Royal Precision Rifle Project X

I've just ordered some r7 TP's with Rifle Project X 6.5's. I'm concerned they're going to be too stiff. I've been playing the RAC TP MB's with Rifle 6.0 Flighted for a couple of years but am after a club that's a little easier to hit. I have a 6 iron swing speed of 85mph and carry of 180yds.... I play off 8. Any thoughts guys?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched from mp 32 with s300 to mp 57 with 5.5 pro x shafts...I have been struggling with the new shafts..

I seem to have lost at least a club on each iron, and the flight has been ballooning on me. My pro seems to think that it is the lag in my swing, perhaps requiring more of a stiffer tip to control the ball flight.

I would recommend that you try them before switching. Also, try the 6.0 pver the 5.5...

Hi All,

I took my clubs to a fitter. I carried a Titleist 735 w/ a s-300 6 iron and my Cally fusion 6-iron w sensicore s-300 for comparison. We frequency analyzed these two against a Titleist AP2 with a PX 5.5. The results surprised me. The AP2 was stiffer by frequency than both of the s-300's. The fitter is a master fitter and has won many awards for his work. When I asked him before testing he said the 5.5 was stiffer than the s-300. I have to admit, I'm a little neurotic about my sticks so I said let's measure as I was doubting him after reading so many post here to the contrary.

Results:

AP2 w/ PX 5.5 - 322 cpm

Tity 735 w/s-300- 314 cpm

Cally fusion w sensi s-300- 310'ish cpm

His fitting service allows him to switch shafts for many different heads. He put a 735 head on a 5.5 PX and it softened the feel tremendously at impact over the s-300. For me, I liked this as I do not like the feel of any s-300 without sensicore. For what it's worth, find someone who can do this fitting for you or someone who can analyze your clubs with a frequency analyzer. The results are definitely worth the time and effort if you can't make up your mind.

• 3 weeks later...

A proven winner on the PGA Tour, this complex RIFLE features a different constant taper per inch for each shaft in the set. Longer taper rate results in more energy transfer to the ball. The ball gets up faster and flattens out for a penetrating trajecory.

Are there new stickers on the project X shafts? mine is an project X with a sticker that looks like a combination of the Project X and the Project X flighted, they look a little different then the one below, there is an different cross and the text rifle in the cross is missing, they look like Project X flighted stickers without the word flighted on them.

post-11-1138493932.jpg.

• 4 weeks later...

FALSE. I play PX 5.5's hardstepped in my Cally X-Forged wedges and the spin it incredible. While it has taken a bit to get used to, you can be sure they don't "run out."

Do any of you guys play PX's in your wedges? I've heard that because they are a low spin shaft, wedge shots release more and don't get as much spin in comparison to DG's. I've currently got 6.0's in my 695mb's and love them. I'm thinking about switching my wedge shafts to PX too, but wondering if it might be a good idea to go with something softer like a 5.5.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I'm thinking of getting a combo set of the Cobra Pro CB/MB and was wondering which PX shaft I should go with, the 5.5 or 6.0?

I currently play a set of Titleist 680 DG S300. Carry 9=140 7=165 5=185. Driver club head speed is around 110.

I will gladly accept any advice that anyone has!

Thanks

You're distances are relatively close to mine.  I'm about 8-10 yards I'd say longer.  Driver speed is 112.  I'm trying 6.5's.  Ive tested the 6.0 they were a little too flexible for me.  But I would say the 6.0 would be good for you.  I saw a site saying 6.0/6.5 were stiff but others say 6.5 is xstiff.  Try the 6.0's to be safe

Mizuno ST200 10.5* - Tensei Blue 70x
Ping G 13* - Tour 80x
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi - 3i Mitsubishi Tensei White 90TX
Mizuno MP-18 4-9 C Taper Lite X
Mizuno T7 46/53/58
Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a combo set of the Cobra Pro CB/MB and was wondering which PX shaft I should go with, the 5.5 or 6.0?

