2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Adams Tech a4 9015d driver....uhhh, ballspeed!!!!

dlefty

Also the shaft is 45.5", what happens too me with longer clubs is I get them sucked inside more and end up coming over the top, ball goes left. So I need to play drivers 45" max, normally 44.5". I also think the stock matix is a bit soft, what you could do is have it pulled and tipped 1/2" and kill two birds at once.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's definitely in the not too distant future. The club doesn't feel like it's long though. My buddy has a Burner and when I put his club down I can definitely tell that it's longer than standard. We'll see.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Remember this is a driver for the better golfer. It is not super forgiving.

It is the best on the market right now I feel though.

Do you think this thread will surpass the Cobra LV4 thread with hundereds of hits?

It should as this Adams 9015 Prototype is such a better driver. Just the sound alone would make me switch.

This is very similar to the L4V thread and hype. I think the A4 is a great looking driver, but I have the same problem that I had with the L4V. The stock shafts are not a good fit for me and I am left-handed, so I have no options of hitting the A4.

I am trying to avaoid dumping a bunch of money by shaft testing. Hopefully, I will get lucky on the BST or Ebay.

I think you guys are just being dumb about this. The stock shaft is an amazing one, that many tour pros use. I've seen adam scott use stock v2s before, as do a ton of people. Your just being picky, it's the indian not the arrow, fix your swing, its you, not the shaft.

Funny thing is I bought the 9015 after an indoor L/M fitting at a big retailer and got great numbers (near 1.5 smash) out of the 9.5* with stock shaft. The problem was when I took it to the course my dispersion was terrible. I was missing it left and right and the flex and balance of the shaft did not feel right. I lost all confidence with it. I was going to just get rid of the club but some here suggested trying a different shaft.

I went to a club fitter and ended up with a Whiteboard 73 stiff tipped a little. It is like night and day the way this changed the performance for me. Incidentally, the stock Matrix shaft CPMd out to be in the mid-regular flex range. I had played a 757 tour stiff in my previous driver so it is no wonder the Matrix did not work. Now my A4 feels great and performs beautifully.

BOTTOM LINE: Don't under estimate the importance of a properly fitted shaft. It is critically important (especially with the driver) to find a shaft with design and performance characteristics that match up with YOUR swing if you want to optimize your drives.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Do you think this thread will surpass the Cobra LV4 thread with hundereds of hits?

It should as this Adams 9015 Prototype is such a better driver. Just the sound alone would make me switch.

This is very similar to the L4V thread and hype. I think the A4 is a great looking driver, but I have the same problem that I had with the L4V. The stock shafts are not a good fit for me and I am left-handed, so I have no options of hitting the A4.

I am trying to avaoid dumping a bunch of money by shaft testing. Hopefully, I will get lucky on the BST or Ebay.

I think you guys are just being dumb about this. The stock shaft is an amazing one, that many tour pros use. I've seen adam scott use stock v2s before, as do a ton of people. Your just being picky, it's the indian not the arrow, fix your swing, its you, not the shaft.

Funny thing is I bought the 9015 after an indoor L/M fitting at a big retailer and got great numbers (near 1.5 smash) out of the 9.5* with stock shaft. The problem was when I took it to the course my dispersion was terrible. I was missing it left and right and the flex and balance of the shaft did not feel right. I lost all confidence with it. I was going to just get rid of the club but some here suggested trying a different shaft.

I went to a club fitter and ended up with a Whiteboard 73 stiff tipped a little. It is like night and day the way this changed the performance for me. Incidentally, the stock Matrix shaft CPMd out to be in the mid-regular flex range. I had played a 757 tour stiff in my previous driver so it is no wonder the Matrix did not work. Now my A4 feels great and performs beautifully.

BOTTOM LINE: Don't under estimate the importance of a properly fitted shaft. It is critically important (especially with the driver) to find a shaft with design and performance characteristics that match up with YOUR swing if you want to optimize your drives.

Amen brother. I have resisted purchasing this driver so many times. I have a date, in March, to get fitted for this driver and the Speedline. It's so hard, but thankfully the weather is making it somewhat easy on me.

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

Amen brother. I have resisted purchasing this driver so many times. I have a date, in March, to get fitted for this driver and the Speedline. It's so hard, but thankfully the weather is making it somewhat easy on me.

Make sure you get the chance to see the ball flight outdoors. Launch monitor data is great for ball speed and spin, but nothing beats your own eyes when it comes to trajectory and shot shape.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Played with mine for the first time this weekend. 10.5* Stiff stock Ozik. The shaft does feel a touch weaker than the Whiteboard I was using. Ball flight is great. Launch is higher than my G10/WB combo but still retains the same flat trajectory. The immediate thing I noticed was the driver was straighter for me. This is saying alot over the G10. I was more confident and hit it on holes I would normally not. I hit some bombs as well. The higher ball flight gives me a good bit more distance than the Ping when I really catch it. Mishits and average swings are about the same with both.

Played my first round with the Fuji Rombax 8Z08 in the 9015 today. My shaft search is officially over...I've got two more shafts coming in but I'm not even going to give them a go. This combo is RIDICULOUS.

Ive heard the 8Z08 is a beast, you must be bringing the heat. I played a 7Z08 and maybe it was tipped a bunch, IDK I bought it as a pull but that thing kept my ball down more than any other shaft including Pypes, etc.

So the X7A3 is history?

Played my first round with the Fuji Rombax 8Z08 in the 9015 today. My shaft search is officially over...I've got two more shafts coming in but I'm not even going to give them a go. This combo is RIDICULOUS.

Ive heard the 8Z08 is a beast, you must be bringing the heat. I played a 7Z08 and maybe it was tipped a bunch, IDK I bought it as a pull but that thing kept my ball down more than any other shaft including Pypes, etc.

So the X7A3 is history?

I'm about 122 with the driver...yes, the 8Z08 is a beast (my buddy hit it and kept calling it my new 2 X 4 :cheesy: ). But damn it bombs the ball.

Yes, the X7A3 is officially out....it was a good run though. I'll pass it along for a good price if anyone wants to give it a go.

Got my driver in this past week. Took it to the range today. It was raining pretty hard, so I couldn't see the balls land, but ballflight seemed to be pretty good. I found the stock shaft to be a little on the soft side like others have said, but it didn't feel all that bad. I have to say though, based on feel and sound alone, this driver is miles better than the 909D2 and L5V I had earlier. I'll be playing on Tuesday, weather permitting, and I'm feeling optimistic about this driver. It's going to be hard to kick my FT-3 out of the bag, but this might be the one.

Well it poured today, but I did get a chance to take my gamer and the Adams to a launch monitor. Results were pretty similar.

Averages:

FT-3 Tour 9.5º Diamana Blueboard 63s 44.75"

Club speed: 100mph

Ball speed: 146mph

Launch: 13º-14º

Backspin: 3200-3400rpm

a4 9015d 9.5º stock Matrix stiff 45.5"

Club speed: 102mph

Ball speed: 149mph

Launch: 14º-15º

Backspin: 3000-3200rpm

So the Adams averaged slightly longer, but my longest drive came with my FT-3. It's going to be a hard decision to make. I still need to take the Adams out to the course to test it in playing conditions, but I remain optimistic.

I currently am using the Titleist 905r, 9.5deg, nv-65-R, 44.5" with a low to mid ball flight with good distance for my 95-98mph ss. Anything weaker than this and the ball tends to balloon. But I like this driver. All of the comments regarding the INSIGHT TECH a4 has me curious. lol

For those of you who have tried the INSIGHT TECH a4, which shaft would work for me with the 9.5deg. head.

Best guess

tia

I currently am using the Titleist 905r, 9.5deg, nv-65-R, 44.5" with a low to mid ball flight with good distance for my 95-98mph ss. Anything weaker than this and the ball tends to balloon. But I like this driver. All of the comments regarding the INSIGHT TECH a4 has me curious. lol

For those of you who have tried the INSIGHT TECH a4, which shaft would work for me with the 9.5deg. head.

Best guess

tia

I'm thinking the stock Ozik in regular (maybe even stiff) would do the trick.

Best guess

tia

I swing at 96mph and have no issue with the stock stiff shaft. I have a mid ball flight with some really nice roll out.

I recently got a 8.5 A4 Tech/Matrix 60stiff combo built at 45" with D3sw. I like the feel, low spin, flight, and distance. I am very impressed with this driver and it deserves the hype. However, I am learning that having the proper shaft set up is vital. I like the low spin of the stock Matrix 60 but I am having some other bothersome issues with this shaft.

My ss is between 96-102 with high launch/high spin/quick transition. The matrix 60stiff feels very loose. I have been getting some big hooks and overall dispersion hasn't been what I expected. I had the shaft cpm measured and it came out at 246-247 range. According to Matrix cpm chart this is a soft firm (245-249) instead of a true stiff (250-255cpm).

I am sending the driver back to Adams to have them reshaft and tip trim. There custom service department/custom department were very helpful and conveyed that they want my driver set up to be right. They stated that they would do their own frequency testing and if the shaft is indeed is soft to flex they would reshaft and tip trim as needed. They were a very professional/helpful group and I am confident that they will help me out.

My question is should I have Adams tip trim an extra 1/2" or 3/4" to play to a true stiff flex (250-255cpm)? Please let me know your thoughts.

I believe once the shaft is tipped properly it will be in my bag for a very long time :clapping:

My question is should I have Adams tip trim an extra 1/2" or 3/4" to play to a true stiff flex (250-255cpm)? Please let me know your thoughts.

I believe once the shaft is tipped properly it will be in my bag for a very long time :clapping:

1163:

I have been going back and forth on the same idea of trimming the tip 1/2 inch on the stiff flex to get it to play a bit firmer. My SS is right in the 101-103 mph range. I hit the X-flex at stock length at a demo day last sunday and felt it was darn close to perfect for me, just smoking it without fear of going left.

I see no problems in you tipping it 1/2 inch to firm it up a bit and like you said you should have a driver that will be in the bag for a while (3-6months in golfwrx time :D )

Also glad to hear that Adams seemed eager to work with you to get the right setup.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

1163:

I have been going back and forth on the same idea of trimming the tip 1/2 inch on the stiff flex to get it to play a bit firmer. My SS is right in the 101-103 mph range. I hit the X-flex at stock length at a demo day last sunday and felt it was darn close to perfect for me, just smoking it without fear of going left.

I see no problems in you tipping it 1/2 inch to firm it up a bit and like you said you should have a driver that will be in the bag for a while (3-6months in golfwrx time :D )

Also glad to hear that Adams seemed eager to work with you to get the right setup.

Thank you very much for the insight/suggestions!

I recently got a 8.5 A4 Tech/Matrix 60stiff combo built at 45" with D3sw. I like the feel, low spin, flight, and distance. I am very impressed with this driver and it deserves the hype. However, I am learning that having the proper shaft set up is vital. I like the low spin of the stock Matrix 60 but I am having some other bothersome issues with this shaft.

My ss is between 96-102 with high launch/high spin/quick transition. The matrix 60stiff feels very loose. I have been getting some big hooks and overall dispersion hasn't been what I expected. I had the shaft cpm measured and it came out at 246-247 range. According to Matrix cpm chart this is a soft firm (245-249) instead of a true stiff (250-255cpm).

I am sending the driver back to Adams to have them reshaft and tip trim. There custom service department/custom department were very helpful and conveyed that they want my driver set up to be right. They stated that they would do their own frequency testing and if the shaft is indeed is soft to flex they would reshaft and tip trim as needed. They were a very professional/helpful group and I am confident that they will help me out.

I had the same issue with the stock shaft in mine. I was losing the ball in both directions. CPM test for mine proved that the stock Matrix was in the regular flex range (low 240s). I re-shafted with a Whiteboard tipped to be 262 CPMS at 45". The performance difference has been incredible.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Ive been playing the Callaway FT-5 for over a year now and the first few balls I hit on the range with the 8.5 A4 shafted with a Aldila "Wasabi" (prototype shaft) sold it for me. I stuck it in the bag for the 18 holes that day and its NEVER came out yet. The A4 is eaier to control and the distance isnt even close!!

What is an Aldila Wasabi? Price point, characteristics?

Thanks

For me, the Adams 9016d XTD Insight LDA Proto is the best driver head I have touched to this date.

Adams New Speedline won't come close until they drop the loft and offer something in a 6.5* or 7.5*.

This is not your average head for the average player. Requires High club head speed to work properly.

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

For me, the Adams 9016d XTD Insight LDA Proto is the best driver head I have touched to this date.

Adams New Speedline won't come close until they drop the loft and offer something in a 6.5* or 7.5*.

This is not your average head for the average player. Requires High club head speed to work properly.

How high should your Clubhead speed be to be able to make this driver work?

I talked to someone and his Club head speed is just a little over 100mph and he says he could hit this driver fine...longest driver he ever hit.

I'm about the 100mph mark sometimes slower, I have an 8.5* handpicked to 9*, I still have to put a shaft in it but I really hope that this driver will work for me....

I hit the 9015D and I was a bit disappointed (maybe its the shaft?) for me it was "not as advertised". My current driver is still longer and the Rapture V2 was even longer, even longer than my gamer.

I'm hoping that the 9016D will be as long as the Rapture V2, if not longer.