You're all Suckers (those of you who buy the "newest" equipment every year)

OnFire

It's such a scam that the major golf club manufacturers come out with the "newest," "longest," and "greatest" things every year and so many of you are just being taken for it the whole way. Case in point: Today, I brought out a TM TP Burner and an (my) old Adams Ovation driver with a dent in it that I got out of the back of the Golfsmith because they chucked it. I was creaming the ball and both drivers were equal (and my Ovation was farther by several yards on some). I also have some oldschool Spaulding Greg Norman blades I got at Goodwill for about $13 and I can play the ball so good. So I don't get why so many of you are being (gladly) worked. Is it just so you can look cool, rich and hip? I don't get it.

(And for the record, the Cameron in my bag I payed $30 for and only because the "seemore" dots work for me, and the rest of my set, almost entirely I purchased at thrift stores). :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes the equipment is just part of the fun of golf. Maybe that isn't true for you but I know it has been for me. Especially during those cold winter months! Some of it has made a difference for my game and some hasn't, none of it was a waste because I enjoyed the process. And maybe that new club might just work for someone else like your seemore dots work for you?

PS. This reminds me I need to update my witb

It's such a scam that the major golf club manufacturers come out with the "newest," "longest," and "greatest" things every year and so many of you are just being taken for it the whole way. Case in point: Today, I brought out a TM TP Burner and an (my) old Adams Ovation driver with a dent in it that I got out of the back of the Golfsmith because they chucked it. I was creaming the ball and both drivers were equal (and my Ovation was farther by several yards on some). I also have some oldschool Spaulding Greg Norman blades I got at Goodwill for about $13 and I can play the ball so good. So I don't get why so many of you are being (gladly) worked. Is it just so you can look cool, rich and hip? I don't get it.

(And for the record, the Cameron in my bag I payed $30 for and only because the "seemore" dots work for me, and the rest of my set, almost entirely I purchased at thrift stores). :D

Does it really bother you that much what I play, how new it is, how much I paid? I am happy that you A) only paid $13 for your irons and B) that you are good enough to play Greg Norman blades, but why be an a** about it?

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Driver
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ FW

Srixon ZX5/ZX7

Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

your bag sucks. I have a half eaten pizza in my garbage if you want it.

2024 Bag TBD

Was that really necessary. Same way him not spending money doesn't make him better than anyone your much more expensive bag doesn't make you better either.

I'd assume you just give us a hardy 'thank you' and have you get on your way. Were it not for the "suckers" who wanted new clubs for whatever reason, or for the disgruntled housewives who just caught their husbands cheating, you wouldn't be able to get your clubs on clearance from the flea markets.

So on behalf of suckers everywhere; you're welcome. :hi:

:hi:

Gee's a bit harsh :black eye: .........Im just doing my bit to help fix the "Global Economic Crisis!"

Callaway GBB Epic w/- Fujikura 6.2TS X, Callaway BB 816 3W w/- Blueboard 73
Callaway Optiforce 5W w/- Blueboard 83, Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-PW w/- PXF 6.0
Callaway MD3 52°/56° Callaway PM 60°, Odyssey ProType Tour #2

Well then get off the equipment forum if you don't need any of the equipment we talk about on here. And I agree with the guy who said that your bag sucks.

Oh man, this thread going to get ugly, so I'll keep it clean. Do I do it to look cool, rich and hip? I'm 36 and I think my "hip" days are beyond me, I am well off but not a multi millionaire, as for being cool....ya I think so when I pull out my Whitlam ColdStar Tour putter, which by the way I happily paid over $300 for! (cool)

All I can add is this, can I smash my 8 year old Titleist 905T? I sure can....but since my marriage, my new son and a new job, my swing is not what it used to be, so my $90 Cobra Speed Pro driver gives me that extra forgiveness. So what's my point...although I have newer equipment it doesn't mean I've paid an arm and a leg for it, that's the beauty of these companies coming out with new equipment so quickly.

So with all due respect, play your own game.

