Starter/ranger refused to let our tournament tee off from the tips

despite contract/agreement
24 of my buddies and buddy's friends had a 36 hole tournament planned for the last 7 weeks at a local course. It happens to be my home course and most were visiting for the first time.

It was a 2 man scramble planned from the tips. Many of the players shoot par by themselves and only a few shot in the 90's.

The kid the got it all together, who happens to be 17, had everything arranged with the clubhouse.

To make a long story short, as my 4 some pulled up to the tee box, as the last group, we were told that we were no longer playing from the tips but the blues. Not a big deal, but it was definitely a let down for most of the people there. I thought that maybe a few of the higher shooters had complained and ruined it for everyone or something(the guys who got it together maybe giving in to the whiners or something...).

Today, 3 days later, I find out that the starter/ranger refused to let us tee off from the tips. Now I am pretty livid about this. Not only did he do this I find out, but he harassed many players through the day insisting that they were backing everyone else up. When what really took place is that they gave ZERO time between tee times. They overbooked and wanted everyone to rush through our 36 holes. At one point in the first 18 holes I gave him a small piece of my mind and made it clear he needed to leave us alone and let us enjoy our golf we paid a lot of money to enjoy. He didn't approach us again. Although, he did keep on others.

This pisses me off pretty bad. This a** broke the agreement that was made and acted like he has the ultimate authority. I am tempted to approach the GM and tell him how disappointed I am in how we were not allowed to tee where we wanted and he bothered us unnecessarily through many holes to try to make up for their booking mistake.

Am I making too big a deal or should I approach the GM about it?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This a** broke the agreement that was made and acted like he has the ultimate authority. I am tempted to approach the GM and tell him how disappointed I am in how we were not allowed to tee where we wanted and he bothered us unnecessarily through many holes to try to make up for their booking mistake.

I would absolutely talk to the GM. They need to know about the situation. I swear some of these starters and/or marshals are wanna be cops who have to act out their power trip fantasies on the golf course.

Absolutely talk to the GM. You paid for a service that both parties agreed to and which an employee unilaterally renege on.

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

Sounds to me like the first few groups of your tournament swung like chops so the starter tried to stop the bleeding.

24 of my buddies and buddy's friends had a 36 hole tournament planned for the last 7 weeks at a local course. It happens to be my home course and most were visiting for the first time.

It was a 2 man scramble planned from the tips. Many of the players shoot par by themselves and only a few shot in the 90's.

The kid the got it all together, who happens to be 17, had everything arranged with the clubhouse.

To make a long story short, as my 4 some pulled up to the tee box, as the last group, we were told that we were no longer playing from the tips but the blues. Not a big deal, but it was definitely a let down for most of the people there. I thought that maybe a few of the higher shooters had complained and ruined it for everyone or something(the guys who got it together maybe giving in to the whiners or something...).

Today, 3 days later, I find out that the starter/ranger refused to let us tee off from the tips. Now I am pretty livid about this. Not only did he do this I find out, but he harassed many players through the day insisting that they were backing everyone else up. When what really took place is that they gave ZERO time between tee times. They overbooked and wanted everyone to rush through our 36 holes. At one point in the first 18 holes I gave him a small piece of my mind and made it clear he needed to leave us alone and let us enjoy our golf we paid a lot of money to enjoy. He didn't approach us again. Although, he did keep on others.

This pisses me off pretty bad. This a** broke the agreement that was made and acted like he has the ultimate authority. I am tempted to approach the GM and tell him how disappointed I am in how we were not allowed to tee where we wanted and he bothered us unnecessarily through many holes to try to make up for their booking mistake.

Sounds to me like the first few groups of your tournament swung like chops so the starter tried to stop the bleeding.

I played by myself a couple of weeks ago and i always play from the blacks. Well as I do most of the time on my first shot I hit it fat and just made the fairway about a 100yds out. There was about 4 grounds crew guys working and the ranger right next to my ball. I get to my ball and the ranger says to me that they also have Blue and white tee's. I just gave him a look and pulled out my 3 iron and put it about 15 feet from the hole from about 225 out! He didn't say a word after that. LOL

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

What indicates that anyone swung like chops off the tee? :rolleyes:

I'll be perfectly honest...just reading that irritates me so badly, that if this guy doesn't actually NEED that job (and the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE majority of them don't...just do it for the free golf or something to do), they fire him for that. I don't think how many people realize that they are in a customer service position. That is ABSOLUTELY what a starter/marshall is...a customer service rep. He's there to make sure that EVERYONE on the course has as an enjoyable day as they can. Speed up slow groups in a polite manner, help faster groups play through, heck, just be a SMILING FACE for someone to remember. This obviously annoys me. You really should say something...if you don't, you're just asking to be treated that way again next time you're out there. I'm gonna climb off this soapbox now.

