2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

U-Pro Problems

... I guess I was anticipating it looking like that depicted in the Critical Golf enlarged image of U-Pro http://criticalgolf.com/golf-gps-reviews/c...pro_gps_review/ .
I can completely understand what you are saying here; it kind of stinks that they show the water in that picture the way they do. With blue water the picture does look a lot nicer, but it's completely misleading.

The color of the water depends on the actual cleanliness of the pond. It's a photo. I checked my courses and they all have various colors of blue/green. Maybe your course had an algae problem?

I wonder if Upro would change the pic? Call them and complain about the problem. I wonder if they'll fix it with a newer photo?

I think it comes down to the fact that some flyovers are apparently done via aerial photography and some via satellite mapping. The uPro website states that they do a combo of the two. The demo on the website shows much more detail than the courses I've looked at so far that I've downloaded. Either way I'm fine with the satellite images. I don't play too many unfamiliar courses and I just want the yardage (Anypoint and shot measurement are a nice bonus).

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I guess I was anticipating it looking like that depicted in the Critical Golf enlarged image of U-Pro http://criticalgolf.com/golf-gps-reviews/c...pro_gps_review/ .
I can completely understand what you are saying here; it kind of stinks that they show the water in that picture the way they do. With blue water the picture does look a lot nicer, but it's completely misleading.

The color of the water depends on the actual cleanliness of the pond. It's a photo. I checked my courses and they all have various colors of blue/green. Maybe your course had an algae problem?

I wonder if Upro would change the pic? Call them and complain about the problem. I wonder if they'll fix it with a newer photo?

I called them and, when I complained about the pic shown on their User Guide / Manual being very misleading, was told that the BK Whopper probably doesn't look anything like their ad either. I was told that I could attribute this deception (not the word he used) to "Marketing"! He certainly didn't make me feel any better about it.

i have to agree that the upro isn't as clear and bright as you see on the callaway upro website (which seems to be the same image as http://criticalgolf.com/golf-gps-reviews/c...pro_gps_review/

i find it acceptable in bright light, but not at the level of the garmin g5, in my opinion -the uPro sometimes looks a bit faded or washed out. as for the images on their site or other review sites...i write all marketing images off to just that...marketing. best way to know for sure is to find a video (i haven't seen any videos of the uPro in use on-course) or test-drive one (though i find most golf shops charge a hefty fee to use and then return if you don't like). be sure to use in both bright light and during overcast days, they can differ quite a bit.

as for the other issues - i haven't had any color issues or satellite issues when i have used the uPro. everything worked very well. remember that cloudy days can absolutely impact the satellite reception (btw - anyone know of good sites that show the analysis of how accuracy of gps devices changes under different conditions?)

Problem Update: My U-Pro SUCKS! I fully charged it before playing today and it gave out at hole #12 (and I don't even use it on some holes and certainly don't keep it on). I'm using the default 70% backlight, still can't see it well enough to use the Pro-Mode, so basically I'm just briefly using the Green and Hazard view in Basic Mode (and ESPECIALLY briefly using Hazard Mode since, as stated before, the hazard views aren't very useful). Can you U-Pro users see the Pro-Mode screen when wearing dark glasses? My glasses aren't especially dark, since I use prescription lenses that darken automatically outside, and lighten inside. Well, thank goodness I had my Sonocaddie V-300 in my bag and was able to use that for the remainder of the round (with battery indicator still indicating FULL CHARGE, despite the fact that it's been in my bag for the past 2 weeks without use while I've been trying to get my U-Pro to work). Hope the U-Pro Technical Support post is accurate, cause I'm getting ready to call them again and complain. Mine has the screen ON while it's charging, but I was told with my last support call that lots of people have reported that, and it doesn't hurt the charging, or device, at all. I just wish my V-300 had automatic course finder based on proximity, and especially automatic hole advance (speaking of which, once today mine would NOT back up to present hole I was on despite my hitting the arrow to try to get it to do this -- mine is set on auto hole advance without prompt and gnerally worked well, except for this one time). Except for not being able to see the screen in Pro-Mode, I wonder if I've got a "LEMON".

