What Ball Replaced The ProV1/ProV1x For You?

jick

Let me point out a few facts...

FACT 1: 99.9999%of tour players get paid to play whatever ball they play.

FACT 2: TITLEIST pays the most money to the most players.

FACT 3: A tour player will not play a ball that will lose him money

FACT 4: No tour player will lose money playing with any of the top balls by any manufacturer

FACT 5: They can get paid significant money for using just the ball but more if they have a head to toe with the ball included.

FACT 6: Companies have budgets, once they are out of Tour payola, that's it. Smaller companies with smaller budgets have fewer players using their ball and that is the main reason why. Titleist has enough payola to cover every player if they could get them.

FACT 7: Titleist started out with the most players. Just about every player using another ball today used to be with Titleist.

FACT 8: A lot of tour players make more off the course than on... start with Tiger and Phil...

FACT 9: If company X has enough $$$ they can have anybody they want playing their ball if it is in the ballpark performance wise.

The conclusion I draw is you really have no idea anymore whether a player uses a particular ball (club, bag, shirt, shoe) becuse it is better or because it is just good enough... because they are ALL getting paid...

I don't doubt for a minute that some subset of tour players play a specific ball because they think it plays better, but I would tell them to their faces they have never won or lost a penny in the last 3 years because of using one ball over another. Just like us weekend players it is all between the ears. I sure can't blame the ball for any of my bad rounds nor give it credit for the good ones...

Asbestos underwear in place.... fire away.

Thanks for the facts.

It's not really all about the money. Otherwise, Tiger would have switched putters by now. I am sure Nike would be willing to pay him a large sum to use their putters.

Ochoa is sponsored by Ping, Sabbatini by Adams. Both can play whatever balls they choose since their sponsor doesn't make balls. They didn't go to Titleist. On the same vein, Taylormade sponsors Kenny Perry but he doesn't use their balls yet. It also took a while for Goosen to move to the Taylor Made ball.

Pros get paid but they aren't dumb enough to endorse equipment or accept money to use stuff that they don't feel is best for their games. After all, 99.99% of pros get paid to play whatever they put in play - so money and endorsement is a given. It comes down to preference and the brand they believe in.

Tiger Woods, Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia - they were all former Titleist users. Now they are better players than they were when they used Titleist balls - except maybe for Els who you could make a case against. If all these big names switched because of money, it means Titleist freed up a lot of money. How come they don't have a big-name endorser? I don't consider Scott or Stricker in the appeal level as Tiger-Ernie-Phil and I am sure they are paid much cheaper than the three I mentioned.

I believe, and I don't have the data to verify it, that while Titleist still leads in the ball count - that lead is greatly diminishing especially among the top players.

Golf is such a difficult sport that the difference between world #2 and #100 is down to a couple of lip-outs a round. Because it is so small, these pros cannot compromise their eqiupment. Before, you could combine all the other manufacturers in the top 20 other than Titleist, and Titleist will still win the ball count.

Now that is not the case.

So back to my original question, because I am also confused about what ball to use since there are so many good balls in the market now: To all the former Titleist ProV1/ProV1x users, what ball did you switch to and why?

Thanks a lot.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger Woods, Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia - they were all former Titleist users. Now they are better players than they were when they used Titleist balls - except maybe for Els who you could make a case against. If all these big names switched because of money, it means Titleist freed up a lot of money.

Trust me they all left for more money.

Tiger Woods, Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia - they were all former Titleist users. Now they are better players than they were when they used Titleist balls - except maybe for Els who you could make a case against. If all these big names switched because of money, it means Titleist freed up a lot of money.

I agree 100% with that....... Look at the contracts that they gave each of those players, I think that any of those players would perform the same with any of the top balls..

Each person should go out and try all the premium balls and find which one works best for them. I did that and tested the B330 and TourIX against the Prov1x and the Prov1x won easily for me. Distance off the tee was best with Prov1x and iron shots were all within 1-2 yards of each other, short iron Prov1x was the best, greenside and putting Prov1x won hands down, for feel the prov1x won. Now I did this test 3 different times at the same course, and the Prov1x won easily for me........

