2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Casio camera thread

[quote name='titleistman1' post='1845282' date='Jul 27 2009, 02:02 AM']Thanks. It's still a work in progress. As for the sun, how'd u know where it was? I couldn't have guessed from the video. So if I turn up the brightness compensation to +1 or +2, would the video have shown up?

I should add to my mini review that I really like the casio interface. Having worked with canon and Sony, this interface is much more friendly for golf editing and playback.[/quote]
That "brightness compensation" is just for the view finder.

The lightness/darkness is called "exposure". I haven't looked at your video, but if the background is very bright, the camera will average out the overall brightness of the video, thus making the subject darker. Look in the manual about "exposure". There might be a setting so that it takes the brigtness of the subject rather than the whole frame.

You CAN set the camera to manually adjust exposure, but then that takes you out of the mode to manually adjust shutter speed.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1842638' date='Jul 25 2009, 12:49 PM'][quote name='dap' post='1842197' date='Jul 25 2009, 03:09 AM']A question to Casio FC100 owners.

At 210/fps,does it require near perfect lighting to capture blur free shots of the shaft near impact?[/quote]
yes it does but at 400 it is much better as far as blur goes.[/quote]

FPS has nothing to do with shaft blur. That's controlled by shutter speed.

[quote name='larrybud' post='1845445' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:23 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1842638' date='Jul 25 2009, 12:49 PM'][quote name='dap' post='1842197' date='Jul 25 2009, 03:09 AM']A question to Casio FC100 owners.

At 210/fps,does it require near perfect lighting to capture blur free shots of the shaft near impact?[/quote]

[/quote]

No manual shutter on the FC100.

I think what iteach is trying to say is that at 400 frames per second the camera automatically adjusts to a faster shutter speed.With the same level of light at 210/fps the shutter speed would be slower so more shaft blur.

If this is the case,then it is possible to adjust shutter speed by changing the fps.However i think the resolution at 400fps is barely watchable.

Specs on the actual shutter speed for each FPS setting are hard to find, although I've not exactly looked too hard for them. At 210 FPS and a FO view, I get about 3" of blur at impact. That's good enough for a proper analysis, aside from seeing the actual face angle (which I can deduce from ballflight anyway).

10.5 (8.5) TM Sim2 w/ Smoke Blk 70 6.5  |||  16.5 HL Rogue ST LS w/ Smoke Blk 80 6.5

2i TM P790 w/ Smoke Blk HY 6.5  |||  4-PW Srixon ZX7 w/ S400

50.08 (SM9), 54.13 (TM MG3), 58.12 (SM9) w/ S400  |||  Byron Morgan 007

[quote name='dap' post='1845914' date='Jul 27 2009, 01:17 PM'][quote name='larrybud' post='1845445' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:23 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1842638' date='Jul 25 2009, 12:49 PM'][quote name='dap' post='1842197' date='Jul 25 2009, 03:09 AM']A question to Casio FC100 owners.

[/quote]

No manual shutter on the FC100.

I think what iteach is trying to say is that at 400 frames per second the camera automatically adjusts to a faster shutter speed.With the same level of light at 210/fps the shutter speed would be slower so more shaft blur.[/quote]
Fair enough, just want people to be aware that it's shutter speed that is the controlling the sharpness of the image in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, although it may have been covered, can you stream live to a laptop via firewire or USB with the fc-100 or others? I have done this with my old canon mini dv but am unsure if this is possible

Driver: M1 2016
Fairway: Jet Speed Tour
Hybrid: Adams Tour Proto 19˚
DI: Mizuno FliHi 18º
Irons: 714 AP2 4-PW
Wedges: Callaway Tour Grind 52˚ & 58˚
Putter: Spider CS Original

[quote name='Roland ' post='1874066' date='Aug 9 2009, 02:52 AM']Quick question, although it may have been covered, can you stream live to a laptop via firewire or USB with the fc-100 or others? I have done this with my old canon mini dv but am unsure if this is possible[/quote]

No, with the FC100.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='jrose' post='1912918' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:11 AM']For those of you that have the FC100 or FH20 do they make good all around camcorders? For birthdays or family events?[/quote]

I don't have much experience of with which to compare with other camcorders, but I've recorded in the HD mode (FH-20) and the picture was excellent so I would say - yes, definately

• 2 weeks later...

How is the 20X zoom with the FH20??
Any other comments good or bad regarding its recording and picture taking abilities?
Went to a camera store to see if there was another like it on the market. It seems that Even the higher end camera companies do not have the recording qualities that these cameras have.

I've had this camera for a few months now and love it.

I have one pretty huge tip if you're doing a lot of outdoor/backlit shooting. You need to switch to spot metering. Default is evaluative metering which is fine for still shots and when you are shooting with the "sun over shoulder". But when you have backlit shots or low light shots, you need to meter for your subject or else you will loose significant detail to shadows. I'm pretty sure the camera will automatically bump the ISO so you may end up with a little more grain and of course a more blown out background, but you will see the detail of your body position much more clearly... and you don't need a strobelight to capture detail.