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

Was that really necessary. Same way him not spending money doesn't make him better than anyone your much more expensive bag doesn't make you better either.

When an Op posts to simply put down most everyone here, yourself included, Yes... it was necessary.

I will do the original poster one better....today I went out with a broom handle I found in the garage....stole a butter knife and taped it to the bottom..average drive was 265 carry....sank every putt within 30 feet...wore my old football cleats from high school....shot 65 in gusting winds.......and didn't even pay as I worked off greens fees by washing each range ball by hand.

Who's the real winner now baby!!!

When an Op posts to simply put down most everyone here, yourself included, Yes... it was necessary.

So 2 wrongs make a right? He could have made his point without sinking down to the same level. I'm not offended as I'm sure I have less money in my bag than the majority of posters on this site.

Do you drive anything other than a prius? Check that, 1979 civic (much more fuel efficient)? Actually, forget that too, public transportation is cheaper. Do you ever ride anything other than a bus or train? Actually, biking is cheaper AND good exercise so...

Do you bike? Or are you a sucker?

No wait, there's more to life than the price.

You are one angry person Onefire....

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I can play the ball so good.

You want a cookie or something?

I imagine you don't have very many friends if you make a habit out of rants like that. In case you haven't figured it out yet you're in the wrong place to be running your mouth like this.

Part of me wants someone to close this thread, and another part of me wants to see heads roll, specifically the OP's.

LoL this is hilarious - its cool you can play well with cheap, second hand equipment - thats awesome.

It's also fun to tinker with the bag because not everyone is a great player, so when you love something but aren't awesome at it, you tinker - sometimes tinkering costs more money, but it's fun - I guess it's kinda like people who buy the latest and greatest don't get why you don't upgrade - Some people don't benefit as much from the technology...but others benefit greatly...

And if I had a crapload of money...I'd buy and drive a Ferrari over a Chevrolet...and my guess is you would too

Taylormade M1 440 Driver with Masters Edition Atmos Black 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 3w with Speeder 661x
Titleist 915 hybrid with GD AD DI 95g x flex
Callaway X prototype irons with C Taper 125g
Seven 51, 55, 59 Wedges
Bettinardi Tiki 2017

You're all Suckers
Perhaps.

But I can guarantee you the majority of members here haven't bought hundreds of putters like........well, like you.

...I have bought and sold hundreds of putters...

Pot, meet kettle.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

I have to admit that I look pretty cool when I pull that BIG 'ol black and yellow Bridgestone staff bag outta my Mustang....but that's not why I bought it. I bought it cause I like it. I bought all my sh*t cause I like it. I don't buy stuff to impress anybody else. Maybe I could score the same with some Northwestern's from the mid 1980's, but I DON'T LIKE THEM!!!

Like Jerry Rice once said "When I look good, I play good." That's why I wear proper golf attire and bag nice sticks in a nice bag. Not cause I want you to think I'm cool, but because it makes me feel good about myself.

I didn't buy my Mustang GT or my Suzuki GSXR wheeled rocket to impress you either...I bought them cause they are fast...and going fast makes me feel gooey inside. I like that.

Alot of guys on this forum blast people who use staff bags. They call us "posers." I haven't stopped using it cause I don't give two shakes of a bat's arse what they think of me and my bag. Don't worry about me man, I'll be fine.

I like golf clubs.. I make the money, I spend it how I see fit..

If I want the newest longest new driver out there, I go buy it.. Thats a luxury I can afford at the moment. Doesnt make me a sucker at all.

I have a closet full of $300 True Religion jeans also, I could have spent 20 at the gap, but thats not my style..

So I guess I like to be "hip" lol..

Well, considering I'm an undergrad student with a major in poli-sci and minor in history, I could use all the help I can get, thanks! I just find it funny on a course when I see some hack come up next to me with $1k+ in his bag and he couldn't buy a decent shot if his life depended on it. But, that's the point, right? Now, you Westchester, higher-than-thou, yuppie, did daddy give you a six figure trust fund for that Ivy-League education you wasted? :black eye: