True Temper Black Gold

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, yes they are stock S flex. They had to be tipped 1/4 inch to install in my R7TP's but no other adjustments. The only other shafts Ive played is DGS300. They dont feel stiffer actually feel softer but I think thats the "feel" of the shaft. I liked the DG's but I never had any real feel as if the shaft was "kicking " I had tip weights installed to bring the weight up to D4 as I like the feel of a heavier swingweight. That was the only drawback for me was the shafts are lighter..

Playing these in 755's. Perfect.

Hi, I just ordered a set of 755's with BG in S flex. Do they play stiffer than normal? My SS with a 6 iron is about 85, and it usually goes 170-175 yds. Do you think I'd be okay with this setup? Appreciate your feedback. :tongue:

Hi MK,

Did you get the 755 set with BG S? What's your verdict on the club?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was having trouble hitting my 755's with BG, with all of the rain here in Houston lately, playing half a round and getting rained out, and the extremely soggy conditions... It actually made me a little depressed, and I was ready to put them in the closet and take some lessons.

I decided to give them a final try, and went off to the range on Monday, and dedicated the range time to hitting only 6 and 9 irons at a few targets. Yesterday, I went out and fired a 74 (career best!) and broke 80 at my home course for the first time. I putted lights-out, and made 4 out of 7 birdie tries, but I really have to contribute my success to these irons AND shafts.

They seem to find the flag, right to left, left to right, or plain straight. Best golf investment ever made hands down!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a professional clubfitter and builder and play TTBG X's in my Hogan FTX irons. the softer tip profile of the BGs will give you plenty o' spin on the longer irons. they are frequency matched so if you step down to the stiffs in your longer irons, you may lose feel consistency throughout your set. the stiffs are obviously softer and lighter than the x's. I changed from DGX1s and couldn't be happier, just ordered a new set for my back up irons. these shafts are plenty butt stiff like the DGs but the softer tip profile gives them great feel and a bit more spin than DGs. Flight is between a DG and PX. If you do decide to try mixing the sets, let me know how it turns out!

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who have used the Black Gold X's in your irons, how are they coming up in the frequency scale? I have PX 6.5's in my irons, and they freq. in the 7+ range. I think this is the reason for my noticeable lack of distance with my irons.

I've read through the thread, and based on the good reviews, I'm thinking I might switch to the BGs. The set of irons that I had when I played at my peak were X100s, and I'm thinking of either going back to those or giving the Black Golds a try.

Also...I saw a few people mention that it actually brought down their ball flight. I'm hoping this is true, because I hit a high ball.

Any thoughts?

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Ball flight was not lower when I played them. I went with the "S" flex for feel and noticed that they were definitely stiffer that S300's. For me they played between X100's and S300's but felt WAY better and kicked the ball up slightly higher while adding 1/2 club in distance.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

• 4 weeks later...

There seems to be a lot of questions about Black Gold Frequency ratings and flex. I haven't tested all of the Black Gold Flexes for frequency, but having used a lot of true temper product, my best guess would be that there is a full flex between designations (I have BGX's that Freq at 6.5). My best guess would be X=6.5, S=5.5, and R=4.5. Dynamic Golds are a bit different in that there are subflexes (because of weight sorting). A DG s300 is about 5.5 and an X300 is 6.5. Generally in my experience, depending on length and swingweight, X100's (soft X) gererally run in the 6.0 to 6.2 range. Has anyone actually done frequency test with all of the BG products? I'd be interested to find out if this is in fact correct.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the concept behind this shaft was True Temper's attempt to have a competetive product to the RP Rifle shafts.

IMHO... the BG shafts have a really great finish on them and they look good in almost any set of irons out there. However, this is where is ends with me. I find them not as forgiving as the Rifle shafts and lack feel in comparison to them.

I know this is against how most of you feel on this site, but I am just telling you how I see these shafts.

I am sure they are really great shafts if fit properly, but they are not for me.

I much prefer the RIFLE over this shaft. I might also add that if I had to pick a shaft today to put in a set of irons, it would actually be the True Temper TOUR CONCEPT shaft. I like it way better than BG.

There seems to be a lot of questions about Black Gold Frequency ratings and flex. I haven't tested all of the Black Gold Flexes for frequency, but having used a lot of true temper product, my best guess would be that there is a full flex between designations (I have BGX's that Freq at 6.5). My best guess would be X=6.5, S=5.5, and R=4.5. Dynamic Golds are a bit different in that there are subflexes (because of weight sorting). A DG s300 is about 5.5 and an X300 is 6.5. Generally in my experience, depending on length and swingweight, X100's (soft X) gererally run in the 6.0 to 6.2 range. Has anyone actually done frequency test with all of the BG products? I'd be interested to find out if this is in fact correct.

I like your thoughts...but I would say the BGX's are closer to that 6.2(very close the standard x100) IMO

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,
I am currently on a set of Taylormade Rac TP Satin irons fitted with factory NS Pro 950G shaft in regular flex. I find the shaft too whippy and launches the ball higer than my previous rac LTII irons fitted with the T-Step regular flex shaft.