I agree 100% with that....... Look at the contracts that they gave each of those players, I think that any of those players would perform the same with any of the top balls..

Each person should go out and try all the premium balls and find which one works best for them. I did that and tested the B330 and TourIX against the Prov1x and the Prov1x won easily for me. Distance off the tee was best with Prov1x and iron shots were all within 1-2 yards of each other, short iron Prov1x was the best, greenside and putting Prov1x won hands down, for feel the prov1x won. Now I did this test 3 different times at the same course, and the Prov1x won easily for me........

They all left for the money...you know this for a fact?

Does anyone remember when Phil phoned a Callaway Exec to praise them on the job they did on the HX Tour ball? IIRC, the phone call was made after Phil played in a silly season event with CHIII and he was amazed how consistent the ball was in the wind and around the green. That was the end of Phil with Titleist. I believe it was Phil that approached Callaway about sponsoring him too.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

I would think since PGA Tour players' pay cheque depend on performance that they would select their golf balls based on performance of the golf ball not the dollars they get from the manufacturer. I think we are all aware that there is "pay for play" money on Tour but I think for a PGA Tour player the money isn't something that would sway them to one ball manufacturer over another. Maybe on the mini Tours the money would be enough to get guys to switch but do you think the PGA Tour guys are at home waiting impatiently for the mailman to arrive with their endorsement cheque?! I sure don't! Just like the rest of their bag, the stuff has to perform the way they want or it's not getting played. Titleist has a strong hold on the PGA Tour because many guys don't have head to toe deals with their main sponsor. Titleist steps in to fill the void with a Titleist ball, FJ or Titleist glove and FJ golf shoe deal.

Mike

Let me point out a few facts...

FACT 1: 99.9999%of tour players get paid to play whatever ball they play.

FACT 2: TITLEIST pays the most money to the most players.

FACT 3: A tour player will not play a ball that will lose him money

FACT 4: No tour player will lose money playing with any of the top balls by any manufacturer

FACT 5: They can get paid significant money for using just the ball but more if they have a head to toe with the ball included.

FACT 6: Companies have budgets, once they are out of Tour payola, that's it. Smaller companies with smaller budgets have fewer players using their ball and that is the main reason why. Titleist has enough payola to cover every player if they could get them.

FACT 7: Titleist started out with the most players. Just about every player using another ball today used to be with Titleist.

FACT 8: A lot of tour players make more off the course than on... start with Tiger and Phil...

FACT 9: If company X has enough $$ they can have anybody they want playing their ball if it is in the ballpark performance wise.

The conclusion I draw is you really have no idea anymore whether a player uses a particular ball (club, bag, shirt, shoe) becuse it is better or because it is just good enough... because they are ALL getting paid...

I don't doubt for a minute that some subset of tour players play a specific ball because they think it plays better, but I would tell them to their faces they have never won or lost a penny in the last 3 years because of using one ball over another. Just like us weekend players it is all between the ears. I sure can't blame the ball for any of my bad rounds nor give it credit for the good ones...

Asbestos underwear in place.... fire away.

I always enjoy your posts however I tend to disagree with this one. I liked the Taylormade Red I really did. I liked the IX even more especially off the tee. However when it comes down to where it really matter I for one KNOW that the X is a better ball for me. I cannot get the other two to dance like I can the X. I have sat there with a shag bag full of titleists mixed in with one or two other balls and whenever i hit one of the others it will react differently on the green. I feel like for me the X is simply a superior ball I really do. What else is funny is even though the red and ix seem to fly flatter they dont go any further for me. Odd Odd.

Thanks for the compliment!

I don't think any of the available pro line balls are "better" than another... I LIKE all of them (there are no balls that I once liked and now no longer like) I can play any Pro V, Nike, TM, Bridgestone, Top Flite... and I am going to screw up anyways and shoot 70 something...