I currently play a set of Titleist 680 DG S300. Carry 9=140 7=165 5=185. Driver club head speed is around 110.

I will gladly accept any advice that anyone has!

Thanks

Comeing from a set of 690Mb's with simular distances and driver SS as well, I went to the PX 5.5, I got fitted into them and at first I was sceptic but after playing them I believe this to be the absolute right shaft for me.

After playing with my PX 6.5's a few rounds, I love them a lot.  I thought they were going to be too stiff for me but I hit nice draws and I normally would hit fades.  They are really accurate for me and I can do different types of shots with them.  They work really well for knock downs I think.  To me, you need to take somewhat of a divot to get the best performance out of them. I gained about a half club on the longer irons and I'm still the same distance with 7-PW, just a lot more accurate.  Recommend them to any one who needs a shaft that can perform different shots with accuracy.

Mizuno ST200 10.5* - Tensei Blue 70x
Ping G 13* - Tour 80x
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi - 3i Mitsubishi Tensei White 90TX
Mizuno MP-18 4-9 C Taper Lite X
Mizuno T7 46/53/58
Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

• 4 weeks later...

I have PX 5.0 in my Mizuno's, Black Gold reg flex soft stepped x2 in my A-10's and DG 300 R's hard steped x1 in my 78 Wilson tour blades. I've blue printed the clubs and have spined all of the shafts. They all feel really good; each has a little different feel, but all feel good. I get more distance with the PX's and BG's.

IMO, many people get too stiff of a shaft, especially with the PX's. PX's are approximately 1/2 flex stiffer. That is to say a PX 5.0 is equal to a rifle shaft of 5.5. BG really play stiffer IMO. If one takes the time to get fitted for the correct shaft it will make a big difference, also blue printing & spining will make a big difference. I did notice a improvment in accuracy, but I'm think'n its more of the spining. I think the PX and BG are more demanding and subsequently is better suited for the mid to low hc'r.

To me the PX feels like the whole shaft kicks. The BG's have a little stiffer kick from approximately the lower half of the shaft and the DG's feel like they kick in the bottom quarter of the shaft. I have no complaints with any of them. I should note that although I have above average club head speeds I'm a swinger.

• 1 month later...

I got a set of Mizuno MP 57s with the Project X shafts. I had MP 37s with Nippon 1050s prior. They feel VERY DIFFERENT. I was uncomfortable with the Poject x from the start, but I decided to stick with them. I used them for the better part of the summer (2 months at least). I had some great rounds, but they never felt comfortable. I always felt like I was changing my swing to fit them instead of vice versa.

Generally the Project X feels very Harsh compared to the smooth feel of the Nippon. The PX was also shorter and I felt like I had to overswing which threw off my tempo.

I am back to the Nippons and the MP 37s.

Of note the Project X was a 5.0 (feels way stiffer). I tried the 6.0 first, then the 5.5 and the 5.0 felt best. The Nippon 1050 is an X flex (feels way softer). Strange I know, but it probably has something to do with the flex pattern.

I am a 3 handicap and my driver swing speed is 103 or so.

• 1 month later...

I've got to tell you, I have been playing these shafts for a year now and are unbelievable. I had the original rifles in 6.0 in a set of srixon I-506's. I have picked up 10 yards a club with the 5.5's and the mp-60s. I never thought a iron shaft would have this much of a difference! I played s300's and couldn't stop hitting high balloons. I now hit high shots but they just plane out and land soft. I know it's weird but it is a penetrating high ball flight. I love these. They are the satin and I haven't hit the chrome... it will be a long time before I even try. These are staying in my bag for a long time!

• 2 months later...

Guys, general question here, im obviously not as clued up on shafts as you lot....

Got fitted yesterday at the Titliest national fitting centre (Scotland) for AP'2s, i was hitting the PX5.5's good for the first four or five shots. After a while, I started turning the ball over at the top. Still hitting the green but you could see the definate right to left at the top of the trajectory.

