Casio camera thread

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me yes... the extra wide that the Fh20 gives me indoors (garage) is perfect.. outside it might not matter as much. Still love the size of the FC100 though, the FH20 is a superzoom compact and not pocketable. I took alot of slo-mo of the ladies at the CVS/Pharmacy tourney and the FC100 is nice since I was already carrying a DSLR and a 400 f2.8 already. I cant image carrying 2 DSLR's and now the FH20 for the slo-mo's.. I really hate changing lens so 2 DSLR's was nice.

Another bonus for the FH20 is adjusting shutter speed in slomo.. helps with reducing shaft blur and help when lighting is not as good. Raw output option as well, but that's for the still picture portion. I'm keeping the FH20.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

[quote name='Tmiller72' post='2044095' date='Nov 3 2009, 08:25 PM']For those that have used both, is the FH20 worth the extra money over the FC100? Looks like you can get the FH for around $375 and the FC for around $240. I dont mind spending a few extra bucks if it's really worth it.[/quote]
As someone who owns both go with the FH20. The ability to adjust shutter speed is a necessity for anything but perfect lighting conditions.

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='2044201' date='Nov 3 2009, 09:04 PM'][quote name='Tmiller72' post='2044095' date='Nov 3 2009, 08:25 PM']For those that have used both, is the FH20 worth the extra money over the FC100? Looks like you can get the FH for around $375 and the FC for around $240. I dont mind spending a few extra bucks if it's really worth it.[/quote]
As someone who owns both go with the FH20. The ability to adjust shutter speed is a necessity for anything but perfect lighting conditions.
[/quote]

What are your shutter speed adjustments for less than perfect lighting conditions? I have the FH20 but I am unsure what kind of adjustments need to be made for poor lighting.

[quote name='goldfinger007' post='2044823' date='Nov 4 2009, 07:28 AM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='2044201' date='Nov 3 2009, 09:04 PM'][quote name='Tmiller72' post='2044095' date='Nov 3 2009, 08:25 PM']For those that have used both, is the FH20 worth the extra money over the FC100? Looks like you can get the FH for around $375 and the FC for around $240. I dont mind spending a few extra bucks if it's really worth it.[/quote]
[/quote]

What are your shutter speed adjustments for less than perfect lighting conditions? I have the FH20 but I am unsure what kind of adjustments need to be made for poor lighting.
[/quote]
There's no lookup table to tell you what it needs to be (I'm sure one could be made, but are you going to carry a lux meter around to the driving range?)

It just needs to be slow enough to give you a bright enough image. You can also but the camera on "Manual" instead of "Shutter Speed", and you can adjust the F stop. A smaller F # opens the aperature, allowing more light in. Also in the Manual mode you can change the ISO setting. The higher the ISO value, the more sensitive the camera is to light, however, the image has more grain. So it's a trade off, because you could have a grainier image, but still keep the shutter speed up there so that hte club isn't blurry.

This ain't brain surgery or tax preparation. You just have to experiment a little.

[quote name='johnha' post='2045041' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:12 AM']What length of video can you shoot in slo-mo with the FH20? Do you have to trip it and then quickly get off your swing, or can you leave it running until the memory card fills and get several swings in?[/quote]
you could probably film around 30 minutes at 210 fps depending on your memory card

This has been a really helpful thread. I am thinking I am going to go with the Casio FC-100, a GorillaPod, and a 16 GB SD card (and reader). This may be a dumb or even redundant question, but I don't remember reading it in this thread. When I do get the camera, I assume I can set it up on the tripod, and start the camera recording my swing prior to my stepping in front of the camera to swing the club? I say this because I know my wife is not likely to be one to film me in my garage over the winter. As one can tell from this question, I am no expert when it comes to cameras.

Thanks!

Kevin

[quote name='whofan1970' post='2045982' date='Nov 4 2009, 06:10 PM']This has been a really helpful thread. I am thinking I am going to go with the Casio FC-100, a GorillaPod, and a 16 GB SD card (and reader). This may be a dumb or even redundant question, but I don't remember reading it in this thread. When I do get the camera, I assume I can set it up on the tripod, and start the camera recording my swing prior to my stepping in front of the camera to swing the club? I say this because I know my wife is not likely to be one to film me in my garage over the winter. As one can tell from this question, I am no expert when it comes to cameras.

Thanks!

Kevin[/quote]

Yes, thats how i do mine.
I have a shaft I tape the mini tri-pod to, stick it in the ground then set it going.