Sometimes I hit wedges too long and because I happened to have a V1 it spins back to the hole and I look like a genius... Sometimes I hit a shot too short but because I happened to be using a TM red... it checks once and sits right by the hole... I again look like pro... Mostly though, I hit shots that are typical of a 2-5 hcp. so my choice of ball will make zero difference in my score... I am just too inconsistent; as is every other single digit amateur... if we were more consistent, we would have a plus handicap and be playing with the big boys. I guess we can pretend :rolleyes:

Speaking of the big boys I think A LOT (not all) of pros look at it the same way, if Nike (TM, Titleist, Callaway, Srixon, Bridgestone...) is going to pay me $100K to play their gear with significant bonuses for wins and top 10's I can learn to like ONE of their balls... I have heard of some guys even playing different balls (within the brand of course) based on conditions... now THAT is getting fancy!

Just for fun, look at the approved ball list... pretty interesting reading, you will see a bunch of balls that never see a retail shelf. There are a few "special" balls out there.

I like this discussion because it shows how much influence manufacturers exert on the masses through their payola system... maybe not the guys on this forum (at least that they will admit) but how many Tiger fans do you know that play Nike balls? Phil fans that play Callaway? Not sure who the poster child for Titleist is these days? TM gets the Sergio fans... The companies would not be paying the pros A LOT of money if it didn't work.

For me, I am using the TM reds right now as a protest to Titleist's prices and the fact that I spin the ball a ton and the V1x still spins a little too much for me... but as I said above it really isn't gonig to matter I am not good enough...

Does anyone remember when Phil phoned a Callaway Exec to praise them on the job they did on the HX Tour ball? IIRC, the phone call was made after Phil played in a silly season event with CHIII and he was amazed how consistent the ball was in the wind and around the green. That was the end of Phil with Titleist. I believe it was Phil that approached Callaway about sponsoring him too.

What did Phil say on the phone call when he took a 9 on #13 at Torrey Pines? "Titleist...!" Had to have been the ball.

I am not t that brand loyal, I used to use the Pro V1 almost exclusivly but have found Bridgstone B330 and E5+ to be excellent balls, I also have a dozen NOP's from 2007 that I have not used that I got 1/2 price as well as 2007 Taylor TP Reds I got at Target for $22. A buddy of mine just gave me a dozen Callaway HX Tour 56's, all great balls. As long as they are in good condition, they spin around the green I will game them. I will use a NXT tour or extreme, Callaway Bite etc. or a Noodle if I am playing on a wet or soggy course and dont need spin. In summary if its free use them, if you can find a good deal buy them, if you want to waste your money on a ball that is more expensive and no better than the rest it's your money.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Drivers - Nothing happening there. Their novelty used to be their bore-thru, now they lost it. They will just be one in the pack. A composite crown doesn't make sense. Others have been doing it forever, while others have quit on that - Mizuno, TaylorMade (Japan), and Nike have been there and done that and moved away. Now Titleist is last on the parade. Their drivers will surely tank but will maintain small pockets of followers who seek pear-shaped heads - which only Titleist does well.

Fairway Woods - Since when has Titleist ever been a competitor in the fairway wood market anyway? Their fairway wood doesn't break new ground.

Hybrids - Zzzzzz....

Wedges - Interesting. Hopefully all the options will be available in retail and the product line will be as diverse as Clevelands and with different grinds. But this will be a risk as the average joe won't know the difference in grinds and will just confuse the customer. So it is a double-edged sword but a lot of potential here.

Putters - You can thrown the center shaft See-More wannabe. The Squareback prototypes were an exercise in futility until this version. I think it is a brilliant move on Cameron's part to make the Squareback have the double bend shaft and face-balanced because that kind of shape lends itself better to the mallet, double bend shaft users.

All in all, it is an interesting product line but it won't convert other users or win new fans.

I'd really be more interested to see what ball they put out for 2009. It would be nice to see Titleist building a ball with their own senses without violating other patents. Can they still do it and maintain their performance and loyal followers? We'll just have to see.

