Casio camera thread

[quote name='Chris Mac' timestamp='1293306149' post='2858699']
Hey guys,

I got the FH-20 and it is just taking awful videos. Everything in High speed is dark dark and I have adjusted the shutter and everything. I was really excited about this one but can't seem to figure it out. any help.
[/quote]

Thats what happens when you crank up the FPS. Either get more light or lower the FPS....or get a better camera.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I got the FH-20 and it is just taking awful videos. Everything in High speed is dark dark and I have adjusted the shutter and everything. I was really excited about this one but can't seem to figure it out. any help.
[/quote]
High speed video only works outside on sunny days.Videos taken indoors will be very dark.You can't drop the shutter speed below the frames per second.For example in 420fps mode you cannot use lower than 1/420 sec shutter speed.This shutter speed simply won't work indoors or even outside on overcast days.

The FH25 has a higher sensitivity backlit sensor so videos are brighter but will still need plenty of light.You really can't expect miracles with these cameras.

[quote name='Rugger' timestamp='1293306680' post='2858712']
Hey guys,

[/quote]

Thats what happens when you crank up the FPS. Either get more light or lower the FPS....or get a better camera.
[/quote]
That's why the FH100 or the FH25 is better.It has a 120fps mode as well as the better sensor.This actually works indoors if you keep the shutter speed below 1/125 sec and bump up the ISO.

I bought my FH100 from Adorama and just shopped there for the card too. Cards will show up on the right side of the screen when you find the camera and those will lead you to others. I don't even remember which one I bought, but they have the specs and reviews right there easy to find. I also go a neat little LowePro camera case for it. Normal shipping from them to us in N.C. is a couple of days. I've bought a number of cameras from them over the years and have always had nothing but good, quick service from them.

[url="http://www.adorama.com/ICSEXFH100.html"]http://www.adorama.com/ICSEXFH100.html[/url]

[quote name='gwlee7' timestamp='1293379858' post='2859395']
I am thinking about getting an fh100. What would be the best type of memory card to purchase for it?
[/quote]
Get the fastest card available.It can have a tendency to drop frames if the SD card is slow.Go with speed rather than capacity.The larger capacity cards tend to be slower.

I checked today and this is the one I ended up getting. I don't remember the thought process in choosing, but it works with no complaints from me. I've never filled it to capacity and no complaints about speed from me.

[url="http://www.adorama.com/IDSSDX38G.html"]http://www.adorama.com/IDSSDX38G.html[/url]

Those are the same cards we use in our DSLRs, and we have never had any issues with any of them.

[quote name='gwlee7' timestamp='1293379858' post='2859395']
I am thinking about getting an fh100. What would be the best type of memory card to purchase for it?
[/quote]

Thanks to the guys here I went and bought myself an Casio FH100 for Christmas. :tongue:

I bought a SDHC memory card that is rated up to 30MB/S for read and write, this was the fastest one I could find. It was not that much more expensive than the lower rated speed cards, and I have had no dropped frames yet.

[quote name='Trap Junior' timestamp='1293732570' post='2866187']
I just used my casio ex f1 for the first time. I havent got a memory card for it yet as I dont know which one would be best to get. Anyway i used the 300fps to record one swing. The shaft is blurred when i pause mid swing. How do I correct this?
[/quote]

You need a class 6 memory card, because it needs to write a lot of data in very little time

For less shaftblur, switch the dial to S and crank up the shutterspeed (it will need more light though)

For camera equipment, 3 of the more reputable and reliable ones are: adorama.com, bhphotovideo.com, and abes of maine. No matter what, check resellerratings before you make a purchase.
[/quote]

I would be wary of Abes of Maine. I used to buy a lot of camera equipment on line, Abe's was the only one I felt ripped off at.

I'm getting ready to buy the Casio Ex-FH100BK, but am hesitant as it only seems to put out [b].avi video format[/b], which is not the best format for clarity, a I correct on this?

Also - WTF with this "DNG RAW" format thing? Is this specific to Casio? Can I use Corel or other software to convert it to .mpg or other more desirable/usable formats? I'm very confused by all this.

I use the [b]Leadbetter Interactive [/b](made by V1??) software, I want to verify others are using this camera successfully with this software, before puchasing. Thanks guys, let me know if this is a good decision with the Leadbetter software.

PS: I'm still looking for some swing videos DTL or Face-on of some swings I can use with the Leadbetter software. (Tiger, Adam Scott, Heath slocum, Sean O-hair, etc.)

does anynone else have issues with the FH20 in terms of how much battery it sucks up???

It seems if I use the camera for 10 minutes on fresh batteries.. they are finished by the end of it. I can only use the batteries for one range session before its time to pop in new ones and I find that very frustrating and expensive.

[quote name='RJC59' timestamp='1293938194' post='2870196']
does anynone else have issues with the FH20 in terms of how much battery it sucks up???

It seems if I use the camera for 10 minutes on fresh batteries.. they are finished by the end of it. I can only use the batteries for one range session before its time to pop in new ones and I find that very frustrating and expensive.
[/quote]

It really is a shame they went the AA route...I'll buy the new FH25 in the Spring but that battery thing is a negative IMOP

[quote name='fats' timestamp='1293942457' post='2870287']

[/quote]

It really is a shame they went the AA route...I'll buy the new FH25 in the Spring but that battery thing is a negative IMOP
[/quote]

Rechargeable AAs are a good idea. One set in camera & one set on charger.

[quote name='Sam-Tee-Time' timestamp='1293924760' post='2869786']
I'm getting ready to buy the Casio Ex-FH100BK, but am hesitant as it only seems to put out [b].avi video format[/b], which is not the best format for clarity, a I correct on this?

Also - WTF with this "DNG RAW" format thing? Is this specific to Casio? Can I use Corel or other software to convert it to .mpg or other more desirable/usable formats? I'm very confused by all this.

I use the [b]Leadbetter Interactive [/b](made by V1??) software, I want to verify others are using this camera successfully with this software, before puchasing. Thanks guys, let me know if this is a good decision with the Leadbetter software.

PS: I'm still looking for some swing videos DTL or Face-on of some swings I can use with the Leadbetter software. (Tiger, Adam Scott, Heath slocum, Sean O-hair, etc.)
[/quote]

Leadbeater thingy works fine with AVI

I have been researching these cameras a lot but there are a few things I still don't quite understand. Regarding the FH100 and FC150, the primary differences seem to be the zoom lens and HDMI out. Are there any other major differences?

Also, regarding the lens differences, the FH100 has a wider setting so that you don't need to stand back as far to frame a swing right? Also, it seems to me that the wider lens should allow more light in for high speed video. Is this correct? Will this make a qualitative difference?

Is there anything that makes the FH25 much better than these other cameras?

Where is a good place to get a FC150 for a good price? They seem pretty hard to find?

I am not going to make my decision for a few days, the FH100 was announced at CES last year so I think its worth waiting a week or so to see if they update their high speed line for 2011.

Focal length has nothing to do with amount of light let in. It merely defines the width of the field of view. The shorter the focal length-like 14mm-the wider the angle of view. The longer-like 200- the smaller the field of view. That's why shorter focal lengths are called "wide-angle", and longer "telephoto".

The lens opening determines how much light is let in. A certain amount of light is required for proper exposure to get a picture whether on film or a digital sensor. Lens opening sizes are generally named by "f-stops". f-stops are expressed in a ratio of size of opening in relation to focal lenght. The lower the f-stop the more light is let in. Each common f-stop lets in twice the light of the next. 1.4 is twice as much as 2 which is twice as much as 2.8, which is twice as much as 4, etc. The more light that's let in by the lens size opening, the shorter can the shutter speed be. Since the next size f stop lets in half as much light as the previous one, the shutter needs to stay open twice as long. The 25 cost more mainly because it has a nicer lens. The lower the f-stop of a lens generally costs more than one starting at a higher f-stop and requires the lens to be physically larger.

That's just the tip of how exposures work. Sensitivity, whether speed of film or sensitivity of sensor-expressed in ISO numbers, also plays a part. There are tradeoffs for all of these things like the wider open the lens the shorter the depth of field that's in focus...................

[quote name='TKing' timestamp='1293991444' post='2870897']
Focal length has nothing to do with amount of light let in. It merely defines the width of the field of view. The shorter the focal length-like 14mm-the wider the angle of view. The longer-like 200- the smaller the field of view. That's why shorter focal lengths are called "wide-angle", and longer "telephoto".

The lens opening determines how much light is let in. A certain amount of light is required for proper exposure to get a picture whether on film or a digital sensor. Lens opening sizes are generally named by "f-stops". f-stops are expressed in a ratio of size of opening in relation to focal lenght. The lower the f-stop the more light is let in. Each common f-stop lets in twice the light of the next. 1.4 is twice as much as 2 which is twice as much as 2.8, which is twice as much as 4, etc. The more light that's let in by the lens size opening, the shorter can the shutter speed be. Since the next size f stop lets in half as much light as the previous one, the shutter needs to stay open twice as long. The 25 cost more mainly because it has a nicer lens. The lower the f-stop of a lens generally costs more than one starting at a higher f-stop and requires the lens to be physically larger.

That's just the tip of how exposures work. Sensitivity, whether speed of film or sensitivity of sensor-expressed in ISO numbers, also plays a part. There are tradeoffs for all of these things like the wider open the lens the shorter the depth of field that's in focus...................
[/quote]

Cool, what exactly does that all mean regarding the Casio cameras? Am I correct that you don't need to stand back as far to film a swing with the FH100 than the FC150? If so, is it going to be a difference of feet or inches? I'm just thinking about using this camera in a driving range bay or on a small tee box, I feel like the wider lens on the Fh100 might make a big difference. Is this correct?

