Casio camera thread

Can anyone with experience of the FH20 give me some pointers on how to adjust settings on the camera to give me the best video output? I'm using the camera outdoors but still find I'm getting dark subjects when filming on the 210fps mode. Someone has suggested you go into a more manual mode but I'm not a Camera person.

Where is the sun positioned? Ideally, you'd want the sun behind the camera operator.

Depending on the time of day here at my range the sun is either behind you or two the right of you.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, thanks Kerry. I'm a golf nerd, computer nerd, programming nerd, and gadget nerd... so it's like a perfect storm.

Oh, here's another tidbit on the FC20. In the setup menu, you can set it so it remembers how much zoom you have the lens set at. When you power off (or if it goes into sleep mode or auto power off) the lens will go back where it was.

Thanks Larry ! Can I ask you about when you wrote "Note that on the FC20 and FC100, the fast forward is NOT REALLY fast forward. It skips frames to speed up the playback. You CANNOT play a swing recorded in high frame rate at a "normal" playback speed."

Are saying Larry, that if you want to record your swing in slo mo and regular speed you will need to take two separate recordings because viewing a slo mo (say 210 fps) recording at regular speed (where it skips frames) will not be high quality ?

Also, which program(s) do you personally prefer to 1) edit and 2) view your files on your computer when using the FH20 ? (NON Mac please if you are so inclined).

If you play back on the camera, the fast forward mode will skip frames to speed up the playback. There's no way to increase playback speed in V1Home or CSwing. You CAN increase playback speed in Windows Media player, but you have to set it exactly to 7X speed if you record in 210fps. (210/30=7). And in my experience, the play back is not perfect... looks a little jerky, but that could me the limitations of my computer.

I don't do any editing of my files outside of CSwing (which you can trim a video) unless I'm sending it to someone. At that point, I find Windows Media Encoder to be perfectly adequate (and free!)

Can anyone with experience of the FH20 give me some pointers on how to adjust settings on the camera to give me the best video output? I'm using the camera outdoors but still find I'm getting dark subjects when filming on the 210fps mode. Someone has suggested you go into a more manual mode but I'm not a Camera person.

Just put it into "Shutter speed" mode. That's where you tell the camera what shutter speed you'd like (1/2000, for example) and the camera adjusts everything else (aperture and ISO) to accommodate the available light levels. You could also move the camera closer to the subject instead of using the zoom. I believe this would allow more light into the lens.

Beyond that, sometimes conditions are just too dark to use a high shutter speed.

I bought my EXF1 from wolf's camera .

Any difference in quality of video's in EXF1 and FC 100, besides size .

The video's posted in the forum made using fc 100 do not look as great as what i see on my mac with EXF1 .

Is the quality not good when you post them on line .

EXF1 is bulky for sure .

Wondering the issue with the bulkiness, doesn't everyone drag the tripod out for recording, so its not like you can just chuck a camera in your pocket, grab your golf bag and hit the practice tee ??

I bought a mini-tripod which I've messed around with. I took it out last night, but I had my push cart with me and the tripod's legs can be bent to wrap around almost anything. Got the tripod at best buy for around $20

Otherwise I pull out the full size tripod. They have some very light weight plastic ones out there.

I bought my EXF1 from wolf's camera .

Any difference in quality of video's in EXF1 and FC 100, besides size .

The video's posted in the forum made using fc 100 do not look as great as what i see on my mac with EXF1 .

Is the quality not good when you post them on line .

EXF1 is bulky for sure .

Wondering the issue with the bulkiness, doesn't everyone drag the tripod out for recording, so its not like you can just chuck a camera in your pocket, grab your golf bag and hit the practice tee ??

I bought a mini-tripod which I've messed around with. I took it out last night, but I had my push cart with me and the tripod's legs can be bent to wrap around almost anything. Got the tripod at best buy for around $20

Otherwise I pull out the full size tripod. They have some very light weight plastic ones out there.

Larrybud:

Thanks again, your always helpful !

Based on all the feedback here, I just ordered my FC100 from Amazon ($305 including a 4GB card) and it arrives this afternoon! Anything I need to aware of before starting to film swings, or is it pretty self-explanatory? Thanks!

Pretty straight forward.. You might want to limit the amount of misc. time before the swing as reviewing in 210fps is slow! You can edit out all that extra time on the camera to minimize the actual file, however, so it's not that big of a deal.. It's just funny how long it seems to take before you actually swing the club..

Based on all the feedback here, I just ordered my FC100 from Amazon ($305 including a 4GB card) and it arrives this afternoon! Anything I need to aware of before starting to film swings, or is it pretty self-explanatory? Thanks!

You might want to get a 16G card. 4G is only about 11 min of 210 FPS video!

Also, if you use the trim feature on the camera, it has to have enough temp space to do the trim on the card. I'm guessing it copies the part you want to a new file, deletes the old file, then renames the new one.