Problem Update: My U-Pro SUCKS! I fully charged it before playing today and it gave out at hole #12 (and I don't even use it on some holes and certainly don't keep it on). I'm using the default 70% backlight, still can't see it well enough to use the Pro-Mode, so basically I'm just briefly using the Green and Hazard view in Basic Mode (and ESPECIALLY briefly using Hazard Mode since, as stated before, the hazard views aren't very useful). Can you U-Pro users see the Pro-Mode screen when wearing dark glasses? My glasses aren't especially dark, since I use prescription lenses that darken automatically outside, and lighten inside. Well, thank goodness I had my Sonocaddie V-300 in my bag and was able to use that for the remainder of the round (with battery indicator still indicating FULL CHARGE, despite the fact that it's been in my bag for the past 2 weeks without use while I've been trying to get my U-Pro to work). Hope the U-Pro Technical Support post is accurate, cause I'm getting ready to call them again and complain. Mine has the screen ON while it's charging, but I was told with my last support call that lots of people have reported that, and it doesn't hurt the charging, or device, at all. I just wish my V-300 had automatic course finder based on proximity, and especially automatic hole advance (speaking of which, once today mine would NOT back up to present hole I was on despite my hitting the arrow to try to get it to do this -- mine is set on auto hole advance without prompt and gnerally worked well, except for this one time). Except for not being able to see the screen in Pro-Mode, I wonder if I've got a "LEMON".

Could be a bad unit. I generally have 50%-60% battery left after an 18 hole round. The first couple of charge cycles with a Li-ion battery can yield lower battery life. What are your power save preferences set to (not the backlight, the power save preferences)? Are you charging it via wall outlet or from the computer? My screen is definitely off while charging from the wall.

I don't wear sunglasses while playing but I could see where it could be a problem, especially if they are polarized. The uPro does seem to have an anti-glare screen. I still don't understand not being able to see the screen in ProMode. There are actually three views that you cycle through with the center button: the likely landing area (somewhat zoomed in detail view), the whole hole from overhead (everything is small here), and the green. Are you only looking at the "whole hole overhead" view?

Maybe uPro will exchange the unit for you - could be a defective one. I honestly haven't had any issues with mine.

I have been out with mine a few times this year and have not had an issue with my Upro. easy to see in sunlight and pro mode is awesome. I think you have a bad unit!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

Could be a bad unit. I generally have 50%-60% battery left after an 18 hole round. The first couple of charge cycles with a Li-ion battery can yield lower battery life. What are your power save preferences set to (not the backlight, the power save preferences)? Are you charging it via wall outlet or from the computer? My screen is definitely off while charging from the wall.

I don't wear sunglasses while playing but I could see where it could be a problem, especially if they are polarized. The uPro does seem to have an anti-glare screen. I still don't understand not being able to see the screen in ProMode. There are actually three views that you cycle through with the center button: the likely landing area (somewhat zoomed in detail view), the whole hole from overhead (everything is small here), and the green. Are you only looking at the "whole hole overhead" view?

Maybe uPro will exchange the unit for you - could be a defective one. I honestly haven't had any issues with mine.

Thanks for the replies. I called tech support and discussed my 3 most recent problems with the unit (not holding a charge, not able to see screen in sunlight, and once not being able to obtain current hole I was playing, even when using arrow keys). We checked the current charge of my unit (which I had recharged) and it showed 100%; we checked the power-save setting, and he said it was fine; he then suggested (a.) I set the backlight at 40% instead of default 70%, and said this might help my screen view in sunlight in addition to helping my battery charge retention. He suggested I charge it again for 20 min just before going out to play today, and to call him if still having charging problems, saying he might need to send me another rechargable battery. He said he would have the mapping dept double-check the mapping of the course I played which had the problems with obtaining one of the holes. He also suggested that I might need to briefly remove my transition-lens glasses / sunglasses when looking at the screen. He asked if I pointed the screen at various angles toward the sun to obtain the best view, and I told him I definately did this while trying to point it directly at the sun. I'm carrying my V-300 with me today, in addition to U-Pro, and this is probably the "Last Chance" for U-Pro, cause I'm tired of calling tech support, getting numerour suggestions "to TRY", and continuing to have the same problems. Future U-Pro Purchasers BEWARE!!

No problems here. I can't wait for the next set of upgrades to allow for score keeping etc...

