2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What Ball Replaced The ProV1/ProV1x For You?

jick

One of the reasons I play Pro V1 is because of its durability. Its probably the most durable of all the tour-played balls. I read in one of the mags the other day that a guy played 281 straight holes with his Pro V1. His partners are ready to make him stop playing it, but he refuses. He was wondering if it is a record.

I don't know what's more impressive - the fact that he's played it that long or that he hasn't lost it. He's going to be mighty discouraged when he does (assuming he's not just cherry picking the holes he plays it on). Nevertheless, that does make a good argument for using them if you don't lose too many. Say he only got 15 rounds out of it - that's still about 28 cents per round. :rolleyes:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the reasons I play Pro V1 is because of its durability. Its probably the most durable of all the tour-played balls. I read in one of the mags the other day that a guy played 281 straight holes with his Pro V1. His partners are ready to make him stop playing it, but he refuses. He was wondering if it is a record.

I only play a ball about 9 holes... between my wedges scuffing balls and a high Driver clubhead speed, that is as long as any ball including Pro V will last for me. More often, I am switching every 4 holes. I can see someone who is a short hitter with wedges that have worn grooves being able to use a ball forever...

I have never had a Pro V last an entire round.... in playable condition.

Look at this one.... brand new out of the box... lasted 4 holes.

Former ball: Pro V1x

Current ball: 2008 Taylormade Red LDP :rolleyes:

Ditto...

Has nearly identical feel, plus better wind performance and a tad less spin which is better for me. And they are about $.50 a ball less expensive... (must be the part they are paying to Bridgestone....) I am not paying more to have a Titleist logo on my ball unless it plays better, and the current V1x is not as good as this ball... for me anyways.

I've moved from the Pro V1 to the TP Red LDP. I've found the TP Red LDP to be longer, more durable and more stable in the wind.

Pro V1 to TP Red

Me too...

Agreed...

Did the same!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I've used Titleist balls for most of my golfing life starting with the good ole balata balls, which were sweet spinners but held up extremely poorly. I've been playing ProV1x balls for the past several years but they are pricy so I've tried alternatives. I didn't like either of the Nike balls (just didn't feel as soft to me) and am now testing the B330 and B330s.

I'm thinking of switching balls only due to the price of ProVs. As others have already said, most of the tour balls are all very good and only differ slightly from what I can tell. Having a choice always beats out not having one imo...

If the B330's don't work out, I'm trying the TM balls next... :man_in_love:

I just switched from the Pro V1x to the 2008 Nike One Platinum. It seems to have about the same distance, yet it spins great and is quite a bit for durable for me.

For me its a matter of finding the ball that fits your game. Its all about knowing what your ball will do under certain circumstances. I honestly dont think that any premium ball is better or worse than any other. I think its important to find a ball that fits your eye and your style of play and then stick with it. KNOWING your ball and how it will perform is much more important that which one you choose. JMHO.

Callaway Epic Speed ♦♦♦LS 9° Ventus 6S
Callaway Epic Speed 13.5° Ventus 7S
Taylormade P790 4-P DG105 S300

Taylormade  MG3 52° - 58°

Piretti Matera GSS

Titleist ProV1 

• 2 weeks later...
Former ball: Pro V1x

Current ball: 2008 Taylormade Red LDP :swoon2:

Ditto...

Has nearly identical feel, plus better wind performance and a tad less spin which is better for me. And they are about $.50 a ball less expensive... (must be the part they are paying to Bridgestone....) I am not paying more to have a Titleist logo on my ball unless it plays better, and the current V1x is not as good as this ball... for me anyways.

I've moved from the Pro V1 to the TP Red LDP. I've found the TP Red LDP to be longer, more durable and more stable in the wind.

Pro V1 to TP Red

Me too...

Agreed...

Did the same!

I'm with you guys on this one. No disrespect to Titleist, but I like to try other balls to see if there is a difference. I've played the ProV1 since it came out and loved it and only until recently have I found a ball that works better and it happens to be the Taylormade. If Titleist comes out with a new ball I'll try it and see if it is better. I have a buddy who plays the ProV1 and he tried out the Taylormade and did'nt like it. So I guess if it works for one does'nt mean it's better for everyone. I say play whatever works for you.