The guy reckoned i needed a stiffer shaft, so he recomends me a px-6. Problem was he didnt have px 6 in half inch long. So i hit it pretty straight with the regular length. Seemed to sort out the right to left. So I orderd what he recommended. PX6, half an inch long, 2 degrees upright.

So im panicking now i'll be getting something thats gonna destroy my game and i've just shelled out a tidy sum on it. How good and accurate are these fittings? Im not a pro, so its not like my swing will be the same every other day. Am i going to have to give every shot the full treatment with these things to make the club work?

Ive hit the demo versions in plenty ranges which will be with 5.5 on them and they are sweet. Is there a noticeable difference between 5.5 and 6?

Im probably just crapping myself here and next week when i get them, I'll love them.

I play off 6, so I know how to hit the ball.

ANY time you lengthen a Rifle or PX shaft you, effectively, stiffen it. SO a PX 5.5 at standard length will play even stiffer at a 1/2" over. I play to a +4 and IMHO, way to many people play their shafts too stiff. this goes for PX especially. Hit what you like but I can guarantee you that if you're playing the PX shafts too stiff, they will feel like pipes. Then again, that's just my opinion and what do I know. :rolleyes:

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

^ Thanks Highfade, you probably know more than me.

I went down to the range this afternoon, the guys that are due to be putting in the order to titliest for me tomorrow. Anyway, i spoke to their head pro, he took me out and had me hitting both px riffle 5.5 and 6. He thought my swing could handle 6 and would future proof me for game progression, but could tell I was hitting a big sweeter shots with the 5.5. I also just felt a bit more comfortable with the 5.5.

So we decided to change the order to 5.5.

Can't imagine it being to soft for me, considering I have been playing with regular fat shafts for the last 12 years!

Oh, and I love those AP'2s. Mine will be ready in 10 days!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

just my two cents...

moving from DG to PX takes quite an adjustment. The general sentiment is that S300 is roughly equivalent to 5.5. I played DG S300 in my irons (mizuno mp14s) for the last 12 years, and have always been a high ball hitter. I recently got a set of mizuno mp 57/67's in with px 6.0 shafts hoping that trajectory would be similar, feel would be livlier, distance similar and mishits less harsh.

Here's what I've noticed about the px 6.0:

Trajectory- way higher than DGs300

Feel - smoother and livlier than DGs300

Distance - about the same

Mishits- not as clanky or harsh as DGs300

I really like how easily the px loads- very smooth (but i do miss the heavier swingweight of an s300; the px's make the club feel lighter during the swing). The only true issue I have is that I find it darn near impossible to knock down anything shorter than a 6 iron. I get that same high, flat, straight ballflight no matter what. That consistency is double-edged; I love hitting it straight, but I miss that sawed-off, low flying 7 iron into a headwind.

Anyone else have this problem?

• 4 weeks later...

Guys.....got a question for you regarding PX shafts. I have played Tour Flighted Rifles for many years, and recently got a set of Miura 301's. Beautiful clubs, and had them shafted with the "recent rage" everyone is talking about, the KBS Tours. Bottom line is I don't like the way the KBS Tours feel so I've made the decision to reshaft them. I am seriously considering the Project X or the PX Flighted. I am a 6 capper, high ball hitter, my driver swing speed is about 105, 6 iron ss is 82-83. I'd appreciate any thoughts on what shaft you think I should try. I'm leaning towards a PX 5.5, but not sure if they spin more than the PX flighted, or play "harsher" than the PX flighted. Again, I'd appreciate any insights or personal experiences you can share. Thx

Guys.....got a question for you regarding PX shafts. I have played Tour Flighted Rifles for many years, and recently got a set of Miura 301's. Beautiful clubs, and had them shafted with the "recent rage" everyone is talking about, the KBS Tours. Bottom line is I don't like the way the KBS Tours feel so I've made the decision to reshaft them. I am seriously considering the Project X or the PX Flighted. I am a 6 capper, high ball hitter, my driver swing speed is about 105, 6 iron ss is 82-83. I'd appreciate any thoughts on what shaft you think I should try. I'm leaning towards a PX 5.5, but not sure if they spin more than the PX flighted, or play "harsher" than the PX flighted. Again, I'd appreciate any insights or personal experiences you can share. Thx

Your driver ss is the same as mine and I do like the flighted px 6.0's, tried the px 6.0 non flighted and they are just a little too low launch for 4 & 5 irons for me. Good luck!

