What to do?

wow...ask for advice and you shall receive...

I have no disrepect for these guys...and don't mind playing a round or two with them every so often...

However, I'm 23 years old and I understand the importance of real life and work and would never jeopordize my job/future...

I was more or less asking for advice...not really saying that my "6" as you like to call it is going to fluctuate. And yes my handicap is a 6...actually a 6.1 if you're asking...and this was not a way to show off that I'm a decent golfer...just a way to show the different range of golfers that these guys are...

For the guy who said welcome to the world of work...

I'm starting to realize that it's definitely not the college life!!!!!

Please accept these poignant words of wisdom…

Do you think because these guys are obnoxious they'd never discover and read this board, moreover connect the dots … you're a trader of sorts, 23, 6 index and their 3 hack bosses that invite an underling to play with them from their office.

You say you'd never jeopordize your job/future. Let me ask this... what do you think they would do if they read your posts.

Pepper...I agree with your first and last posts and think they are both good perspectives to have. The second post I'm not so sure about. I'm hoping you make allowances for someone that is unable to play with you when invited. If someone had a family vacation planned and you asked them to go play golf and they declined, that seems a reasonable reason to skip the outing, provided they convey their gratitude for the invitation.

as to the OP's question, I do have to echo the other posts advice. Its business. Its work. Don't look at it as golf, look at it as work on the golf course. Better than most work, but still work. It doesn't sound like they're bad guys by the things you've said, just uneducated as to the ettiquite of the game. Some other people have mentioned cracking jokes and stuff to give a reason to mention the ettiquitte...i'm not sure thats a good idea. It depends on your relationship with your boss and how easily they get embarrassed. if they seem open to it, then you might want to, but I'd tread lightly there...remember, its work, not golf.

oh, just to add, just saw cowtowns post below too, thats some good advice. to be fair to you, it seems like you like your bosses and haven't said anything bad about them personally, just their golf habits, but you just wanna be careful. all the best man!

I would NEVER fire or negatively categorize someone for rejecting an invite of golf if they had prior commitments; we all have those; but, at a certain juncture I will notice and review the big picture.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to beat a dead horse, but with today's economy and the jobless rate where it is, I would love for my bosses to ask me to play golf with them on a weekly basis. I don't care if they are hacks or not.

1. This would go a long way for your job security

2. Great way to build a relationship for your future and networking

3. It's free golf at nice courses

4. Don't know if you are married, but it is a great excuse to golf for the wife because it's job related!

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

I say play. I am in a different situation sort of, my bosses ask me to play all the time-but- I stink and they are pretty good. Well, I don't stink, I play to a 15 and these guys are easily 5 to scratch. They make me feel a little self conscious about my game. I play anyways, I figure they wouldn't keep asking me if they didn't like having me around.

wow...ask for advice and you shall receive...

I have no disrepect for these guys...and don't mind playing a round or two with them every so often...

However, I'm 23 years old and I understand the importance of real life and work and would never jeopordize my job/future...

I was more or less asking for advice...not really saying that my "6" as you like to call it is going to fluctuate. And yes my handicap is a 6...actually a 6.1 if you're asking...and this was not a way to show off that I'm a decent golfer...just a way to show the different range of golfers that these guys are...

For the guy who said welcome to the world of work...

I'm starting to realize that it's definitely not the college life!!!!!

Please accept these poignant words of wisdom…

Do you think because these guys are obnoxious they'd never discover and read this board, moreover connect the dots … you're a trader of sorts, 23, 6 index and their 3 hack bosses that invite an underling to play with them from their office.

You say you'd never jeopordize your job/future. Let me ask this... what do you think they would do if they read your posts.

Those aren't poignant words of wisdom, you're jumping all over this kid for no good reason. He never said these bosses were obnoxious or anything similar.

Sounds like you're just the sort of 'boss' who expects everyone under him to show the correct amount of obeisance, nevermind their own ethos or preferences.

OP, if you're not enjoying these outings then don't go, it's that simple. If you only want to play with people who take the game seriously for al it's etiquettes and traditions, then that's what you should do.

You just have to weigh up the pros and cons of brown-nosing (business networking) versus your own standards.