My swing speed for my driver is 100 - 102 and I would like to know what flex should I go for as I am planning to change the shafts for the irons to TTBG.

Many thanks for all your inputs and suggestions.

Have a good day,
dave

[quote name='qtd' post='821311' date='Dec 12 2007, 12:58 AM']Hi All,
I am currently on a set of Taylormade Rac TP Satin irons fitted with factory NS Pro 950G shaft in regular flex. I find the shaft too whippy and launches the ball higer than my previous rac LTII irons fitted with the T-Step regular flex shaft.

My swing speed for my driver is 100 - 102 and I would like to know what flex should I go for as I am planning to change the shafts for the irons to TTBG.

Many thanks for all your inputs and suggestions.

Have a good day,
dave[/quote]

My ss is very similar to yours, and I played BG stiff in a set of Titleist 755's about 2 months ago. After switching to a set of Miuras with hard-stepped stiff Nippon 1150's, I am convinced that this is the best iron/shaft combo I've ever played.

BG shafts are very smooth and explosive, but I felt that they needed to be properly loaded to perform. If you have a smooth swing, then they will work out great. However, I tend to be quick in transition, so produced more hooks and fat shots than desirable.

With Nippon 1150's, they are very lively, yet tight in dispersion. Ball flight is still mid & penetrating like BG's. The 950 reg's probably play softer to flex, so definitely way too whippy for your ss. You might want to look into the 1150's. Otherwise, the stiff in BG's should be plenty stiff. JMHO. Hope this helps.

My two cents...have been fidgeting with irons and shafts for 10 months now. I've played CG1s in DGS300 and TFR 5.5, CG2s in DGS300 and TFR 5.5, 690.cb in DGS300, DGX100 and TFR 5.5, 690.mb in DGS300, DGX100, TFR 5.5, PXF 6.0 and Black Golds in Stiff, MP-32s in DGX100, PXF 6.0 and Black Golds in Stiff. Here are my thoughts so far...won't bore you with the head choice but I can't believe the 690.mb's feel the best to me...weird. I like the 32's but don't have much feel/control as I thought I would. So, again, getting back to the shafts...
My driver SS average is 105 and irons 85. I hit 7i 165...smooth.
DGS300 and TFR 5.5 - both feel too whippy when I go at it and I like to be agressive ~60% of the time. DGS300 definitely lower ball flight than the TFR 5.5, however, the TFR's have way better feel.
X100/PXF 6.0/BG Stiff - X100 not as stiff as I thought would be, just didn't like the feel. PXF 6.0...amazing! I had them SST Pured and wowza! The BG's are a close second in feel but seem way heavier than the PXF 6.0. Also, I think the BG Stiff are heavier and stiffer than the X100s, not to mention def stiffer than the 6.0s.
So, my thoughts...I really like the PXF 6.0s. I actually hard stepped these once so prob playing at around 6.2. Putting them on the 32s tonight and gonna hit the 690s and the 32s both with PXF 6.0 to see which head wins. Logic tells me I should play the 32s for the added forgiveness but I sure strike the 690s well...damn these are accurate. Reminds me a bit of my CG1s as far as accuracy goes. I just didn't like the CG1s in the ball flight and weighting category.
Hopefully, someday I'll settle down. Can anyone give me some feedback on the 695mb and 695 cb? Thinking of giving these a shot.

[quote name='ironplayer' post='832446' date='Dec 21 2007, 12:45 AM']Does your Nippon 1150S have the same profile as other Nippon 950S shaft? I like the weight, but the 950S has too many 'steps' and generally 'Fatter' than DG S300. If Nippon 1150 S has the same profie or the thickness as the DG S300 or R300, I'll getting those the first thing tomorrow morning.

thanks,[/quote]

I'm not quite sure, but I do know that they are heavier and play more true to flex, if compared to the 950S. I love them and will stay with Nippon shafts for a good long time.

• 3 weeks later...

Strong, strong ball flight with Tour Concept X1 feel. Having played rounds with a considerable number of heads in a lot of different shafts the R7TP and BG X is the best all round combination I have played thus far. I have the same R7 TP heads in PX and they are not even close for ease and pleasure of use.
When I get my hands on another set of BG I will put them in the X-Forged and maybe that will be even better but I doubt there will be much in it when it comes to making scores.
TC X1 is a close second but the BG have a stronger ball flight with plenty of spin.
The aspects that immediately struck me the most were the almost unfeasible consistency from 3i to sand wedge, the "soft" feel and the kick into impact.
Some guys from the Omega China Tour were hitting either side of me and I could hear them talking about the consistency of ball flight into the 2 o'clock wind. Proof of how good these shafts are was brought home to me when one of them said, "Don't you get bored hitting every ball exactly the same height into exactly the same spot?".

It took me a while to stop laughing before I could make my lil post here. I was rolling around on the floor at the comment that the SHAFTS made him hit fat shots. lol

Anyway the Black Gold X Flex shaft are pretty stout to say the least! I like the heavy weight and feel. I never liked rifle shafts, but Im definitely impressed with the BG. I load em up heavy and hit high, flat shots that drop softly.

Im sure the S Flex performs similarly, specially with a smooth swinger.