Casio camera thread

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone comment on how well the Casio FC-100 works for around 60 fps recording? Is there a time limit on how long you can record? My old Canon Powershot would record less than a minute at 60 fps even though there was plenty of room on the SD card.

I want a camera to record most of my range session and just purchased a Kodak Zx1 for it's 60 fps, but I don't like the fact that it only does 60 fps in HD 720p - I cannot play it back well on my old Powerbook G4. The other problem with the Zx1 is that it doesn't have a very wide angle lens - I have to put the camera about 8 long steps away. Other than that, it's not too bad for the price. Shutter speed could be higher to reduce blurring of the club shaft. Thanks.

[size=2][color=#A9A9A9]----------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
[color=#a9a9a9]Ping Anser 10.5° - TFC 800D Stiff
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 17° - Aldila Tour Green Stiff
Callaway RAZR X Tour 21° & 25° Hybrids - Stock Stiff
​Nickent 3DX Pro 5-PW - Nippon NS Pro 1180 Stiff
​Titleist Vokey SM3 52° 56° 60° - DG Stiff
Nike Unitized Tiempo 34"[/color][/size]

I'm just kicking myself that I waited so long to get one of these HS cameras. I've used the FC100 three times already. It fits in the back pocket of my shorts and was able to get one of my playing partners on Sat morning to record a couple of swings...now I have an idea of what I'm doing differently "on course" vs at the range. The guys in my regular foursome all wanted to get one of these. Less than $300 delivered from Amazon for the FC100...

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Can anyone comment on how well the Casio FC-100 works for around 60 fps recording? Is there a time limit on how long you can record? My old Canon Powershot would record less than a minute at 60 fps even though there was plenty of room on the SD card.

It doesn't do 60 fps, it does 300, 420 or 1000fps, and the resolution gets smaller the faster you go.

The length of time is limited by the 4gig limit of the file system on the card. 300fps is about 11 minutes, but that doesn't mean you can't take more than 11 min of high speed recording... just not in one shot.

• 4 weeks later...

Damn you people!! I have just ordered a FH-20, and it's all your fault! :man_in_love:

Now I just look forward to it getting here. With a bit of luck, it will arrive at the same time as the J33 blades I have on the way. Ohh, by the way, I ordered a Gorillapod also, to attach the camera to my bag. Any experiences with that product [url="http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/slr/"](Gorillapod SLR)[/url]?

[quote name='gvibes' post='1840734' date='Jul 24 2009, 09:57 AM']I picked up the fc100 from my local Costco. They had it for 249.99, and included a case and 2GB SD card. Not sure how that compares to Amazon or whatever (keeping in mind that you pay tax at Costco).

Gorillapods are sweet. You'll love it.[/quote]

Do you have Costco item number please? I'm guessing it is a new item at Costco so not all of them have it yet. Two Costco's by me couldn't find it by the model number.

Thanks

[quote name='vj9999' post='1840752' date='Jul 24 2009, 10:13 AM']Do you have Costco item number please? I'm guessing it is a new item at Costco so not all of them have it yet. Two Costco's by me couldn't find it by the model number.

Thanks[/quote]
I'll check when I get home from work today. This was at the Lincoln Park/Chicago Costco.

[quote name='gvibes' post='1840934' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:24 AM'][quote name='vj9999' post='1840752' date='Jul 24 2009, 10:13 AM']Do you have Costco item number please? I'm guessing it is a new item at Costco so not all of them have it yet. Two Costco's by me couldn't find it by the model number.

Thanks[/quote]
I'll check when I get home from work today. This was at the Lincoln Park/Chicago Costco.
[/quote]

Thanks. I called them up. Item number is 412870. They say the price is 299.99 now which is still not too bad. Oakbrook and Naperville Costco's have some in stock too. I might drive there to avoid Cook county 10+ % tax :)

Thanks again!

[quote name='vj9999' post='1841108' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:40 PM']Thanks. I called them up. Item number is 412870. They say the price is 299.99 now which is still not too bad. Oakbrook and Naperville Costco's have some in stock too. I might drive there to avoid Cook county 10+ % tax :)

Thanks again![/quote]
Yep, that's right. Now that I think about it, it was 299.99 minus a $50 manufacturer's instant rebate. Maybe that was temporary, or only at a single store? I don't know. I just bought it on Sunday.

[quote name='dakotus' post='1841026' date='Jul 24 2009, 10:01 AM']Need to make a request here, can we see some more high speed videos taken with the cameras described in this thread?

some of the ones already posted are removed by users[/quote]
Here's a "fade that didn't fade" (oops) from a FC100 at 210 FPS. Not the best because the sun is more in front of me and off to the right, rather than behind.

[url="http://videos.golfwrx.com/media/40/Iron_Swing/"]http://videos.golfwrx.com/media/40/Iron_Swing/[/url]

10.5 (8.5) TM Sim2 w/ Smoke Blk 70 6.5  |||  16.5 HL Rogue ST LS w/ Smoke Blk 80 6.5

2i TM P790 w/ Smoke Blk HY 6.5  |||  4-PW Srixon ZX7 w/ S400

50.08 (SM9), 54.13 (TM MG3), 58.12 (SM9) w/ S400  |||  Byron Morgan 007

[quote name='gvibes' post='1841129' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:51 PM']Yep, that's right. Now that I think about it, it was 299.99 minus a $50 manufacturer's instant rebate. Maybe that was temporary, or only at a single store? I don't know. I just bought it on Sunday.[/quote]

Thanks. Got it for $249.99 tonight after $50 manufacturers instant rebate (good through 7/26).

