2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Changing golf balls during the round.....

OB is one of those rules that i kiinda wish had two versions: One for tournaments, etc and another for the hackers. I always hit a provisional if I think I hit one out but a number of the hackers I have played with don't necessarily hit one. And more than once, we've hit a ball that is close but didn't think on the tee went out but actually did.

Now with no one behind you, going back to the tee to hit another tee shot is fine. But if there are two-three groups on the tee behind you, I can guarantee that many people will be upset by your going back. And in all probability, at least some rangers will be visiting you and asking why you are holding up play. He's not likely to be overly sympathetic when you tell him you're following the rules by walking back to the tee because of an OB situation. Granted its against the rules, but much better overall just to drop a ball near where you went OB, take the stroke and keep moving. I've actually seen almost fights because of person walking back to the tee to rehit when it was super slow and very crowded. For me, its just not worth it. I know the rule and try to follow it when I can but there are situations where practicality and common sense override the USGA and the rules police. And I wish the USGA would amend its rules to include this situation so we could follow the rules better.

But your mileage may very and you might want to be a super stickler for following the rules all the time. Just remember that not everyone likes to wait for the person to take that much time on a busy day.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some like to play golf. Others choose to play The Game of Golf.

I don't really see the problem with going back to a previous spot or back to the tee. We have almost zero rain this year so the course I play is unusually firm. When it firms up, you get very strange bounces and balls that would always be in play suddenly roll into the woods, hazards, and OB.

How about watching this debacle today of me on the 6th hole. We're waiting on every shot. I hit driver into the woods right. I hit a provisional down the middle. I walk to the woods, about 250 out, take a token look for the ball and accidentally find it. My only option from there is to rehit from the previous spot the lie was so bad. I catch a ride back to the tee. I pull hook my 3rd shot into the woods left. I hit a provisional for that ball that I also pull hook into the woods. I figured one of them must have popped out as they both hit trees really hard. I found the first ball. It was in the fairway about 50 yards off the tee. Hitting my 4th shot, I hit my 3wood straight into the woods that I had hit my 1st shot. Luckily I found it and it was playable, so I didn't go back.

Totally lost the group ahead of us on the 6th hole. By the 8th tee box, a short par 3, we were waiting for the green to clear again.

On a "slow course" I have no qualms at all going back to the tee. Our group will catch up. On a fast course I'd be hesitant to do it in casual play because we WOULD be holding up the course. But on a slow course, it'll make zero difference.

[quote name='mwmgolfx' timestamp='1430852730' post='11504231']
OB is one of those rules that i kiinda wish had two versions: One for tournaments, etc and another for the hackers. I always hit a provisional if I think I hit one out but a number of the hackers I have played with don't necessarily hit one. And more than once, we've hit a ball that is close but didn't think on the tee went out but actually did.

Now with no one behind you, going back to the tee to hit another tee shot is fine. But if there are two-three groups on the tee behind you, I can guarantee that many people will be upset by your going back. And in all probability, at least some rangers will be visiting you and asking why you are holding up play. He's not likely to be overly sympathetic when you tell him you're following the rules by walking back to the tee because of an OB situation. Granted its against the rules, but much better overall just to drop a ball near where you went OB, take the stroke and keep moving. I've actually seen almost fights because of person walking back to the tee to rehit when it was super slow and very crowded. For me, its just not worth it. I know the rule and try to follow it when I can but there are situations where practicality and common sense override the USGA and the rules police. And I wish the USGA would amend its rules to include this situation so we could follow the rules better.

But your mileage may very and you might want to be a super stickler for following the rules all the time. Just remember that not everyone likes to wait for the person to take that much time on a busy day.
[/quote]

I'm curious as to how you do things when one person in your group, fearing he's OB, hits a provisional to the left rough -- while another in your group thinks he'll find his ball in the left rough and then discovers it's OB. The guy who didn't hit a provisional takes a one stroke penalty and drops? He lies two hitting three, and the guy who did hit a provisional is lying three hitting four?

[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1430859854' post='11505139']

[/quote]

I'm curious as to how you do things when one person in your group, fearing he's OB, hits a provisional to the left rough -- while another in your group thinks he'll find his ball in the left rough and then discovers it's OB. The guy who didn't hit a provisional takes a one stroke penalty and drops? He lies two hitting three, and the guy who did hit a provisional is lying three hitting four?
[/quote]

Just saving the game is all!

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1430914803' post='11508715']
[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1430859854' post='11505139']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just saving the game is all!
[/quote]

Oh my, let's not save the game for the wrong people!

Sometimes when you hit the ball 300-330 yards off the tee, maybe over a dog leg with a baby draw, it happens that you find to the ball and get surprised it may have gone OB, or may not find the ball at all without having spotters that far from the tee. In the interest of not having to throw my staff bag on my back to walk back 3+ football lengths on a busy sunday morning, and back another 300-330 yards to my ball after I hit again, I'll just take a drop penalty and hit again.

[quote name='SplashShot' timestamp='1430925887' post='11509863']
Sometimes when you hit the ball 300-330 yards off the tee, maybe over a dog leg with a baby draw, it happens that you find to the ball and get surprised it may have gone OB, or may not find the ball at all without having spotters that far from the tee. In the interest of not having to throw my staff bag on my back to walk back 3+ football lengths on a busy sunday morning, and back another 300-330 yards to my ball after I hit again, I'll just take a drop penalty and hit again.
[/quote]

I think the point being made is that no one really minds how you deal with it, just as long as you recognize that the round has not being played in accordance with the Rules of golf.

[/quote]

You and Moe and Larry can play it any way you wish ... no one and nobody here cares. (That you feel the need to boast of your solution to your poor course management skills does say something, however.)

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

[quote name='sui generis' timestamp='1430931038' post='11510477']
[/quote]

[b]You and Moe and Larry[/b] can play it any way you wish ... no one and nobody here cares. (That you feel the need to boast of your solution to your poor course management skills does say something, however.)
[/quote]

Really ?

You say you don't care but here you are again on Page 2.

You have guys who KNOW they're not playing by the "Rules" and appear to be doing so to keep the course moving and you refer to them as The 3 Stooges ?

You "Rules Guys" are known to be (overly ?) pedantic but then words DO have meanings and in order to discern what the Rules "really" mean one often HAS to be so. And the cast majority of the time youse guys are almost PAINFULLY polite and calm.

But here are a couple of guys who know they're not playing strictly by the rules but want to make a fair game within their group, don't appear to care about a handicap and just want to keep the course moving, presumably for you guys who DO want to play by the rules and keep your handicaps accurate and the best you can do is "The 3 Stooges" ?

Perhaps you can look at it this way.

1) They're keeping the course moving.
2) Their handicaps, assuming they keep them, are artificially low - so if you ever do encounter them in a net event that MUST be played by the Rules YOU have a CLEAR advantage over them.
3) You don't care.

I'd say that's a win-win-win,,,,,,,, for you,,,,,,,,

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[/quote]

Just wondering if the primary purpose of your post is to tell us how you deal with your drive that is lost or that the drive was 300-330 yards. :D

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1430934169' post='11510811']
[/quote]

[b]You and Moe and Larry[/b] can play it any way you wish ... no one and nobody here cares. (That you feel the need to boast of your solution to your poor course management skills does say something, however.)
[/quote]

Really ?

You have guys who KNOW they're not playing by the "Rules" and appear to be doing so to keep the course moving and you refer to them as The 3 Stooges ?

You "Rules Guys" are known to be (overly ?) pedantic but then words DO have meanings and in order to discern what the Rules "really" mean one often HAS to be so. And the cast majority of the time youse guys are almost PAINFULLY polite and calm.

But here are a couple of guys who know they're not playing strictly by the rules but want to make a fair game within their group, don't appear to care about a handicap and just want to keep the course moving, presumably for you guys who DO want to play by the rules and keep your handicaps accurate and the best you can do is "The 3 Stooges" ?

2) Their handicaps, assuming they keep them, are artificially low - so if you ever do encounter them in a net event that MUST be played by the Rules YOU have a CLEAR advantage over them.
3) You don't care.

[/quote]

While I already reported the post that was a bit over the top in my opinion, in their defense you might want to look at SlapShot's avatar.. ;-)

It doesn't excuse their rudeness, however, but it gives it a direction.

You "Rules Guys" are known to be (overly ?) [b]pedantic[/b] [/quote]

"Curmudgeonly" is the preferred word.

[quote]
And the vast majority of the time youse guys are almost PAINFULLY polite and calm.
[/quote]

LOL!

I hadn't noticed Slapshot's avatar. I don't believe any lines were crossed.

Sincerely and respectfully (with a dash of politeness) yours,

HitEmTrue

[/quote]

I certainly have the potential to be wrong, but I viewed this now-controversial post as simply being witty. Not serious in any way. Staff bag and distances and all, maybe even self-effacingly witty in its true intention.

Please forgive me if I was inappropriately amused. (I openly admit I need to work on my potential for anger, it's sorely lacking. Much like my recent chipping.)

[quote name='lander215' timestamp='1430935148' post='11510941']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Really ?

3) You don't care.

[/quote]

While I already reported the post that was a bit over the top in my opinion, in their defense you might want to look at SlapShot's avatar.. ;-)

[/quote]

I generally don't look at avatars but i see it now. :cheesy:

So for that part I apologize to sui. :sorry:

However, I feel the points are still valid. (cool)

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1430962832' post='11513929']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Really ?

3) You don't care.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not to worry.

Sui acknowledges that once in a while when somebody storms in with his cap on backwards and wearing the "golf rools am stupid" tee shirt that he overreacts.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

[quote name='Sawgrass' timestamp='1430941668' post='11511703']
[/quote]

I certainly have the potential to be wrong, but I viewed this now-controversial post as simply being witty. Not serious in any way. Staff bag and distances and all, maybe even self-effacingly witty in its true intention.

Please forgive me if I was inappropriately amused. (I openly admit I need to work on my potential for anger, it's sorely lacking. Much like my recent chipping.)
[/quote]

It was my first "WRX" style post, just trying to fit in.. may have picked the wrong forum for it though :)

[quote name='sui generis' timestamp='1430964887' post='11514201']

[/quote]

Really ?

3) You don't care.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not to worry.

Sui acknowledges that once in a while when somebody storms in with his cap on backwards and wearing the "golf rools am stupid" tee shirt that he overreacts.
[/quote]

Sui is even more handsome in the third person.

[quote name='sui generis' timestamp='1430964887' post='11514201']

[/quote]

Really ?

3) You don't care.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not to worry.

[/quote]

Classy. Thanks. :hi:

Now that you got your shot in you can leave the thread alone,,,,,, as you seem to want to do so badly. :good:

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1430968225' post='11514545']
Does every rules thread end like this?
[/quote]

Pretty much. A few of the rules "experts" act like you've insulted their religion and get all huffy claiming they don't care and how they play real golf and others just play some other game on the golf course using golf balls and golf clubs.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jbucher' timestamp='1431999040' post='11582790']
To get back on track (cool) our Pacific Northwest fall and winter temps can be a bit chilly so I alternate balls every hole. Tee off with the warm one from my pocket. I have never read in our rule sheet
one ball rule.
Jimmy B :smilie_wilson:
[/quote]

Even with the "one ball" condition of competition implemented, at the start of any hole you may still change the specific ball you are using to the same brand/ model you have in your pocket.

[quote name='jbucher' timestamp='1431999040' post='11582790']
To get back on track (cool) our Pacific Northwest fall and winter temps can be a bit chilly so I alternate balls every hole. Tee off with the warm one from my pocket. I have never read in our rule sheet
one ball rule.
Jimmy B :smilie_wilson:
[/quote]

Just make sure it's only being warmed by your pocket.

If you put a hand warmer in your pocket then pocket the alternate ball to ALSO warm the ball (as well as your hands) I believe you'll be in breach of 14-3/13.5 Golf Ball Artificially Warmed.

[quote name='LeoLeo99' timestamp='1430974119' post='11514975']
[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1430968225' post='11514545']
Does every rules thread end like this?
[/quote]

Pretty much. A few of the rules "experts" act like you've insulted their religion and get all huffy claiming they don't care and how they play real golf and others just play some other game on the golf course using golf balls and golf clubs.
[/quote]

So in your opinion there is a stigma attached to knowing the rules and feeling that they were written for a greater purpose than just killing trees?