My numbers are pretty much the same as yours and I am a swinger with a very smooth trnasition. I currently have PX 5.0's in a set of Missy's. I like the shaft, but I'm probably going to hard step them x1 to get them totally dialed.

• 3 weeks later...
Guys, general question here, im obviously not as clued up on shafts as you lot....

Got fitted yesterday at the Titliest national fitting centre (Scotland) for AP'2s, i was hitting the PX5.5's good for the first four or five shots. After a while, I started turning the ball over at the top. Still hitting the green but you could see the definate right to left at the top of the trajectory.

The guy reckoned i needed a stiffer shaft, so he recomends me a px-6. Problem was he didnt have px 6 in half inch long. So i hit it pretty straight with the regular length. Seemed to sort out the right to left. So I orderd what he recommended. PX6, half an inch long, 2 degrees upright.

So im panicking now i'll be getting something thats gonna destroy my game and i've just shelled out a tidy sum on it. How good and accurate are these fittings? Im not a pro, so its not like my swing will be the same every other day. Am i going to have to give every shot the full treatment with these things to make the club work?

Ive hit the demo versions in plenty ranges which will be with 5.5 on them and they are sweet. Is there a noticeable difference between 5.5 and 6?

Im probably just crapping myself here and next week when i get them, I'll love them.

I play off 6, so I know how to hit the ball.

I'd suggest hard stepping the 5.5 once or twice. I've read that when you step a shaft it is + or _ 2 cycles depending on which direction you go, (rifle shafts will be 3 cycles); in your case +. So effectively you could get the 5.5's to 5.7 or 5.9 depending. Now the bad news. I don't know of any OEM that will spine or step shafts for anyone except possibly tour players. Now kind of good news, its not that hard to pull shafts and put them back in; I'd suggest you spine them as long as you have them pulled. You can go on the internet and under shaft spining and get info on how to build a simple spine finder. Golfsmith has a club repair section on there web site that is very informative :drinks:

So the flighted version works ok to soft step? I was a little concerned about how they would preform softstepped compared to the regular PXs. Are there any concerns with that process at all with the flighteds?

KH

Generally better to hard step than soft step.

Stepping works on any shaft to my knowledge :beruo:

• 3 weeks later...

question for the PX experts...

I recently got fitted and had my irons (mx-23's) reshafted with TT XL Lites Stiff. They work well for me, but the 23's are worn and it's time for new irons. My fitting resulted in a shaft profile with a 5.5 flex (swing profile=Ramp) and the final build matched the flex. Reading through the posts here is sounds like the PX' play a little stiffer - so would a 5.0 be better or 5.5? The new irons will be MP-52's. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='VTHOKIES' post='232929' date='Jul 10 2006, 04:44 PM']I just reshafted my Mizuno MP 32's with the Project X 5.5 shafts. I have always played the TTDG S-300 but switched to the X 5.5's. I was a little concerned that the 5.5's would be a little weak but they have worked out extremely well. I love the feel and the flight of the ball and I am able to work the ball very well. This shaft is great into the wind and just has a better feel than the Dyn. golds.[/quote]

I also play with MP-32 and thinking about putting Project X or KBS in my irons. Never had a problem with getting the ball up, can you give me the PROS and CONS on these two shaft? I'm very conflicted on my decision, which shaft should I go with. If anyone can give some advice, I have narrow my choice between these two. Thanks in advance.