2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What Ball Replaced The ProV1/ProV1x For You?

jick

How can you say the top pros are no longer using ProV1 or ProV1x? If you want to go by rankings, 2 of the Top 4 (Scott and Ogilvy) play Titleist, and so do Stricker and Singh. That's 4 Top 10 players - twice as many as any of the other companies who cherrypick the top players and give them truckloads of money to switch. You don't think Tiger, Phil, Ernie and Sergio left Titleist when they did because of money? Please. Titleist still has over 70 percent of all players and half of the top 50. Take the money out of the game and the counts are over 90 percent at all of the major amateur events. I'll stick to the Pro V1 because it works best. But don't embarrass yourself by saying the top pros no longer use them.

the dumbest thing about this thread to me is that it is a "hate on titleist thread". Do you really think that more pro's are payed to play pro v's? why do so many taylormade, cleveland, ping, and callaway, ect pro's play prov1's? do you really think there sponsors allow them to sign deals with titleist. (NO) They play them because of performance and feel. Now the all the best players are playing different balls part. HMMMM? Money. furyk- plays srixon, (his sponsor)... mickelson plays cally, (his sponsor), I feel that nike makes there players play there balls because no non nike guys play them that I have ever seen. Garcia taylor made ball (his sponsor), and so on. If anyone is following the trend of money it is the people who are switching because these pro's are.

Now on a side note most of these balls are great golf balls and have all the same advantages as titleist.

I don't think it's fair to muddy this thread up with facts. :clapping:

I agree, there are MANY great balls on the market. There are MANY great clubs on the market. Titleist is one of both. Why can't other manufacturers followers discuss how great their products are without hating on Titleist? Because Titleist owns the market right now...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you say the top pros are no longer using ProV1 or ProV1x? If you want to go by rankings, 2 of the Top 4 (Scott and Ogilvy) play Titleist, and so do Stricker and Singh. That's 4 Top 10 players - twice as many as any of the other companies who cherrypick the top players and give them truckloads of money to switch. You don't think Tiger, Phil, Ernie and Sergio left Titleist when they did because of money? Please. Titleist still has over 70 percent of all players and half of the top 50. Take the money out of the game and the counts are over 90 percent at all of the major amateur events. I'll stick to the Pro V1 because it works best. But don't embarrass yourself by saying the top pros no longer use them.

the dumbest thing about this thread to me is that it is a "hate on titleist thread". Do you really think that more pro's are payed to play pro v's? why do so many taylormade, cleveland, ping, and callaway, ect pro's play prov1's? do you really think there sponsors allow them to sign deals with titleist. (NO) They play them because of performance and feel. Now the all the best players are playing different balls part. HMMMM? Money. furyk- plays srixon, (his sponsor)... mickelson plays cally, (his sponsor), I feel that nike makes there players play there balls because no non nike guys play them that I have ever seen. Garcia taylor made ball (his sponsor), and so on. If anyone is following the trend of money it is the people who are switching because these pro's are.

Now on a side note most of these balls are great golf balls and have all the same advantages as titleist.

I don't think it's fair to muddy this thread up with facts. :clapping:

I agree, there are MANY great balls on the market. There are MANY great clubs on the market. Titleist is one of both. Why can't other manufacturers followers discuss how great their products are without hating on Titleist? Because Titleist owns the market right now...

Kevin

Kev it is nice to see someone out there with logic. yes taylormade makes great drivers, great balls too, so does nike and cally, and bridgestone, they just dont have any magic trick to where they are surpassing titleist pro v1's......... enough said......

I would have to disagree on this being a hate on titleist thread for the most part we are just stating what ball we play with now. Most tour pros play what they get paid to play, us amatuers have the freedom of choice and choose to play whatever ball suits our game the best whether it be a titleist or any other brand. like one poster said choice is good.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I would have to disagree on this being a hate on titleist thread for the most part we are just stating what ball we play with now. Most tour pros play what they get paid to play, us amatuers have the freedom of choice and choose to play whatever ball suits our game the best whether it be a titleist or any other brand. like one poster said choice is good.