Once again, I would like to clarify - this poll is for former Pro V1 and ProV1x users. It is not for current users of these balls.

Second, I just added a poll so you can all put your choices there.

I think it was stupid for me to start such a topic without putting a poll.

My bad.

I hope its not too late for you to help and submit your choices.

Thanks.

Seems like a lot of favorable responses for the Taylor Made Tp line of balls.

I have tried the first generation ones but have not tried this year's with the LDP. Now you guys have gotten me intrigued.

I should give it a try.

Even a non-TM staffer like Norman got to playing their balls so it must mean something.

But then again, non-Callaway staffers like Sabatini and Ochoa are using Callaways so that must count for something too.

Nevertheless, I will try to give the Taylormade TP a spin.

• 4 weeks later...

replace? Nothing. I still play the Pro V1x.

As recently as this weekend, I almost tried the Callaway Xi ro the Bridgestone B330 or Nike One but then I remembered the experiment I went througha few years back, trying different balls. Fact is, I found the Pro V1x to be more durable than the Cally HX Tour (as I compared at the time) and others I cannot remember which right now. I hit the occassional cart path and there is a rumor that I have found the odd set of trees (boy, am I EVER good at hitting out of trees - amazing how good you get at something when you have to hit it all the time).

Point is, I do not hit every fairway and every green. Neither am I a millionaire than can use a new ball every time mine gets a blade of grass on it. As expensive as they are, I just find them more durable, yet still having great distance and feel. Other balls got marks from my wedges (and as you can see, I not use the "zip grooves" or the vokey spin milled ball shredders). I have a hard enough time keeping a ball in play. I do not need to hack up balls from the fairway.

If anyone knows any new info on the new Cally ball or Nike One Platinum or Bridgestone, I would be happy to switch but I need one with great distance and feel like I get out of the Titleist. I do not want to play a rock flight or one of its cousins, either. They have no feel with short game.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

I finally got to try the Taylormade TP Black LDP, and it is indeed a very good ball. The feel is right up there with most tour type balls. The only tour caliber ball with a feel that stands apart from the rest is the Tour ix, with its harsher sticky feel. The distance with the Taylormade was right up there also - I would say in the upper echelon of the tour balls. The cover was much more durable than its predecessor. Now I understand why you guys love Taylormade balls.

I wish there was more supply of it in my country in the used ball bin, but there isn't a lot. It's a great ball and I am sure it will be very successful. I just hope Taylormade will not do to their balls what they do to their drivers, which is replace them every few months with newer models.

Srixon Z-URC has now replaced the following for me Prov 1/1x Nike One Platinum, and Taylormade TP Red. I won some of the srixons decided to game it for a round and man is it great. It has good trajectory, low spin good distance on the driver and just enough spin on the irons to stop every club bag quickly. and last but not least it is a solid feeling ball around the greens and with the flatstick. Only negative is it does not have as much short game spin as the NOP.

The best part is the durabilty since I can shred a Prov1 with one wedge shot it got to be an expensive ball to play. The NOP holds up good(about 18 holes) The Taylormade was not much better than the prov, but the srixon is great I can almost get a round and a half out of one vs 9 holes or less with the Taylormade and Prov

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I've always loved the Pro Vs but wanted to find something different to avoid the "that's my ball" and the high price.

I've found the Hogan Tour Deep and HX Tour to be more than comparable in distance and feel and I've been able to find lower prices.

Unfortunately the Hogan Tour Deep has been discontinued. I heard that the HX Tour 56 plays closer to that ball than the HX Tour does. They should also be discounted now that the Tour ix is out.

Srixon Z-URC has now replaced the following for me Prov 1/1x Nike One Platinum, and Taylormade TP Red. I won some of the srixons decided to game it for a round and man is it great. It has good trajectory, low spin good distance on the driver and just enough spin on the irons to stop every club bag quickly. and last but not least it is a solid feeling ball around the greens and with the flatstick. Only negative is it does not have as much short game spin as the NOP.