What I really want is a UPro unit that let's you simply push a button at each shot location. It knows you are in the fairway or not and if you are putting. At the end of the round you could do a hole by hole overhead for a review that shows your shot pattern. It would also give you a summery for number of putts, GIR, fairways hit and keep your handicap.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Thanks for the replies. I called tech support and discussed my 3 most recent problems with the unit (not holding a charge, not able to see screen in sunlight, and once not being able to obtain current hole I was playing, even when using arrow keys). We checked the current charge of my unit (which I had recharged) and it showed 100%; we checked the power-save setting, and he said it was fine; he then suggested (a.) I set the backlight at 40% instead of default 70%, and said this might help my screen view in sunlight in addition to helping my battery charge retention. He suggested I charge it again for 20 min just before going out to play today, and to call him if still having charging problems, saying he might need to send me another rechargable battery. He said he would have the mapping dept double-check the mapping of the course I played which had the problems with obtaining one of the holes. He also suggested that I might need to briefly remove my transition-lens glasses / sunglasses when looking at the screen. He asked if I pointed the screen at various angles toward the sun to obtain the best view, and I told him I definately did this while trying to point it directly at the sun. I'm carrying my V-300 with me today, in addition to U-Pro, and this is probably the "Last Chance" for U-Pro, cause I'm tired of calling tech support, getting numerour suggestions "to TRY", and continuing to have the same problems. Future U-Pro Purchasers BEWARE!!

I have had mine for a couple of weeks and have played 5 rounds with it. It is quite simply, the best piece of Golf technology that I have ever seen. Not sure why you are having issues....Sounds like you may be biased. Oh well, I am too...Love the uPro

Does anyone know when they are upgrading the unit for scoring? I can't find anything on their website.

I love my uPro, but this is the one thing that is frustrating me. When I bought it, their website (in the FAQ) was saying February. When February came and went they were saying "shortly". When I contacted them and asked them they said "no timetable".

Great unit, but I'm eagerly awaiting this update and it appears they have no timetable for its arrival.

Does anyone know when they are upgrading the unit for scoring? I can't find anything on their website.

I love my uPro, but this is the one thing that is frustrating me. When I bought it, their website (in the FAQ) was saying February. When February came and went they were saying "shortly". When I contacted them and asked them they said "no timetable".

Great unit, but I'm eagerly awaiting this update and it appears they have no timetable for its arrival.

Callaway seems to be dropping the ball on this since acquiring uPro. Customer Serivice was at first EXTREMELY helpful at answering requests (courses, updates, etc), but as of late they've seemed fall of the map.

Definitely a fantastic unit, but if they're going to push the product be prepared to have the staff to support it.

Mine has the screen ON while it's charging, but I was told with my last support call that lots of people have reported that, and it doesn't hurt the charging, or device, at all.

I noticed the screen lights up bright white when I charge it.

The fix is this:

connect the cable to your Upro and then angle the plug into the wall outlet in a certain way. You'll have to try it several times, but I always charge mine with the screen completely black. Once you figure out how to put the plug into the wall at the right angle it works. I guess it's not a problem either way but I charge mine in my bathroom and I don't want a "night light" on all night.

I've used mine about 7 times now and it always uses about half the juiced for 18 holes.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Just got the uPro (exchanged the golf buddy tour) and I had no problems with charging. Everytime I plug it in with the power off I get a blank screen and a steady RED led.

Anyone know why they don't have auto DST in the settings? I had to set the time offset to AST. Not a big deal but other units already take DST into account.

Just got the upro but havn't taken it out to the course yet. Here is the response from customer support (emailed me back in 5hrs) to the much anticiapted update:

Thank you for your interest in the Callaway uPro Golf GPS. We expect to release a new software upgrade this summer. This upgrade will incorporate Score Keeping, Shot Tracking, and Voice Recognition, but no price is currently available. All further updates will be communicated through our website.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Nicolas

uPro Technical Support Senior Tech

I agree with some; I enjoy tinkering with GPS and liked my unit as well but once I converted to laser my interest in GPS faded away. My Bushnell is extemely quick and when using the slope mode drop dead accurate. It has really helped me understand the flow of my course quite well. I do believe however that once the GPS units become increasingly more intuitive they will indeed become more of the standard.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Just got the upro but havn't taken it out to the course yet. Here is the response from customer support (emailed me back in 5hrs) to the much anticiapted update:

Thank you for your interest in the Callaway uPro Golf GPS. We expect to release a new software upgrade this summer. This upgrade will incorporate Score Keeping, Shot Tracking, and Voice Recognition, but no price is currently available. All further updates will be communicated through our website.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Nicolas

uPro Technical Support Senior Tech

Thanks for sharing. I hope the scoring module allows you to keep copies of rounds on the website user account. Wonder exactly what the voice recognition feature will do?