My Dad wanted me to ask you guys about these cameras as he is considering getting one. Right now he is leaning toward the FC-20 since he thinks the 20X zoom would allow him to take good action shots of my tournament play. Do you think it would serve this purpose well? If not, he said he would go with the FC-100 and save $100. The primary reason for the purchase is will be recording swings on the practice tee but he is thinking the FC-20 will be more versatile but he has read that as a still camera it's not that great (probably has to be better than what we have - a 1.3 megapixal Nikon)

Hello all,

How difficult is it to use either the ex-f1, Fh-20 or Fc-100 with any of the cheap swing software programs, cswing, v1 etc? I know that v1 wants $1295 for the version that supports 300 fps on ex f1, so that is out.

Do any of you use slow mo with the low end version of the cswing or v1? or are you using regular speed?

Also, saw a post of program that works with the fc100 that has freeware, anyone tried it?

I am buying all three cameras and the new Rebel eos t1i today to take home and try out over the weekend. to try and get a feel for ability, difference and inside shooting in basement net. Would apprec any comments on swing software, will make for a better comparison.

My Dad wanted me to ask you guys about these cameras as he is considering getting one. Right now he is leaning toward the FC-20 since he thinks the 20X zoom would allow him to take good action shots of my tournament play. Do you think it would serve this purpose well? If not, he said he would go with the FC-100 and save $100. The primary reason for the purchase is will be recording swings on the practice tee but he is thinking the FC-20 will be more versatile but he has read that as a still camera it's not that great (probably has to be better than what we have - a 1.3 megapixal Nikon)

I have a 6 megapixel Canon Powershot that takes better photos than the FC20 at 9 megapixel, but the FH20doesn't take BAD photos, and it certainly will be better than your 1.3 mp Nikon.

I don't think anyone can tell you whether the 20x zoom is good enough for what you want. I know that 20X zoom is a LOT. It's almost impossible to take video at that level without severe shaking, even with a tripod. If I'm shooting stills at that level without a tripod, I set the camera to burst photo mode which takes 40 pictures within 1 second. I figure one of those will probably be somewhat centered and still!

Hello all,

How difficult is it to use either the ex-f1, Fh-20 or Fc-100 with any of the cheap swing software programs, cswing, v1 etc? I know that v1 wants $1295 for the version that supports 300 fps on ex f1, so that is out.

Do any of you use slow mo with the low end version of the cswing or v1? or are you using regular speed?

Also, saw a post of program that works with the fc100 that has freeware, anyone tried it?

I am buying all three cameras and the new Rebel eos t1i today to take home and try out over the weekend. to try and get a feel for ability, difference and inside shooting in basement net. Would apprec any comments on swing software, will make for a better comparison.

V1 basic will work with 300fps EXf1. You have to remember, the frame rate is the RECORDING frame rate. The playback rate is always 30 FPS (or slower if you're using the slo-mo controls in the software).

I have a distinct liking for CSwing, as I've found V1Home to be buggy... in fact, I downloaded the latest free version of V1 just the other day to see if it did anything new, and it crashed when I tried to run the update.

It's all super easy to use. Plug in the memory card or camera to the computer, run Cswing, open the swing you want to analyze, and use the playback controls to move forward and backward through the swing. Draw lines, circles, etc, on top of the video. It's pretty basic stuff.

Just wanted to thank for a good thread and report that I got my FC100 today and took it for a test on the range. I really like the slow motion video function but as others have already said, for still pictures there are probably loads of other cameras that manage it better. I used to have a really old Fuji Finepix and the Casio is better for shure but I had higher hopes since that Fuji was made 8 years ago. Main reason for my puchase was the video function so im still a happy bunny. My swing was horrible though but it was good too see what horrible mistakes I make and also be able to video very good players for comparison.

Reviews of both here.....

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_cas...o_ex_fh20_5.php

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/cas...specifications/

I bought the FH-20, the zoom and better focal quality of the lens was my reason for shelling out extra.

We got our FH-20. This vid is at 420 FPS. There really wasn't enough light I guess (sunny day, but getting near dusk). 210 would have probably looked better. Anyway, it's really cool...I think I'll be able to fix my chronic issues much more easily with this feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYMv4A3rDfE

That is cool!

Is your's so much brighter simply due to lighting or do you make some manual adjustments to the camera? I just turned mine on and figured out how to change the frame rate. Haven't expermented with other settings yet and the videos are darker than I would like but I haven't had a chance to use it on a sunny day with the sun high in the sky which I'm sure would help a lot.

We got our FH-20. This vid is at 420 FPS. There really wasn't enough light I guess (sunny day, but getting near dusk). 210 would have probably looked better. Anyway, it's really cool...I think I'll be able to fix my chronic issues much more easily with this feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYMv4A3rDfE

Very fine golfswing, Knuckle!

Since several guys have asked, I finally got some video of my swing today with the FC100 in 210 fps. It was super windy, about 20 mph from the left which I really hate to practice in (L to R wind), but here it is (with bonus club twirl footage!) lol:

One thing that I don't like about the FC100 is that you cannot zoom when filming in HS mode. Since the focal length of the camera is short, this means that the camera has to be relatively close (about 10-15 feet away), which creates considerable parallax error (converging railroad track problem). This is really a minor issue as long as you know it's there.

For all you TGM cognescenti:

I'm coming down the turned shoulder plane with a circle delivery path & single shift. Since I'm not dumping #4 power accumulator early enough, I have a full sweep release and tip out the clubhead at P6 (little bonus there for you Morad guys - why I hate practicing in strong left to right winds). So I'll be working dumping #4 earlier and holding my flying wedges longer. And keeping my armswing short (still too long for an 8 iron). Oh, my footwork's not the best either. Hehehe

Hoganfan, I have no idea what you said (except for the L2R wind, I hate it, too).

Can you explain parallax error a little and what to look out for as I don't want to be adjusting for something that is merely an optical illlusion? I have noticed that I can put the camera much closer than any camcorder I've ever used. I have been putting it pretty close because someone (LarryBud?) said he thought that it would allow more light if you didn't zoom. I can zoom the FH20. Would that lesson this error? I do notice how the clubhead looks so close when it's at its nearest point to the camera in the backswing.

Hoganfan, I have no idea what you said (except for the L2R wind, I hate it, too).

Can you explain parallax error a little and what to look out for as I don't want to be adjusting for something that is merely an optical illlusion? I have noticed that I can put the camera much closer than any camcorder I've ever used. I have been putting it pretty close because someone (LarryBud?) said he thought that it would allow more light if you didn't zoom. I can zoom the FH20. Would that lesson this error? I do notice how the clubhead looks so close when it's at its nearest point to the camera in the backswing.

Sorry, my bad. You CAN zoom when filming in HS mode with the FC100, but I believe that it does further limit the amount of light reaching the CMOS sensor (which would slow the shutter speed or increase the ISO setting - increasing graininess).

RE: parallax error. See in my video how the orange stick on the ground looks like it's pointing way to the left? It's actually aiming at my target, but since the camera is set-up along my toe stance line and relatively close to me, you can see a lot of the side of the stick.

See image below. Imagine that the golfer is standing on the left rail and the ball is on the right rail. Imagine how much more "across the line" the clubshaft would appear if it layed right over the left rail at the top and if the golfer were standing 10 feet away rather than 50 feet away. This is one reason why camera position is so critical in properly analyzing a golf swing. The further away the camera is, the less will be this effect.

You can also observe the parallax effect in the face-on putter footage I posted. Because the camera was only about 18" away from the ball, it makes it appear that I have a ton of putter face rotation when I don't.

The farther away from the subject, the less parallax will be observed. However, you really need to fill the frame to see the details, and just remember about parallax.

The alignment sticks are good for this and I never film without them when hitting from grass. Then you can always tell exactly where you're aimed. Draw a line through both alignment sticks (or edges of the range mat) until they intersect at the top of your screen. Then draw a line straight down from that intersection point. That will tell you the position of the camera, and the exact spot in the picture where there is no parallax.

You can only have a parallax error when looking through the view finder and not the LCD screen, correct?

No. There's no way to not have parallax. We live in a 3D universe, and you only have one point of perspective at any one time. So does the camera.

If I'm watching you hit balls down the line, and I'm standing so I'm in front of your toe line, no matter how hard I try, I can never see your back at address.

Your dad bought the right camera with the Exilim EX-FH20..I'm a professional photographer, DSLR, not video, and the difference in lenses alone between the pocket version and what you have is worth "more" than the price difference as you'll find out once you learn how to take advantage of your available settings.

I wish I had the time to offer lessons on this stuff but don't...there are some good photography sites DPR and FredMiranda to name two...then just google...terms are weird...just remember MAX Aperture on this camera is f/2.8-4.5 while the smallest Aperture is F/18 ... F/2.8 means the lens sees more light...F-18 means the lens sees less light...so when the light isn't optimal use the F/2.8

You have exposure controls...read up on how to use it...also they have metering...metering goes like this...You have the camera focused on someone in a black outfit metering will lighten the resulting picture...if the person is wearing white it will meter to darken the resulting picture.

I would try to learn all these settings and experiment if I were you guys. With these inexpensive cameras it is always better to have the sun coming from the back or from each side but never have the sun shine into the lens as you'll get a lot of lens flare and crap that will make your video poor quality. The auto settings seem OK...but y'all would do much better with proper use of camera settings.

ME? I'm working on my golf swing and have no need for video...mostly because at 74 I really do not have an interest in seeing just how freaking old I swing these days...LOL

Good luck to all...

BTW...I see both cameras use SD cards...I agree with Larrybud on getting the 16GB version...not expensive anymore and you'll need the space...also checkout buying a SD card reader that plug into your USB slot in your CPU...faster and doesn't cost you batteries...just remove the card put it in the reader and download to where you want it....best to make folders re: May09 backswing...blah blah blah...

FATS