2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Laser or GPS?

What is the better range finder
Sorry if this has been done before but....

Between the laser range finders and the GPS units available now, what would you choose for a range finder and why? For purposes of this discussion, lets assume you are a regular recreational golfer that might play in a couple of local tournaments governed by USGA rules. (i.e., not a hack, but not a pro).

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between the laser range finders and the GPS units available now, what would you choose for a range finder and why? For purposes of this discussion, lets assume you are a regular recreational golfer that might play in a couple of local tournaments governed by USGA rules. (i.e., not a hack, but not a pro).

When I worked in a shop, I always said that if you travel and play a lot of different courses that a GPS will be better since you rarely get to see the golf course before playing it. If you play the same courses often and play in tournaments (where a practice round is generally taken advantage of) go with the laser... Lasers are more accurate as well... +- 1 yard vs. as much as 5 yards w/ a GPS unit...

Titleist TSi3 - 10 Degree - C1 - T1 - XC-6 S 44.75"

Titleist TSR3 - 15 Degree - C1 - T1 - Tensei 1K Black 75S 

Titleist TSR3 - 18 Degree - C1 - T1 - Tensei 1K Black 85S 

FliHi Pro 3 - 20 Degrees - ProjectXU 6.0

MP-18 - 4, 5 MMC FliHi, 6 SC, 7, 8, 9 Blade - Oban CT-125 S

Mack Daddy Forged 50, 54 @ 55 and 60 DG S200's

All Irons and Wedges 4 Degrees Flat

Golf Pride Victory Cords on all the above - IYKYK!!!

Ping Cadence Ketsch - 34" w/ SuperStroke Wrist Lock

There are a lot of things that you can't laser or are difficult to laser that a sky caddie will give you such as forced carries or blind approaches/t-shots, or the end of a fairway. However, there are times when a laser would be more handy. For example a sky caddie won't give you alternate greens at (any?) courses. You're pretty much back to guessing or pacing it off if there is anything marked for the alt green. A laser solves that problem. It's also nice to know exactly how far the range flags are from where you are hitting.

I have the sky caddie 2.5 and I love it, but there are times I wish I had a laser too.

Both would be great but I'm not made of money.

GPS: Decent with getting numbers to anything and everything out on the course. Not very big so they're not burdensome, and the front, middle, and back numbers are great for choosing what club to hit. Doesn't give you yardage to the flagstick so you kindof have to guesstimate where the stick is on the green and move the cursor accordingly. If you've never played a course before and you've got some shots where you can see the top of the flag but not the green you're not going to get the flagstick distance exactly right.

Laser: Plug and play, throw the battery in and you're good for many rounds on many different courses without having to pay subscription fees. Gives you an accurate reading to the flag and any other objects in your line of sight: bunkers, trees, water, etc. If you can see the entire green you can get a good reading on how far it is to the front and back parts of the green. I've haven't played many holes where I could not see the flagstick on my approach so that situation is rare

In the end, I bought a laser myself. On approach shots I want to know what distance I have to the stick so I can either go at it with the right club or choose the right club to be pin-high and give myself good opportunities at birdies. I also use it on dogleg holes to see how much room I have to work with if I make a bad swing and push or pull my shot in the opposite direction of the dogleg. Works great for getting distances to bunkers, as most bunkers on courses have lips around the green that will give you a minimum yardage that is required to carry it. However I won't be able to get the maximum distance I can go before I hit the bunker which I would only run into trouble with on par 5 layup shots.

One thing I have noticed in my years working and playing is that casual golfers seem more attracted to the GPS while more serious golfers have lasers. Not saying this is fact for everyone, but just a general trend.

[sign here]

i have and use both. i use the gps more often. when i use the laser it is mainly from yardages of 150 and in.

the reason i bought the gps and decided to use both was i played a course that did not have yardage sheets. there were a handfull of holes that i was playing blind. one hole in particular had a drainage channel about 90 yards from the green that was not visible from where i was because of a ridge. i could not see the flag so i paced off my yardage from a sprinkler. i was about 210 yards from the center of the green. i wanted to layup to 90-100 yards and went into the channel.

long story short, if i could only have one, it would be the laser as the above mentioned situation does not happen often.

Had them both, and I must say that it is the laser. More accurate, quick, better for practice, do I need to keep going? My GPS was off on one course and I dunked a perfectly struck shot in the water because of it. Sold it right after that round of golf and bought a laser range finder.

Yep I've had that exact same experience. On a hole that curved around a lake the GPS told me 160 to carry the water, 180 to the middle of the green. Hit a perfectly struck 6 iron knowing it was enough club, did a club twirl and everything because it was right on line and then *SPLASH* went the ball with about a yard to go. My heart and any possibility of me buying a GPS sunk right with it.

But again, I don't think its a bad idea to own both, kindof like golf's system of checks and balances (provided you don't slow up play fumbling with all the information you're getting for each shot)

[sign here]

I started with GPS, now I use the laser rangefinder. It's nice to just point and shoot at pretty much any target and get the exact distance. GPS was ok too, but on certain days I couldn't pick up enough satellites and the readings were off by 10+ yards. I only use it now when I want to measure my drives from the tee box.

i have and use both. i use the gps more often. when i use the laser it is mainly from yardages of 150 and in.

the reason i bought the gps and decided to use both was i played a course that did not have yardage sheets. there were a handfull of holes that i was playing blind. one hole in particular had a drainage channel about 90 yards from the green that was not visible from where i was because of a ridge. i could not see the flag so i paced off my yardage from a sprinkler. i was about 210 yards from the center of the green. i wanted to layup to 90-100 yards and went into the channel.

long story short, if i could only have one, it would be the laser as the above mentioned situation does not happen often.