Callaway seems to be dropping the ball on this since acquiring uPro. Customer Serivice was at first EXTREMELY helpful at answering requests (courses, updates, etc), but as of late they've seemed fall of the map.

Definitely a fantastic unit, but if they're going to push the product be prepared to have the staff to support it.

Agreed. When I first got my uPro, they responded to a few questions I had almost immediately (call within 2 hours once, email within 3 hours another time). While I don't expect that kind of service ALL the time... I do expect/hope for a response. I've been trying to get a course mapped for a tournament in July, and I can't get any response... and there is no expected availability date. Normally courses I've requested have been completed very, very quickly... so this is abnormal.

Still love the unit, but I'm starting to wonder how the service will continue to pan out...

The UPRO is not good, GPS isn't good for that matter. I got one to just try it out as I heard from friends it was pretty good. But it is a pain to use. All the features are worthless and take to much time to do while playing golf. The accuracy is also no good. I stood on the sprinkler heads (which are accurate) and the thing was 3-12 yards off sometimes. I went out the next month and stood on the same sprinkler head and got a completely different reading! It all has to do with the atmosphere and alignment of the sat's. GPS isn't accurate for golf get a LASER RANGEFINDER! Thats what the pros use. Except Peter Jacobson, oh wait they just pay him a bunch of money to say SkyCaddie is good.

Why pay the fees and cost for bad information when free information on the sprinkler heads is right there infront of you.

The UPRO is not good, GPS isn't good for that matter. I got one to just try it out as I heard from friends it was pretty good. But it is a pain to use. All the features are worthless and take to much time to do while playing golf. The accuracy is also no good. I stood on the sprinkler heads (which are accurate) and the thing was 3-12 yards off sometimes. I went out the next month and stood on the same sprinkler head and got a completely different reading! It all has to do with the atmosphere and alignment of the sat's. GPS isn't accurate for golf get a LASER RANGEFINDER! Thats what the pros use. Except Peter Jacobson, oh wait they just pay him a bunch of money to say SkyCaddie is good.

Why pay the fees and cost for bad information when free information on the sprinkler heads is right there infront of you.

To each his own I guess, but knowing the distance to front/center/back of the green is pretty helpful IMO. Use what works for you...

:ontopic:

Agreed. When I first got my uPro, they responded to a few questions I had almost immediately (call within 2 hours once, email within 3 hours another time). While I don't expect that kind of service ALL the time... I do expect/hope for a response. I've been trying to get a course mapped for a tournament in July, and I can't get any response... and there is no expected availability date. Normally courses I've requested have been completed very, very quickly... so this is abnormal.

Still love the unit, but I'm starting to wonder how the service will continue to pan out...

I'm experiencing the EXACT same thing right now. First course I had mapped within a week with great communication. Now it's almost been two months and I've heard absolutely nothing (even after trying to follow-up...twice).

Again, still a great product, but support (or lack of right now) is hurting it.

Which laser rangefinder company do you work for? From the lack of detail in your post I'd be willing to bet you've never actually held a uPro in your hand.

My uPro has been plenty accurate - a couple of courses around here have in-cart GPS and the numbers were very close between the two systems. Not every course has well-marked sprinkler heads and it saves time hunting around for one and pacing it off. To each his own.

Dwboston----

I am actually a form golf professional at a club now turned student as I chose to get out of the golf industry (do work in a bag room while going to school to get the free golf!). The club I was at actually had cart-mounted GPS and it was an excellent tool for administrative needs (pace of play, ect). But as far as the accuracy you really never know. All I know is its public information on Garmin's website that GPS is not accurate when it comes to golf, finding my house yes, golf not so much.

This is from the site of Garmin:

<H3 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 12pt">Q. How accurate is GPS?

