2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Casio camera thread

In case anyone was wondering I talked a shop with v1 into letting me use their ex-f1 for a half hour for $30 so I got nice vids of all my clubs.

It got me thinking that renting a cam out at driving ranges might work. Anyone been to a range or shop that lets you rent cameras?

Or conversely, what would you consider paying to rent a nice slo-mo (300 fps+) cam for half an hour (i.e. did I get a deal cause it seemed like I did.)

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b][color="#FF0000"]CORRECTION: The information below does not now seem correct in view of the video in Reply # 635. [/color] [/b]Check this spec.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwC4sK89d68"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwC4sK89d68[/url]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that this video says that the new Casio ZR200 supports MANUAL shutter speed control to shutter speed of 1/2000 sec. Casio offering MANUAL shutter speed control again is great news!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpi75AJIHzE"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Xpi75AJIHzE[/url]

Just saw this in the dpreview Casio forum so please double check the capabilities. Although 1/2000 sec shutter speed has some motion blur for golf applications it is likely to be a big improvement over AUTO exposure control cameras. Could someone with one of these cameras provide some details on the high speed video settings & operation of the new Casio ZR200 camera. Also any Jello Effect information.

• 2 months later...

This video says that the new Casio EX ZR200 does not have full MANUAL exposure control - shutter speed - when operated in high speed video mode.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwC4sK89d68"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TwC4sK89d68[/url]

If minimizing the blur of the club head is important to you be aware of this feature.

[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1324586630' post='3976857']
[b]HELP! [/b]The EX FH 100 is out of production....ZR100 and ZR10 have flaws....FH20 is around 2K....[/quote]

I hadn't been in this thread for quite a well, but was browsing and this jumped out at me...

Is this correct, the FH20's are going for around $2000!? I'd lost track and had no idea if this is true. I think I got mine for around $330.

What is it about the FH20 that makes it so valuable now, that some of the other camera's don't offer?

[quote name='Cwebb' timestamp='1332870254' post='4592514']
[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1324586630' post='3976857']
[b]HELP! [/b]The EX FH 100 is out of production....ZR100 and ZR10 have flaws....FH20 is around 2K....[/quote]

I hadn't been in this thread for quite a well, but was browsing and this jumped out at me...

Is this correct, the FH20's are going for around $2000!? I'd lost track and had no idea if this is true. I think I got mine for around $330.

What is it about the FH20 that makes it so valuable now, that some of the other camera's don't offer?
[/quote]

someone please chime in, i woudnt hesitate one bit to sell mine for 1500.00+

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

[quote name='kenwiggins11' timestamp='1333125826' post='4613591']
I am not a camera guru. So which is the best camera to shoot the golf swing and minimize blur of club head etc. Without paying 1500-2000K. I do not understand what I am looking for.

Thanks
[/quote]

Very simple:
- Faster *Shutter* speed minimizes blur (more light is required however)
- Faster Frames per Second (fps) minimizes the distance the club travels from frame to frame

However, with a faster FPS usually comes faster shutter speed. The shutter speed has to be as LEAST as fast as the FPS.

Now, some cameras allow you to set the shutter speed manually, while others choose the shutter speed based on available light levels. Manual is better. I'd rather have a dark picture with minimal blur than a properly exposed picture with lots of blur. We're not making Ben Hur, we're trying to analyze our golf swing!

Thank you! I never understood all the numbers makes perfect sense now. What would you recommend for camera?. Looks like the fh-100 is only one that fits that mold. I appreciate your insight. Thanks again

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1333130626' post='4614143']
I am not a camera guru. So which is the best camera to shoot the golf swing and minimize blur of club head etc. Without paying 1500-2000K. I do not understand what I am looking for.

Thanks
[/quote]

Very simple:
- Faster Frames per Second (fps) minimizes the distance the club travels from frame to frame

However, with a faster FPS usually comes faster shutter speed. The shutter speed has to be as LEAST as fast as the FPS.