The best part is the durabilty since I can shred a Prov1 with one wedge shot it got to be an expensive ball to play. The NOP holds up good(about 18 holes) The Taylormade was not much better than the prov, but the srixon is great I can almost get a round and a half out of one vs 9 holes or less with the Taylormade and Prov

I agree with the Srixon Z-series being durable. But I did notice one problem with it, but I'm sure its only aesthetic. After a few holes, the seam line becomes obvious and there is a small seam depression that runs across the equator of the ball. Ever notice that?

Callaway Tourix. The confidence I gain with this ball is worth its weight in gold.

How did you adjust to the putting feel? I seem to have had a problem with getting accustomed to the feel.

I agree with the Srixon Z-series being durable. But I did notice one problem with it, but I'm sure its only aesthetic. After a few holes, the seam line becomes obvious and there is a small seam depression that runs across the equator of the ball. Ever notice that?

Jick

I had never noticed that until now, I just pulled the ball that I used for my round last weekend and compared it to a new z-urc and the seam line is more prononced on the used one, I doesnt look like a depression to me, but you just look at it and can automatically tell where the seam is. It didnt seam to effect the playability at all. Last weekend I went 37-38 for a 75 and low round of the year for me used the same ball all round.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I only play a ball about 9 holes... between my wedges scuffing balls and a high Driver clubhead speed, that is as long as any ball including Pro V will last for me. More often, I am switching every 4 holes. I can see someone who is a short hitter with wedges that have worn grooves being able to use a ball forever...

I have never had a Pro V last an entire round.... in playable condition.

Look at this one.... brand new out of the box... lasted 4 holes.

send that back to Titleist and you'll get a whole new sleeve. maybe a nice letter accompanying the ball explaining the trouble it caused and you could score a whole dozen. worth a try...

Jick

I had never noticed that until now, I just pulled the ball that I used for my round last weekend and compared it to a new z-urc and the seam line is more prononced on the used one, I doesnt look like a depression to me, but you just look at it and can automatically tell where the seam is. It didnt seam to effect the playability at all. Last weekend I went 37-38 for a 75 and low round of the year for me used the same ball all round.

Yup, there is something about the seamline with the Srixon's and what's how it has always been with the Z-Series. It definitely doesn't affect play.

Congratulations on your magnificent round. I, too, have had personal bests with Srixons in the past. My personal consecutive birdie record is with a Z-UR. The only time I ever drove a green in a par 4 in my home course was with a Z-URS.

So it is indeed a quality tour ball, and a very good alternative to the ProV1. Good choice!

I am in the process of switching to ProV1 and ProV1X (both 2007) from B330, B330S, HX Tour 56, HX Tour, and TM TP Reds (originals).

I just ordered 3 dozen recycled Mint ProV1 2007's.

I am curious what made you switch TO the ProV1/X.

I play the ProV1x nowand debating if I can find the same distance/durability/short game feel out of some other ball. Never tried one yet that gives me that but not tried teh Srixon or B330s or Cally mentioned further up this post. Many perform similar from what I read and hear but I do not want to shred balls. I like the V1x because I can stop it without having it spin way back on me (that is a game with which I am not familiar - I have a hard enough time getting my distance right, never mind factoring in backspin).

anyone have thoughts on other balls not shredding like the ProV1x but still performing? Oh yeah, and fairways hit is not a stat that I ever get double digits on in a round, nor are greens hit - just to tell you I am not a pro hitting all the fairways and greens.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

What do Woods, Mickelson, Els, Sergio, Immelman, Sorenstam, and even last week's winner - Anthony Kim have in common?

Well, the answer is simple - none of them play a Titleist ball.

As of this week, only 5 of the top 17 in the World Rankings play Titleists. In the PGA Tour Money list, 7 out of 11 are non-Titleist users.

Titleist ads focus more on tour usage rather than performance benefits or technological advances. They have truly been trying to cash-in on their ball being a habit. But this trend seems to be losing steam as of late.

The top pros no longer use them, and this will have a trickle down effect to the others who will be influenced to move away from Titleist.