Other than that the myTPI stuff about being limited by not being able to control shutterspeed is complete rubish. The depth of field is plenty large enough to get in-focus detail throughout the golf shot.

The one thing I wish it had was a remote control.

This camera is way too cheap not to have if you are serious about wanting to improve your golf swing. Way more valuable than a new club or something.

[quote name='Smack Daddy' post='1945898' date='Sep 11 2009, 08:23 PM']I want to say a special thanks to everyone for this thread, big kudos to Larrybud.

My FH20 arrived today and I'm pumped to get going with it tomorrow.

Not a techie so I'm hoping for a nice easy learning curve when I fire it up on Saturday.

Thanks again all. :clapping:[/quote]

I saw them for $ 550.00 plus tax at Henry's which is Canadian. Hopefully you did just as well if not better.

If anyone has seen them cheaper in Canada, give me a shout.

[url="http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ItemsDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&departmentId=10404&categoryId=10429&itemID=246986"]http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...p;itemID=246986[/url]

[quote name='Body_Visions' post='1949854' date='Sep 14 2009, 01:18 PM']I am going to pull the trigger this week. Is the FC still my best option. I know there is another good Casio out there. I can't remember the name, but DFW has one.

Thanks![/quote]

my best guess is the fc is better/cheaper way to go if you only plan to use it on the golf course. its looks like its just easier to handle
if your looking for more features then the fh may be better.
maybe someone else can chime in with their experience

[quote name='ballshagger' post='1950110' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:32 PM']Amazon has the fh20 for 449.00
picked up the 16 gb extreme performance card as suggested in a previous thread
gotta figure that a card w a lot of storage is needed
especially using the hs video/ and 40frames per second feature.[/quote]
bought the FH20 to go with my FC100 for $369 from Amazon today

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1950115' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:35 PM'][quote name='ballshagger' post='1950110' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:32 PM']Amazon has the fh20 for 449.00
[/quote]

That's kicka$$ pricing !!

May have to shuffle on down to Buffalo and work some "border magic" again !

[quote name='Kerry_Bunker' post='1950133' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:37 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1950115' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:35 PM'][quote name='ballshagger' post='1950110' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:32 PM']Amazon has the fh20 for 449.00
[/quote]

[/quote]
Should be easy, just say you are a tourist who wanted to take pictures. Much easier than the irons haha.

iteach, I'm curious to hear if after using both if you feel like the FH is worth the extra $$ over the FC. Other than the wider angle (which is a pretty big deal) I'm not seeing much of difference for golf applications.

If you're filming indoor, most people would do well to invest in some shop lights or something. You'll get much crisper footage that way.

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1950146' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:41 PM'][quote name='Kerry_Bunker' post='1950133' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:37 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1950115' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:35 PM'][quote name='ballshagger' post='1950110' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:32 PM']Amazon has the fh20 for 449.00
[/quote]

[/quote]
Should be easy, just say you are a tourist who wanted to take pictures. Much easier than the irons haha.
[/quote]

You got me on the irons. :busted2:

We [i][b]are[/b][/i] talking Buffalo so my excuse would be to take pictures of house-fires, crack-ho's, abandoned buildings and guys sporting mullets wearing gold chains and wife-beaters. That'll fly...Good idea !

[quote name='Investorguy' post='1950176' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:52 PM']iteach, I'm curious to hear if after using both if you feel like the FH is worth the extra $$ over the FC. Other than the wider angle (which is a pretty big deal) I'm not seeing much of difference for golf applications.

If you're filming indoor, most people would do well to invest in some shop lights or something. You'll get much crisper footage that way.[/quote]
Adjustable shutter speed is the reason I'm getting the FH20

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1950211' date='Sep 14 2009, 04:03 PM'][quote name='Investorguy' post='1950176' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:52 PM']iteach, I'm curious to hear if after using both if you feel like the FH is worth the extra $$ over the FC. Other than the wider angle (which is a pretty big deal) I'm not seeing much of difference for golf applications.

If you're filming indoor, most people would do well to invest in some shop lights or something. You'll get much crisper footage that way.[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah, for those 11 out of 365 overcast days you get there in Orlando when you actually have to manually adjust your shutter speed ! Now you've got ALL the toys. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Kerry_Bunker' post='1950225' date='Sep 14 2009, 04:09 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1950211' date='Sep 14 2009, 04:03 PM'][quote name='Investorguy' post='1950176' date='Sep 14 2009, 03:52 PM']iteach, I'm curious to hear if after using both if you feel like the FH is worth the extra $$ over the FC. Other than the wider angle (which is a pretty big deal) I'm not seeing much of difference for golf applications.

[/quote]

Yeah, for those 11 out of 365 overcast days you get there in Orlando when you actually have to manually adjust your shutter speed ! Now you've got ALL the toys. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
haha the LCD is busted on the FC100. Toys are fun to have.