Casio camera thread

The most important thing you can have when shooting SMOOTH high speed footage is the right SD card. A cheap card will be choppy and frustrating. With that said I have the FH20 and i love it

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='zabarnss' timestamp='1349278520' post='5744143']
I'm looking for tips in dealing with large video file sizes created when using a Casio FH100. I find that that the camera generates huge (many 100's of megabytes) for relatively short swing sequences (about 30 secs) when using 240 FPS mode. Transfer of even one of these files to an iPad or PC can take many tens of minutes. Has anyone found some methods to deal with these large files?
[/quote]

Plus the SD card directly into the device you want to transfer to rather than transferring through the USB (if that's what you're doing), or get a faster SD card.

[quote name='Chas Tennis' timestamp='1354589137' post='6014989']
One issue that has probably caused some users concern, hopefully just temporary concern - set the ISO to, say, 1600 and [b]DO NOT LEAVE ISO ON "AUTO"[/b]. If you do the video will be much too dark. I have no explanation and did not see this issue mentioned in the user's manual.
[/quote]

ISO harkens back to the day of film, and it's a setting in digital cameras which dictate how sensitive the sensor is in the camera. The higher the number, the more sensitive it is to light (hence the image will be brighter), but will introduce more "noise" in the image... IOW, the image will look grainy.

When set to Auto, the software in the camera probably won't allow the ISO to go above 400, and 400 is less sensitive than 1600, hence the darker image.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1354642829' post='6017265']
.......................................................................................................................
When set to Auto, the software in the camera probably won't allow the ISO to go above 400, and 400 is less sensitive than 1600, hence the darker image.
[/quote]

I think that you are exactly correct but would like to see this issue [i][b]spelled out[/b][/i] by Casio or other.

Usually you expect the AUTO functions to help out in a positive way, not to ruin the video. There are probably FH100's out there where the owners have not discovered this quirk. Maybe they have never used the camera with its optimal high speed video settings and are missing much better videos......?.

I've asked Father Christmas for a ZR300.

What really is the benefit of Manual mode? I can understand why for Long exposures on a DSLR but what good does this do for Video? Surely the video modes are selectable at different framerates specified.

Dan

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

Dan, manual mode allows you to set shutter speed manually, which a faster shutter speed will mean less blur of the club at the trade off of a darker image (assuming there isn't enough light). Shutter speed is different from frame rate, although shutter speed must always be faster than frame rate.

So if the framerate is 210 fps, it means the shutter speed must be AT MOST 1/210th of a second.

Normally the "auto" setting in a camera will attempt to make the best exposure of the image, which often isn't necessary or desired in recording a golf swing.

Larry, ah ok I understand that now....thanks

I can't see a point and shoot really doing manual shutter speed, it would take the market away from the bigger camera market.

I think i'll be happy going to anything for 200+ FPS stuff, compared to my mobile it will be a god send. Can't wait to see the 1000FPS as well, although a very poor resolution it might be useful for seeing putting :)

Dan

of about 3 inches

Dan, I don't believe that any of the affordable cameras now manufacturered offer full MANUAL exposure control or AUTO exposure control with 'shutter priority'[b][i] in[i][b] h[/b][/i]igh speed video mode[/i][/b]. Of course there are so many cameras that I can't be absolutely certain....... The Casio FH100 was first offered in 2010 and has been out of production for some time.

Suggest that you search this thread for "manual shutter speed", etc. for lots of information. In particular, there is a video comparing the Casio ZR100 to the Casio FH100.

[quote name='tommy89' timestamp='1354790747' post='6026345']
It fits my budget more than anything. I've not fully read the specs yet. If the ZR300 is a huge difference i'd maybe go for that.

My coach uses the 100 and it works fine for out on the course.

:)
[/quote]

Where do you play?

of about 3 inches

I started a thread with this today but may should have posted here so I am copying that post:

Like many, I am in the market for a really good camera to capture the golf swing. I stumbled upon the Panasonic Lumix FZ-200. . It does much higher quality images than others I have seen. HD at 120 fps and 640 x 480 at 240 fps. I'm no camera expert and have read that it has fully manual photo and video control, hopefully that means manual shutter. These videos look really good to me:

http://vimeo.com/47002396

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=k0tL-TC8FGQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dk0tL-TC8FGQ

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=SGrc9WRiEtQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSGrc9WRiEtQ

It isn't cheap at $500 plus but it has excellent reviews. Thoughts from the GolfWrx camera experts?

FYI, I'm pretty sure PingEye2 is talking about the Panasonic LUMIX FZ200 1080p

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmcfz200

Will be interesting to find out if it has manual shutter for high speed !

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

As discussed in this thread
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/760087-another-possible-camera-option/

The [color=#282828]Panasonic LUMIX FZ200 does not have manual shutter in high speed video. It has manual controls at 60fps HD video, but not high speed.[/color]

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

Another possible contender. [Update Dec 11,2012: [color=#ff0000][b]No manual shutter speed on high speed video[/b][/color]]

Samsung Galaxy Camera
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0SYMXxTNbUc[/media]

Does 120 frames per second.
Not sure about manual shutter for 120 fps video though.

== More research ==
Looks like it might do some interesting stuff.

[attachment=1447779:samsung.galaxy.camera.jpg]

[quote] At the wide end, there are 10 available apertures from f2.8 to f8.0; at the telephoto end there are four from f5.9 to f8.5. Shutter speeds go from 1/2,000 second to 16 seconds.