Now, some cameras allow you to set the shutter speed manually, while others choose the shutter speed based on available light levels. Manual is better. I'd rather have a dark picture with minimal blur than a properly exposed picture with lots of blur. We're not making Ben Hur, we're trying to analyze our golf swing!
[/quote]

[quote name='kenwiggins11' timestamp='1333134305' post='4614535']
Thank you! I never understood all the numbers makes perfect sense now. What would you recommend for camera?. Looks like the fh-100 is only one that fits that mold. I appreciate your insight. Thanks again

Thanks
[/quote]

Very simple:

[/quote]
[/quote]

The Casio models with full manual exposure control in high speed video mode have been the

F1 (2008)
FH20
FH25 (research battery life issues?)
FH100 (2010)

You can go back on this forum and find discussions on each model. I believe that all these models are now priced higher used than when new because no new cameras offer manual shutter speed control for high speed video. I assume that Casio did not sell enough of these high performance affordable cameras and so they discontinued producing them after the FH100. I use the FH100 and like it very much.

Thanks
[/quote]

Very simple:

[/quote]

Besides the older Casio options (which have gotten quite expensive) do any other manufacturers make a reasonably priced camera capable of achieving the same (or similarly close) slow motion quality of the EX FH100? If so, can someone please provide model numbers and comparative info? I only see the EX FH100s on Ebay and they are up to about $500 plus shipping from Japan. I'd love to find something for less than $200.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='fuab' timestamp='1333887026' post='4676050']
If you want to save some money and trouble trying to find a casio I picked up a canon elph300 and it does 240fps and works great. Its around 150 bucks and I have had both the fh-20 and fc100 and I belive it's just as good as them for half the price.
[/quote]

does canon elph300 have adjustable shutter speed ?

[quote name='verderraul' timestamp='1333888630' post='4676164']
[quote name='fuab' timestamp='1333887026' post='4676050']
If you want to save some money and trouble trying to find a casio I picked up a canon elph300 and it does 240fps and works great. Its around 150 bucks and I have had both the fh-20 and fc100 and I belive it's just as good as them for half the price.
[/quote]

does canon elph300 have adjustable shutter speed ?
[/quote]

No, the club will be a blur with the elph 300 /ixus 220 through impact. So I wouldn't say that it is as good as fh-20.Maybe fuab haven't set the right shutter-speed on the casios.

for me it's just as good considering the casio are next to impossible to find and you can pick up a canon at bestbuy. You are correct it only does 240fps and there is no adjustbable shutter speed like the fh20 or fc100 but, I still like mine just the same. My fc100 broke in about 3 months and the fh20 was sold for double what I paid for it.

Here is an example of someones golf swing not sure who but, it was filmed with a canon. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si-er6tGR4E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si-er6tGR4E[/url]

I can see enough in my swing with the canon to do the job but, he is correct the casio is going to be less blur through impact but, it's also going to cost ya.

[quote name='fuab' timestamp='1333975569' post='4683662']
f...................................................... You are correct it only does 240fps and there is no adjustbable shutter speed like the fh20 or fc100 but, ......................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................ he is correct the casio is going to be less blur through impact but, it's also going to cost ya.
[/quote]
I have not owned the Casio FH20 or fc100.

I don't believe that the Casio fc100 has manual control of the shutter speed in full manual high speed video mode (set aperture, ISO manually, shutter speed). Does anyone have a video taken with a fc100 of a golf club head with small motion blur?

Also, when you used the FH20 for golf can you recall what shutter speed that you set for high speed video?

[quote name='Chas Tennis' timestamp='1333987806' post='4685066']
[quote name='fuab' timestamp='1333975569' post='4683662']
f...................................................... You are correct it only does 240fps and there is no adjustbable shutter speed like the fh20 or fc100 but, ......................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................ he is correct the casio is going to be less blur through impact but, it's also going to cost ya.
[/quote]
I have not owned the Casio FH20 or fc100.

I don't believe that the Casio fc100 has manual control of the shutter speed in full manual high speed video mode (set aperture, ISO manually, shutter speed). Does anyone have a video taken with a fc100 of a golf club head with small motion blur?

Also, when you used the FH20 for golf can you recall what shutter speed that you set for high speed video?
[/quote]

I own a FH100.

