2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Casio camera thread

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dsilvers' date='11 January 2010 - 05:11 PM' timestamp='1263255102' post='2175538']
Hey guys....I just picked up an Casio FX-FC100 and was wondering what some of the optimal settings were for capturing swings in high speed. I am not that camera savvy, and in the two times I have used it there is some lag, or skipping in my captures. Thanks
[/quote]

Go with a class 6 (or better) SD card. The skipping is actually dropped frames, caused by your card not writing fast enough to keep up with the high frame rate.

D - MyStealth+ 9* - Ventus Black 5X 

3w - Sim 14* - Diamana A'hina 60X

5w - M3 19* - Diamana B70X

4h - M1 21* - Kuro Kage Black 80X

5i-PW - P770-20 - DG 105VSS X100

50/55/60 - RTX Zipcore - DG Spinner

P - 2-ball Protype Black

[quote name='logan91201' date='10 January 2010 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1263175740' post='2173675']
Have you guys heard about the new mini casio? The Ex-FH100.

Has a 3 inch screen, and manual shutter speed. Has some other added goodies but basically it has a bigger screen and equal shutter speed capability to the fh20, in the size of the FC100.

I will definitely be buying one in the near future. The 20 can be a little cumbersome at times.

Also rather than just 210 FPS, it has 120 and 240. Then the original 420 and 1000. I'm excited about 120 for the more casual taping sessions.
[/quote]

Coming from the other direction, if manual shutter speed is supported in HS mode then I would upgrade from the FC100.

The only other thing on the EX-F1 that none of the other models do that would be highly desirable is tethering.

Alright, I just ordered the FC100 for 228 shipped with tripod/case/cleaningkit/screensaver, and also got a high speed error free card to go in the Camera for an additional 59 bucks. Hopefully this will ultimately help me get my swing squared away. Got the FC100 cause I couldnt find the FH20 for anything under 300 or so. and id like something small to keep in the golf bag.

[quote name='Smack Daddy' date='30 December 2009 - 09:16 PM' timestamp='1262225800' post='2151723']
[quote name='Tmiller72' post='2151620' date='Dec 30 2009, 08:18 PM']Just got the FH20 on Christmas. Is the best card for it a 16 gig class 6?[/quote]

I ran out of memory on the range one day when I really didn't think there was that much saved. Plus, there is some kind requirement to have lots of empty space when editing so I would stick with 16gb.

Class 6 is the ticket. Up here Class 10 has recently been the same price as the Class 6. Not sure if Class 10 would get you an even more detailed picture or not.
[/quote]
Quality of picture is not affected by the type of card (it's digital, after all). As long as the card is fast enough (which a class 6 is), no frames will be skipped.

[quote name='Zico Martin' date='26 December 2009 - 06:48 AM' timestamp='1261828096' post='2144277']
Hi Guys, I got myself an FH-20 a week or 2 ago (mainly for golf analysis I must confess), I used it for the first time on Xmas morning (we have young kids :-). A couple of questions:

(i) When recording video in normal mode (not HS) - should a 10 minute movie use about 2GB of memory. I also didn't realise it would cut out after 10 mins :-(

(ii) When I was recored the aforementioned movie (AVI format), when I played it back on my pc, the movie apprears to be 'slightly' in slow motion. I just look again before hitting the send and I'm not imagining it, my 1 year old never moves that slow!

Thoughts appreciated.
[/quote]
1) If you're recording in high def, you get about 11 minutes of video in a 4 gig file (not 2 gig). The limitation is with the file system of the card and not the camera. 11 min of high def is 4 gig. 4 gig is the largest file FAT32 can store in 1 file.
2) Depending on how you played it back on your PC and the speed of your PC, it may be playing back a bit slow. High def video is very data intensive. If you're playing it right from the card that may be an issue (copy the entire file to your PC first). And it depends on what you're using the play it. I find Windows Media Player to be a bit slow in decompressing some video files. Try a free program called "VLC Player". It's an excellent video player

[quote name='Zico Martin' date='26 December 2009 - 06:48 AM' timestamp='1261828096' post='2144277']
Hi Guys, I got myself an FH-20 a week or 2 ago (mainly for golf analysis I must confess), I used it for the first time on Xmas morning (we have young kids :-). A couple of questions:

(i) When recording video in normal mode (not HS) - should a 10 minute movie use about 2GB of memory. I also didn't realise it would cut out after 10 mins :-(

(ii) When I was recored the aforementioned movie (AVI format), when I played it back on my pc, the movie apprears to be 'slightly' in slow motion. I just look again before hitting the send and I'm not imagining it, my 1 year old never moves that slow!

Thoughts appreciated.
[/quote]
1) If you're recording in high def, you get about 11 minutes of video in a 4 gig file (not 2 gig). The limitation is with the file system of the card and not the camera. 11 min of high def is 4 gig. 4 gig is the largest file FAT32 can store in 1 file.
2) Depending on how you played it back on your PC and the speed of your PC, it may be playing back a bit slow. High def video is very data intensive. If you're playing it right from the card that may be an issue (copy the entire file to your PC first). And it depends on what you're using the play it. I find Windows Media Player to be a bit slow in decompressing some video files. Try a free program called "VLC Player". It's an excellent video player

[quote name='505' date='11 January 2010 - 08:12 PM' timestamp='1263258746' post='2175696']
[quote name='dsilvers' date='11 January 2010 - 05:11 PM' timestamp='1263255102' post='2175538']
Hey guys....I just picked up an Casio FX-FC100 and was wondering what some of the optimal settings were for capturing swings in high speed. I am not that camera savvy, and in the two times I have used it there is some lag, or skipping in my captures. Thanks
[/quote]

Go with a class 6 (or better) SD card. The skipping is actually dropped frames, caused by your card not writing fast enough to keep up with the high frame rate.
[/quote]

thanks brother....worked out perfectly! got a great 8GB Class 10 Card for $29!

A few more questions for those camera nuts out there. I do most of my analysis (in the winter at least) at a range with flourecent lights at night so picture quality is not always best. Any sort of setttings for the FX-FC100 i should use for slow motion capturing to get the best picture? I've been tinkering with certain settings but just dont want to mess up anything. Also what about other settings for sunny days, overcast, ect. Hate to be a pain in the a**. Thanks for all your help.

[quote name='dsilvers' date='13 January 2010 - 04:47 PM' timestamp='1263426478' post='2179930']
[quote name='505' date='11 January 2010 - 08:12 PM' timestamp='1263258746' post='2175696']
[/quote]

[/quote]

thanks brother....worked out perfectly! got a great 8GB Class 10 Card for $29!

A few more questions for those camera nuts out there. I do most of my analysis (in the winter at least) at a range with flourecent lights at night so picture quality is not always best. Any sort of setttings for the FX-FC100 i should use for slow motion capturing to get the best picture? I've been tinkering with certain settings but just dont want to mess up anything. Also what about other settings for sunny days, overcast, ect. Hate to be a pain in the a**. Thanks for all your help.
[/quote]

I have yet to find any setting that works well in slo mo under the lights, I just film in regular speed in those cases.

I just got my new Casio EX-FH20 and could't wait to do this with it. Can't wait to see how everything looks @ 420 FPS. What do you guys think? Does it get much clearer @ 210 FPS? Haven't had a chance to mess with it alot, but i love what i've seen so far.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIZ1Wv1IHRk"]Over the power line [/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euK32v9O6B8"]DTL pitch close up [/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJoZPjlgUKA"]Face on close up pitch [/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPkOAFOG0wk"]DTL Swing [/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kITwNGuUeCs"]Face on Swing [/url]

[quote name='Deadpool_25' date='17 January 2010 - 11:05 AM' timestamp='1263744313' post='2186859']
Anyone checked out the Casio FS10 yet?

http://www.casio.com/products/Cameras/EXILIM_High-Speed/EX-FS10GY/
[/quote]

Yes has 3x zoom and doesn't have the advance night shot feature of the fc100 or 5x zoom.

[quote name='Slugsy' date='22 January 2010 - 09:09 AM' timestamp='1264169382' post='2196726']
Could I ask the Casio gurus which camera would be best for poor lighting - I know none are ideal but where the light isn't great, which one is best?
[/quote]

The Fh20 has a manual shutter speed option which will allow you to use the camera more effectively in poor lighting.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the FH-20 for about a month now and it's a pretty awesome vid.camera for capturing the golfswing in slo-mo.
One thing it does do in video mode and especially play back.....it eats up battery life quickly.
To remedy this problem,I got the Casio ADC-100 a/c adapter,which can recharge N1-Mh batts. and can also be
used as a direct power supply to the camera,which is quite useful in playback mode.

The adapter is kind of hard to find,but Adorama has them in stock for less than $50.
http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=adc100

[quote name='whofan1970' date='06 February 2010 - 11:55 AM' timestamp='1265475331' post='2231822']
[i][b]I just picked up a Casio FC-100 at a real good price. I noticed on the back of the box that Windows Vista and Xp are supported. Does anyone know if Windows 7 is supported?
[/b][/i]

If Vista is supported then Windows 7 will be a piece of cake. I edit the files directly on the camera (when required) for my FH-20 then save and view them on my laptop using Windows 7.

As "Whofan1970" how many windmills do you predict for tommorow...personally I would take the over.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/02/05/super-bowl-bets-count-townshends-windmills-time-underwoods-anthem/

Hehehe...I am a huge Who fan. But, I almost wish they wouldn't do it. Not that I don't think they won't put on a great performance, I think they will. But, there will be a bunch of paid 'fans' near the stage jumping up and down who just don't get it. But, I'll take the over on the windmills. Pete over 60 can still do it.... ;-)

I just purchased the FH20 and I'm interested in obtaining the AC power adapter AD-C100. The power-in port on my camera is marked 9V, but some of the online stores list the output of the AD-C100 as 7.4V - 9W. Others list 6V - 8.5W. I also read stores of incompatibility issues with U.S. 120 line voltage. Can someone give me a definitive answer as to the correct output specs for this device ? First tier Casio phone support doesn't have a clue, and doesn't know where to look.

[quote name='LittleHrange' date='11 February 2010 - 11:26 AM' timestamp='1265912816' post='2243998']
I just purchased the FH20 and I'm interested in obtaining the AC power adapter AD-C100. The power-in port on my camera is marked 9V, but some of the online stores list the output of the AD-C100 as 7.4V - 9W. Others list 6V - 8.5W. I also read stores of incompatibility issues with U.S. 120 line voltage. Can someone give me a definitive answer as to the correct output specs for this device ? First tier Casio phone support doesn't have a clue, and doesn't know where to look.
[/quote]

See my post on the last page,you can get the ad-c100 from http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=adc100

Works great with or without batts.

[quote name='Slugsy' date='12 February 2010 - 05:12 PM' timestamp='1266012742' post='2247200']
Well I have gone for the FH20 so fingers crossed. Initial impressions are, slightly worried about low lighting capability and also lack of instructions, where are the detailed instructions??????
[/quote]

Somewhere in this thread I posted a link to a much larger and more detailed manual.

[quote name='Smack Daddy' date='12 February 2010 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1266016383' post='2247345']
[quote name='Slugsy' date='12 February 2010 - 05:12 PM' timestamp='1266012742' post='2247200']
Well I have gone for the FH20 so fingers crossed. Initial impressions are, slightly worried about low lighting capability and also lack of instructions, where are the detailed instructions??????
[/quote]

Somewhere in this thread I posted a link to a much larger and more detailed manual.
[/quote]

Here is the manual I use, its pretty good.

[quote name='1UnderU' date='12 February 2010 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1266026184' post='2247690']
[quote name='1UnderU' date='12 February 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1266007101' post='2246985']
What size memory card do you recommend for the FC100. The 8gb 6 class cards is $27 and the 16gb $47. Is the 16gb really necessary? How much 210 fps footage can each store?

[/quote]

Anyone got an answer to this?
[/quote]

Get the 16b memory card if you want to save or archive your swings, if you plan on just filming at the range and then deleting the files 8gb is fine. If you look back at the posts LarryBud answers the question of how many minutes for how many GB's you can expect to get.

[quote name='Kerry_Bunker' date='12 February 2010 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1266018994' post='2247423']
[quote name='Smack Daddy' date='12 February 2010 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1266016383' post='2247345']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Here is the manual I use, its pretty good.
[/quote]

Awesome, thanks!

Well, tried it in the garage under very poor lighting, which was a no go, so took it to the range, again, no use, even with shutter speed of 1/250 - total blackout!

So initial impressions are slightly dissapointed, I thought it would be average under poor lighting but not a washout.

I'm on the practise course tomorrow, will no doubt be overcast/dull due to UK weather - will be interesting to see if I can use the slow mo, if not its going back as I can get a better HD camcorder.