2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Idiot playing partners with range finders.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I was pretty shocked when I used a rangefinder for the first time. On one hole I was about 15 yards to the left of the 150 marker and the pin was back right. I figured add about 10 yards for the angle and 10 yards for a back pin giving me about 170. Measured with my rangefinder I was 191!!! A 150 plate in the middle of the fairway is nothing like a bush/stake on the side of the fairway as far as givin you an accurate distance. I have to admit it has helped my game tremendously AND it has certainly helped me play faster.

... I also think some of you are missing the point about distances for the average golfer. While most may not hit their 7 iron right at 154yds, they probably have a pretty good range of say 145-160. When they really pure one it goes the 160 but more often than not their slight misses are in the 145-150 range, with their decent shots around 150 to 155. So knowing it is 150 to the front of the green guarded by a bunker and the pin is 156, they can hit a 6iron to be sure and take the trouble out of play.

... Interestingly, golf is the only sport we play without known distances. We know how far the fences are in baseball, how far for a 1st down in football and with free throw, top of the key and hash marks basketball is also measured. A GPS or rangefinder simply gives us the dimensions needed to play the game. While I certainly understand purists that are talking about a different game played on a fast hard seaside imperfect surface that make exact yardages less neccesary, the tricked up courses designed today need exact yardages, especially if you are playing one for the first time.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

They should be banned. If you can't pace it or eye ball your yardage your not a golfer. Like a 10 handicaper really needs to know the exact yardage. Come on.

Ok, please go play a nice cheap public course with only the 150 marked. Then step up to a shot right on the marker with the pin located middle of the green and pure your 150 club, only to see it fly the green. Then let me know if you like the rangefinder idea.

Not everyone has the benefit of a yardage book or accurate course markings. I have had my range finder for 2 years and it still makes me laugh when I'm hitting 155 yards into a par 3 that is marked as 178. There are time I will walk into the woods behind the tee box and distance off to the back of the green and the number is still longer on the scorecard. You have to remember too some courses inflate their scorecard yardages to make a chip and putt 6200 course look like a 6800.

They should be banned. If you can't pace it or eye ball your yardage your not a golfer. Like a 10 handicaper really needs to know the exact yardage. Come on.

Ok, please go play a nice cheap public course with only the 150 marked. Then step up to a shot right on the marker with the pin located middle of the green and pure your 150 club, only to see it fly the green. Then let me know if you like the rangefinder idea.

Not everyone has the benefit of a yardage book or accurate course markings. I have had my range finder for 2 years and it still makes me laugh when I'm hitting 155 yards into a par 3 that is marked as 178. There are time I will walk into the woods behind the tee box and distance off to the back of the green and the number is still longer on the scorecard. You have to remember too some courses inflate their scorecard yardages to make a chip and putt 6200 course look like a 6800.

Agree 100%

This is pretty opposite of my experience. I own a Skycaddie and I keep to myself, even with playing regulars... unfortunately I find I'm constantly harassed for yardages... I can't stand it. It makes me want to stop using it just for the pure fact I get sick of walking to everyone's ball for those inbetween yardages.

Give him time... although I never did what your friend is doing, I'm betting he'll lose his enthusiasm on it pretty quickly.

I play on a course with stakes on the out skirts of the rough. The course is cut out from the woods,so there fairways and then tree on both sides. People miss fairways a lot there and then end up right near the 100,150, or 200 stakes, and pull them out of the ground and never replace them. So you never know how far you are anyways.

And yes I am a 10 handicap w/ a $100 skycaddie 2.5. And yes its very helpful, and yes it helps us hackers. Even though I am a 10 handicap I know my distances w/ irons so the skycaddie helps me pick the right club. I shot 77 yesterday because on a few times inside 100 yards I knew how much room there was between the front of the green and flag. It is very useful to this 10 handicap hacker.

I hate when people on here think there better than someone, or that some piece of equipment, or technology should only be used by scratch players. Seriously get over yourself! :russian_roulette:

Sorry rant over

+1

I'm an 11.1 index at the moment, and I have both a GPS and a laser. I use one or the other depending on circumstances. I may not hit every iron perfectly every time, but I play better knowing that I at least have the correct club in my hands.