I have more respect for the man who stands on his own two feet than the guy who goes just because he thinks he has to

Keep playing with them, you've already said you don't really mind their company and they don't annoy you. I've played with golfers before who are not particulary great, but they just like to have some fun playing golf - not take it so seriously like I do playing in tournaments etc...

Also, compromise with your personal playing time with friends and playing with your boss and co-workers. Don't feel you're entitled to play with them each time, just say you've got other things arranged that day/

Play with them, and establish yourself as a good golfer as well as a polite individual. You might get lucky and have the "early weekend" round on a Friday after lunch and still be home by 6. Or get an invite to help entertain a client or be the "a" player for a charity scramble.

My executives do entertain clients as well as play in a group together. I always jump at the chance to fill out a foursome, especially if they want to happen during work hours.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

So...I used to get the chance to play golf ALL the time...3-4 times a week, sometimes 36 holes a day. Since I've been out of college (2 years now) and have this thing called a job...I'm lucky to get out once a week.

There are some guys at my work...my bosses, who are nice guys, but they pick their favorites....Being the young guy in the office I, of course, want to put a good impression on with these guys and get in good with them as much as possible...

Now the delimma...I play to a 6 and when I get out to play I take it seriously because my rounds are so few and far between it seems. Well, my bosses have started to ask me to play with them...on a weekly basis...

Many would love this...but these guys are straight up HACKERS to the fullest term...no disrepect here...but they always ride (something I hate) and play the LONGEST rounds ever (sometimes up to 5.5 or 6 hours). They have no eitquette...just a lot of money and they think that takes them a long way on the course. They talk in my backswing, when I'm putting, etc. Trust me it's just bad...

They continually ask me for advice...which I give to my best ability, only out of respect though...mind you I am NOT a teacher and trust me...these swings make you cringe every time they take a hack.

I mean, I tell myself it's just golf and that I should take advantage of being the guy who gets invited to play with the bosses every week...but I'm starting to see a decline in my game...I get to the point where I cannot take my round serious as if I would playing with a few of my home town buddies.

Do I decline politely or play and suck it it...mind you-this round that I play with these guys means that I don't get the chance to play on other occasions due to being so busy with other things right now.

You played lots of golf in college and are frustrated that work stops you playing as much golf as you like? HELLO, WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD! Pretty much everyone I know wants to play more golf but work/family gets in the way.

Sad fact. Money does take you a long way on the golf course, or pretty much wherever you want to go for that matter. Very little in today's society cannot be bought.

If I had an offer to spend 6hrs of work time a week playing golf with my boss, I'd do it. Being liked is never a bad thing.

Those aren't poignant words of wisdom, you're jumping all over this kid for no good reason. He never said these bosses were obnoxious or anything similar.

Sounds like you're just the sort of 'boss' who expects everyone under him to show the correct amount of obeisance, nevermind their own ethos or preferences.

OP, if you're not enjoying these outings then don't go, it's that simple. If you only want to play with people who take the game seriously for al it's etiquettes and traditions, then that's what you should do.

You just have to weigh up the pros and cons of brown-nosing (business networking) versus your own standards.

I have more respect for the man who stands on his own two feet than the guy who goes just because he thinks he has to

I did not jump all over him. You seemed to have overlooked numerous career issues that are associated with being an employee that's hoping to get ahead in life. I asked a poignant question about what his bosses would do if they read this thread. Seems that was conveniently ignored. Your attitude is obviously by your choice of words "brown-nosing". As for the value of having your respect, let me :beruo: there is none...

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

1000000% play with them. I'm speaking from personal experience in the corporate world:

1) This economy sucks - They will be less willing to fire one of their buddies as opposed to some joe schmo

2) Opportunity - One of these times they will invite you out and there will be clients involved. If you can establish a rapport with a client on the golf course it will make your job that much easier when you get back to the office.

3) $$$ - If you are that good then you should be able to take some money off these hacks. Set up some friendly games like WOLF or something like that. Give them strokes etc. Who cares, it will be fun to take some cash from them, but do it in a nice way.

4) Out of the office - If you can get out of the office to play golf then DO IT!