For movies, you can shoot at 1,920x1,080 pixels at 30 frames per second; 1,280x720 pixels at 30 or 60fps; 768x512 pixels at 120fps (slow motion); 640x480 pixels at 30 or 60fps; and 320x240 pixels at 30fps. You can also pause movies in the middle of shooting, so you don't end up with a bunch of small clips.

In the auto, program, manual, and semimanual shooting modes there is a row of 13 filter effects you can call up from the bottom of the screen. These can be used when shooting movies and applied to photos after you shoot as well.[/quote]

Source - [url="http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/samsung-galaxy-camera/4505-6501_7-35429670-2.html"]http://reviews.cnet....35429670-2.html[/url]

It does both of these ...
768x512 pixels at 120fps (slow motion)
Shutter speeds go from 1/2,000 second to 16 seconds.
- but does it do manual shutter speeds for 120fps video ? ([color=#ff0000][b]update: No it doesn't[/b][/color])

Specs : [url="http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxycamera/specifications.html%20%20(not"]http://www.samsung.c...ions.html (not[/url] that helpful with the question above).

[quote name='SunkTheBirdie' timestamp='1355083726' post='6042695']
As discussed in this thread
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/760087-another-possible-camera-option/

The [color=#282828]Panasonic LUMIX FZ200 does not have manual shutter in high speed video. It has manual controls at 60fps HD video, but not high speed.[/color]
[/quote]

You are positive? Disappointing if true. I emailed panasonic with that question.

[quote name='PingEye2' timestamp='1355113288' post='6044879']
You are positive? Disappointing if true. I emailed panasonic with that question.
[/quote]
Not positive.
But a camera expert at dpreview said what I posted above.

[attachment=1451127:adamt_nz.swing.jpg]
I downloaded a mp4 file from youtube.
It was filmed with an iphone.
I was quite surprised at how clear the shaft was !
I know the frame rate is 30 fps.
wonder what the shutter speed is ...

Is the Casio FH25 still considered one of the ideal cameras to get for filming the golf swing? I have the opportunity to pick one up and just want to make sure there isn't a better option? Thanks.

Taylormade M3 8.5* Driver
Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Taylormade P760 4-AW w/ PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec

[quote name='RobDMB' timestamp='1355415870' post='6062525']
Is the Casio FH25 still considered one of the ideal cameras to get for filming the golf swing? I have the opportunity to pick one up and just want to make sure there isn't a better option? Thanks.
[/quote]

The FH25 has high frame rates, manual shutter speed control and a very fast shutter (check fastest shutter spec). From what I've read, the comments by FH25 users are usually very positive.

One possible issue is the AA batteries. I believe that there was a reply on this forum that said a type of rechargeable AA battery worked well in the FH25. ?

Download the user's manual from the Casio support site for details.

So what would the drawbacks be to using a fh200s? I like the whole line thing, and most of my video would be during daylight. I would also have occasions when I would be recording indoors an or nighttime driving range. Since it doesn't have a manual shutter, will I only be losing ability to see clubhead clearly? I am more concerned with shaft plane and biomechanics of the swing. Face angles are really of no importance to me. But I also don't want a blurry mess with low light.

Lastly, once a video is recorded, will I be able to advance frame by frame? Thanks.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

Is that an FC200?
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/661230-casio-fc-200s-high-speed-camera/page__p__5873563__hl__+fc200#entry5873563

Comparing indoor and direct sunlight lighting levels - See reply #11.

[url="http://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?id=435"]http://www.kinovea.o...opic.php?id=435[/url]

Even when you can set the shutter speed manually there will be motion blur with current cameras indoors. This occurs because the camera has to collect a minimum number of photons to function. With AUTO control cameras that cannot set shutter speed there will probably be additional motion blur.

Search - [i]Youtube FC200 high speed video golf [/i]and find your lighting conditions as best you can.

So realistically, is it pojntless to purchase the fc200s? Should I just wait for the right Fh100 or fh20? Will the fh100 and fc200 frame advance like the fh20? Thanks.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

[quote name='Chas Tennis' timestamp='1355455065' post='6066165'] One possible issue is the AA batteries. I believe that there was a reply on this forum that said a type of rechargeable AA battery worked well in the FH25. ? Download the user's manual from the Casio support site for details. [/quote]

Dont know what was mentioned, but i use Sanyo Eneloop batteries on the FH25 that i have and works fine.. lasts a while

[quote name='longbal30' timestamp='1355685365' post='6077043']
once a FH200 video is recorded, will I be able to advance frame by frame?
[/quote]
Yes.
The Casio cameras have great in camera playback and edit tools.

[quote name='Chas Tennis' timestamp='1355455065' post='6066165']
Casio !
[/quote]
Hi Chas,

[quote name='KC21Balla' timestamp='1355783006' post='6082497']
I am looking for a video camera that is able to record a golf swing with a person that is aprox only 6ft or so from the camera lens. All cameras I have come across I can only capture about half of the persons body. I am not sure if this deals with lens or what but I am working out of a small studio for the winter and would like to mount a camera on the back wall. Like I said the only issue is that the building is only about 15ft deep. so with the person hitting out of the building the club comes within about 6-10ft from the back wall. Please help. I feel like there has to be a solution. Thanks in advance! [/quote]
Which of the these Casios ...
[quote]
The Casio models with full manual exposure control in high speed video mode have been the:
FH1
FH25
FH100
FH20
[/quote]
has the widest angle lens ?
What camera statistic deals with "wide angle lens ability" ?