BS. Read the original post again.

Choice is good. Discussing your favorite equipment is good. Discussing the merits of your favorite equipment is why most of us were drawn here. Constantly writing "hate" posts about a particular company should not be tolerated here.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I would think since PGA Tour players' pay cheque depend on performance that they would select their golf balls based on performance of the golf ball not the dollars they get from the manufacturer. I think we are all aware that there is "pay for play" money on Tour but I think for a PGA Tour player the money isn't something that would sway them to one ball manufacturer over another. Maybe on the mini Tours the money would be enough to get guys to switch but do you think the PGA Tour guys are at home waiting impatiently for the mailman to arrive with their endorsement cheque?! I sure don't! Just like the rest of their bag, the stuff has to perform the way they want or it's not getting played. Titleist has a strong hold on the PGA Tour because many guys don't have head to toe deals with their main sponsor. Titleist steps in to fill the void with a Titleist ball, FJ or Titleist glove and FJ golf shoe deal.

Mike

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

I switched from Titleist's due to the fact they are horrible with durability, i now game the B330s, Tour ix, or the ZUR-S. All three seem to act prett similarly, the ix gives more distance but the ZUR-S spins a tad more. Unless Titleist really wows the next time there balls come out i will be sticking with these three.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

There is also the lawsuit Callaway filed again them where it was established that the ProV1 infringes on 8 out of the 9 patents in question. There is also the dark cloud about Titleist settling the lawsuit Bridgestone filed again them for patent infringement. Now when you buy a Titleist ball, a part of the price you pay is for the royalties it owes to Bridgestone for every ball sold.

With the technological espionage and the lack of advertising based on emprical stats or technological advances, Titleist's reputation is falling out of favor among many of its former users.

So to all of the former Pro V1 and Pro V1x users, what balls are you using now?

Ok I'll bite, I've read some of the original posters posts and he does not always portray the best light on Titleist especially Scotty Cameron and the last part of the post does not shed the best opinion on titleist. I cant speak for the validty on the stats for the first part mostly cause I'm too lazy to look it up and dont really care who plays what, however I really dont see anyone other than the original posted specifically lambasting Titleist as an inferior product, quite a few of the responders have titleist gear in the bag including myself. I have and prob always will be a huge Titleist fan and have at least a couple of their sticks/balls in my bag. It seams that most of us just read through the post and just answered the main question of what ball you use now without trying to "hate on Titleist"

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

There is also the lawsuit Callaway filed again them where it was established that the ProV1 infringes on 8 out of the 9 patents in question. There is also the dark cloud about Titleist settling the lawsuit Bridgestone filed again them for patent infringement. Now when you buy a Titleist ball, a part of the price you pay is for the royalties it owes to Bridgestone for every ball sold.

With the technological espionage and the lack of advertising based on emprical stats or technological advances, Titleist's reputation is falling out of favor among many of its former users.

Ok I'll bite, I've read some of the original posters posts and he does not always portray the best light on Titleist especially Scotty Cameron and the last part of the post does not shed the best opinion on titleist. I cant speak for the validty on the stats for the first part mostly cause I'm too lazy to look it up and dont really care who plays what, however I really dont see anyone other than the original posted specifically lambasting Titleist as an inferior product, quite a few of the responders have titleist gear in the bag including myself. I have and prob always will be a huge Titleist fan and have at least a couple of their sticks/balls in my bag. It seams that most of us just read through the post and just answered the main question of what ball you use now without trying to "hate on Titleist"

You are correct. My mild tirade was directed solely at Jick.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Kevin

95% of jick haters read 100% of jick's posts.

45% of jick fans read 75% of jick's posts.

The rest of us could care less either way...

Disclaimer:

This poll is not scientific and is totally a guesstimation.

:clapping: :man_in_love: :partytime2:

Cheers!

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

What do Woods, Mickelson, Els, Sergio, Immelman, Sorenstam, and even last week's winner - Anthony Kim have in common?