I never turn down an opportunity in life. You never know where things can go, whether its good or bad who cares. At least you gave it a shot and figured out something for yourself as opposed to letting life dictate your choices.

+1 - learn to deal with it, have fun. It is work golf - but at least it is golf!

Let's take an analytical look at this situation, and the potential impact on your ability to provide for yourself and your family in the next 30 years:

1. A 23 year old "6" handicap who wants to play to his potential. Chances of supporting yourself and/or your family over the next 30 years through golf? ZERO, ZILCH, NADA.

2. A 23 year old "6" handicap has a chance to develop camaraderie with his boss and co-workers, which could result in more favorable treatment now in terms of advancement over peers, salary expansion, bonus, career enhancement. As these guys get older and advance within the company and/or go to other companies, they provide you with potential connections for the rest of your life that may ensure you stay employed, grow in your career, achieve your career goals and take care of both yourself and your family financially.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Difficult decision here from an analytical standpoint.

At 23, you should be applauded for posing the question, but at the same time you have a lot to learn about corporate America if you don't already know the answer. Suck it up and learn how to play business golf now.

I won't name the bank, but years ago when I was recruited into the training program of one of the largest banks in the US, I soared up the fast track compared to others in my recruiting class (about 50 of us) largely because I was a good golfer and the executives always included me in trips to play golf with a well known NFL hall of fame quarterback who was on our board of directors. In addition, they would always include me in the pro-am at the Nelson, Colonial and the old Houston Open. Later on, I decided corporate America wasn't for me and I started my own business, but those early exposures gave me connections and $$$$$ that I would otherwise not have.

ok guys...I do understand the situation here...and I do appreciate all of the feedback and suggestions...I'm definitely going to play with these guys and I look forward to making the most out of the situation...

I know that I have ZERO potential in golf as a future...as I mentioned earlier...I guess I was just frustrated from yesterday, and ranted on here...my apologies...

Thanks again for the answers...I guess me not being used to this sort of "corporate world", with this being my first main job, leaves me with a lot to learn...

Let's take an analytical look at this situation, and the potential impact on your ability to provide for yourself and your family in the next 30 years:

1. A 23 year old "6" handicap who wants to play to his potential. Chances of supporting yourself and/or your family over the next 30 years through golf? ZERO, ZILCH, NADA.

2. A 23 year old "6" handicap has a chance to develop camaraderie with his boss and co-workers, which could result in more favorable treatment now in terms of advancement over peers, salary expansion, bonus, career enhancement. As these guys get older and advance within the company and/or go to other companies, they provide you with potential connections for the rest of your life that may ensure you stay employed, grow in your career, achieve your career goals and take care of both yourself and your family financially.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Difficult decision here from an analytical standpoint.

At 23, you should be applauded for posing the question, but at the same time you have a lot to learn about corporate America if you don't already know the answer. Suck it up and learn how to play business golf now.

I won't name the bank, but years ago when I was recruited into the training program of one of the largest banks in the US, I soared up the fast track compared to others in my recruiting class (about 50 of us) largely because I was a good golfer and the executives always included me in trips to play golf with a well known NFL hall of fame quarterback who was on our board of directors. In addition, they would always include me in the pro-am at the Nelson, Colonial and the old Houston Open. Later on, I decided corporate America wasn't for me and I started my own business, but those early exposures gave me connections and $$$$$ that I would otherwise not have.

^^^this^^^

just don't get cocky too fast and get lax at work. Remember why your'e being invited, it's because your'e a very good golfer. Promotions will be a given in the long run.

The skills you developed in golf are paying off for you big time right now. You seem to be in a better position then nepotism can give you since no-one can just say your'e the bosses kid.

Who wants to be a scratch golfer anyways, they're so miserable...lol

PLAY! I echo most of the above comments when I say that any excuse to get out during the week with your bosses OK is something that should not be passed up. If they are asking you to play, the obviously enjoy your company (whether it is just to watch you golf or not). Enjoy the time, and show them you can be one of hte guys. Give your opinion. Dish out some BS. Showing your personality is a good thing. Don't just be a head down no talk robot who is intimidated by the higher-ups. That won't get you anywhere.

Good luck.