I ran into this interesting example of use of the Casio on a Golf Swing.

[url="http://www.exilim.com/intl/sp/hs/function/highspeedcs.html"]http://www.exilim.com/intl/sp/hs/function/highspeedcs.html[/url]

Once you visit the link above, on the bottom part, click on the Example
opton that says:

"Golf Swing Check". It suggests that for this kind of pictures, and because
of the camera effect/distortion on the golf club, it works better if you turn
the camera sideways when shooting.

This explains why on some pictures, the shaft of the club bends dramatically
forward, but it is because as explained on a thread, the digital camera scans
in the up-down direction.

Looks pretty cool.

[quote name='johnha' post='2045041' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:12 AM']What length of video can you shoot in slo-mo with the FH20? Do you have to trip it and then quickly get off your swing, or can you leave it running until the memory card fills and get several swings in?[/quote]
at 210fps, you can only record 11min at one time, regardless of memory card size, due to the file size limitation of 1 file (which is 4 gig).

I almost never record more than 3 swings at once. It takes too long to fast forward though more than that if you want to see one specific swing. And if you watch the whole thing, remember it takes 7 times longer to view because it's slow motion.

[quote name='Riquet' post='2046265' date='Nov 4 2009, 08:43 PM']I ran into this interesting example of use of the Casio on a Golf Swing.

[url="http://www.exilim.com/intl/sp/hs/function/highspeedcs.html"]http://www.exilim.com/intl/sp/hs/function/highspeedcs.html[/url]

Once you visit the link above, on the bottom part, click on the Example
opton that says:

"Golf Swing Check". It suggests that for this kind of pictures, and because
of the camera effect/distortion on the golf club, it works better if you turn
the camera sideways when shooting.

This explains why on some pictures, the shaft of the club bends dramatically
forward, but it is because as explained on a thread, the digital camera scans
in the up-down direction.

Looks pretty cool.[/quote]

Where did you read that the CCD "scans" the image?

I am looking for a "do it all" ultra compact point and shoot digicam.

Some people in this thread have stated that the still photos from the Casio EX FC100, especially when compared with other similar brands. I was hoping a few of you could expand on that a little:

[list]
[*]Why do you think the photos aren't as good as another camera?
[/list][list]
[*]How picky are you being? (i.e., do you print out your photos in large format (5x7 or bigger)?, are you comparing it to a digi-SLR, etc.)
[/list]That sort of thing.

Thanks!

PING G30 Driver/3w/2h
PING i20 4-U
PING Tour W 56/60
Cameron Select 2.5
PING Hoofer

Price drop by $ 50.00 on the FH-20 at Henry's for us Canadian folks. Picked mine up yesterday !

[url="http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ItemsDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&departmentId=10404&categoryId=10429&itemID=246986"]http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...p;itemID=246986[/url]

[quote name='Harry Longshanks' post='2059680' date='Nov 12 2009, 01:23 AM']I am looking for a "do it all" ultra compact point and shoot digicam.

Some people in this thread have stated that the still photos from the Casio EX FC100, especially when compared with other similar brands. I was hoping a few of you could expand on that a little:

[list]
[/list][list]
[*]How picky are you being? (i.e., do you print out your photos in large format (5x7 or bigger)?, are you comparing it to a digi-SLR, etc.)

Thanks![/quote]
Hmmm. "why" do I think the photos aren't as good... interesting question. They don't seem as sharp, and the color accuracy looks off.

I JUST took these, one with the Casio FH20, one with my older canon Powershot 710s, which is just a point and shoot 5 megapixel camera made about 3 years ago.

The one on the left is the Casio; the one on the right is the Canon. Both set to all "Auto", no zoom, taken a few seconds apart (same lighting, it's super sunny outside today!)

I think the untrained eye can see a huge difference!

[quote name='Harry Longshanks' post='2059680' date='Nov 11 2009, 10:23 PM']I am looking for a "do it all" ultra compact point and shoot digicam.

[list]
[/list][list]

Thanks![/quote]

I'm very picky and spoiled by pro-level Nikon and Canon gear and have used many of the best compact cameras out today too. The stills from the casio are not sharp, the FH20 does a little better then FC100, but not much. Anything above 100iso noise starts to be seen. Now that is being somewhat pixel peeping, but try iso400 and it's no longer pixel peeping because it's easy to see.

Yes I do print big occasionally..you might be fine for 4x6 5x7..and no I am not comparing it too a DSLR. I also have and old Sony F707 that takes better pictures then the casios. Then I have a Fuji F31fd,Panny LX3 and now a Canon S90 that blow it out of the water.

Dont get me wrong, I've read the reviews on the casios and knew exactly what I was getting. I have the FC100 and FH20, although I will probably sell the FC100 shortly, I love these cams! The slo-mo is great and useful and fun actually. My favorite compact is the Canon S90, eventhough it lacks HD Video, previously it was the LX3.

Larrybud and Johnny -

Thanks a lot. Larrybud's side-by-side is very telling. If the Casio was better up to 400 ISO, I wouldn't be as concerned. But I can't imagine that indoor photos on auto (which is how I will almost always use it) will be very good if 100 ISO is the only setting that produces decent photos.

Poop. Now I have to figure out how important the high speed video is to me. Will I really use it enough to justify the loss of picture quality in still photos?

PING G30 Driver/3w/2h
PING i20 4-U
PING Tour W 56/60
Cameron Select 2.5
PING Hoofer

[quote name='Harry Longshanks' post='2064018' date='Nov 14 2009, 12:50 PM']Larrybud and Johnny -

Thanks a lot. Larrybud's side-by-side is very telling. If the Casio was better up to 400 ISO, I wouldn't be as concerned. But I can't imagine that indoor photos on auto (which is how I will almost always use it) will be very good if 100 ISO is the only setting that produces decent photos.

Poop. Now I have to figure out how important the high speed video is to me. Will I really use it enough to justify the loss of picture quality in still photos?[/quote]
Yes, you will ;-)

I have to say, though, that I used the camera at the range under the lights last night, and changing it to HD video at about 1/400 of a second and it was plenty bright... club was blurry, but pretty good low light levels.

I bought the cam solely for slow motion video. It's so much fun!!

Amazon price for the FH20 down to $311 today. I think this is just a preview of another big drop for black friday.

Let's face it, most people aren't looking for great slow motion, they're looking for high quality photos, which this
camera apparently doesn't take. I see the possibility of this going substancially under $300 for black friday.

I am tempted to go for this now though, to do this right you really need a least 2 cameras for face on and down
the line.

[quote name='JohnnyNight' post='2068928' date='Nov 17 2009, 05:15 AM']Amazon price for the FH20 down to $311 today. I think this is just a preview of another big drop for black friday.

Let's face it, most people aren't looking for great slow motion, they're looking for high quality photos, which this
camera apparently doesn't take. I see the possibility of this going substancially under $300 for black friday.[/quote]

No it's because the FC100 and FH20 are being replaced soon by the FC150 and FH25.. pretty much the same camera except a different CMOS sensor which should provide less noise performance in low light. Which I dont care too much about since I only use mine for slo-mo... not enough to upgrade anyways.

No John, yes John, I was right, that's what I'm talking about, obviously since this camera cannot take good stills, it will be replaced
by one that can, that is what I would assume, I would be shocked if the new model does not take higher quality stills.
That is the reason the price is dropping, this is basic retailing.

I believed most would understand that in the message. The FH20 price is dropping and will continue to do so because it
cannot take good pictures, in addition good slow motion is not a big enough selling feature to maintain a high price.

[quote name='JohnnyNight' post='2068954' date='Nov 17 2009, 05:44 AM']No John, yes John, I was right, that's what I'm talking about, obviously since this camera cannot take good stills, it will be replaced
by one that can, that is what I would assume, I would be shocked if the new model does not take higher quality stills.
That is the reason the price is dropping, this is basic retailing.

I believed most would understand that in the message. The FH20 price is dropping and will continue to do so because it
cannot take good pictures, in addition good slow motion is not a big enough selling feature to maintain a high price.[/quote]
Depends on how picky you are, small sensors with crammed mpixels is always tough on noise. I think the softness is sensor, lens and output algoritms. CMOS sensor will not solve all the issues,but it will continut to drop in price. Excuse typos..on my phone

The prices of the Casio cameras are dropping because that's the nature of the beast...price high when new technology is introduced to get the early adopters "price be damned" crowd, then lower the price to get the average guy interested. Lather, rinse, repeat. It has nothing to do with the technical deficiencies of the FC100 or FH20 etc.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

If anyone gets their hands on an FC150, I sure would appreciate an opinion about whether the still photos are better.

And if anyone finds an expected MSRP and/or street price for the FC150, that would be great too.

Thanks.

PING G30 Driver/3w/2h
PING i20 4-U
PING Tour W 56/60
Cameron Select 2.5
PING Hoofer