</H3>A. Today's GPS receivers are extremely accurate, thanks to their parrallel multi-channel design. Certain atmospheric factors and other sources of error can affect the accuracy of GPS receivers. Garmin GPS receivers are accurate to within 15 meters (49ft) 95% of the time. Generally, users will see accuracy within 5 to 10 meters (16 to 33 feet) under normal conditions

Me again, now if you don't care about 16-33 feet you don't need a laser, a gps, anything you should just be enjoying the game with a few cold ones. The reason I have this quote is I would show it to my members trying to show them lasers help you play your best, and give you the best information. And lasers can give you the most important number the distance to the flagstick. Something no GPS can do, or ever will do because of cost. All I know is when I took my UPRO and stood in the first fairway on a sprinkler head that said 124 it said 116. I stood on that same sprinkler head later and it said 119.

Dwboston----

I am actually a form golf professional at a club now turned student as I chose to get out of the golf industry (do work in a bag room while going to school to get the free golf!). The club I was at actually had cart-mounted GPS and it was an excellent tool for administrative needs (pace of play, ect). But as far as the accuracy you really never know. All I know is its public information on Garmin's website that GPS is not accurate when it comes to golf, finding my house yes, golf not so much.

This is from the site of Garmin:

<H3 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 12pt">Q. How accurate is GPS?

</H3>A. Today's GPS receivers are extremely accurate, thanks to their parrallel multi-channel design. Certain atmospheric factors and other sources of error can affect the accuracy of GPS receivers. Garmin GPS receivers are accurate to within 15 meters (49ft) 95% of the time. Generally, users will see accuracy within 5 to 10 meters (16 to 33 feet) under normal conditions

Me again, now if you don't care about 16-33 feet you don't need a laser, a gps, anything you should just be enjoying the game with a few cold ones. The reason I have this quote is I would show it to my members trying to show them lasers help you play your best, and give you the best information. And lasers can give you the most important number the distance to the flagstick. Something no GPS can do, or ever will do because of cost. All I know is when I took my UPRO and stood in the first fairway on a sprinkler head that said 124 it said 116. I stood on that same sprinkler head later and it said 119.

None of the GPS devices I've used have been off by 16-33 feet. They have all been within a yard or two of marked sprinkler heads on courses where the distances are known to be good. Keep spreading the Laser propaganda though.

You do realize that 16 feet = roughly 5 yards, right? And 33 feet = 11 yards. A couple of yards of distance "error" is no big deal unless your name is on your bag and you are playing on Sundays for millions of dollars. Good luck getting front, middle, back yardages with your laser.

I do actually have my name on my bag. But I don't play for millions. I also do know how to do math. Are you not good enough to care if your readings are off 11 yards??? I don't know about you but my 150 club and my 161 club aren't the same and my 150 club and my 131 club aren't the same. Heck my 150 club and my 145 club aren't the same. But that just me.

This is what I told my membership:

To you and I both 33 feet matters on the green right??? You bet. Lets actually go to the more accurate end 16 feet or 5 yards. If I put you at 30ft how many could you make out of 10? Maybe 1, maybe 2, maybe none, I don't know. Thats probably where most people are at. But what if I moved you to 14ft you might make one or two more putts per round, or if I moved you back to 46ft you might make one less a round your two makes might go to one or none. Your 69 just went to 70, or your 70 went to 69 depending on which way you look at it.

I think people don't give themselves enough credit on the golf course. This is a tough game give yourself the chance to play your best. Whether its 150 or 160 might not matter to you from that distance but 30ft matters a heck of a lot on the green to us all even Tiger. Heck I read an article this week on ESPN that Tiger said one yard at Augusta when they were off ment 30-40ft because of the slopes in the green. Granted they play a different game than we I know that. But the pros don't use GPS, they chart everything with lasers.

You last point about front, middle, back. Does the front of the green really matter that much unless going for a par 5 in two or a long par four that you might want to know the carry to so your ball can release to the hole. You shouldn't be bouncing up that many 8 or 9 irons they should fly the distance of the stick most of the time. A yardage (the most important by the way the flagstick yardage) GPS doesn't offer.

