2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Pure Ball Striker Training Aid....

logan91201

Compression and the Line of Compression

Compression deformation of the ball.

The ball is resilient and this resilience is the key factor in ball response. Meaning that the ball bounces back to its original shape.

Different applications of force and direction determines the Line of Compression. Ideally, the player would like to be able to control their Line of Compression and be able to sustain that line of compression from impact through separation.

Many consider this line of compression to be the secret of G.O.L.F.

Impact and Separation is only 3/4 inch.

May consider sustaining the line of compression as extending the impact zone.

Allow the hands to lead the clubhead well into impact and to the bottom of the swing arc or Low Point with a forward leaning shaft approaching impact interval from the inside aft quadrant of the ball.

With irons the ball is played further from Low Point Plane Line so the club is traveling from Impact Plane Line towards Low Point Plane Line and LP is under the ground.

However, with the longer shafted clubs the ball location can be closer to Low Point and less divot.

You defined compression, but you didn't answer my question. How do you know WHEN you have compressed the ball? Do you feel it or do you know it by the ballflight and distance? I know that buttery smooth sweetspot feeling, but I'm not sure that's the same as compressing the ball properly?

Objectively and Subjectively!

Subjectively through the five senses. Maybe not taste or smell but you can see, feel, and hear it.

Objectively it can be measured in distance, high speed photos, ect.

it seems like modern grips where the thinnest point is the trigger finger run counter to the feel reinforced by the PBS. does it make sense to have grips built up lower to make them more uniform width?

I have my bottom hand which is my right hand built up with 4 extra raps of tape.

Jeff, so of course I assume this is allowed in sanctioned play. Are there any restrictions on what you may add to the shaft. For example the 4 extra raps of tape, could you use as many as you want, or is there limit to how you can modify the club in this way or other ways.

This is really one of the best threads on the board, thanks for your all of your ideas.

it seems like modern grips where the thinnest point is the trigger finger run counter to the feel reinforced by the PBS. does it make sense to have grips built up lower to make them more uniform width?

I have my bottom hand which is my right hand built up with 4 extra raps of tape.

And is this the reason? To reduce the small muscles of the trigger finger and emphasize a pushing vs turning motion of the left index par?

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Titleist AVX

Interesting... I think I'm gonna try/go with wrapping up my trigger finger area with cloth/bandage wrap, see if it helps me improve with reinforcing of the area on the grip/hold...

I got the PBS today. Went out to practise with it but I was not getting it all. There were no instructions with it although it is pretty straight forward to work out. However, I have read that others did receive instructions so it would have been nice to get some. Not sure if this is going to be of any use to me. I hit a lot of my shots fat but have found that the Tour Striker training club is really helping. Maybe just stick with that.

I have had good results alternating between using the PBS and without but without it I do the drill where you take your thumb and forefinger completely off the shaft. Each time I really focus on pushing that pressure point to the ball.

I'm a terrible golfer but so far it's been awesome. I can successfully impersonate a decent golfer at the range now. :man_in_love:

I have had good results alternating between using the PBS and without but without it I do the drill where you take your thumb and forefinger completely off the shaft. Each time I really focus on pushing that pressure point to the ball.

I'm a terrible golfer but so far it's been awesome. I can successfully impersonate a decent golfer at the range now. :man_in_love:

filthee, Look at posts #978, #979 and #982 -in the previous page- for a variation of that drill . I am having tremendous results with the drill of separating the right forefinger tip from the shaft. I am feeling the lag pressure perfectly during all the downswing an my shots are more solid and penetrating than ever. Give it a try this weekend!

By the way, a great video about the four power accumulators: http://homepage.mac.com/brianmanzella/.Mov...zellashort7.mp4

I got the PBS today. Went out to practise with it but I was not getting it all. There were no instructions with it although it is pretty straight forward to work out. However, I have read that others did receive instructions so it would have been nice to get some. Not sure if this is going to be of any use to me. I hit a lot of my shots fat but have found that the Tour Striker training club is really helping. Maybe just stick with that.

Arny,

Once again the instructions where left off. The Tour Striker is a great training device and have had wonderful success with it as well!

Great to here that you are see some good results keep us posted.

would it be legal for play if someone had their grip made with a PBS-like bulge at that spot?

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Titleist AVX

would it be legal for play if someone had their grip made with a PBS-like bulge at that spot?

Don't know about legal :) but it would be against the rules of golf. Seriously you are only allowed to have a 1mm reminder rib under a grip, just go to the USGA website and look under the rules/equipment section for the exact rules.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Don't know about legal :) but it would be against the rules of golf. Seriously you are only allowed to have a 1mm reminder rib under a grip, just go to the USGA website and look under the rules/equipment section for the exact rules.

im not aware of any restrictions on tape wraps that make larger different sections of a grip.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Titleist AVX

Jeff, so of course I assume this is allowed in sanctioned play. Are there any restrictions on what you may add to the shaft. For example the 4 extra raps of tape, could you use as many as you want, or is there limit to how you can modify the club in this way or other ways.

This is really one of the best threads on the board, thanks for your all of your ideas.

Feel Golf makes grips that are thinner at the end and bulkier where it meets the shaft - upside down version of normal grips. Will these do instead?

Guys, I hate to start sounding like a shill, but I have no ties to Jeff, or his product, I bought it like everyone else...

I have been concientously using my PBS with noticable improvement on my long game all the way down to chips and pitches with wonderful results. Now I am finding that the positive "feel" of applied pressure in my right forefinger pad may allow me to return to using a standard length putter and get away from the long - anti yip broom stick. AMAZING!!!

Thanks again Jeff,

Kevin

Hey Kev,

I have been wondering about this : How does the PBS help with putting?

cheers

(ordered the pbs but its still in post)

Update on my progress, or lack of it!

I spent 2 hours today on the range and still can`t get it. I started off bad, what with the PBS falling off the grip, twisting on the grip etc.

I then turned it so it was more underneath the grip. This enabled me to get better results, but nothing spectacular. I could have hit the ball further without the PBS.

Has anyone else had this experience, when they seemed to be getting nowhere and, then, all of a sudden, you had a "AHA" moment.

Should I persevere with the PBS or forget about it. I just can`t seem to feel this lag thing. I was so hoping this would work for me after reading all the good reviews here.

Update on my progress, or lack of it!

I spent 2 hours today on the range and still can`t get it. I started off bad, what with the PBS falling off the grip, twisting on the grip etc.

I then turned it so it was more underneath the grip. This enabled me to get better results, but nothing spectacular. I could have hit the ball further without the PBS.

Has anyone else had this experience, when they seemed to be getting nowhere and, then, all of a sudden, you had a "AHA" moment.

Should I persevere with the PBS or forget about it. I just can`t seem to feel this lag thing. I was so hoping this would work for me after reading all the good reviews here.

There are two things that one must do for a good swing. Hit the ball with a flat left wrist and the clubhead lags the hands. The PBS accomplishes both of those.

I've got 2. I keep one in my bag for practice around the course and one for practice at home. I prollly need to get a few more.......just in casers.....

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

Went to the range with the PBS for the first time today. Hit 50 balls with 5, 7, 9 irons and pitching wedge off the mat. While I was clearing my gear after I finished, the man who was hitting balls behind me came over and asked me what forged blade irons I was using. I told him I was using my Ping G5 offset cast irons. He couldn't believe it! He told me my irons sounded so solid from where he was and he thought the compression was phenomenal and he never heard cast clubs make such pure sounds.

Well, it sounds like an informercial but I am an 18hcp duffer who hits it FAT all the time. So when someone behind me can actually hear the compression I am over the moon. Plenty chuffed eh. So all you FAT hitters - get one today.

Ok now that I got that out of the way, here's a report of my session. As I related above, the irons were SOLID!!!!! All I did was take practice swings concentrating on feeling the pressure on my forefinger and trying to imagine I am hitting with a giant feather (got that one out of a book). Couldn't really understand the instructions that came with the PBS but trawling this thread helped a great deal. I imagined I was hitting a spot about 4 inches in front of the ball and voila! Using the PBS was intuitive, I just hope this feeling lasts.

I was compressing them range balls and hitting them far. After I finished the irons had impact marks the size of a 20 cent coin on the sweet spot. The only problem is that most of the balls were about 10yards left of where I was aiming using the 7 and 5 irons (dead straight with the shorter ones). I am using offset clubs, is there a correlation to the left hits?

Also is there a difference in using the driver? Is the aiming point the same? How about the putter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Went out on the course today and took my PBS with me. I did notice that my pitch shots with my sand wedge had improved greatly when I had the PBS on it. Really good crisp contact. Still no improvement with the other clubs. Perhaps I am just being a little impatient. I will keep working with the sand wedge in the meantime.

Arny,

Stay patient I understand your need to improve. Build your motion with shorter strokes first Chipping and Pitching.

Keep us posted!

Hi Jeff

I had to fill you in on my latest news with the PBS.

Very funny story.

One of my students Lance has been working with the PBS with me for a few weeks now, he is a 15 handicapper.

Well the other week we noticed how much more compression he was getting and distance he picked up almost 2 clubs. Lance is in his early 60s and has really picked up his game.

He has been using senior Graphite shafts Pings and really started loading up those suckers LOL. These clubs where custom fitted for him about 2 years ago.

On Monday he had returned my PBS after stealing it for the week to really work hard at the range and also had some news. I think my shafts are to soft because I have broke Two of them after hitting at the range. I said if you hit off the mats that is what you get and he said no this is off the grass not mats.

We went and checked out his swing speed and he had gone from 68 mph average to 81 mph with a 5 iron.

He is now after trying a fitting club with Steel shaft and a stiffer flex he has completely had to update his set.

He wants to know if he can send you the bill Jeff LOL.

These big things that have changed in Lances game using the PBS,

1/ Shortened swing

2/ Nil collapse of wrist at top of backswing ( perfect wrist ****)

3/ LAG

4/ Massive compression difference ( Compression Plus)

5/ Much more fluent follow through to finish.

SO IF ANY OF THESE ARE A PROBLEM IN YOUR SWING DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GET A PBS.

Lance said he thought he would never be hitting Steel shafts.

Every Student has improved using the PBS and Good work on your little Orange Half Ball.

Also I am in no way affiliated with Jeff or his PBS but I have to give points where points are due so good on you mate.

Addam Smith

I've had a PBS for a while now and have been ambivalent towards its merits as I definitely haven't had an A-ha moment, however to add more context - I am a good player (7 hcp) with poor ingrained technique. I have a tendency to get the club inside too much and have to flip to rescue the shot - I've got really good at this hence the handicap but I know I'm losing stacks of stored power.

Anyway I'm trying to improve working with a coach who is trying to get me to use my body thru impact and to squat into the downswing instead of the usual popping forward of the hips and standing up through the impact zone which is very difficult for me to feel and more importantly commit to.

The reason for the post however is lately when using the PBS I have felt that my body pivot has improved slightly, the club is returning to the ball down the line as against deep from inside - is this something normal, i'd be interested to know whether improved body rotation would be a benefit of the PBS?

I'm really trying to get the squat and drive with rotation which is very difficult for a square on, standing up flipper but the problem did seem to be helped by putting on the PBS yesterday when practicing.

I'd love to hear some views but please please please don't use that golf machine lingo - the games is difficult enough without hearing about lines of compression, pressure points - forgive me but you might as well be talking mandarin.

Thanks & Regards

Paul

After trying out the PBS the biggest thing I noticed is it really puts your mind on your hands throughout the swing. I was much more conscious of the position of my hands at all points and especially in the backswing where the forces are lower so the clubhead feel is a little less. For something that at first glance you may think what could that do for me, I think it really has positive benefits. Very cool.

Hi - I got mine in the mail a couple of days ago - thanks for the very quick service Jeff. Haven't had a chance to hit balls with it yet, but I have had a few swings indoors with it on and have a couple of questions.

First of all, I can feel it at address and then not a great deal more on the way back. Then, at the point of transition, the pressure really increases on my finger. I think this is because at this point, the club is accelerating fairly quickly. The pressure then dissipates somewhat on the way down, I think because the rate of acceleration slows. There's still pressure there, it's just not as strong as it was at the transition. The only way that I can make the pressure feel more constant is to actively try to push the club back into my right hand with my left. So like, if you're standing at address, twisting your left hand clockwise and your right hand anticlockwise. That action increases significantly the amount of pressure that you feel, but I don't think that's the movement that is being targeted with the PBS. Rather more just the pressure that you feel from leaving the clubhead behind your hands.

Next, I presume that the intention is that you release at some point - I think this is where the aiming point comes in - so you release at the aiming point. Does the pressure fall away at the point that you release? Basically, I guess there are two ways that you can feel pressure at the finger. Number one is if the club is behind your hands and remaining there and number two is if you're accelerating the club forwards using your finger (ie either the club is applying force to your finger, or your finger is applying force to the club). One is active and the other passive, but it's difficult to distinguish the feeling. I think I'm going to buy the Impact Zone book, because it appears to help this become clearer. Problem I have is I have a big event coming up in four weeks time and I don't want to cloud my mind with a whole bunch of new technical stuff that I don't need right now.

Lastly, I didn't get any instructions, but have looked at what's on the pbs site and it says in one bit: "With extensor action through the trigger finger pressure stretch the club to the top of the motion."

This I don't understand. What's extensor action? I know what a trigger finger is and I assume top of the motion to mean top of the backswing. I think when I know what extensor action is the pressure bit might make sense too.

Thanks for your help.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant