Tax returns 2009

stocki11

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously how do you guys get returns? I am not rich, I live paycheck to paycheck, and I have to pay every year. over the last ten years I have tried 3 accountants, and I always pay. I have to pay every month, and at the end of the year. I own a very small business with no employees, and I just don't get it. I am sure I will owe about $4,000 again at the end of this year.

Β 

I can't afford a new car, and my house is only 1500 square ft.

Β 

Seriously how do I get past this?

Β 

Scott

Seriously how do you guys get returns? I am not rich, I live paycheck to paycheck, and I have to pay every year. over the last ten years I have tried 3 accountants, and I always pay. I have to pay every month, and at the end of the year. I own a very small business with no employees, and I just don't get it. I am sure I will owe about $4,000 again at the end of this year.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Scott

Β 

Try cheating on your taxes - $128,000 worth, like Senator Tom Daschle (in the paper today). Oops, he really didn't cheat, just didn't understand the law. But he's now fully paid up with amended returns and ready to accept his cabinet nomination........ :clapping: Sorry for the political post, the timing was just too good on this one.

Try cheating on your taxes - $128,000 worth, like Senator Tom Daschle (in the paper today). Oops, he really didn't cheat, just didn't understand the law. But he's now fully paid up with amended returns and ready to accept his cabinet nomination........ :clapping: Sorry for the political post, the timing was just too good on this one.

Β 

To put this in context, that was on income of over $3,250,000 over 3 years.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Scott

Β 

Owning your own business is a whole different ball of wax...but it seems like your accountant could estimate your quarterly taxes to a point where you wouldn't get hit with a big bill every year.

Β 

As regular employees, we just over withhold on our W4. We used to go with the conventional wisdom of trying to break even so we weren't giving a 'free loan' to the government. But we had a few some expected income years and got hit with fat tax bills. There is no check more discouraging to write than to the IRS. Now we just overwithhold and use the money on a house project. I know we are technically losing the interest on it, but I can live with that.

PING G430 Max 10.5Β 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
ClevelandΒ CBX4 ZipcoreΒ 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack'Β 

Β 

"To put this in context, that was on income of over $3,250,000 over 3 years"

Β 

I guess I don't understand your context? Is it OK to to cheat $128k worth if you make $3.2 mil? If that's the case I've been overpaying too (just not at the same level)! In my idealistic little world cheating is cheating. But apparantly I'm in the minority again.

Β 

And for all of you folks getting returns that's great for you. But I don't think the future years will be as kind to many of us come April 15th. Taxes will only go up. Our gov't has mismanaged our tax money for too long and now they need some more.

Β 

Our current tax codes aren't exactly small business friendly, right Scotte? I just sold my small business the end of last year and so far I have no regrets (Although 2 good paying jobs were cut by the new owner). It was easy I was offered a job that pays roughly the same, I pay less taxes and have a far smaller amount of liability. It's the new American dream! :russian_roulette: But I guess since I pay less taxes I'm now less patriotic! :rolleyes:

As regular employees, we just over withhold on our W4. We used to go with the conventional wisdom of trying to break even so we weren't giving a 'free loan' to the government. But we had a few some expected income years and got hit with fat tax bills. There is no check more discouraging to write than to the IRS. Now we just overwithhold and use the money on a house project. I know we are technically losing the interest on it, but I can live with that.

Β 

Β 

Ditto. I paid taxes at the end of the year one time in my life. I'll never forget it. I was 19. I thought I had it made, then I filed and they said "you owe __ (it was a few hundred)". Never ever again.

Β 

We'll probably get ~$10k back this year with all of my travel and business expenses, plus the interest on the mortgage and a few other deductions we're going to have, so it'll be a good year.

Β 

I predict she who must be obeyed will put the money into our savings account and I may see it again when I'm 60. I'd like to see at least some of it go into our IRAs.

Β 

-mini

Β 

I guess I don't understand your context? Is it OK to to cheat $128k worth if you make $3.2 mil? If that's the case I've been overpaying too (just not at the same level)! In my idealistic little world cheating is cheating. But apparantly I'm in the minority again.

Β 

You're making the assumption that he was cheating.

Β 

I've also ran my own business before and had to end up writing the IRS a check for a substantial amount of money so I can relate. The tax code is so convoluted that it's easy for even tax professionals to make mistakes. We all know people who have gotten bad information from their tax consultants.

Β 

Β 

Β 

I've also ran my own business before and had to end up writing the IRS a check for a substantial amount of money so I can relate. The tax code is so convoluted that it's easy for even tax professionals to make mistakes. We all know people who have gotten bad information from their tax consultants.

Β 

Would you expect a Supreme Court justice to know criminal laws? So why would you not expect the new treasury secretary to know the tax laws and be honest and truthful when paying his taxes?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I know we're supposed to stick to golf on this forum but I can't help it. Here is the deal with the Senator - he did part time consulting work for a company and they gave him full time use of a car and driver. For free. For three years. For personal use. That is pure income. I'm just a middle manager and I get a modest monthly car allowence. I have to document all business miles, and then pay taxes on any part of the allowence not used for business miles. So I'm paying my taxes every year, on personal use of a car, and this guy who is a US Senator thinks he can get away with it, or is so naive he doesn't know? Can I sell you a bridge in Brooklyn, please? The paper said "something made him think in June that for the past three years he should have been paying this tax". I would bet that what made him think this was when Obama called him to talk about a possible future cabinet job and he realized that a big background check would be needed on him. Hey, I love Obama, think he is doing a great job, but as for the Senator, I know a slippery guy when I see one.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Would you expect a Supreme Court justice to know criminal laws? So why would you not expect the new treasury secretary to know the tax laws and be honest and truthful when paying his taxes?