Well, the answer is simple - none of them play a Titleist ball.

As of this week, only 5 of the top 17 in the World Rankings play Titleists. In the PGA Tour Money list, 7 out of 11 are non-Titleist users.

Titleist ads focus more on tour usage rather than performance benefits or technological advances. They have truly been trying to cash-in on their ball being a habit. But this trend seems to be losing steam as of late.

The top pros no longer use them, and this will have a trickle down effect to the others who will be influenced to move away from Titleist.

Your right the answer is simple...none of them are titleist staffers and all play for companies that will not let you play a titleist ball even if you wanted to. Nike will not let you play a titleist. You HAVE to play their ball. That is the exact reason Jason Gore left. You want a perfect illustration as to how incorrect your post is look no further than that. He was so convinced that the Titleist was a better ball for his game that he LEFT nike because of it. You tell me a SINGLE non nike staffer playing a nike golf ball....they don't exist. Taylormade will let you however the LDP Red was more or less designed on the playing side of things by Sergio. So it is almost his golf ball. Callaway same deal. They may have a few here and there playing titleist but not many. I know it is part of Mickeslon and Els's contracts that they HAVE to play a cally ball.

Another thing. If you think Tiger and AK are playing the ball you and I can buy your nuts. Look at the picture in the tour van of the countless Nike golf balls on the racks. Nike has more tour only equipment and balls than ANY other OEM.

There are good options out there now that titleist is not the only players ball however they still have a lions share of the market. The prov1x in my opinion is not TOUCHED by ANY other ball on the market.

Before you flame me. The TP Red and the IX balls are better off the tee than the X. But they simply will not check like a titleist. Especially the IX. The srixons same gig. They do not spin like a titleist.

Who cares about the top players in the world they are all played to represent a particular brand. Look at the nationwide tour and amateur tours. I for one cannot remember the last time i played in an amateur event where the whole group was not playing a titleist.

Calcavecchia played (and won with) a Nike ball whilst contracted to Ping.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Kevin

95% of jick haters read 100% of jick's posts.

45% of jick fans read 75% of jick's posts.

The rest of us could care less either way...

Disclaimer:

This poll is not scientific and is totally a guesstimation.

:man_in_love: :partytime2: :)

Cheers!

classic reminds me of the howard stern movie

:clapping:

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

As far as I'm aware Calcavecchia is playing a Titleist again.

Titleist have always pushed themselves as a ball company and have achieved massive exposure via the tours as a company who sign up many players to a ball-usage contract or by paying tee up money. They also have the market cornered in the case of the amateur game at high levels of competition. Many people (me included) got free balls from Titleist as a junior/youth player and as a result developed some loyalty to the brand. I think Titleist's marketing strategy is fantastically effective and, at least where I play, there are legions of golfers for whom golf ball=Titleist. Obviously, the balls are decent performers to boot, but the dominance that they have in the ball counts is testament to their marketing and promotion of the product.

Nike also make excellent balls, but their marketing on the pro tours is basically limited to Nike contracted players - the vast majority of whom are signed up to a head to toe deal that encompasses clothing, bag, glove, ball and a minimum club usage.

For me, my choice of ball is governed by what works best for me, and I've played Maxfli, Titleist and Nike in my time - all of which were the best ball for me at that time.

Frankly, my take on the premium ball market is that there are several comparable makes and the trick is in finding the best one for you and your game based on the subtle performance differences that there are between brands and models.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

As far as I'm aware Calcavecchia is playing a Titleist again.

Titleist have always pushed themselves as a ball company and have achieved massive exposure via the tours as a company who sign up many players to a ball-usage contract or by paying tee up money. They also have the market cornered in the case of the amateur game at high levels of competition. Many people (me included) got free balls from Titleist as a junior/youth player and as a result developed some loyalty to the brand. I think Titleist's marketing strategy is fantastically effective and, at least where I play, there are legions of golfers for whom golf ball=Titleist. Obviously, the balls are decent performers to boot, but the dominance that they have in the ball counts is testament to their marketing and promotion of the product.

