2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Casio camera thread

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1306105229' post='3254421']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1306103461' post='3254362']
Any Wrx'ers notice the image goes blurry once you start recording?? It looks sharp when framing up the student, then once and awhile, the recording blurs? Any insights? Thanks.
[/quote]

Is it really blurry or just grainy? When you set up with too fast of a shutter speed for the lighting conditions, the screen will get dark and grainy once you start recording. I have had the blurry problem before but usually it has been when I was hand holding the camera and had it pointed down at the ground before raising it to record. Didn't give enough time to refocus.
[/quote]

It is definitely a "blur" and not grain. AND, it doesn't happen all the time?

[quote name='Chas Tennis' timestamp='1306114995' post='3254801']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1306103461' post='3254362']
Any Wrx'ers notice the image goes blurry once you start recording?? It looks sharp when framing up the student, then once and awhile, the recording blurs? Any insights? Thanks.
[/quote]
I have been using only manual focus and it seems to work OK so far. Also in manual focus there is a bar that shows the distance on which the camera is focused. It might be instructive to do some manual focusing and to look at what the bar shows.

I believe the camera AUTO focuses when the still shutter button is pushed half down. Focus does not change during video recording.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out.

Heaven forbid, I read the manual:)

Thanks for replying. I have not tried hooking it up to the TV-I'm actually gonna try that tonight. Does Kinovea improve playback at all? I found a few tips [url="http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17288/%7E/why-does-my-video-playback-stutter-on-some-systems-with-some-applications,-but"]HERE[/url] that may prove helpful. I tried reducing the size of the video window during playback and it seemed to help initially, but that eventually failed. Messing with the playback speed in quicktime>window>show a/v controls seems to help as well. Just move it ever so slightly slower or faster than 1x.

The requirements are pent 4 3.2 or higher, but I think the core duo 2.5 is actually more powerful. It should have plenty of horsepower to play this file smoothly.

The sound card could be a possible culprit now that I looked into it further.
[/quote]

Do you have the manual? Pg 147 also says to move the movie to your hard disk before playing. Also to try recording STD video.

Pg 143 says something pertaining to "bundled software" - I do not know what bundled software is - and that operation under a "dual processor environment" is not supported with regard to bundled software. ?

My interest has been in high speed video which is recorded at much reduced resolutions compared to HD.

I am not very knowledgeable in video data rates and how much CPU speed is required to process the data for video. Pg 195 of the user's manual lists data rates for [b]recording [/b]-

HD - 30 Mb/sec
STD - 10 Mb/sec

HS 240 fps - 50 Mb/sec recording - for 30 fps playback 6 Mb/sec*

* The 240 fps HS videos would be played back at 30 fps so (30/240) X 50Mb = 6 Mb/s for play back.

Assume that the recording data rates and the play back data rates remain in proportion regarding the CPU speed requirements. Then the HD will be the most demanding to play for a computer with marginal speed. How does your computer do with STD and high speed videos?

[quote name='gmbtempe' timestamp='1306166466' post='3255933']
all these camera's I can tell you make sure it has adjustable shutter speed or you will lose a very valuable piece of information which is what the club face is doing on the downswing as it will be blurry with auto shutter speed. Still useful as a tool but just not as useful with the blur.
[/quote]
Agree 100%. Lots of discussions recently in this thread.
[b]
Casio Ex FH100.[/b]

I don't know of another currently available new high speed video camera that has manual control of shutter speed for HSV. AND has fast shutter speed such as 1/3000 sec or faster.

If you are replying to this reply claiming that other new cameras have manual shutter speed control please include links [b]that clearly state the HSV shutter specs [/b]and not just the shutter specs for stills.

If you are considering buying a camera research this point. The full user's manuals are available as downloads. Search - "User's manual Casio Ex FH100" or FC150 or HS10, etc. or go to the Casio support site.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys

Finally had a chance to take the Casio FH100 to the range.

Works great but hoping you guys can share some of your tips on how to get better image quality.

Here's a video I took today. Settings were as follows:

Shutter priority mode
420 FPS
1/4000th shutter speed

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ht7GuTLxd8k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1307046491' post='3280627']
hey guys

Finally had a chance to take the Casio FH100 to the range.

Works great but hoping you guys can share some of your tips on how to get better image quality.

Here's a video I took today. Settings were as follows:

Shutter priority mode
420 FPS
1/4000th shutter speed

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ht7GuTLxd8k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
[/quote]

That's the best resolution you'll get at 420 fps. Don't really need that frame rate for swing analysis. 120 fps is fine and the resolution is great.

[b]Behind or Side View and Selecting Camera Timing Settings -[/b][b] Calculations

[/b]Does anyone have a guess as to what % of the golf stroke videos are shot from behind and what % from the side? Which are most informative? Is the behind view most popular because the path of the ball can be seen?
[b]
1) Behind View: [/b] Viewed from behind the golf club does not move as rapidly within the frame as when viewed from the side. The fastest motion is the club head going down & then back up the frame before and after the hit. A lower frame rate such as 120fps might give very good videos.

[b]2) Side View.[/b] From the side the club head moves more rapidly across the frame. Faster frame rates will give less motion blur in the high speed videos.

The distance that the golf club head moves between frames for a 100 MPH (1760 inches/second) head speed is:

Distance = Velocity X Time between Frames

D = 1760in/s / Frame Rate

[u]Frame Rate[/u] - [u]Distance Traveled Between Frames[/u]
120fps - 14.6"
240fps - 7.3"
420fps - 4.2"
1,000fps - 1.8"

[b]1,000fps. [/b]If you want to try 1,000fps do a close up of the head striking the ball. Cover, say, 12" before to 12" after the hit. Use telephoto as necessary to keep the camera safe. You'll catch it randomly within 1.8" of the strike. You'll miss the full stroke but might see something interesting around the time that the club head hits. View on the computer screen with a smaller image because the resolution is so low. Put in a scale to get velocity. Mark the ball to get spin. Use 1/40,000s in bright sunlight. Does anybody have some close ups at 1,000fps?

[b]MOTION BLUR.[/b] For velocity across the frame.

MOTION BLUR = Velocity X Shutter Speed

For different shutter speeds and a 100MPH or 1760 in/s club head speed:
1/1,000s - 1.76"
1/5,000s - 0.35"
1/10,000s - 0.176"
1/40,000s - 0. 044"

For a close up of a 100MPH club head near striking the ball the fastest shutter speed of 1/40,000s would reduce motion blur to under 0.05".

[When using full MANUAL with the Casio FH100 [b]also set the ISO manually[/b], otherwise ISO [i]Auto[/i] will probably produce unnecessarily dark videos.]

• 3 months later...

[quote name='TKing' timestamp='1294020013' post='2871906']
I went and checked the specs on the lenses of those two cameras on the Casio website. The FH100 goes, in 35mm old school comparisons, from 24mm to 240 mm, and the FC100 from 37mm to 185 mm. The FH100 does go significantly wider in the 24 to 37 comparison. As I was talking about tradeoffs, the wider you go (shorter focal length) in a wide angle lens, the more angular distortion you get. If you fill the frame with the FH100 with the lens at its shortest focal length, you will get consideralbly more distortion. So yes, you can get closer, but it will make your belly look bigger and the club farther away at the top.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_distortion_(photography"]http://en.wikipedia....on_(photography[/url])

The lenses look like they are the same speed at the same focal lengths. With cheaper telescopic lenses like these, the f-stops get progressively smaller as the lens is telescoped out to longer lengths. The FC100 is f3.6 at 37mm, and the FH100 is f3.2 at 24 mm. I went with the FH100 because I needed the wider lens for other purposes, but never use it that wide for swings.

