trever but it shows how one great week and the media tries to turn you into something that just isn't real.

Trever Immelman is now the most overrated player on the pga tour in this sense (now I know I just pissed off everybody as golfwrx has turned into the trever immelman band wagon). Trever Immelman is not a great ball striker, he just isn't. Below are his stats from last year.

Driving Distance286.6118thDriving Accuracy Percentage64.85%75thGreens in Regulation Pct.65.52%66thPutting Average1.847193rdEagles (Holes per)612.0180thBirdie Average2.99179thScoring Average70.7382ndSand Save Percentage52.17%64thTotal Driving19392ndAll-Around Ranking957153rd

Somebody please explain to me how he became a ball striking legend overnight? Best since Ben Hogan??? I like Trever but it shows how one great week and the media tries to turn you into something that just isn't real.

It's not always about ball striking and stats, it's about knowing how to score and win. Immelman just won the Masters, respectfully, probably not the time to call him over rated!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

GTFOH.

Real classy...

PGA tour; Tom Lehman, David Toms, Sergio Garcia

LPGA; Wie, Gulbis,

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

PGA: Phil M

LPGA: Nathalie Gulbis oh no.....Michele Wie.

What do you think?

Is this a joke? Mickelson is #2 in the world. That's based entirely on how he golfs his ball and nothing else.

WW

Has to be a joke......PM was/has:

1st 4 time All-American

Won NCAA Championships

Won US Amatuer

Won on the PGA Tour as an amatuer

Has 33 fricken PGA victories

Has won 3 Major Championships

shoe-in HOF'er

inter alia

I'll take Chris DiMarco, Tom Lehman, Adam Scott, John Daly.....it's all about the wins.

$LEFTY$  

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65S - Taylormade Stealth 2 3W HL w/ Fugi Ventus TR 6-S - Callaway Big Bertha Max 4H w/ Recoil 75 - Srixon Zx5 5i-PW w/ Recoil 95 - Titleist SM8 48 & 52 w/ Recoil 110 - Callaway JAWS 56 w/ Recoil 110 - Ping Tour-W 60 w/ Recoil 110 - Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 34 - Taylormade TP5X - PING Hoofer

"I like Trever but it shows how one great week and the media tries to turn you into something that just isn't real."

I think that's the problem. We live in the age of constant media, and, if they have nothing real to say, well then, they still have to say something. So, players get hyped way too much. I think the official ratings systems work pretty well. But, the hype is way out of control.

And, as a Canadian, I am patriotically offended that Mike Weir was ever mentioned in this thread. How exactly does one sneak into winning a Masters, or any Major, without game?

"I like Trever but it shows how one great week and the media tries to turn you into something that just isn't real."

I think that's the problem. We live in the age of constant media, and, if they have nothing real to say, well then, they still have to say something. So, players get hyped way too much. I think the official ratings systems work pretty well. But, the hype is way out of control.

And, as a Canadian, I am patriotically offended that Mike Weir was ever mentioned in this thread. How exactly does one sneak into winning a Masters, or any Major, without game?

billsboy, buddy, looks to me as though you are fighting tooth and nail for both sides! :russian_roulette: :( :clapping:

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

billsboy, buddy, looks to me as though you are fighting tooth and nail for both sides! :wacko: :shok: :shok:

Yeah he was a bit hehe.

I think you really have to allow players to really play their way through the span of the careers before you can cast a judgement as to whether they were overrated or not.

For example, both Weir and Immelman have won a Masters. Immelman hasn't yet achieved or had the career that Weir has had, but he's also younger. So you have to give him (and others) the time to reach their full potential.

Both Weir and Immelman have plenty of game and wins left in them.

Mens = Ian Poulter - if only his golf was a sharp as fashion sense on the course. How's he managed to get into the top 50 is beyond me.

Ladies = I have no idea. In NZ the LPGA isn't aired on TV so I don't know enough about this tour.

As a side note there's no way Phil M or Vijay should be voted. I think their names were thrown in for some lively debate however we all have different opinions on topics like this.

Thanks, Wade

errr it might be a bit early to pass judgement on Immelman. 2006 rookie of the year- 2007 sick with a virus/ or parasite lost a ton of weight---- might explain why his stats for last year were a bit weak- wins the Nedbank challenge in SA at year end- then surgery for the growth on his diaphragm at the start of the season- recovers and wins the first major of the year. Not bad for someone thats only done less than a season healthy on the PGA Tour. Like how many under 30 year olds have one a major recently???

GTFOH.