Hmmmm, who wrote this little jem of a review of Titys new 09 line based on a couple of snap shots.

My question was directed to "former Titleist users" - so if you are a current user, then you probably did not make a switch. I just wanted to know what balls these players switched to.

The problem is the ball choices now are really confusing. The Tour iX is incredible in the wind, the Nike One Platinums are the best inside 50 yards and around the greens, the Tourstage X-01R4 seems to be a complete package, the performance of the HX Tour 56 and Srixon Z-UR lines have really amazed me, the Nike One Black and HX Tour are just solid performers.

At the end of the day, its hard to commit to one ball but it would be great if I could.

That is why I need the help of the "former Titleist user".

Off-Topic: As for the accusations about me having a Titleist hate-fest, that is the furthest from the truth. A few months ago I just ordered a customized Ping Redwood, then switched to a Ben Hogan Bettinardi carbon steel, but now I am back to my trusty Scotty Cameron putter. Why would I use a product I hate? It just doesn't make sense.

Icky, its okay to crack on Titleist if you need to . . . if it makes you feel better. Titleist deserves it as much as anyone.

But at least man up and admit your a Titleist crank. Otherwise your just a sniveling, little monkey throwing poo.

Oh and I made the switch from new pro-V1x's to lightly used and slightly soggy prov1x's years ago. Paying $50 or even $40 for a dozen golf balls, of any kind, is ludicrious. $19.99 for more experienced yet somewhat wayward golf balls is the way to go. Rest of OEMS are close to catching pro-Vs, after what 5 years now, but not quite.

As always there are plenty of titleist threads for you to drop in on to take a dump, you don't have to waste cyberspace starting your own.

I guess I don't see why it is a big deal if he cracks on Titleist or not.... I read his club review and I agree with some of it and disagree with some of it. In the end it is his opinion... Guess what, there are brands I can't stand just as I'm sure there are brands that others can't stand. Doesn't mean they are any better of worse than the brand you or I play. Again just opinion - which is what makes sites like this great! This site starts to loose that luster when someone gets ripped or poked at for stating an opinion.

anyways...

I still play the prov1 but also play the B330, E5+ and E6+..... all great balls IMO. The e5+ performs like a prov1 for me.

I guess I don't see why it is a big deal if he cracks on Titleist or not.... I read his club review and I agree with some of it and disagree with some of it. In the end it is his opinion... Guess what, there are brands I can't stand just as I'm sure there are brands that others can't stand. Doesn't mean they are any better of worse than the brand you or I play. Again just opinion - which is what makes sites like this great! This site starts to loose that luster when someone gets ripped or poked at for stating an opinion.

Well Said

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I would bet my old fluid feel staff sandwedge with the black music note that The big name players that left Titelist Tiger Ernie Phil Sergio did so for more money than Titelist was paying them.

Well Said

No doubt ignorant and baseless opinions make this and many other sites go round. But I'm not smacking OP for his opinion, just his assertion that he is some independant arbiter on a good natured search for the perfect golf ball. Your boy jick seems to pop up on lots of titleist discussions like an itchy rash. Always spouting off inflammatory dicta, obviously for effect, which he often gets.

Funny thing about this thread is it was already totally covered by 63Brummie in a thread started days ago. anyone who wanted to pump another ball over pro-V1 without all the hype - there you go.

Even more funny, if you will all be honest, you have to admit if you got put in room with a dozen pro-v1's and a dozen of all the other balls mentioned here and were told going in you could walk out with only one box for free, you would all be running out of there with the pro-v1s under your arm like you stole something.

Well Said

No doubt ignorant and baseless opinions make this and many other sites go round. But I'm not smacking OP for his opinion, just his assertion that he is some independant arbiter on a good natured search for the perfect golf ball. Your boy jick seems to pop up on lots of titleist discussions like an itchy rash. Always spouting off inflammatory dicta, obviously for effect, which he often gets.

Funny thing about this thread is it was already totally covered by 63Brummie in a thread started days ago. anyone who wanted to pump another ball over pro-V1 without all the hype - there you go.