Nike also make excellent balls, but their marketing on the pro tours is basically limited to Nike contracted players - the vast majority of whom are signed up to a head to toe deal that encompasses clothing, bag, glove, ball and a minimum club usage.

For me, my choice of ball is governed by what works best for me, and I've played Maxfli, Titleist and Nike in my time - all of which were the best ball for me at that time.

Frankly, my take on the premium ball market is that there are several comparable makes and the trick is in finding the best one for you and your game based on the subtle performance differences that there are between brands and models.

Agreed.

Oooooh Boy finally someone thinks like me . why bother paying 50 . 00 a dozer for some thing I'm going to play for 2 to 3 times.

I play the bridgestone E-6+ .I got the spin I want around the greens. i get the distance and carry I'm used to getting out of a dt- .

and im getting about 15 more yards our of a week fade. now if my wrist breaks down I also get the duck hook from hell, Thhe e-6+ helps relive some of the pain, And I have not found that kind of performance out of any other ball ( except the T/M tp red) I also play this ball often.

Titelest you had a good thing going and still may if you could drop your price . there not that great.....

Pro V's spin too much for me. I want a ball that one hops to the hole and stops, not one that one hops and spins back 20 feet. The paint sucks on B330's. Titleist, I believe, does hold the patent for the best finish. My current favorite is the Callaway IX tour, which had the highest ball speed ,140 mph, off my driver of the major tour balls. Not bad for a 100 mph swing.

I would think since PGA Tour players' pay cheque depend on performance that they would select their golf balls based on performance of the golf ball not the dollars they get from the manufacturer. I think we are all aware that there is "pay for play" money on Tour but I think for a PGA Tour player the money isn't something that would sway them to one ball manufacturer over another. Maybe on the mini Tours the money would be enough to get guys to switch but do you think the PGA Tour guys are at home waiting impatiently for the mailman to arrive with their endorsement cheque?! I sure don't! Just like the rest of their bag, the stuff has to perform the way they want or it's not getting played. Titleist has a strong hold on the PGA Tour because many guys don't have head to toe deals with their main sponsor. Titleist steps in to fill the void with a Titleist ball, FJ or Titleist glove and FJ golf shoe deal.

Mike

Let me point out a few facts...

FACT 1: 99.9999%of tour players get paid to play whatever ball they play.

FACT 2: TITLEIST pays the most money to the most players.

FACT 3: A tour player will not play a ball that will lose him money

FACT 4: No tour player will lose money playing with any of the top balls by any manufacturer

FACT 5: They can get paid significant money for using just the ball but more if they have a head to toe with the ball included.

FACT 6: Companies have budgets, once they are out of Tour payola, that's it. Smaller companies with smaller budgets have fewer players using their ball and that is the main reason why. Titleist has enough payola to cover every player if they could get them.

FACT 7: Titleist started out with the most players. Just about every player using another ball today used to be with Titleist.

FACT 8: A lot of tour players make more off the course than on... start with Tiger and Phil...

FACT 9: If company X has enough $$$ they can have anybody they want playing their ball if it is in the ballpark performance wise.

The conclusion I draw is you really have no idea anymore whether a player uses a particular ball (club, bag, shirt, shoe) becuse it is better or because it is just good enough... because they are ALL getting paid...

I don't doubt for a minute that some subset of tour players play a specific ball because they think it plays better, but I would tell them to their faces they have never won or lost a penny in the last 3 years because of using one ball over another. Just like us weekend players it is all between the ears. I sure can't blame the ball for any of my bad rounds nor give it credit for the good ones...

Asbestos underwear in place.... fire away.

My question was directed to "former Titleist users" - so if you are a current user, then you probably did not make a switch. I just wanted to know what balls these players switched to.

The problem is the ball choices now are really confusing. The Tour iX is incredible in the wind, the Nike One Platinums are the best inside 50 yards and around the greens, the Tourstage X-01R4 seems to be a complete package, the performance of the HX Tour 56 and Srixon Z-UR lines have really amazed me, the Nike One Black and HX Tour are just solid performers.