Good God!

Didn't expect that my little contribution would receive so much negativity.

I simply don't like range finders and believe that steeping out a yardage from a marker and selecting the club for this yardage and compensating for any weather conditions is one of the skills of golf.

And while on the subject I don't believe tour pros should be given yardages by the caddy either, they should play the game like the rest of us..... now there is a subject for a new thread and a few rants!!!

You really don't have a clue do you? That's been the caddie's job since the position was invented. They've been expected to give yardages and suggest club and shot type for 200 years. Where have you been???

And what makes you think that just because I use a rangefinder for my yardage that I don't consider the weather, elevation, etc before I make a club selection? I just do it a lot faster than you do searching for a marker then pacing (steeping???) off from there. And I suppose you never miss a fairway by more than a couple of yards? I do, and when I'm off in the prairie someplace those markers in the fairway are quite useless to me.

End of my Rant... :russian_roulette:

I have one and only provide yardages if asked, then its to the center. Here's your yardage, you figure out the rest.

What I would do is humiliate him. 165, you need a 6? Im hitting a 7. If he hits short point out his toy is wrong and he should have hit another club.

Part 2, annoy the hell out of him. While hes getting ready to hit start badgering him about distance, club, does it show bunkers, etc.

Get it to the point he doesnt want anyone to know he has it.

As for those who hate them, I'd say it helps 99% of the people because they dont spend 5 minutes looking for a sprinkler head.

I personally don't condone the use of GPS or range finder, guessing the yardage should be part of the challenge of the game and max is to use a birdie book but that is it.

But then on the flip side of things.... I try to play different courses in Holland and in Germany and at times, the size of the flag, color, etc., can be deceiving to gauge distance as it skews perception. One course I seldom play at in Germany uses green colored flags and it blends in nicely with the trees in the background.... go figure... and I remember times when I would be standing a few meters off the 150 marker and it looks like 200! We also have courses where there is no marker on the pole to tell flag position in relation to front to back of green so I guess I am going to get a range finder and see if it helps... I'll probably use it when I play alone so it will not help my hcp because if I pull it out with my Scottish playing partners.... they'll probably laugh me off the course or toss the thing into the drink....

Comments like what I put in bold I just don't understand. Why is a yardage book ok but a rangefinder not? Both serve the same function. Why do you need more challenge? I find just hitting the ball well to be all the challenge I need, and having correct information just eliminates a little bit of indecision, which in turn lets me focus more on the swing than on the shot.

I played most of my life (I'm 62 now) using on course markings, a good eye for distance, and prayer. Now that the rules have permitted the use of other distance verifying devices, why not simply use them. I would imagine that you play with modern clubs, use a modern ball, so you aren't completely against technology. I find that most of the people I play with are more likely to ask to try out my laser, and they usually decide that it's a pretty handy gadget. The best thing you could do with your Scottish friends is to play using it and beat the pants off them.... They might not be so inclined to laugh. :rolleyes:

1) Rangefinders if used correctly do speed up play.

2) If the course is marked with front middle and back yardages and spread decently across the fairway it is not that bad (usually only nice courses do this though).

3) Pro's Caddies check out almost every distance to every trouble and not only to front middle and back but to every ridge. If you don't know the correct distances how will you ever figure out what you really hit your clubs. To me hitting on the driving range and in simulators aren't always a true tale to how far you are going to hit it during a round.

4) I play in Texas and even if you do know the exact distance there is still an art to figuring out elevation and wind, which goes back to number 3 that if you don't know the exact distance you don't know how much the wind affected your last shot.

5) Just because some people are dumb and can't use their gadgets properly shouldn't ruin it for everyone.

6) True it is a pain if only one person has a rangefinder. If i'm playing with someone who has one and i don't i only use it when we hit close to each other or on the tee box.

Why make the game harder than it is? No matter what level you play at it, it's no fun if you catch a shot flush hit it the yardage you expect and miss the green because the marker you were going off of was wrong.

