2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Sky Caddie SG5 - bird's eye view

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

running XP and IE but may have found the problem...either timing or my ignorance...I'm betting on ignorance...

was wirelessly connected to my remote work network and apparently that was blocking the download?? Disconnected from work network and went straight to the internet and the upgrade appeared to work...haven't found the scorecard feature yet unless you need to be near the course?

Thanks

Quick and painless for me, its got auto detect and scorecard, but I wanted birds eye. Not sure if it has it.

As far as auto detect, it is a lot easier to pick your course. It took my unit about 10 minutes to autodetect the course about 1/4 mile from my office, and that is the last course I used it on so it was in the same area, not 100 miles from last use.

I talked with someone at SkyGolf because I couldn't get the upgrade for my SG2.5 and these are the questions and answers I got.

Nicholle: Hello. How may I assist you?

you: I heard that there is a new upgrade for the skycaddie for this morning and I went to sync and didn't see any upgrade or it synced to my skycaddie. I know of others that got it this morning

Nicholle: The only new upgrades we have are for those customer who have already purchased the Course & Expansion package

you: I have done that already

Nicholle: If you have the upgrade, you will need to sync your SkyCaddie to load the Digital ScoreCard

you: I tried that earlier and it didn't do anything. So what do I need to do?

you: I have the skycaddie synced right now

Nicholle: Which of our SkyCaddies do you have? (SG1, SG2, ....SG5)

you: sg2.5

Nicholle: Please hold one moment.

Nicholle: I think we are having a technical problem with the SG2.5 being prompted to do the update.

Nicholle: We have escalated the issue to our development team for further research

you: ok when do you think the problem will be fixed?

Nicholle: I can not give you a definitive answer right now as we just discovered the issue moments ago

you: so is it just the scorecard in the update?

Nicholle: The ScoreCard and My Par

you: what is my par?

Nicholle: Sky Caddie has also developed a score card that allows you to enter your handicap in to your SkyCaddie and it will adjust the score card to your handicap to allow the golfer to see how they score on the golf course using their handicap. Hit eh m=menu button and select preferences. The scroll down to HCP / My Par, a new screen will pop up. You can enter your handicap on the top half of the screen by using the directional pad and going left and right. The legal values are 0-36. The lower the number the better the golfer you are. This is a number that is used to equalize the game of golf and between the different skill levels of golf.

you: do you know when the other upgrades will be available and which ones?

Nicholle: The ScoreCard and My Par are the last of the upgrades that are slated to be added

you: When will the intelligreen pro and the birds eye view be available?

Nicholle: That was just introduced at the show and we do not have an ETA on the completion of those

you: alrighty. Thanks for your help

Nicholle: Thank you for being a valued customer. Good-bye.

I also own a 2.5 and have a slightly different problem...I had already purchased the expansion upgrade a couple of months ago and was prompted that I needed an update this AM (found out it was for the scorecard feature - which they don't tell you why you need an upgrade...just that you need one)

I did the upgrade but nothing changed...spent the morning with Skycaddie chat and tried several things including a GPS reset?? not sure what that was supposed to do...but it did nothing.

Anyway...same story here - it is in the hands of tech support for evaluation. They are supposed to call me when they figure it out.

The my par feature is nice to have! Thanks for the info.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

I called yesterday about this new feature. Skygolf told me that you buy/own the feature for however long you own the skycaddie. If you transfer the unit to someone else, the software is deleted, and you cannot transfer it to a new unit if you upgrade.

Funny, but when I buy and license new software, I don't have to but it again every time I buy a new computer.

I think if you plan on buying once Skycaddie is the way to go. People make such a big thing of the annual payment, but its less than a box of golf balls, and over 4 years, to get all the Pro level courses I would need (that costs you money lots of UPro folks wont mention that) , the UPro would cost more than an SG5.

Get an SG 2.5, which I think is the best bargain out there, and a Upro will never be cheaper until about year 6.

Too many people get wrapped up in the bells and whistles, when all you need is yardage. Im an idiot, I got an SG5, but the 2.5 is just as accurate. Color doesnt mean anything. I dont know of anyone who actually has used the 'flyovers' UPro has after the first hole or two for novelty sake. The scorecard on the skycaddy was neat the first few holes, but I havent used it since.

I like the Garmin because I like Garmins, but Ill take a bath on my SG5 if I sell it. Buy a 2.5 and dont look back.

I called yesterday about this new feature. Skygolf told me that you buy/own the feature for however long you own the skycaddie. If you transfer the unit to someone else, the software is deleted, and you cannot transfer it to a new unit if you upgrade.

Funny, but when I buy and license new software, I don't have to but it again every time I buy a new computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to correct this post. Today, in a requested follow up call from SkyGolf, I was told that the first technician/representative was wrong. The following was in their email:

"To answer you original question; The Expansion Package will allow you to transfer the software to another device. In the event you sell or transfer the device the software would be deleted."