There is also the lawsuit Callaway filed again them where it was established that the ProV1 infringes on 8 out of the 9 patents in question. There is also the dark cloud about Titleist settling the lawsuit Bridgestone filed again them for patent infringement. Now when you buy a Titleist ball, a part of the price you pay is for the royalties it owes to Bridgestone for every ball sold.

With the technological espionage and the lack of advertising based on emprical stats or technological advances, Titleist's reputation is falling out of favor among many of its former users.

So to all of the former Pro V1 and Pro V1x users, what balls are you using now?

Er...the new Pro V1. A bit naive to say the top pros no longer use them. Titleist accounts for the biggest market share bar none. Mainly by pros thru choice NOT endorsement. 5 out of 17 is less than 35%. When you take the rest of the world top 100 into account....I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

What do Woods, Mickelson, Els, Sergio, Immelman, Sorenstam, and even last week's winner - Anthony Kim have in common?

Well, the answer is simple - none of them play a Titleist ball.

As of this week, only 5 of the top 17 in the World Rankings play Titleists. In the PGA Tour Money list, 7 out of 11 are non-Titleist users.

Titleist ads focus more on tour usage rather than performance benefits or technological advances. They have truly been trying to cash-in on their ball being a habit. But this trend seems to be losing steam as of late.

The top pros no longer use them, and this will have a trickle down effect to the others who will be influenced to move away from Titleist.

There is also the lawsuit Callaway filed again them where it was established that the ProV1 infringes on 8 out of the 9 patents in question. There is also the dark cloud about Titleist settling the lawsuit Bridgestone filed again them for patent infringement. Now when you buy a Titleist ball, a part of the price you pay is for the royalties it owes to Bridgestone for every ball sold.

With the technological espionage and the lack of advertising based on emprical stats or technological advances, Titleist's reputation is falling out of favor among many of its former users.

So to all of the former Pro V1 and Pro V1x users, what balls are you using now?

Er...the new Pro V1. A bit naive to say the top pros no longer use them. Titleist accounts for the biggest market share bar none. Mainly by pros thru choice NOT endorsement. 5 out of 17 is less than 35%. When you take the rest of the world top 100 into account....I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

I agree 100%, For me the Prov1x is better than the other premium balls and I have compared all of them side by side...

Of course I am aware of Titleist's domination in the ball counts. That is a given. What I meant by top pros are those in the higher world rankings, who used to be Titleist users but have switched out of Titleist - from Tiger, Ernie, Phil, and Sergio. Sure, you can ascribe contractual obligations but it seems Titleist are losing more top pros than they are gaining new ones. Even players who play for companies that don't make balls - Ochoa, Sabatini, Norman come to mind - don't play Titleist. So while Titleist still dominates the usage count, it seems like there are more "former Titleist users" than there are "new Titleist users" among the top pros.

I agree 100%, For me the Prov1x is better than the other premium balls and I have compared all of them side by side...

Thanks for your input, but this thread isn't really intended for the Pro V1 and Pro V1x users - but its a poll for the "former Pro V1 / Pro V1X users." I totally respect your opinion.

I currently play the Nike One Black. The main reason I switched from the Pro V1X was for durability. I loved the ball but just couldn't afford it.

As has been stated many times the pros play what they are paid to play. But if you also look at it most of them spend some time with the clubs/ball that they have been playing even after signing a deal with a new company. This just goes to show that any big name player can win with any companys clubs/balls in the bag if given time to adjust to the equipment and work with the club makers to come up with something to fit what they want.

The biggest thing is to find what works for you and not worry with what other people are being paid to play.

I am in the process of switching to ProV1 and ProV1X (both 2007) from B330, B330S, HX Tour 56, HX Tour, and TM TP Reds (originals).

I just ordered 3 dozen recycled Mint ProV1 2007's.

I am curious what made you switch TO the ProV1/X.