I went and checked the specs on the lenses of those two cameras on the Casio website. The FH100 goes, in 35mm old school comparisons, from 24mm to 240 mm, and the FC100 from 37mm to 185 mm. The FH100 does go significantly wider in the 24 to 37 comparison. As I was talking about tradeoffs, the wider you go (shorter focal length) in a wide angle lens, the more angular distortion you get. If you fill the frame with the FH100 with the lens at its shortest focal length, you will get consideralbly more distortion. So yes, you can get closer, but it will make your belly look bigger and the club farther away at the top.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_distortion_(photography"]http://en.wikipedia....on_(photography[/url])

The lenses look like they are the same speed at the same focal lengths. With cheaper telescopic lenses like these, the f-stops get progressively smaller as the lens is telescoped out to longer lengths. The FC100 is f3.6 at 37mm, and the FH100 is f3.2 at 24 mm. I went with the FH100 because I needed the wider lens for other purposes, but never use it that wide for swings.

I didn't check the price differences on the cameras or other specs. These things are absolutely amazing to me though after being in photography for 43 years.

[/quote]

Yes, we all do. I have two sets of rechargeable batteries that I keep with it all the time. For me it's a must.

Casio just announced a new HS camera, the EX-ZR100:

[media]http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/assets/38356.jpg[/media]

It looks like an HR-100 but with a 12.1MP sensor, 12.5X zoom, and 1080p recording. Its releasing in March for $299.

[url="http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4607"]http://www.digitalca...asp?newsID=4607[/url]
[url="http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/casios-tryx-pocket-camera-takes-a-stand-literally-alongside-n/"]http://www.engadget....ly-alongside-n/[/url]

EDIT: Actually, I think it might not have 120fps and it seems that the resolution at 240fps is a little lower (432x320) so the FH100 is probably better.

http://www.casio.com/news/content/880C8AFB-F00E-40E2-BEA3-4E78E6ACC1AB/

Hey guys,

[/quote]

My FH100 has an unusual feature when shooting high speed video. When used in MANUAL mode and setting the aperture and shutter speed [b]but leaving the ISO on AUTO[/b] the camera produces very dark and often unusable videos. However, if the ISO is set manually to one of the higher values, 1600 or 3200, the camera produces bright videos on sunny and overcast days with very fast shutter speeds such as 1/8,000 second. I don't understand why my FH100 works that way.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/422606-casio-fh-100-problems/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...h-100-problems/[/url]

[url="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1015&thread=37098733"]http://forums.dprevi...thread=37098733[/url]

Can you set the ISO manually with the FH20? If so, set it to the highest level available, 1600 or 3200, and shoot a test video to see what the FH20 is capable of doing.

Chas Tennis

Must be something they left out in the software development. Good catch on setting the ISO. As all exposure factors are some sort of tradeoff, higher ISO progressively decrease the sharpness of a photo, but sometimes in order to simply get enough exposure to make a picture that you can see, you have to crank up the ISO if you are not letting in enough light with shutter speed or aperature.

Using the casio EX-F1 I find it a bit inconvenient when looking at a recently recorded swing on site at the range. Takes ages to forward to the part when your swing starts even using the fast forward button. I like to hit a shot on film then immediately look at it, and keep doing this process for maybe 10 shots. This camera is quite slow at viewing playback. Any ideas? Apart from that excellent camera for studying golf swings.

• 4 weeks later...

I did all this research at the end of last summer. The FH25 is what you're after. Best buttons to be able to rewind, pause, slow down swing as you're watching it on the monitor. the AA battery thing kinda sucks..but whatever. I got rechargable's and it's fine for what I do. I'll put it on 10 second delay, hit three shots at 200fps, stop it. Go look...make changes. It was invaluable for getting over my flip. Couldn't have done it without it. the FH100's the same camera more or less, but smaller...and with touch screen buttons on the monitor..which are a pain in the a** and get in the way of the swing you're looking at.

[quote name='stoic' timestamp='1296833736' post='2951007']
I did all this research at the end of last summer. The FH25 is what you're after. Best buttons to be able to rewind, pause, slow down swing as you're watching it on the monitor. the AA battery thing kinda sucks..but whatever. I got rechargable's and it's fine for what I do. I'll put it on 10 second delay, hit three shots at 200fps, stop it. Go look...make changes. It was invaluable for getting over my flip. Couldn't have done it without it. [b]the FH100's the same camera more or less, but smaller...and with touch screen buttons on the monitor..which are a pain in the a** and get in the way of the swing you're looking at.[/b]
[/quote]

My Ex FH100 does not have touch screen buttons. Everything is controlled by the ring control along side the screen. Press set button in ring center to stop video, right arrow to advance one frame back arrow to go back one frame. Works great. Which model has touch screen control?

Chas Tennis