So if I upgrage my SG4 to an SG5, I will not have to purchase the feature again.

edwood- That's good to hear. I just sold my 2.5 (which I already purchased the expansion pack) and I'm going to upgrade to the sg5. I was told that I couldn't transfer the expansion pack to my new device. But hopefully you are correct and I can.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 Aldila RIP 70x
Titleist 913F 15 Diamana 82 s
Titleist 913H 17 Phenom x
Titleist 714 CB 3-9 X100
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Vokey Raw Black SM5 46, 54, 58

It's a lot like my cell phone. When I first got it, I didn't use all the features because I didn't really see the genius behind them. The more I use the SG5 I have, the easier and more functional it has become. I can plan out the entire strategy of how to play the course and then keep track of my score and putts. I used to always use the centre green yardage, but the front and back features have encouraged me to try different trajectories and clubs to attack the green. Knowing the slopes of the green is key to getting it close and being below the hole. The yardage accuracy is really underated IMO. Being on the green instead of in a bunker, for example, makes par a heck of a lot easier no matter who you are! I can't wait to see all the features to be added on all the courses.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 16GF, 8GB 45"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

MG3 50, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Callaway Tour X

It's a lot like my cell phone. When I first got it, I didn't use all the features because I didn't really see the genius behind them. The more I use the SG5 I have, the easier and more functional it has become. I can plan out the entire strategy of how to play the course and then keep track of my score and putts. I used to always use the centre green yardage, but the front and back features have encouraged me to try different trajectories and clubs to attack the green. Knowing the slopes of the green is key to getting it close and being below the hole. The yardage accuracy is really underated IMO. Being on the green instead of in a bunker, for example, makes par a heck of a lot easier no matter who you are! I can't wait to see all the features to be added on all the courses.

And SkyCaddy is the ONLY GPS system where people actually walk the course and take actual measurements. You will never see a "layup to 100 yd marker" on any other GPS system because the hyper-accurate maps still dont show monuments very well.

And SkyCaddy is the ONLY GPS system where people actually walk the course and take actual measurements. You will never see a "layup to 100 yd marker" on any other GPS system because the hyper-accurate maps still dont show monuments very well.

Golf Guru has the "layup to 100 yd marker" . That is one of the reasons that a friend's wife loves the unit. That 100 yards in figure is important to her and the women she plays with. And if it isn't there on a particular hole, the Golf Guru lets them edit the course and add it themselves.

What other units show the slopes on greens at the moment? I was stumped by this Q. Also, I'd like to know which have a club selector function that bases the required club off a stored distance for each club? These are two functions I'd like to see in the SG5. I know the first one is sorta here/coming and the other is not as critical as the wind in FL can make a 3 club difference +/-!!!!!

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 16GF, 8GB 45"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

MG3 50, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Callaway Tour X

A couple of the features being discussed here are two of the ones that Skygolf has been touting since their Jan 29, 2009 press release.

IntelliGreen Pro
: SkyCaddie now offers a Pro version of its patented IntelliGreen technology that displays and provides measurements to all major green contours, false fronts and mounds.

Hole View
: The SkyCaddie can also provide a bird's eye view of each hole on the tee or anytime during the play of the hole to see the challenges you face.

Since neither of these are currently in the Expansion package, I asked about their availability. Their response was the following:

"The two features that you mentioned are not availiable at this time. When they do become available you will be able to download as part of your extension package to your SkyCaddie."

Right, our rep told us... similar to the walking of the courses, the green contours will take some time. It won't be a "switched on here they all are" kind of thing. It will be something that grows throughout the summer, and probably in to the fall. The hole view feature (sine it's going to be a graphic) will happen a little quicker and more courses at a time.

He said (here in Colorado for example) the courses that we have that are smaller courses and don't have much of a contour of the greens at all will be done last, and the "higher end" courses will get done first.

I don't know that this means they are going to walk them all again (highly doubt it) but the courses with these features will grow throughout the year.

What other units show the slopes on greens at the moment? I was stumped by this Q. Also, I'd like to know which have a club selector function that bases the required club off a stored distance for each club? These are two functions I'd like to see in the SG5. I know the first one is sorta here/coming and the other is not as critical as the wind in FL can make a 3 club difference +/-!!!!!

Phil, thanks for the info, I didnt know they had that. I know our seniors live and die by that 100 yard number. Dang sandbaggers! ;)

I dont know of any others that show the slopes of greens, and thats an ambitious enhancement SkyCaddy is trying.

I doubt the SG5 will have a club selector function. OnPar has it and this function means you can not use it during tournaments. USGA and R&A would have to approve it for use, and you simply can not turn it off to make it usable for the tourney.

If USGA and R&A approve the club selector function, local rules still may forbid it. One local course I play at on occasion just started allowing GPS use in tourneys.