I play the ProV1x nowand debating if I can find the same distance/durability/short game feel out of some other ball. Never tried one yet that gives me that but not tried teh Srixon or B330s or Cally mentioned further up this post. Many perform similar from what I read and hear but I do not want to shred balls. I like the V1x because I can stop it without having it spin way back on me (that is a game with which I am not familiar - I have a hard enough time getting my distance right, never mind factoring in backspin).

anyone have thoughts on other balls not shredding like the ProV1x but still performing? Oh yeah, and fairways hit is not a stat that I ever get double digits on in a round, nor are greens hit - just to tell you I am not a pro hitting all the fairways and greens.

Let's see, I think this is chronological (please note I only buy premium "tour" level balls when I find a deal on them):

TP Reds didn't really go anywhere off the tee for me (more likely due to a poorly fit driver, but then again it was on the short range off the irons too). It was one hop and stop off full 53* which was nice.

TP Blacks were a little clicky and definitely did not go anywhere off the tee for me- different driver that I hit very consistently. The TM TP's were both the originals.

Cally HX Tour 56- cover shreds easily (doesn't really affect spin though), ball sucks back 15-25' on full 53* <- I don't like that. Off the tee it was pretty straight and distance wise is fine. I gamed these about a year ago and as recently as this week- just to use them up and see if they still spun too much. They do.

Cally HX Tour- this ball was pretty good for me, lacked a little short game spin but was easy to adjust to. At some point, the Cally graphic just ends up bothering me . . . at first I like lining up the chevron, then I just want a white ball looking back at me . . . this is a pretty good ball.

B330S- feels 'heavy' at impact. It is not clicky or squishy . . . just heavy? I just ran out of these and never bothered buying them again. Good consistent distance. Predictable greenside. Putted heavy. I would play these again or at least try out the new 4 layer iteration.

NXT Tours '07? newer ones- they were practically giving them away so I tried some. Good overall ball, if I had to always pay full price these would be a contender.

B330- these were my gamers for a while. Straighter off the tee compared to the other balls (note the TP's were pretty straight, they just didn't go anywhere). Decent greenside spin. Putted nicely- at that time I was using an insert putter for the first time so they complemented each other. Clicky off the irons and they felt 'light' or barely there at impact- they just went and I liked them. Consistent performer once I adjusted to the feel of it.

The reason I switched or am switching to ProV1 2007 models is that I kind an unscientific shoot out between my last B330S, a ProV1 05, and ProV1/X.

The ProV1 '05 spun a little weird- either too much or too little on full short irons and chips. It ended up pull hooked into the creek.

I picked up two ball sample packs of the 2007 ProV1 and ProV1X at Golfsmith. They were free! My favorite price. I played that B330S head to head with the ProV1 and ProV1X on different days . . . I just had more birdie looks with the ProV1's.

Distance and spin were all pretty similar and consistent- most importantly not too much on full wedge shots. The main difference came down to feel- I like the feel I get off of full shot with the ProV1 series.

The unscientific part is on the same day (multiple rounds) switching back and forth between the first ball and second ball on different holes (that way each ball got a fair shake as the infamous Player B), I just had way more birdie looks and a higher conversion rate (converted 3/5 birdie chances in 13 holes, 2/4 conversion in 9 holes (plus 1 birdie that I chipped in so 3 birdies in 9 holes) the last two times out with the ProV1- I'm usually in the 0 for 2 or 1 for 3 range not used to getting so many birdie putts).

When I played the ProV1 exclusively I had more looks than I usually get and converted at a higher rate than normal . . . I supposed the minor differences in performance just adds up.

I am swinging a lot better than I ever have. My short game is a lot cleaner. I figured I try out the other balls in my closet before the ProV1 arrived . . . haven't converted a birdie in the last 12-15 holes using the other balls- 0 for 6 or something . . . I'm still hitting a similar amount of fairways and greens (slightly more actually), but not scoring well.

If I were more analytical, I could give you the up and down conversions and proximity to the hole type of numbers, but I don't have them. I just have anecdotal evidence that I score better with the 2007 ProV1. Seems like I chip it closer, when I hit a green it's closer, and when I putt- more of them drop. I saw a good price on mint recycled . . . less than $20 a dozen shipped, so I jumped on it.

Longest post ever for me . . . I guess that can happen if you have to start and stop a bunch.