These stupid things should be banned.

One of the skills of golf is judging the distance/club and nothing is better than deciding you are 165 out and stiching a 7 iron or whatever club you choose.

+1

This is just another reminder that you PURIST think your'e better than others because you dont use a particular piece of current technology to be blunt you all are just legends in your mind and just another little tidbit , the last time i checked these are USGA legal are they not ?? your going to have a really hard time making me understand what your problem is about these as as they are just as legal as using 14 clubs ect.....

The thing I find most amazing about this thread is that those few people who "don't condone use of gps or rangefinders" - like we are asking your permission? - anyway, what I find most amazing is that these people actually possess and can use a computer.......I mean, gee, I just can't condone that, I believe that communications were meant to be on pencil and paper. Hey, while we're at it, I don't condone use of a car by anyone either, what is wrong with a horse or your own two legs? Now, don't even get me started on these newfangled titanium faces, adjustable drivers, sharp groove wedges, 3-piece balls - I just don't condone those things, how can that be golf? It's ruining the game, I tell you...

Hi there,

I use a GPS unit and on the first tee box I offer the use of yardages to my playing partners wether I am in a match or not, yardages are public knowlege. Some partners wish to have thier yardages and some do not, but the offer is made in good faith. If they decline I do not push it on them if they accept the offer great. I walk and carry and enjoy the camaraderie of this gentlemans game. The use of a gps /laser unit is a huge aid in speeding up the game.

Just my thoughts on this....

Have a great day eh!

Turbs.

A GPS unit definitely speeds up my play and helps me get the right yardages. Most people I play with appreciate the benefits of the GPS and would love to own one. I have a foursome that range from a +2.6 to a -16 handicap, and we all benefit from my SG5 and my buddy's Bushnell. We all shoot higher rounds when I forget to bring it. We get similar info and play 7000+ courses in under 4 hrs. Unless of course, we are stuck behind the traditionalists who walk off yardages and plumb bob putts!!!

Side note to the "wannabe pros": neither of these work, it's mostly in your head. The next slow playing PGA pro (i.e. Kenny Perry, JB Holmes) you see doing it and want to imitate, DON'T. Learn how to truly read greens and slopes through some of the well written books on the subject.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 18GF, 8GB 45"

(testing) Diamana PD 60TX (D5) 16GF, 5GB 45.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Callaway Tour X

One of regular gang has bought a range finder. What a pain in the neck this is. On every tee he is trying to argue the scorecard and tee markers are wrong, telling you what to hit and being a real nuisance. We have asked him to stop yelling "it's 150, you'll need a six iron", explaining the rules on giving advice etc, but his guy is treating his new toy like a first born son. Aprt from telling him to FOAD how do you deal with such a thing? He is 59 BTW, not some young gadget junkie.

Tell him "Thanks- we hear you. BTW - we know you are married - and [wife's name] is a great gal for you. But none of us would have married her."

This is pretty opposite of my experience. I own a Skycaddie and I keep to myself, even with playing regulars... unfortunately I find I'm constantly harassed for yardages... I can't stand it. It makes me want to stop using it just for the pure fact I get sick of walking to everyone's ball for those inbetween yardages.

Give him time... although I never did what your friend is doing, I'm betting he'll lose his enthusiasm on it pretty quickly.

I just say "it's 150 to the back from where my ball is", and that takes care of walking.

I never had a steady hand for range finder so used it once but never liked it.

OP: I would just start asking questions to that partner of yours.

What's the distance to that tree? that tree? that tree? what about that one?

And some that can't be answered by range finder. What's to the front, bunker, water, etc.

Eventually he gets tired of all your stupid questions that he'll stop. :D

Almost all set for 2021

Hi there,

I use a GPS unit and on the first tee box I offer the use of yardages to my playing partners wether I am in a match or not, yardages are public knowlege.

I do the same.

"If you guys want the yardage, just let me know."

For the most part people have their own device or way of figuring the distance. But sometimes it saves time to have just one person measure at a par-3 or something where everyone has the same shot.