I didn't check the price differences on the cameras or other specs. These things are absolutely amazing to me though after being in photography for 43 years.
[/quote]
TKing
Could I ask what focal length you think is best for video swings? Would it be 80mm or there abouts - just guessing from a little Google research? Thanks for your thoughts, +1 on the FH100 is amazing.

Sorry I missed this question months ago. Everything in photography is a tradeoff. The longer you go with these lenses in focal length, the smaller the aperature which lets in less light, which needs a higher shutter speed, which requires more light on the subject or higher sensitivity setting, which lowers picture quality. In short, you have to do the best you can with what conditions you have when you are shooting. A longer focal length will give you less distortion of the person doing the swing while filling the frame, but will require a lot of light. You just have to balance it all out the best you can.

Fill the frame with as much focal length as let's you get away with enough exposure.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1316106621' post='3566314']
What is the best setting to minimize shaft blur in a zr100?...a question for those of us who was able to read this thread after buying a zr100...rofl on us...lol
[/quote]

You need to set the shutter speed on your camera faster, to 1/2000 of sec or faster.

Looking at the specs of the ZR100, the fastest the shutter speed will do is 1/2000, which kinda surprises me. Take a look at your manual and check for "shutter speed" section.

There is no shutter speed adjustment for hi-speed movie recording. It seems there are 2 settings available in zr100, one is select best scene mode selecting hispeed sports movie, the other is auto mode. But I don't know what shutter speed the program uses.

Darn..fh100 should not have been discontinued...

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1316134020' post='3567185']
There is no shutter speed adjustment for hi-speed movie recording. It seems there are 2 settings available in zr100, one is select best scene mode selecting hispeed sports movie, the other is auto mode. But I don't know what shutter speed the program uses.

[/quote]

According to an recent review by TPI .com posted on youtube ,the new casio zr100 has no software setting to manually change the shutter speed..may have a fimware upgrade in the future

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1316134806' post='3567218']
[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1316134020' post='3567185']

[/quote]

According to an recent review by TPI .com posted on youtube ,the new casio zr100 has no software setting to manually change the shutter speed..may have a fimware upgrade in the future
[/quote]

Yeah, thanks. Saw that actually...AFTER I bought the Casio ZR100...lol Didn't think we actually have a thread here about it until I Googled to see how to set the shutter speed and pointed me to this thread...lol

If anyone is having battery life trouble with the FH-20...

I sent mine to Casios service center for them to inspect it and see what the problem is. I was getting really poor battery life, inconsistent but it would get as bad as only being able to take 20 pictures or a minute of video. They claimed it might be a problem with the 'main board' or a 'PCB fault.' They kind of made it sound like it's a common issue. Maybe this has been talked about lots in this thread already, but I don't want to read all the pages (heh). So I'm not sure how much this is going to cost yet, but I'll update when I get it back because I remember reading somewhere that people were having this problem.

Hi ,

The casio fc100 is great as you can fit it in your pocket. at 210fps you get to see basically everything.
There is no need to buy the fh20

The casio ex-f1 at 300fps is unfortunately [b]MUCH BETTER[/b]. The picture is alot clearer and you get impact everytime.
I say unfortunately as its very difficult to buy 1 of these.

I have all 3 models and anybody serious about videoing swings should pay the extra and try to get the ex-f1.

cheers

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ugggh' timestamp='1319139914' post='3698211']
Check this out.. [url="http://casio.jp/dc/products/ex_fc200s/"]http://casio.jp/dc/products/ex_fc200s/[/url]

Not only does Japan get the sexy JDM equipment, but they also get a camera that automagically analyzes your swing!
[/quote]

Specs in English:

[url="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1015&thread=39639407"]http://forums.dprevi...thread=39639407[/url]

Two points for high speed video at 240 fps -

Resolution: 512 X 388 (considerably better than the FH100 at 448 X 366)

Exposure Control: Auto Exposure is listed. (Probably no affordable cameras are now available new with MANUAL shutter control. ?)