Β 

Daschle is not the new treasury secretary. He's the Secretary of Health and Human services. How can you convict the guy when you have no background on the matter? That's all that I'm saying.

Β 

Assume = make an a** out of you and me.

I will be using my tax return to buy my way out of debt and adding to my kids 529 College Savings Plan!!!

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Daschle is not the new treasury secretary. He's the Secretary of Health and Human services. How can you convict the guy when you have no background on the matter? That's all that I'm saying.

Β 

You are correct that Daschle is the new Secretary of Health and Human services. This gets worse. The new Treasury Secretary, Geitner, is another new Cabinet appointee who also just came clean on taxes that he owed. So now we have two new cabinet members who are tax cheats. What an example for the rest of us.... In Geitner's defense, I don't remember the details from the paper, but his explanation seemed slightly more plausible than Daschle's, at least. It was not quite so blatant.

Mine is going towards engagement ring and wedding!! Not fun I know....but.....

Β 

+1

Β 

Although, the wedding is traditionally paid for by the bride's family... :secret:

Β 

So I don't have to worry about that part... ;)

Β 

Congrats guys.

Β 

Anybody else curious to see how close the future Mrs. littlepingman looks to Morgan Pressel?

Β 

BTW - congrats to everyone who got married in 2008 (me and Mrs. onebulldogs) and who will get married in 2009. Even though I ended paying for a ring, the wedding, and most of the honeymoon (maui), the mrs. was the best decision i have made in years. she even tolerated me playing 9 on our wedding day and the first day we hit Maui. Once the weather turns, she has promised to ad an R9 to my bag !!!!

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

You are correct that Daschle is the new Secretary of Health and Human services. This gets worse. The new Treasury Secretary, Geitner, is another new Cabinet appointee who also just came clean on taxes that he owed. So now we have two new cabinet members who are tax cheats. What an example for the rest of us.... In Geitner's defense, I don't remember the details from the paper, but his explanation seemed slightly more plausible than Daschle's, at least. It was not quite so blatant.

Β 

Actually, Geitner's defense was even less plausible than Daschle's. Geitner claimed TurboTax failed to prompt him to enter income he earned while working at the IMF. Even if the turbotax excuse was true (which i doubt), we are not talking about missing a few hundred dollars income, we are talking about hundreds of thousands of income which he failed to enter YEAR AFTER YEAR. This guy is smart enough to fix our banking system and he doesn't notice his adjusted gross income is 100 grand light? Yea. Right.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Dude, I never said he was guilty (which seems to be irrelevent anyway). I was commenting on the amount of income over 3 years seems to excuse the mere $128k cheating or oversight (allegedly) :rolleyes: . Geitner "forgot" to pay about $36k and that's wrong. If I "forgot" to pay $100 bucks then that would be wrong too. But maybe I could just appologize to Congress and I would be forgiven too.

Β 

It was also a comment on the fact that not paying taxes is not patriotic according to some in Washington yet those same people are hiring these anti-patriots. There is no end to the hipocracy. Now who should be "thrown in the brigg" Mr. VP?

Β 

But I made no assumption of guilt. If there was an assumption it was on your part that I did. I have no doubt that Dachle will not have any problems at all. :pardon:

Putting a little of it away for my Montana/Canada fishing trip this year and putting some house projects together.

Β 

Maybe pay off a car and get another one for my traveling.

Β 

I dunno quite yet, but no golf stuff :clapping:

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Speeder 553 Tour Spec
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5* Aldila RIP Alpha
Titleist T200 4-7, T100s 8-PW KBS Tour
Scratch 8620 DD 47*, 53*, 60* Aerotech SF i110
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

Bobcat 43, You are so right about the tax codes not being friendly to small business. I would love to hire some people to help me, and I would if I didn't have to pay so much every month in taxes.

Β 

Here is some food for thought, I am looking at having a part manufactured in china out of plastic. I would love to hire a company here in the USA to do it, but the China price is one that will still allow me to operate in the black. So, people of America what is that saying? I understand that in America our labor is better skilled and can make a better part, but who cares if I can't make any money. I am convinced that American labor is more a a luxury these days than a need. And I am not even bringing the EPA in to the discussion. Another nice thing about China, no epa.

Β 

Β 

Good luck to all the next few years, however if you work for the government your life is going to get better, but if you don't the next few years will probably suck bad for you.

Β 

Another thought, Did you guys ever notice how any government in any country obtains more control of it's people in times like this? Freedom is probably never going to be like it was and that is going to suck for all of us.

Β 

Thanks for reading,

Β 

Scott

Tuition since my school decided they only wanted to cover most of it and not all of it this semester. :black eye:

I always wondered how you managed college and all the clubs you run through. Makes sense now, that's awesome man! Wish my school was being paid for :black eye:

Β 

Β 

My list, hmm....

Β 

Exotics XCG 4 wood is really the only thing I'm set on.

Β 

Maybe a new 56* eventually if I feel the need. Might change up the clubs that come between my wood and 4 iron.

Β 

And damn it, why am I even looking at new irons?! Hopefully I'll just talk myself out of that one and invest some more time in my swing than new club research.

Driver:Β Ping G30
3-Wood:Β Ping G30
Hybrid:Β Adams Idea Pro
Irons:Β Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges:Β Scratch 1018
Putter:Β Scotty Cameron Red X5

• 3 weeks later...