Ok I have read this whole thread I don't think the answer is in there? We are a Mac(older G4) and pc house. What software is requried for both of us (say me on the pc wanting to film golf swings, her on the mac wanting to use the point and shot camera) to be able to use this camera? I am really a novice and don't want to get caught in the same trap I am in now. I have a Vaio and an older Sony mini that has to use Picture Package and it is such a pain that I don't use it. The fc100 looks perfect, but how hard is it to get those slo mo's posted up on the internet, YouTube or other sites? Sorry for the simplistic question. I saw one person say "windows media encoder" but any other suggestions on what software you need?

[quote name='dap' post='1842197' date='Jul 25 2009, 03:09 AM']A question to Casio FC100 owners.

At 210/fps,does it require near perfect lighting to capture blur free shots of the shaft near impact?[/quote]
yes it does but at 400 it is much better as far as blur goes.

[quote name='secondary' post='1842630' date='Jul 25 2009, 12:44 PM']Ok I have read this whole thread I don't think the answer is in there? We are a Mac(older G4) and pc house. What software is requried for both of us (say me on the pc wanting to film golf swings, her on the mac wanting to use the point and shot camera) to be able to use this camera? I am really a novice and don't want to get caught in the same trap I am in now. I have a Vaio and an older Sony mini that has to use Picture Package and it is such a pain that I don't use it. The fc100 looks perfect, but how hard is it to get those slo mo's posted up on the internet, YouTube or other sites? Sorry for the simplistic question. I saw one person say "windows media encoder" but any other suggestions on what software you need?[/quote]
I use a mac and everything is plug and play and uses the iphoto software. Didn't have to upload a thing.

I had been waiting to pull the trigger on the FC100 at Amazon for $289.99 but was waiting for it to drop. Came across this posting last night and headed over to Costco (San Bernardino, CA) this morning. To my surprise, it was $229.99 after $50 instant mfr rebate, including the 2gb sd card and case. With tax, it was $250 which is what some of those scam NY places are selling for before shipping. If you add the 90-day liberal return policy should anything go wrong, it's a pretty damn good deal. Can't wait to try it out.

[quote name='dakotus' post='1841026' date='Jul 24 2009, 10:01 AM']Need to make a request here, can we see some more high speed videos taken with the cameras described in this thread?
some of the ones already posted are removed by users[/quote]

Here are two swings from guys I played with last week. FC100 at 210 fps at about 6:30 Pacific time.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiyvEzdwXMw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiyvEzdwXMw[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD6LWxSaTZ4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD6LWxSaTZ4[/url]

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Here are my shots from today. Still figuring out how to use it. Wondering why the DTL shot is so dark. I'm figuring it's the brightness compensation, but not sure.

Iron FO
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZn5hoxP1c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZn5hoxP1c[/url]
Iron DTL
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6KzV4NAck"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6KzV4NAck[/url]

Overall happy with the buy. The slow mo is definitely cool. I'm a little disappointed with the video resolution at 210fps. It looks fine on youtube, but pretty grainy if you play it on media player or V1home.

[quote name='titleistman1' post='1845249' date='Jul 26 2009, 10:25 PM']Here are my shots from today. Still figuring out how to use it. [b]Wondering why the DTL shot is so dark[/b]. I'm figuring it's the brightness compensation, but not sure.

Iron FO
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZn5hoxP1c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eZn5hoxP1c[/url]
Iron DTL
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6KzV4NAck"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6KzV4NAck[/url]

Overall happy with the buy. The slow mo is definitely cool. I'm a little disappointed with the video resolution at 210fps. It looks fine on youtube, but pretty grainy if you play it on media player or V1home.[/quote]
First off, great swing!

Looks like the sun is off to the right of you, maybe a little in front, and you're getting no illumination from behind on the DTL. The FO looks bright, but in that case the sun is more behind the camera.

10.5 (8.5) TM Sim2 w/ Smoke Blk 70 6.5  |||  16.5 HL Rogue ST LS w/ Smoke Blk 80 6.5

Thanks. It's still a work in progress. As for the sun, how'd u know where it was? I couldn't have guessed from the video. So if I turn up the brightness compensation to +1 or +2, would the video have shown up?

I should add to my mini review that I really like the casio interface. Having worked with canon and Sony, this interface is much more friendly for golf editing and playback.

Where and when I practice is usually close to sunset with the sun in a similar orientation, and my DTLs looks about the same. I've never played around with any brightness settings, so not much help there.

Agree on the controls, it is so easy to play back frame by frame at the range. I rarely upload my vids to the PC, since I get most of the information that I'm interested in immediately on the LCD screen. It's also nice to be able to trim the video on the camera, which is MUCH easier than trimming after the fact with software.