At the end of the day, its hard to commit to one ball but it would be great if I could.

That is why I need the help of the "former Titleist user".

Off-Topic: As for the accusations about me having a Titleist hate-fest, that is the furthest from the truth. A few months ago I just ordered a customized Ping Redwood, then switched to a Ben Hogan Bettinardi carbon steel, but now I am back to my trusty Scotty Cameron putter. Why would I use a product I hate? It just doesn't make sense.

My question was directed to "former Titleist users" - so if you are a current user, then you probably did not make a switch. I just wanted to know what balls these players switched to.

The problem is the ball choices now are really confusing. The Tour iX is incredible in the wind, the Nike One Platinums are the best inside 50 yards and around the greens, the Tourstage X-01R4 seems to be a complete package, the performance of the HX Tour 56 and Srixon Z-UR lines have really amazed me, the Nike One Black and HX Tour are just solid performers.

At the end of the day, its hard to commit to one ball but it would be great if I could.

That is why I need the help of the "former Titleist user".

Off-Topic: As for the accusations about me having a Titleist hate-fest, that is the furthest from the truth. A few months ago I just ordered a customized Ping Redwood, then switched to a Ben Hogan Bettinardi carbon steel, but now I am back to my trusty Scotty Cameron putter. Why would I use a product I hate? It just doesn't make sense.

That is the million dollar question!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Mike

Let me point out a few facts...

FACT 1: 99.9999%of tour players get paid to play whatever ball they play.

FACT 2: TITLEIST pays the most money to the most players.

FACT 3: A tour player will not play a ball that will lose him money

FACT 4: No tour player will lose money playing with any of the top balls by any manufacturer

FACT 5: They can get paid significant money for using just the ball but more if they have a head to toe with the ball included.

FACT 6: Companies have budgets, once they are out of Tour payola, that's it. Smaller companies with smaller budgets have fewer players using their ball and that is the main reason why. Titleist has enough payola to cover every player if they could get them.

FACT 7: Titleist started out with the most players. Just about every player using another ball today used to be with Titleist.

FACT 8: A lot of tour players make more off the course than on... start with Tiger and Phil...

FACT 9: If company X has enough $$ they can have anybody they want playing their ball if it is in the ballpark performance wise.

The conclusion I draw is you really have no idea anymore whether a player uses a particular ball (club, bag, shirt, shoe) becuse it is better or because it is just good enough... because they are ALL getting paid...

I don't doubt for a minute that some subset of tour players play a specific ball because they think it plays better, but I would tell them to their faces they have never won or lost a penny in the last 3 years because of using one ball over another. Just like us weekend players it is all between the ears. I sure can't blame the ball for any of my bad rounds nor give it credit for the good ones...

Asbestos underwear in place.... fire away.

I always enjoy your posts however I tend to disagree with this one. I liked the Taylormade Red I really did. I liked the IX even more especially off the tee. However when it comes down to where it really matter I for one KNOW that the X is a better ball for me. I cannot get the other two to dance like I can the X. I have sat there with a shag bag full of titleists mixed in with one or two other balls and whenever i hit one of the others it will react differently on the green. I feel like for me the X is simply a superior ball I really do. What else is funny is even though the red and ix seem to fly flatter they dont go any further for me. Odd Odd.

PGA pros for the most part pay the ball they are paid the most to play. It really is that simple.

For the most part now Titelist is not signing the biggest names to contracts. I guess they have better ways they want to spend their money.

The real question would be what ball would they play if there was no money.

I personally have always played Titelist competitivly but lately I have been experimenting.

Taylor Made is the only thing close to and X I like the black and the red but I think prefer the red.

Tried Bridgestone tried Callaway I guess next I will have to take my mate Matts advice and try the Nike.

I always end up back with Titelist because of Quality Control its the same ball every sleeve. Titelist does not have tour select balls they are all tour select.

Nice thread .