Taylormade R9?

What people seem to be ignoring is that TMaG is hitting not only different price points but also different target markets:

R7/ Tp: This was their step and entry into the moveable weight technology that allowed them to have this revitalization of market share and has made their name even more renknowned than it was before for their drivers, etc. With a current move to even larger club heads, the 400cc is somewhat behind in the size department as well as the forgiveness department. Don't get me wrong I was going to play this driver after having tried it but with the current move it's not offering the most forgiveness while still maintaining workability and feel. The R7 held true to std. price point for retail drivers these days while the R7 TP was fairly expensive; however look at any company that sells the real speeder or diamana or high end shaft like that and you will notice it will cost you about 200-250 dollars on top of retail price putting these drivers at the same price level as the R7 TP. So the price on both the R7 and R7 Tp were fair. These clubs included the weights and the wrench as they were the intro to the line of MWT. This is a great driver and with the new releases can be had at lesser prices, so whos to complain about that???

R5/ TP: Well, this should really be split up into two seperate descriptions but for sake of time and organization I shall keep it to one. The R5 hit a target market much like the old 580xd and 540xd did. The retail version of the R5 was TmaG's entry into the large headed driver market. They made something for two different types of golfers in introducing both a neutrally weighted and a draw biased weighting. These were very forgiving drivers at the standard price point with the ability to chose how you wanted your driver weighted, between two major pre-configurations. The R5 TP reached a different target market. They introduced this club targeting the good player who wanted to keep up with the newest technology in size and face thickness. This driver offers very good forgiveness as well as workability while maintaining the MWT. This driver also included the weight and wrench kit as it was still early in the MWT line. The price point of the R5 TP was much the same scenario as the R7 TP in that it cost extra because your are receiving a high quality shaft with a driver with the MWT that you do not get with the retail R5 (without modification). This was a great driver and is a great driver and maintains the neutral internal weighting allowing good players looking for a large head to capitalize on the technology.

R7 425/TP: This is TMaG's introduction with thinner faces even than the original R7 and maintaining the popularity of the MWT. This head offered a somewhat in between head as far as size and playing characteristics. The driver size is literally half way between the original R7/TP and the R5/TP, which allows those not looking for max sized drivers the opportunity to find a compromise. This driver also has different playing characteristics, while retaining 4 weights as opposed to 2 the player looking for the mildly large head has the ability to alter their trajectory more so than the R5 TP, the ballflight in and of itself is also much different than both previously mentioned drivers. The driver truly is a compromise between the two in almost every aspect from size, to workability, to adjustability, to ballflight, etc. The R7 425 also offers the newest in shaft technology in offering the re*ax/rombax technology in the drivers. This as well can account for the dispairity in price, the R7 425 TP has the weights as well as the wrench, so the wrenches do come with the driver, just not the other clubs (which has made the clubs cheaper, rather than more expensive). The price point difference also stems from the shaft that comes in it is quite expensive as compared to the std. R7 425 head. These clubs do have their differences in face angle etc. Therefore, I dont really see TMaG as "screwing over the consumer" by offering these products.

R7 460: Those who are complaining about the similairity between this and the R5 dual, fear not. There is great difference especially between this and the TP R5 Dual. The R7 460 is quite a bit thinner face with a slightly greater MOI. This thinner face will allow for higher ball speeds, especially from the avg. player while still maintaining a legal C.O.R. This head is also slightly closed, which is not the onyl way they designed it to help the avg. golfer who tends to statistically suffer from a slice. The driver is also internally weighted to be draw biased, so much so that in order to make it close to neutral it requires the 14 gram weight in the toe and the 2 in the heel. This driver will not come with extra weights as TMaG sees it to be best for the consumer in this case to sell it as is. This driver is not a TP and therefore you dont pay for all the extra goodies that would come with the TP including the shaft etc. This driver differs significantly from the R5 in almost every imaginable way, only slightly in size, but greatly in face thickness, ball speed, SPIN RATE (the R7 460 is supposed to produce a higher spinning higher launching ballflight than the R5), ballflight, etc.

So, to those who are complaining about TMaG screwing over the avg. consumer they really are not. They are trying to offer the best technology they can and target different markets with these products. If you read the above you will see what I am talking about in that each of these clubs has different playing characteristics, shaft technology, specs. etc. Each of these drivers is targeted to different markets and targeted at different price points based on the characteristics of the drivers as well as the shaft technology etc. There really is no need to rip on TMaG persistantly about the introduction of new drivers when in fact these are different drivers, they're not merely releasing the "same" driver or only mild improvements over the previous. The improvements are there it is your choice to judge whether it is worth the money to you or not.

* you can see my witb as to what I decided was worth it in regards to TMaG's driver tech.

Thanks,

Adam

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet that your information is correct. This is exactly why me and many of my playing partners refuse to buy TM equipment. Say you buy a R7 460 when it is introduced after the PGA Merchandise Show. By the time the weather gets warm its March or April depending on where you live. By the time you break this baby in, your in the middle of golf season (May or June). Then the marketing geniuses at TM come out with their latest technology (July or August), and there you are with your outdated driver that you have had for three months. You go to your local retailer to trade in your $400 driver (or $700 if its a TP version) and they offer you $200 (at best) for an almost new club. Atleast with most manufacturers you can get a season or two out of your "bigstick" and feel like you have updated technology. That's why I play Ping products. They only come out with releases only when they feel they have an improvement. I know this is opening up the floodgates for TM fans, but I am not the only person who feels this way.

Pingshack, you nailed it, I had just bought the r540 XD and here comes the r510 TP. TaylorMade, in general, is an absolete company kind of like todays computers, once you buy this model the next model comes out. I do keep my 540 in my bag and have since, bought some v-steels and I really like them, but TaylorMade needs to rethink their marketing. They need to have one big meeting of the minds and decide how they can combine a High Trajectory ball flight with a 460cc club head, and add two screws. That there would have cancelled out 2 models. TaylorMade needs to realize that not all of it's clients are wealthy and by changing technology frequently, this will only upset the common man.

exactly. when i bought my r7 i was all excited and then the r7 425 comes out a week later.

This is a joke! Do people buy there cars in December of 05 and get pissed when the 06 comes out a month later? Sorry! Again as I have stated in an earlier post. Who cares. I am so far from being wealthy its rediculous, but if I buy an 800.00 driver can I expect the value to go up? H E -double hockey sticks no! If people are so worried about money then you should love TM even more. Now you can get last years driver or should I say "last weeks driver" ( as it has been proven here) for a lot less money. Again, the customer wins. Whats not to love about TM? Come on now! Give me some love!!! :pimp: ;) ;) :drinks: :crazy2:

What this is all about is really pretty simple. It's target audience.

Titleist is USUALLY on a two year cycle with their equipment, at least a lot of it. The reason for this is, their club market it is for BETTER players (serious clubs for serious golfers.) They know gadgets and gizmos aren't going to fool their customers. (except mr. cameron, sometimes, haha) But anyway, it's important to note that Taylormade has made a concious effort to appeal to the weekend golfer looking for game improvement, as well as the better player. Thats why they have the TP and the HT and the LT and blah blah blah. They have a HUGE target audience, so wouldn't it make sense to put out more clubs? I admit, they are a bit excessive with it at times. For example, the R7 425 and 460, but if you look at how they sell these clubs it might become more clear as to why they do it, and their plan.

They have a very large account with Dick's Sporting Goods, yes america's number 1 golf retailer. (believe it or not) And if you go to Dick's Sporting Goods, you'll find a large amount of Taylormade products. However, there are no TP's in there. They know their target audiences, because they're so different, and know where to sell what products.

Comparing Taylormade to other companies probably isn't a good idea. They're actually quite different. One thing I will say, though, is that they are BAD for small private golf shops. So let's just say if you're a player of this great game and care much for the integrity of it, try not to buy Taylormade equipment quite as much. If you're a weekend golfer with some extra money and just want the most out of your equipment. Go GET YOURSELF FITTED (I can't stress that enough) for a set of LT or R7 irons and get an R5 or R7 460 and have fun with the game.

I can't agree with everything Taylormade does, but I understand it. I'm sure a lot of you knew this already, just giving my two (or three, this was kind of long) cents. Have a good day!

Its all about simple economics. Supply and demand. If the demand is there (the Consumer) they will supply it (the producer)

Now The Producer has some tricks up there sleeves. Its called marketing. Todays society is in a race for the biggest, greatest, newest, most improved item on the market, (golf is no exception, in fact we may be the worst).

It all boils down to this if they make it we buy it, and by buying an item with our money gives them the vote of approval and they continue on. WE the customer have the power in a free society to do as we choose. If you don't like a particular item don't buy it cast your vote somewhere else.

But lets not bash companies for trying to improve market share or engineering advances. If you don't like it don't buy it.

Hey we all have our vices and mine is Taylor made Golf equipment but i never buy the newest since i havent used it enough. But i have to say I agree with what you are saying they do release alot but they also release things over seas that never get here unless you get it on ebay or know someone over there. They also hit a braod range of golfers from the serious to the weekend, or monthly duffers. The better golfers will demo and try things out and stick with things that work for them longer then the weekend duffer who wants more everyting with out trying! I might buy my clubs off a rack or on ebay but they go right to the club fitter to get adjusted to my game, reshafted to the ones i love and know work for me. I think they do put out alot, maybe to much but since they are hitting many types of golfers not just serious this is working for them. Equipment is only half the battle it has to look good to you and perform for you but you still have to swing the club. Just cause you love it doesnt mean i will and vice versa. I like hearing other peoples opinions thou

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 2 years later...

This thread is 2 years old!!!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

This thread is 2 years old!!!

And you just brought it back which means there's going to be posts on r9 this and r9 that for the next day or so.

Actually, he didn't.

I replied to a post that is apparently removed (the thread was at the top of the index) so I removed mine.... maybe we can all just remove our posts and this thread can go away.

Here is something else to think about. New poeple are picking up the game of golf everyday. We are not the only ones buying clubs. When someone starts playing they normally want the newest thing out. Do you want to buy a 2-3 year old driver or the newest, hottest thing on the market. I think we can all agree, that new player wants the hottest thing out. TM is a business first and foremost. I do agree that TM is coming out with something new every season but that is what business is about. I think you could almost compare the golf business with the car business. Companies would not last long relying on last years model. Cheers :)

I want the new and upcoming R9 driver yesteryear :black eye: :)

I heard it will feature a 460cc head, that looks square from the bottom and round from the top - just like the newly released TM XR Japan driver model - and it will have 6 removable and interchangeable weights and a dark toned crown and no alignment mark on the crown. A totally square face and low profile. Stock shaft will be a new TM TP edition of the Diamana Blue Board series :lol:

This will rock our world for sure :)

I want the new and upcoming R9 driver yesteryear :black eye: :)

I heard it will feature a 460cc head, that looks square from the bottom and round from the top - just like the newly released TM XR Japan driver model - and it will have 6 removable and interchangeable weights and a dark toned crown and no alignment mark on the crown. A totally square face and low profile. Stock shaft will be a new TM TP edition of the Diamana Blue Board series :lol:

This will rock our world for sure :)

What about fws, hybrids, and irons to match... LOL!!!