DITTO :ok:

I also own and use both :)

GPS for my electronic scorecard, from the tee box - especially useful on dogleg holes, where a laser range finder is useless and also when I want to measure my driver tee shot and when on the fairway for shots longer than 150 yards to the green

Laser for everything within 150 yards distance to the flag

This gives me the best of both worlds, and I wouldn't want to miss the positive features of both devices.

They are both good. Depends on what you are looking for and the type of player you are. A laser is good for those who focus pretty much strictly on the pin, "pin hunters". Using a laser to obtain multiple distances can also slow the game down. In a tournament situation that is usually not a concern. If you are more into course management, I think a GPS is better as well as quicker to use. You can get multiple distances at a glance and since "exact" is not a priority, you can get a good feel for the distances as you approach the ball.

I've been using laser for years and have been trying various gps' for the last year , anything I can get my hands on for a weekend.

I'll never give up the laser but the GPS has it's place on a couple of holes here and there.

Even tho I can shoot the corners on a blind shot or dogleg it's nice to see the whole hole from the tee like I said , on a couple holes here and there.

However I have for more confidence on the laser numbers , it's dead nuts always where the GPS varies an unknown amount from time to time.

Idealy , both is the perfect set up but since scoring happens from inside 200 , and numbers to the actual pins are the most important to me then if given only one choice , I'll take my laser without question everytime.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

I have both. My mistake was not spending enough money on the laser. A laser without anti-shake or "Pinseeker/Bullseye" type technology is difficult to target for me. GPS is faster for me than the laser for general center/front/back information, but I usually use the laser to measure distance to the back lip of the bunker from 150 yards in, and the pin when I can acquire it.

If I were buying my first laser right now, it would be a Bushnell 1500TE. It was a mistake to cheap out on that purchase. My iGolf Neo GPS is adequate for my needs, and small enough to carry in my pocket.

Idealy , both is the perfect set up but since scoring happens from inside 200 , and numbers to the actual pins are the most important to me then if given only one choice , I'll take my laser without question everytime.

I play a different game. When there is trouble in front, and on most holes that is where it is, I want to know what my minimum carry is and how much room I have beyond that to pick the most appropriate club that will comfortable carry the trouble (especially since I am such a poor bunker player - LOL). Rarely is there trouble long, but when there is, I use that process in reverse, what is the longest I would want to hit the ball and what club will keep me short of that. On occasions where there is a green light for flag hunting the Intelligreen feature of the SkyCaddie or the Smart Green feature of the Golf Guru allow me to estimate the pin position within a very acceptable margin.

I also believe that if the average golfer concentrated more on hitting the ball to the center of the green instead of being so focused on the flag then scores would improve as, one, there is margin for error in all directions, and, two, on only the largest of greens with tucked pins can you be very far from the pin if you are in the center of the green.

I have both, the Skycaddie SG5 is far more valueable than a laser.

Laser is a pain to use, take it out, point shoot, hope can hit the flag (harder farther away you are)

GPOS tells me at a GLANCE how far to several targets, shape of green, how far to front middle, back, how far to carry a tier, etc.

I bought laser, don't even bring it most time anymore...btw, I've tested accuracy, SG5 is within a yard of laser if not same, so ...that's my take on the whole thing.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Laser... You can get all the distances you need using a laser, and most tournaments, even a lot of NCAA allow laser...

If one DME such as a laser is allowed, so are GPS devices.

GPS and Laser are allowed for tourney, jsut no slope compensating lasers...

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I use a laser because accurate measurements TO THE TARGET from inside 100 yards are crucial to me and you just can't get that with a GPS device. This is both a on the course and practice requirement (when on the range I want to know how far it is to "the brown place over there").

From more than 150 yards I would rather know the distance to the front, middle, and back vs. pin (in most cases). But those measurements inside 100 yards are what really matter to me so I am a laser guy.

dave

I play a different game. When there is trouble in front, and on most holes that is where it is, I want to know what my minimum carry is and how much room I have beyond that to pick the most appropriate club that will comfortable carry the trouble (especially since I am such a poor bunker player - LOL). Rarely is there trouble long, but when there is, I use that process in reverse, what is the longest I would want to hit the ball and what club will keep me short of that. On occasions where there is a green light for flag hunting the Intelligreen feature of the SkyCaddie or the Smart Green feature of the Golf Guru allow me to estimate the pin position within a very acceptable margin.

I also believe that if the average golfer concentrated more on hitting the ball to the center of the green instead of being so focused on the flag then scores would improve as, one, there is margin for error in all directions, and, two, on only the largest of greens with tucked pins can you be very far from the pin if you are in the center of the green.

It all comes down to your abilty and how you like to play the game.

I've never been a 'safe' player , I play the game for fun and it's more fun to me to play aggressive. I play shots that are the most fun and often challenging to play and I let my score take care of it self. :) That's the only way I see to get stronger.

If I was making a living at it then maybe it would be different . . . or maybe not.

To each his own.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

Center of the green is fine, but if we're shooting for a general area on the green I'd much rather be shooting for pin high than for the center of the green. Depends on the course though. If you're playing courses where you won't get penalized for being in the center of the green putting down to a front pin location thats all good and well. But on the majority of courses I play, especially in tournaments, you will be in trouble for being above the hole like that. I won't even get into multi-tiered greens in relation to the center of the green...

[sign here]