In bright sunlight the camera's AUTO might use a fast shutter speed. Test or look for YT results.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='galvinluznyj' timestamp='1316328784' post='3571441']
Hi ,

The casio fc100 is great as you can fit it in your pocket. at 210fps you get to see basically everything.
There is no need to buy the fh20

The casio ex-f1 at 300fps is unfortunately [b]MUCH BETTER[/b]. The picture is alot clearer and you get impact everytime.
I say unfortunately as its very difficult to buy 1 of these.

I have all 3 models and anybody serious about videoing swings should pay the extra and try to get the ex-f1.

cheers
[/quote]

Hi i've found 2nd hand F1's for about $1000 and new FH25's for about $500. I don't paying the extra for the F1 if its really worth it. I'd really like to be able to see the swing/club face at all points in the swing (if thats realistic)....What do you advise. Or maybe you think the FC100 or will suffice. Thanks in advance

[quote name='poppydot' timestamp='1321058992' post='3790115']
Hi i've found 2nd hand F1's for about $1000 and new FH25's for about $500. I don't paying the extra for the F1 if its really worth it. I'd really like to be able to see the swing/club face at all points in the swing (if thats realistic)....What do you advise. Or maybe you think the FC100 or will suffice. Thanks in advance
[/quote]
The FC100s 210fps is more than sufficient to follow the club throughout the swing. The FH100 has a manual shutter which benefits low light recordings. Both are highly portable. The F1/FH25 are inly woth it imho if you really 'need' a higher resolution (for big screen displays).

[quote name='bababa' timestamp='1321214514' post='3795863']
Judging by the youtube videos the ex-f1 gets the best shots because of its 300 fps and pretty good resolution.

Is there way to get access to one of these without buying it and without having to pay for extras like swing analysis which I can do myself?
[/quote]

Are you asking for someone to let you use a $1000 camera for free? It might be located at the same place that will let you drive a Lamborghini for free without buying. :rolleyes: Best bet would be to find call around or search for an instructor near you that has one. Ask them if you can pay a little something for their time to video you, not for their swing analysis, but even still, it's a stretch.....

• 1 month later...

[b]HELP! [/b]The EX FH 100 is out of production....ZR100 and ZR10 have flaws....FH20 is around 2K....what to buy under $500.00...must work well with Ipad V1 app and have a decent screen for those times when quick viewing without transfer to Ipad is preferred. thanks

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1324586630' post='3976857']
[b]HELP! [/b]The EX FH 100 is out of production....ZR100 and ZR10 have flaws....FH20 is around 2K....what to buy under $500.00...must work well with Ipad V1 app and have a decent screen for those times when quick viewing without transfer to Ipad is preferred. thanks
[/quote]
I have a FH100 but [b]no experience[/b] using Eye Fi, Ipad, or V1.

Here is some information for you to research.

[url="http://fstoppers.com/ipad"]http://fstoppers.com/ipad[/url]

[color="#FF0000"][b]REPLY UPDATED APRIL 2012 NEW INFO-[/b][/color] [url="http://fstoppers.com/how-to-tether-your-camera-to-an-ipad-without-jailbreaking"]http://fstoppers.com...ut-jailbreaking[/url]

There are other finds by searching [i][b]Eye Fi [/b][/i] [b][i]Ipad[/i][/b].

The FH100 can take an Eye Fi card. Whether it works with the specific Eye Fi card mentioned for the Ipad is another issue. I have read that Eye Fi can use considerable battery, maybe someone else with experience can comment on that issue.

Until a new high speed video camera with MANUAL exposure control is offered I'd buy a used FH100. The screen on the camera is larger & bright, big enough to see a lot on the LCD screen if the image of the swing is large - takes ~90% of the frame height.

If you learn anything on this interesting issue please update this thread.