Someone always has to go there. Why the de-humanization? Can't he just be a man that plays golf? Or even a man of mixed parentage that plays golf. Whatever the case,a man first. This craziness has to stop. NOW!

Sorry guys, I just couldn't let that slide.

PGA: CHIII, Ian Poulter, Luke Donald, Justin Rose, Colin Montgomerie, Chad Campbell, Stuart Cink, Sean O'Hair, Jason Day, Anthony Kim, JB Holmes, and BUBBA WATSON.

LPGA: Easy, Morgan Pressel. Other than the US Open she lost as an amatuer, and her one long victory what has she contended in?

MOST UNDERRATED: Matt Jones, give him another year and he will be a top 25 player, and he may even get his first win yet this year. I would take him over Jason Day all day long.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

who is Matt Jones and what tour does he play on and what has he won?

PGA: CHIII, Ian Poulter, Luke Donald, Justin Rose, Colin Montgomerie, Chad Campbell, Stuart Cink, Sean O'Hair, Jason Day, Anthony Kim, JB Holmes, and BUBBA WATSON.

LPGA: Easy, Morgan Pressel. Other than the US Open she lost as an amatuer, and her one long victory what has she contended in?

MOST UNDERRATED: Matt Jones, give him another year and he will be a top 25 player, and he may even get his first win yet this year. I would take him over Jason Day all day long.

who is Matt Jones and what tour does he play on and what has he won?

Titleist PGA Tour Staff player in his rookie season on the PGA. He is from Australia and earned his way on the tour this year by finishing 7th on the money list on the Nationwide Tour last year. He has made the cut in 10 of 11 events this year and had a chance on winning the Honda Classic but put a ball in the water on 17 that took him out of contention finishing fourth. He was only one stroke behind Ernie's winning score at the time. He has posted one top ten and four top 25 finishes so far this year. He ranks first on tour in total eagles and 20th in total birdies. I believe that he made the cut in his first six starts this year. So far he is tops in this years class of rookies as far a performance. He is a solid player with an outstanding swing. He will be the next Australian superstar and maybe break through where Scott has failed aside from the players.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

GTFOH.

Someone always has to go there. Why the de-humanization? Can't he just be a man that plays golf? Or even a man of mixed parentage that plays golf. Whatever the case,a man first. This craziness has to stop. NOW!

Sorry guys, I just couldn't let that slide.

I like Tiger. He seems like a genuinely good individual; a good person. I just think the media gives him too much credit because of his race. Plus saying that Hogan or Nicklaus would have got beat by him is blasphemy. 2 cents.

The best way to deal with ignorance usually is to ignore it, but I just have to ask..

You don't think that the fact Tiger is AHEAD of Jack's pace for major wins and the fact he is well on track to be the greatest of all time has anything to do with the fact he is so covered. You don't think the fact he won all four professional majors at the youngest age ever has anything to do with the coverage he gets. You don't think the fact he constantly and repeatedly wins at a rate that was thought to be impossible in the modern era of golf has something to do with the coverage he gets.

Goes to show bigotry is alive and well...no matter how good or great some people are and no matter what heights and successes they achieve there are always going to be people that simply can't get past skin color.

And please don't say you aren't a bigot. The mongrel comment pretty much gave it away...I'm willing to wager you wouldn't have called ANY other professional golfer that name. And it's very sad the admins on GolfWRX let such comments go. I don't think you should be censored at all, but someone should at least say something. Makes me rethink my opinion of this place...

The best way to deal with ignorance usually is to ignore it, but I just have to ask..

You don't think that the fact Tiger is AHEAD of Jack's pace for major wins and the fact he is well on track to be the greatest of all time has anything to do with the fact he is so covered. You don't think the fact he won all four professional majors at the youngest age ever has anything to do with the coverage he gets. You don't think the fact he constantly and repeatedly wins at a rate that was thought to be impossible in the modern era of golf has something to do with the coverage he gets.

Goes to show bigotry is alive and well...no matter how good or great some people are and no matter what heights and successes they achieve there are always going to be people that simply can't get past skin color.

And please don't say you aren't a bigot. The mongrel comment pretty much gave it away...I'm willing to wager you wouldn't have called ANY other professional golfer that name. And it's very sad the admins on GolfWRX let such comments go. I don't think you should be censored at all, but someone should at least say something. Makes me rethink my opinion of this place...

You're right. The comment was out of line, and I apologize. I thought the word simply implied someone with mixed heritage, not that it was an epithet of any sort. Now...back on with the topic at hand.

And now I feel this is a good time to end this topic, I don't believe there is much more a person can learn here.

Thank You Folks

m

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser