Is my Nike SQ driver fake?

mkirt

Guys,

I am a fairly new golfer and need some expert help. I won a Nike Sasquatch driver

at our South Central Golf Expo on February 4th in Tulsa OK. I already have one I bought on my own in November (SQ Max, 10.5 deg regular stock shaft). The driver I won appears to be a fake, but it is the best fake I have ever seen. It is almost identical in every way (craftmanship, materials, etc). I am wondering if it could be a prototype that someone got ahold of.

1. It is a 9.5 degree head that looks identical to my retail bought new. The font and lettering are exact. The powerbow, SQ lettering, Nike swoosh, lines in the metal, colors, etc are all identical with the following exceptions. 1. It does not have a serial number on the hosel; 2. It does not have the S or R near the hosel on the head to show stiff or regular; 3. It doesn't have the alignment mark on the crown. 4. The score lines and word nexTI on the face are in white vs the black on my 10.5 degree. 5. The 9.5 has 6 large hash lines on either side of the face vs 8 on my 10.5 degree. 6. The circle on the face of the 9.5 is made up of 8 white dashes (-) per side vs the 8 white dots per side that make the circle on my 10.5 degree. 7. The hosel on the 9.5 degree only has one silver band in the middle vs the 10.5 which has a silver band in the middle and one at the end nearest the shaft.

The 9.5 degree I received came with an aldila vs proto 80-X shaft which from the pics on this board is the tour version not the retail (very simple clean lettering- I am 100% sure it is the tour version shown on this board). The grip is a Golf Pride Velvet Cord that has blue-green markings that match the VS shaft color well.

I took it to the course and hit it a couple of times. The 80-X shaft is way to stiff for my 95 mph ss. The head felt just like my 10.5 degree.

Any thoughts? I am in the medical device industry and I have seen a lot of copies/knockoffs. If this is a fake, it is the best copy I have ever seen. It is identical in every way other than what I pointed out. I would think it very expensive and difficult to make such a perfect copy.

I would post pics, but my camera is misplaced ( my 16 yr old daughter grrrrrr).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of hard to tell partner without a pic. Sorry. However, I have one too. It sounds like a fake to me or at best a prototype. Nike is very consistent with their stuff. Same paint, same lettering, etc. But without a pic, it would be hard to tell for sure.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Kind of hard to tell partner without a pic. Sorry. However, I have one too. It sounds like a fake to me or at best a prototype. Nike is very consistent with their stuff. Same paint, same lettering, etc. But without a pic, it would be hard to tell for sure.

I will try to get a pic of both drivers for comparison by the weekend. I am hoping it is a prototype and not a fake.

You sure it's not a tour?

It does not say tour on it. I am starting to think it may be a MAX tour prototype. I saw a foto on here that someone posted of Tiger with a 460 max head and mine looks just like that. Very similar to the Retail Max with the differences I pointed out.

After looking at both again, there is no way it was not made by Nike. I don;t think anyone could have made a copy like this.

Hopefully the pics will make sense. I will get some posted this weekend when I return from business trip.

Awesome! Actually, I'd like to see it regardless!

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

at first glance it sounds like a fake but then when you say its got a vs proto shaft in it you have to think tour/proto. i doubt anyone would make a cheap knock off of a club and then stick an uber expernsive shaft in it. me thinks you might have stumbled upon a very nice deal.

put some pics up and if it is tour/proto i know their are tons of people on this board more than willing to take it off your hands.

i think you have a fake, so how bout you just sell it to me so you don't have to deal with it anymore :D

in all seriousness i think you've got a real sq, and something that isn't retail. can't say if its an early release, or the tour model (not the sq tour, but the tour version of the sq max), or possible a demo model. tour and prototype drivers typically don't have alignment markers. nike sometimes doesn't put serial numbers on clubs (i have a forged ti 350cc driver without one). i asked nike about this and they said there are three types of clubs that don't have serial numbers; demo, tour, and proto. i've checked the usga website and unfortunately they don't have face pictures of the drivers to compare.

as for the r or s not on the head, that is just a sticker and comes off very easily. the silver band towards the shaft missing is just because its a different ferule, probably due to the reshaft for the proto shaft.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Looks like you have a SQ Max driver that was probably released to the Tour... Looks outstanding!

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

fake or no fake...........if it works out for you and you don't mind using a fake to lower your hndcp........use it........

although i'm oppose to using a fake and i cna't justify myself in using one but other people dont have a problem doing so.............i'm not saying that to offend anyone who is using a fake/clone/knock-off..........

sorry if i did....

holla!

Thanks for the replies,

Now I would appreciate some advice other than " give it to me :D I can't hit this shaft as it is way too much for me (ss 95, quick tempo, more hitter than swinger, built like a barrel lol (5'7" 210). The 9.5 degree head is ok (I have 10.5), but appears to be slightly open vs my 10.5 which is square. I believe the 10.5 is much better suited to me (been golfing for 8 months, average 95).

Should I sell the entire club as is? What would it be worth? I know the shaft is in pretty high demand and worth a decent amount. What about the head if it is a Max Tour or a prototype?

Or should I have the shaft pulled and sell it separately? I could keep the head and reshaft with something more appropriate for me (Aldila NV75R, UST V2, etc).

I am not looking to make a killing, as I won this. I am open to suggestions.

fake or no fake...........if it works out for you and you don't mind using a fake to lower your hndcp........use it........

although i'm oppose to using a fake and i cna't justify myself in using one but other people dont have a problem doing so.............i'm not saying that to offend anyone who is using a fake/clone/knock-off..........

sorry if i did....

holla!

Hermes,

I am pretty sure it is not a fake. Who would put such a high end shaft in a fake?- and the construction is just too good and exactly like my retail version.

I agree on using a fake. That's why I bought the retail SQ :D

I Think It's Tour And I'd Say There Are A Few Reasons To This:

1) Tour Players Have The Skill To Line Up Properly, They Don't Need An Alignment Aid!

2) Also Tour Players Wouldn't Like The Ugly Alignment Aid As The Average Golfer Wouldn't.

3) Tour Players Wouldn't Need A Serial Number To Prove Their Club Is Real. I Mean Tiger Is Hardly Going To Buy A Cheap Knockoff.

4) The Different Colours, Grooves On The Face Are Probably Just Custom Made. A Pro Would Have His Driver Customised Wouldn't He/She?

5) The Different Shaft Is Probably Just For Different Ball Flight Etc. After All Tour Pros Need To Get The Max Out Of A Driver.

ALSO THAT DRIVER LOOKS KICKASS COOL! :D

Partner, I think you've got a real driver there. Looks like a tour prototype. I would reshaft it and sell the pullout. My opinion, but I would try it out with another shaft with a higher kickpoint. If you still can't hit it, sell it.

As for the club, I know quite a bit but I'm more of a fitter/salesman. Based on the info, I'm going to say there is no sticker probably because it never had one. When they are taken off on Nikes, they tend to leave some sort of residue, so either there never was one or it was very well cleaned. I'm still struggling to get every bit of it off of my Ignite. The difference in the hosel is just a different ferrule from the reshaft (as previously stated). The fact that there's different fill paint and no sightline leads as well as the shaft leads me to believe it's a tour release. If it were an early release or demo I'd think it would have a sight aid of some sort. That's not definitely correct, JMO.

As for what to do with it, I can't recommend that you keep it. Tour drivers are often built for a high swing speed. Based on the specs of our current driver, you're a very low SS. I don't think you'll be able launch this nearly high enough. The only reason you'd be keeping it would be prestige (which is plenty for some people). I shouldn't talk with my $400 putter buuuuut yeeeeeeah anyway...

As for it being rare so you should hold onto it, I disagree. Golf equipment is always changing. Clubs lose value over time and rarely gain it. An R510TP Tour issue is worth a lot less now than it was when the TP craze first started.

In my opinion, you should list it at a high end tour equipment place like here or go for ebay. As for price...uhhhhhhh no idea to be honest. Depends on what it is. If you can find good evidence that it's tour...you're looking around $700 or so I would think maybe based on the shaft?? I really don't know as there are very few SQ Tour Release sales to base it on. If you can't, I would think that you could still fetch a nice $400 based on the shaft alone. Again, this is virgin territory so these are just guesses to be honest.

Hope I could be of help. If you do decide to sell either has a head only or whole club, I would possibly be interested. Drop me a PM or e-mail at [email protected]. I'm in the market for a driver that's a little different. This would qualify! E-bay is probably your best bet, though, especially since there's no way to figure out how much this is actually worth. The open market is always the best way to find out!

Oops,

sorry for the pic without a post.

Guys,

Here's an update- I am excited :)

First off, I appreciate all the comments from everyone. I have learned alot from you all since I started golfing 8 months ago.

I am definitely going to sell this driver as is. It is too much for me and I do not think I will ever grow into it based on my last outing :D Hopefully it will be the perfect driver for someone who wants an SQ Max Tour.

I am convinced it is an SQ Max Tour based on pics that were taken on Golfwrx by the member from the Nissan Open. He has a great pic of a bag of SQ Max Tours and mine looks exactly the same

Here are the pics:

I need to figure out how to list on ebay this weekend. So if interested, look for it.

I need to figure out how to list on ebay this weekend. So if interested, look for it.

You might want to post it on here since I'm sure there is a club ho out there drooling to get their hands on your toy...

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418