It really depends on the lighting. On a bright sunny day, 240fps and 1/3200 will give you shaft visibility through out the swing
[url="https://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DOTz7esU9MYY&rct=j&sa=X&ei=cQyDT5QogoE6odyRigc&ved=0CFUQuAIwAQ&q=+casio+fh100+shaft&usg=AFQjCNGIMskdtbs2krcJ79kVkDocEkiv4g"][color=#000][size=2][/size][/color][color=#fff][size=2][/size][/color][/url]

Does anyone have any experience with the newer Casio EX ZR200? I'm interested to know how it stacks up against the popular EX FH100.

Also, does anyone have any more non Casio recommendations? I don't think their is a single place that carries Casios where I am (MN). Did everybody really get theirs from Amazon or ebay?

Thank for any help.

[quote name='lefty32' timestamp='1334087870' post='4694776']
Does anyone have any experience with the newer Casio EX ZR200? I'm interested to know how it stacks up against the popular EX FH100.

Also, does anyone have any more non Casio recommendations? I don't think their is a single place that carries Casios where I am (MN). Did everybody really get theirs from Amazon or ebay?

Thank for any help.
[/quote]
I'm interested as well. There have been conflicting reports about the ZR200 and manual shutter speed adjustment. Can anyone clarify and provide viable alternatives, or do none exist?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 2 weeks later...

I was checking the prices of used and new Casio FH100s and found some new ones from a Japanese supplier. I don't know the supplier. $349

[url="http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Casio-High-Speed-EXILIM-EX-FH100-10-1-MP-Digital-Camera-Silver-/100162917"]http://www.ebay.com/...lver-/100162917[/url]

I don't know if these are left over from the last production run or what. ? It would be great if they started making them again.

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1334099305' post='4696038']

Thank for any help.
[/quote]
I'm interested as well. There have been conflicting reports about the ZR200 and manual shutter speed adjustment. Can anyone clarify and provide viable alternatives, or do none exist?
[/quote]

I don't have the camera but there is nothing in the zr200 manual that indicates you can manually set the shutter speed.

When I did my research a few months ago, I didn't find any "reasonably' or comparably priced cameras (to the zr200) with high speed capability that also had manual shutter speed control.

So I ended up getting the nikon coolpix s8200 over the casio zr series or canon due to the fact that a) it was last years model on sale at best buy, b) canon limited high speed movie length to 30 secs (probably enough but...) c) casio availability in the us was terrible.

[quote name='Chas Tennis' timestamp='1335218355' post='4776108']
I was checking the prices of used and new Casio FH100s and found some new ones from a Japanese supplier. I don't know the supplier. $349

[url="http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Casio-High-Speed-EXILIM-EX-FH100-10-1-MP-Digital-Camera-Silver-/100162917"]http://www.ebay.com/...lver-/100162917[/url]

I don't know if these are left over from the last production run or what. ? It would be great if they started making them again.
[/quote]

I bought my FH100 off Amazon from a Japanese Seller for 240 USD in December. I recommended it to bunch of WRXers and the price went up by 100 USD within 2 months. The only issue i had was changing the language from Japanese to English....the seller did send a printout on how to do it....but it was a bit off. Anyways i managed to do it after playing with it for 15-20 min. One of the WRXers who i recommended the seller to had an issue with the camera and he was pretty upset about it.

These are definitely leftovers because the dates on the manuals werent recent....the seller ran out of Fh100s pretty soon as well....i think WRXers lapped them up

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1335276645' post='4780142']
[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1334099305' post='4696038']

Thank for any help.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I don't have the camera but there is nothing in the zr200 manual that indicates you can manually set the shutter speed.

When I did my research a few months ago, I didn't find any "reasonably' or comparably priced cameras (to the zr200) with high speed capability that also had manual shutter speed control.

So I ended up getting the nikon coolpix s8200 over the casio zr series or canon due to the fact that a) it was last years model on sale at best buy, b) canon limited high speed movie length to 30 secs (probably enough but...) c) casio availability in the us was terrible.
[/quote]

You cant, maybe next year Casio will wise up, nothing like having a camera that can perform a function yet the software is not written to let you do it

Hey guys so I've emailed Casio for stock updates on the Casio ZR200 Camera..

Got the following response back -

[color="#0000ff"][size="2"]Our current stock on all our models is totally sold out. We are presently waiting notification of any new models which may be introduced. It may be that these particular models are scheduled for the Japanese Domestic market only. However, until we hear further, I cannot give you any other helpful information. My apologies ![/size][/color]