I enjoy our talks, I mean nothing personal to you. I feel as though I have done my research on this and just feel strongly in my opinions. GPS is not a great tool for accurate golf measurements

Thanks

I do actually have my name on my bag. But I don't play for millions. I also do know how to do math. Are you not good enough to care if your readings are off 11 yards??? I don't know about you but my 150 club and my 161 club aren't the same and my 150 club and my 131 club aren't the same. Heck my 150 club and my 145 club aren't the same. But that just me.

To you and I both 33 feet matters on the green right??? You bet. Lets actually go to the more accurate end 16 feet or 5 yards. If I put you at 30ft how many could you make out of 10? Maybe 1, maybe 2, maybe none, I don't know. Thats probably where most people are at. But what if I moved you to 14ft you might make one or two more putts per round, or if I moved you back to 46ft you might make one less a round your two makes might go to one or none. Your 69 just went to 70, or your 70 went to 69 depending on which way you look at it.

I think people don't give themselves enough credit on the golf course. This is a tough game give yourself the chance to play your best. Whether its 150 or 160 might not matter to you from that distance but 30ft matters a heck of a lot on the green to us all even Tiger. Heck I read an article this week on ESPN that Tiger said one yard at Augusta when they were off ment 30-40ft because of the slopes in the green. Granted they play a different game than we I know that. But the pros don't use GPS, they chart everything with lasers.

You last point about front, middle, back. Does the front of the green really matter that much unless going for a par 5 in two or a long par four that you might want to know the carry to so your ball can release to the hole. You shouldn't be bouncing up that many 8 or 9 irons they should fly the distance of the stick most of the time. A yardage (the most important by the way the flagstick yardage) GPS doesn't offer.

I enjoy our talks, I mean nothing personal to you. I feel as though I have done my research on this and just feel strongly in my opinions. GPS is not a great tool for accurate golf measurements

Thanks

My readings aren't "off" by 11 yards. They are accurate. Enjoy your laser and your soapbox.

The laser users hang their hat on "tour players using them".

The truth is that caddies use them on Mondays and Tuesday walking around the course taking measurements to a tree stump through the fairway 280 yards off some tee box. Green locations and fairway distances are marked from years back and available in yardage books which tour players and caddies use.

Meanwhile, a bunch of amateurs bought lasers because they're too cheap for a subscription fee or because some "good player" at their club uses one. They're out on the course slowing up play trying to get a lock on a target. They're throwing off their swing rhythm by messing around with binoculars and monoculars that don't belong on a golf course.

GPS units are easy, fast, accurate, perfect.

My readings aren't "off" by 11 yards. They are accurate. Enjoy your laser and your soapbox.

The readings on my Upro have been very accurate. If you have pro mode you can point right were the flag stick is located. But most of the time I am just looking at the front center back readings. If the pin is in the back then I just subtract about 3-5 yards from the "back of the green" reading and hit. If I am playing a more serious round I will use the anywhere feature as long as I have the pro mode for that course.

I don't understand why this has to turn into an argument over which device is better. Each one has their advantages and both have disadvantages. I feel whichever one you decide to use will help your game out. I just chose GPS because I am a tech geek!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

Thanks

I have a Sky Caddie sg5 and never, ever, ever, has a distance been off 5+ yards from a sprinkler head, a black and white pole, or a gps unit in a cart. You cant chart a slope of a green with lasers, therefore if you 3 yards off in any direction, you might actually be better off, or you might be worse off, you dont know. Unless you have a yardage book, with the slopes of the greens and can hit that accurate, a yard difference is not going to do much for you. If it is a course that you play often, you will have a pretty good knowledge of the slopes of the greens anyway. As far as knowing the yardages to the front or the back of the green, that actually is a big help knowing if i can throw one high and spin it back, or throw a low checking shot to a pin that is in a back location. So that feature is a big advantage. Also your comment about the 145 and 150 club not being the same is a huge reason to have back and front yardages. I can hit 3 clubs the same yardage, whether it be a smooth 9, jump on a pw, or cut an 8 iron, there is a big advantage in knowing what i have where, and knowing to miss on the correct side whether it be back to front, or left or right so im not short sided either way. Just as you said, that is my opinion, and is why i like having yardages to back and front, even more than having the distance to the pin, knowing the depth of a green is a huge advantage on club selection so your actually on the green. Ill take a 33 foot putt, over a touchy shortsided chip any day of the week, and im pretty sure Tiger would as well.