You absolutely should raise hell. If it is an American Golf club or part of a larger company I would send them an email and copy those idiots at the course. No way I would stand for that at all.

In my experience, most American Golf Club Corp courses are some of the most poorly managed. I can't imagine they'd care much.

I'll be perfectly honest...just reading that irritates me so badly, that if this guy doesn't actually NEED that job (and the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE majority of them don't...just do it for the free golf or something to do), they fire him for that. I don't think how many people realize that they are in a customer service position. That is ABSOLUTELY what a starter/marshall is...a customer service rep. He's there to make sure that EVERYONE on the course has as an enjoyable day as they can. Speed up slow groups in a polite manner, help faster groups play through, heck, just be a SMILING FACE for someone to remember. This obviously annoys me. You really should say something...if you don't, you're just asking to be treated that way again next time you're out there. I'm gonna climb off this soapbox now.

+1

I have no idea why starters/rangers do this. It has happened to me a few times on the first tee. I understand they want to keep play moving along, but I don't really need some old man who's trying to score some free golf telling me when and where to play.

That's probably true, but I'd bet you're the exception to the rule. For everyone of you, there are probably 15 people who have no business playing that far back, regardless of their length.

It's been said before, but if you can't consistently break 80 from any set of tees, you have no business playing anything longer than 6800. Sorry!

it depends on the course...

many courses have "the tips" just about 10 yards behind the blues on the same turf section, it's the exact same course

if "the tips" are entirely different teeboxes and much longer than the blues it's more of a big deal

bottom line though, the tournament is over, you either had fun playing or you didn't.... no reason to dwell on something that's already done and finished, if you didn't have fun out there, I really doubt it was because you played the blues instead of the tips

the fact that you didn't find out till 3 days after the tourney that you weren't allowed to play from the tips tells me that it wasn't a very big deal to you that morning... if you cared that much you should have found out on the first tee, when your group teed off from the "wrong" tees

it depends on the course...

many courses have "the tips" just about 10 yards behind the blues on the same turf section, it's the exact same course

if "the tips" are entirely different teeboxes and much longer than the blues it's more of a big deal

bottom line though, the tournament is over, you either had fun playing or you didn't.... no reason to dwell on something that's already done and finished, if you didn't have fun out there, I really doubt it was because you played the blues instead of the tips

the fact that you didn't find out till 3 days after the tourney that you weren't allowed to play from the tips tells me that it wasn't a very big deal to you that morning... if you cared that much you should have found out on the first tee, when your group teed off from the "wrong" tees

Ya, that or I don't get upset till I am aware of shennanigans going on. :rolleyes:

off the topic

i was GONNA play 18 with my friends (2 flights)...we pay and waited at the tee box. when we get there, there some hacks in front somewhere near the fairway...no probs, so we waited. first flight takes off, when fairway was clear, i tee up my ball...then the starter tells me i cant play with the t shirt i had on, la coste knit, but buttons all the way from top to bottom...i dont mind changing but the fact that i was there on the tee box for abt 20 mins in front of the starter and she failed to mentioned this...i was even having a conversation with her...

i was fuming, went back to registration and asked for my money back...they offered another tee time at a later date instead...i sd "i paid cash and i wanted cash back"

got my money and later heard starter was fired...but she was a tyrant anyway. starter/marshal power hungry...i'm gonna kick you of the course type.

just my rant

off the topic

i was GONNA play 18 with my friends (2 flights)...we pay and waited at the tee box. when we get there, there some hacks in front somewhere near the fairway...no probs, so we waited. first flight takes off, when fairway was clear, i tee up my ball...then the starter tells me i cant play with the t shirt i had on, la coste knit, but buttons all the way from top to bottom...i dont mind changing but the fact that i was there on the tee box for abt 20 mins in front of the starter and she failed to mentioned this...i was even having a conversation with her...

i was fuming, went back to registration and asked for my money back...they offered another tee time at a later date instead...i sd "i paid cash and i wanted cash back"

got my money and later heard starter was fired...but she was a tyrant anyway. starter/marshal power hungry...i'm gonna kick you of the course type.

just my rant

Marshals to some extent are overhead. Not profit.

all you guys that constantly bag on starters/marshalls will all be jonesing for that job when you retire. :russian_roulette:

When I retire?! I'm 28 and would love it...you know, except for the really low pay. Anyway, my point was just going to be that I am sure your statement is true. You failed to address, however, the likelihood of all of us turning into 70 year old bullies who have overinflated views of their own importance at such an establishment. It is STILL just a customer service position. :)