Range finders are great! They help speed up play...

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner. Those of you saying they should be banned cannot be serious?? I am a 2 handicap and I have and SG5 and I cannot tell you how many times I have stood on a par 3 and said man that looks at least another 10-15 yards farther than what its reading. High or low handicap, it helps speed up play. If you play the same course over and over..yes...you should know from points of reference. I know several highschool coaches that are wanting the IHSAA to allow them just to speed up play alone.

The thing I find most amazing about this thread is that those few people who "don't condone use of gps or rangefinders" - like we are asking your permission? - anyway, what I find most amazing is that these people actually possess and can use a computer.......I mean, gee, I just can't condone that, I believe that communications were meant to be on pencil and paper. Hey, while we're at it, I don't condone use of a car by anyone either, what is wrong with a horse or your own two legs? Now, don't even get me started on these newfangled titanium faces, adjustable drivers, sharp groove wedges, 3-piece balls - I just don't condone those things, how can that be golf? It's ruining the game, I tell you...

Gee AtlantaGolfer, didn't know you were so sensitive. Okay, my apologies for using an inappropriate word. How about... I find it hard to accept or I find it hard to agree to.... feel better?

Actually, you never have to ask for my permission but I think it would be curtsey if you asked your playing partners if you can use a GPS or range finder if no one else in the group is using one.

Per my earlier posts, after reading this thread, I will probably go out and get one to use when I play alone but when I play with others in a flight, for sure it will be left at home.

Why not use it when you need to play your best in a flight? While you're at it leave the G10 at home that new equipment ruins the game. Asking permission to a playing partner to use one would be like saying, oh you have a driver from 2009? You can't use that, ours are from 2007. Come on people everything in golf that is legal and makes the game easier is available for everyone, why handicap yourself.

I know most of your are dying to know Johnny Miller's feelings about GPS Rangefinders, so here's Johnny !

He recently stated, that once a player gets a distance device toy, all he thinks about it is:

1. What club he'd use if he flat out pured the shot, which is usually one club too lofted & He'll end up short.

2. Misses the elevation change effect, or winds effect & be too focused on distance.

3. How are you hiit'em today ? Are you a lil short with your clubs, cold out ?

Jonny says the closer your into the pin, inside 125 yrds, ditch the device and look at the over all conditons and imagine what shot, which club, makes sense. He says- Use your daily instincts.. which I agree.

At 4,300 elevation, with big winds everyday, the devices arent as big of a deal to me.

Gee AtlantaGolfer, didn't know you were so sensitive. Okay, my apologies for using an inappropriate word. How about... I find it hard to accept or I find it hard to agree to.... feel better?

Actually, you never have to ask for my permission but I think it would be curtsey if you asked your playing partners if you can use a GPS or range finder if no one else in the group is using one.

Per my earlier posts, after reading this thread, I will probably go out and get one to use when I play alone but when I play with others in a flight, for sure it will be left at home.

The bolded portion must be the dumbest thing that I have ever heard. Why would I need to ask anyone's permission to use something that the USGA allows in their tournaments. Should I ask permission to use an R9 driver that takes my over the top swing and straightens it out to a power draw? Unless you are a real purist playing with blades and persimmon woods you can't complain about any legal technology.

I take that back you can complain, you will just sound like an idiot.

Back to courtesey, how is playing more efficient/faster golf a problem for anyone. Esspecially if you are offering your yardage assistance to the others in the group?

I know most of your are dying to know Johnny Miller's feelings about GPS Rangefinders, so here's Johnny !

He recently stated, that once a player gets a distance device toy, all he thinks about it is:

1. What club he'd use if he flat out pured the shot, which is usually one club too lofted & He'll end up short.

2. Misses the elevation change effect, or winds effect & be too focused on distance.

3. How are you hiit'em today ? Are you a lil short with your clubs, cold out ?

Jonny says the closer your into the pin, inside 125 yrds, ditch the device and look at the over all conditons and imagine what shot, which club, makes sense. He says- Use your daily instincts.. which I agree.

