Casio camera thread

D373- the FC-100 has a more powerful 5x zoom which is also a bit brighter than the shorter 3x zoom of the FS-10. None of them is as bright as the new FH100, though. The FC-100 also has image stabilization but I am not sure how well it works... on some of these small cameras this is somewhat of a gimmick.

Both are pocketable but the FS-10 is extremely so. If you need something to carry in your pocket at all times and barely know it's there then get the FS-10. In good light the less bright lens should not be a big issue.

Dap, good call on the Samsung; I had missed the high-speed capabilities. Let's hope the image quality lives up to the specs, Samsung have had some near-misses in the past. I agree that the Casio still looks like the safer bet... especially with that 10x zoom!

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like oscar said, the only real difference is the zoom capabilities, a 3x vs a 5x zoom.

the lens is slightly larger, so more light is allowed maybe for slight better picture quality and video quality.

if ur using this as a camera for golf video/swing help purposes... u cant go wrong with the FS10.

did someone have the golf software to download?????

[quote name='dap' date='10 March 2010 - 10:37 PM' timestamp='1268282273' post='2308299']
The Casio EX FS10 does not have optical image stabalization like the FC100.Another factor to consider.
[/quote]

In your opinion, is this optical image stabilization really that important? Seems like going from 3x to 5x zoom and adding image stabilization, Casio jacked the price by about $60 now.

[quote name='d373rm1ned' date='11 March 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1268313916' post='2308699']
[quote name='dap' date='10 March 2010 - 10:37 PM' timestamp='1268282273' post='2308299']
The Casio EX FS10 does not have optical image stabalization like the FC100.Another factor to consider.
[/quote]

In your opinion, is this optical image stabilization really that important? Seems like going from 3x to 5x zoom and adding image stabilization, Casio jacked the price by about $60 now.
[/quote]
Stabilization is probably not important for video as this feature only works for snapshots.

Personally I wouldn't get either of them if swing analysis is the main priority.I would get the FC150 or the FH100 as these work far better in low light and has full manual control over shutter speed.

[quote name='dap' date='11 March 2010 - 09:28 AM' timestamp='1268321289' post='2308917']

Personally I wouldn't get either of them if swing analysis is the main priority.I would get the FC150 or the FH100 as these work far better in low light and has full manual control over shutter speed.
[/quote]

What is the difference between the 2 ( fc150 vs fh100 )?

[quote name='crkranz' date='12 March 2010 - 01:40 AM' timestamp='1268322034' post='2308947']
[quote name='dap' date='11 March 2010 - 09:28 AM' timestamp='1268321289' post='2308917']

[/quote]

What is the difference between the 2 ( fc150 vs fh100 )?
[/quote]
FC150 is about the same size as the FC100.The FH100 is slightly larger but still pocketable.

The FH100 has 10x optical zoom vs 5x.The FH100 also has a 24mm wide angle lens compared to the FC100 38mm.The FH100 has RAW and HDMI output.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone talk about the differences between the FH-100 and the FH25 both in terms of video and still photography? Oh we can throw the Samsung TL350 into the mix too I guess. smile.gif

Bump for information. Is the FH25 the newer FH20, and what is the difference between FH-100 and FH25,20? Thanks. In the market for a Swing Video Camera, need some newer information as newer cameras are out since this topic started.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Deadpool_25' timestamp='1280283896' post='2603319']
Anyone tried a Samsung TL350 yet? I just picked one up at Fry's but haven't opened it yet. Gonna do a hair more research on it just to make sure. It was kind of an impulse buy. :)
[/quote]

i had been waiting for this one forever since they announced it instead of getting the casio. i had to wait 6+ months. baaaah. i ordered it immediately when i saw it for sale on samyscamera.com. I got this one over the casio because I wanted to be able to capture in RAW and also have the 1080p video recording. it's pretty cool too because it saves the files as .m4v or .mp4s so they're already compressed and I don't have to convert them. If someone is holding the camera you can pause it while it records so you don't "waste tape". Also there's in-camera editing but i haven't figured it out yet and too lazy to rtfm.

Here are some flop shot I took on the first day I got it. I haven't uploaded any full swings yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1WSxwhg1wk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpFAd8bymwc

[quote name='jming' timestamp='1280450489' post='2607390']
[quote name='Deadpool_25' timestamp='1280283896' post='2603319']
Anyone tried a Samsung TL350 yet? I just picked one up at Fry's but haven't opened it yet. Gonna do a hair more research on it just to make sure. It was kind of an impulse buy. :)
[/quote]

i had been waiting for this one forever since they announced it instead of getting the casio. i had to wait 6+ months. baaaah. i ordered it immediately when i saw it for sale on samyscamera.com. I got this one over the casio because I wanted to be able to capture in RAW and also have the 1080p video recording. it's pretty cool too because it saves the files as .m4v or .mp4s so they're already compressed and I don't have to convert them. If someone is holding the camera you can pause it while it records so you don't "waste tape". Also there's in-camera editing but i haven't figured it out yet and too lazy to rtfm.

Here are some flop shot I took on the first day I got it. I haven't uploaded any full swings yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1WSxwhg1wk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpFAd8bymwc
[/quote]

jming- the specs on the tl350 do look nice but re: recording a golf swing - it doesn't have a manual shutter in the high speed video mode, correct?

[quote name='djd' timestamp='1280452623' post='2607452']

jming- the specs on the tl350 do look nice but re: recording a golf swing - it doesn't have a manual shutter in the high speed video mode, correct?
[/quote]

i'm not sure what you mean, but i'm going to guess it does not. do the casios? also you can't zoom in and out while recording in high speed, but you can zoom in/out while recording at 30fps. it doesn't seem like it focuses though so this may be useless? while it is recording you can push the button and have it take snapshots during.

[quote name='jming' timestamp='1280454531' post='2607499']

[/quote]

i'm not sure what you mean, but i'm going to guess it does not. do the casios? also you can't zoom in and out while recording in high speed, but you can zoom in/out while recording at 30fps. it doesn't seem like it focuses though so this may be useless? while it is recording you can push the button and have it take snapshots during.
[/quote]

certain casios (EX-F1, EX-FH 20, 25 & 100 for e.g.) do - the reason you want a manual shutter (1/2000 sec min, 1/4000 sec or higher preferred) is so that you study a single frame (for e.g., impact) where the action is captured precisely without any blur ... if the tl350 does not have a manual shutter i think that you will find that when you examine impact from face on (even at 240 frames per second - which should not be confused with shutter speed) you will find that the shaft will be too blurred for single frame analysis ... regardless, the tl350 looks like a really nice camera

[quote name='djd' timestamp='1280455963' post='2607534']
[quote name='jming' timestamp='1280454531' post='2607499']
[/quote]

[/quote]

certain casios (EX-F1, EX-FH 20, 25 & 100 for e.g.) do - the reason you want a manual shutter (1/2000 sec min, 1/4000 sec or higher preferred) is so that you study a single frame (for e.g., impact) where the action is captured precisely without any blur ... if the tl350 does not have a manual shutter i think that you will find that when you examine impact from face on (even at 240 frames per second - which should not be confused with shutter speed) you will find that the shaft will be too blurred for single frame analysis ... regardless, the tl350 looks like a really nice camera
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm noticing that about the TL350. Might want a manual shutter speed. It's a nice camera in general, but that would be a nice feature to have.

About in camera video editing, just hit the pause button then use the zoom switch to set the editing point, then play up to the next editing point, hit pause, then the zoom switch again.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1267887018' post='2296626']
[quote name='dap' date='05 March 2010 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1267814469' post='2295164']
There is an alternative to the Casio FH100.

The about to be released Samsung TL350.It can also do up to 1000 fps and has a back illuminated sensor.It can also film 1080p video and has a 3in OLED display.

I am in the market for a new camera also and it's a toss up between these two.I will probably go with the Casio as they already have years of experience making high speed cameras but it this will be Samsungs first attempt.

[url="http://www.photographyblog.com/news/samsung_tl350/"]http://www.photograp.../samsung_tl350/[/url]
[/quote]
Ooo, those are pretty impressive specs!
[b]
It'll do 240fps in 608x342 (16:9 ratio) or 240fps in 320x240 (strange difference there).[/b]

Couple of the plusses for this camera is HDMI output. It's really a competitor to the FH20 since it has full manual control. Two minusses would be only a 5x optical, and 3" screen( vs 3.5").
[/quote]

I think the camera changed between the time they got theirs and the time the camera was released. The movie size menu item is unavailable in any of the high speed modes, and changing it in the 30fps mode has no effect on the other modes. There is also no choice for 60fps at all. Lastly, if the text on the screen is correct, the with of the movie in 240fps mode is 432 pixels at 4:3 (which is slightly bigger than they had).

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Jrose' timestamp='1288798731' post='2772158']
I have the Casio FH-20 when filming in 240FPS it will only video for 14 seconds. I bought a 16gig class 10 card and thought this would change. But still only video for 14 seconds. Am I missing something? Can someone advise what the settings need to be.

thanks

Jrose
[/quote]

Might need to format the card through your camera

[quote name='Jrose' timestamp='1288798731' post='2772158']
I have the Casio FH-20 when filming in 240FPS it will only video for 14 seconds. I bought a 16gig class 10 card and thought this would change. But still only video for 14 seconds. Am I missing something? Can someone advise what the settings need to be.

thanks

Jrose
[/quote]

That's not right jrose.

First off, the FH20 doesn't have a 240fps mode. It has 210 and 420. Both the 210 and 420 fps will get you 11 min, 26 second of video. The limitation is because of the 4 gig limitation per file, regardless of how large the card is. Obviously if you have less than 4 gig free on the card then that will be the limit.

Why do you believe you only get 14 seconds?

I know its not right, thats why I was asking how to fix it. It would only video for 14 seconds and I don't know why. I finally went in and reset all the settings thinking maybe I did something weird trying to get it right. I know do get 11 minutes. I may of had it set on youtube mode. Would that make a difference?

[quote name='Jrose' timestamp='1289408576' post='2783897']
I know its not right, thats why I was asking how to fix it. It would only video for 14 seconds and I don't know why. I finally went in and reset all the settings thinking maybe I did something weird trying to get it right. I know do get 11 minutes. I may of had it set on youtube mode. Would that make a difference?
[/quote]

I've never seen any mode that only lasts 14 seconds on the FH20.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Trap Junior' timestamp='1292288410' post='2839458']
Just bought the casio EX f1 online. Hope its worth it!!!:D
[/quote]

I got one a month ago, but bought the FH20 in the meantime while I tracked one down. I haven't even used the EX-F1 because I like the FH20 so much...but I think once I get it and use it, I will enjoy it more. Going to hang on to the FH20 for traveling as it's cheap if something happens to it. Let us know your experience with it!!

• 2 weeks later...