Even more funny, if you will all be honest, you have to admit if you got put in room with a dozen pro-v1's and a dozen of all the other balls mentioned here and were told going in you could walk out with only one box for free, you would all be running out of there with the pro-v1s under your arm like you stole something.

Do you feel better now?? Perhaps he had some sinister motive to smack Titleist or perhaps he was looking for a different golf ball. Again - what does it matter?? I'm guessing you could have just passed on by this thread instead of spewing stuff like this....

I've managed to get my grubby mitts on some of the 2008 One Platinums and they are the best ball I've ever played.

I agree Titleist BUYs more players than any other manufacturer. It is all "pay to play" on tour and Titleist currently has the deepest pockets.

Nike's pockets are definitely deeper than the Acushnet Company

Well Said

Do you feel better now?? Perhaps he had some sinister motive to smack Titleist or perhaps he was looking for a different golf ball. Again - what does it matter?? I'm guessing you could have just passed on by this thread instead of spewing stuff like this....

Trust me, I do pass 99% of the time, but jicky's posts just cry out - smack me. I feel obligated. Its all good, you don't need to stumble in here singing We Are the World . . . save it for somebody deserving.

Well Said

Trust me, I do pass 99% of the time, but jicky's posts just cry out - smack me. I feel obligated. Its all good, you don't need to stumble in here singing We Are the World . . . save it for somebody deserving.

It is all good - From reading some of your other posts you are a Titleist fan or atleast use their gear (so I assume you are a fan) so I get it. Believe it or not I'm a Titleist fan as well...

We are the world..... we are the children..... :rolleyes:

fitz888 has a point if pro v1's were free everyone would be playing them.

My self I work to hard to throw away 50.00, OK my wife won't let me throw it away.

I could be like my 4 yr. old who looves the spongebob in the 6 pack for 4.99 and has to do chores for them and to play his 25 yrd drive away from the water I can afford those for me e6+ half the price of pro v1's but if they were more competitive with the others they could get more of my money, untill then i'll keep the e6+and thank god i dont have to play a beta ti, or topflite

If I had the choice I would still take the 08 Nike one platinums but thats just me, thats a choice I make every time I buy a dozen since they are the same price now anyways.

Btw as I said before I am a huge titleist fan and will prob have at least a few of their sticks in the bag, I just shred the Pro V's too easily.

I was in agreement with mab1633 that we all have our opinions. Some of us choose to express them when they are positive and some express them more when they are negative. Me I personaly I dont see the point in ripping one thing over and over again, but I am a fairly noob here and dont know the history some of you may have with each others posts. Sorry if thats a bit redundant dont want to :rolleyes:

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

For me the path was

Strata Tour Ultimate (changed when they went out of production)

Callaway HX Red (changed when they went out of production)

Titleist ProV1 (changed because I somehow didn't like them off the tee and I was getting occasionally WILD spin off full SW/LW - only rarely but enough to be irritating)

Been playing Pro V1x'es for about 18 months now

dave

I've managed to get my grubby mitts on some of the 2008 One Platinums and they are the best ball I've ever played.

I agree Titleist BUYs more players than any other manufacturer. It is all "pay to play" on tour and Titleist currently has the deepest pockets.

Nike's pockets are definitely deeper than the Acushnet Company

Agreed

Good thing they don't share Titleist's obsession with the Tour ball count... Titleist has bet the farm on it... Nike could make a run at it if it so pleased them, but they don't seem interested in doing many ball only deals... They want to sell apparel and shoes.... hard goods are just part of the overall branding strategy...

Also, Nike does look at golf as a stand alone business unit and budgets for marketing and promotion in line with revenues from this segment... otherwise we might be watching the Nike (formerly known as the PGA) Tour with commisioner Phil Knight taking over from Tim Fincham....

I am guessing they will never flex their financial muscle to avoid anti-trust problems. They need to keep a few other competitors around.

BTW, I have never bought Nike balls nor owned any of their golf clubs, I do have a couple pairs of their golf shoes though.