At 4,300 elevation, with big winds everyday, the devices arent as big of a deal to me.

As much as I like Johnny Miller as a golf analyst, this is hogwash. Just because one uses a rangefinder to figure distances doesn't mean that all other considerations get ignored. I still plan out the shot the same as I always have. I've been using a laser for 2 years now and I'm much more consistently accurate on my distances than I ever was before I got it.

I still have a bad sense of direction, but the rangefinder won't help me there. Maybe I need a compass too? :rolleyes:

The bolded portion must be the dumbest thing that I have ever heard. Why would I need to ask anyone's permission to use something that the USGA allows in their tournaments. Should I ask permission to use an R9 driver that takes my over the top swing and straightens it out to a power draw? Unless you are a real purist playing with blades and persimmon woods you can't complain about any legal technology.

I take that back you can complain, you will just sound like an idiot.

Back to courtesey, how is playing more efficient/faster golf a problem for anyone. Esspecially if you are offering your yardage assistance to the others in the group?

I've been feeling kind of guilty lately because I have graduated to 3 piece urethane cover balls while most of the people I'm playing with and against can't afford them. I think from now on I will just pull out the el cheapos so that we are all on the same playing field. The other thing I'm feeling bad about is I have a really nice ZR goretex rainsuit, and when we had some bad weather here early spring, we were in an all day tournament and I felt sorry for a couple of guys who were soaking wet. From now on, I will leave my rainsuit in the car unless everyone in my group has one. I mean, come on, fair is fair and I really don't want to take advantage, especially if it is an important tournament and we are playing for money or anything.

All that said, I typically will provide yardages if asked to competitors. More and more often, at least half the people I play with have either a gps or rangefinder anyway.

I'm nowhere near Johnny's level, but IMHO

If you're thinking about the yardage you hit a pured club you're already a goner

maybe if you dial in your clubs to the 1/2 yard like Mr Miller, but I know there's no way my 7 iron ALWAYS goes 150. Which is where a rangefinder helps IMMENSELY. If I know I'm 150 out from the center I'm going to probably grab my 7 iron and fire away with a full swing.

However if I know the pin is at 155, the back of the green is 164, and I need to hit it 130 to get it on the green, I might think about either a soft 6, a hard 8, or perhaps a lower trajectory 7 without a ton of spin on it.

The same thing goes for if the pin is 129 and the back of the green is 135, now I KNOW that the longest thing I'm considering hitting is probably a pitching wedge(which for me is 45* making it a 9 iron :russian_roulette: ) because there's no point in hitting anything longer.

without a rangefinder/gps I'd either need a pin sheet(good luck at the courses I'm playing) or I'm pacing off the yardage to the back of the green from 150 yards out.(doesn't that sound wonderfully fun)

I use a Bushnell 1500 pinseeker with slope and I find it to regularly be diff than the scorecard yardage or the fairway/sprinkler yardage on various courses.

Many times the grounds crew will take these stakes out to cut the grass and put them back in a diff position as well having tha slope feature on uphill and downhill shots gives you a great idea of what club to hit. nothing worse than hitting a pure shot only to fly the green or come up short just because your "guess" wasn't accurate. As for telling people the yardage I dont have a problem doing it as long as it speeds up play. 1 thing I will not do is tell a person what club to hit, I figure the yardage is enough.

These stupid things should be banned.

One of the skills of golf is judging the distance/club and nothing is better than deciding you are 165 out and stiching a 7 iron or whatever club you choose.

First of all, yes I'm old!

Years ago we seldom had yardage markers. We knew the hickory tree on the right was 157, how did we know? We previously walked it off. Then came the 150 markers and so on ........

Now we have electronic GPS devices that are dead pan accurate, but one skill set for the game has been removed. They ability to determine yardage for yourself and then hit the shot that yardage.

Also I've become concerned with caddies. I guess I've never been a caddy fan, but that's another subject. I would keep them off the greens other than removing the flagstick. To me it supposed to be your efforts that determine the break, etc. Don't you just love it when Bone's is lining up his, oh I mean Phil's putt.

My last gripe is cell phones.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star