2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist ProV1 costing me 5-6 strokes per round.

Hondabuff

[quote name='Bomb and Gouge' post='1865769' date='Aug 5 2009, 08:30 AM']This is the greatest thread ever.

I believe him though-

I recently figured out that my Champ replacement spikes have been costing me 3-4 strokes each round.[/quote]

My game and my feet are being hurt by my spikes. I put in the Black Widow Tour spikes on firm setting and they suck! I had them for 28 days according to my receipt and in that time seven of the spikes broke leaving me with no traction at all. In the set there are two extra spikes which is a nice addition and now I know why. You have to replace them so frequently its not funny. The spikes get so cloged under the black part that they stick straight down and eventually they break off from the shoe leaving you with a white plug and the red spacer. Do not buy these spikes. They are not worth the extra money. The Champ, Stinger spikes are my current favorite but the original soft spikes are some of the softest spikes I have tried.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude... yall are seriously giving hondabuff way too much crap. Idk about 6 strokes but the ball really does make a difference. I have always used a prov1. I then went to the z-star x for less spin and it wasn't enough. I then went to the prov1x and I'm still not getting enough spin with my driver. I've gone back to the prov1 and I'm hitting it shorter because it has way too much spin. I've got to find the ball in the middle.....

Why is a 10 handicap trying to work the ball, especially of the tee? Most tour players don't work their driver and many never work any of their clubs. They stick to one ball flight and simply hit that. You don't see Kenny Perry or Rocco trying to hit cuts around corners just like you don't see Calc try to draw the ball around corners. Working the ball is unnecessary with todays equipment and again the ball isn't making a 6 stroke difference. Sorry

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1871373' date='Aug 7 2009, 11:31 AM']Why is a 10 handicap trying to work the ball, especially of the tee? Most tour players don't work their driver and many never work any of their clubs. They stick to one ball flight and simply hit that. You don't see Kenny Perry or Rocco trying to hit cuts around corners just like you don't see Calc try to draw the ball around corners. Working the ball is unnecessary with todays equipment and again the ball isn't making a 6 stroke difference. Sorry[/quote]

a BIG +1

Epic Project X LZ 6.0
Epic 15* Project X LZ 6.0
19* and 23* Titleist 916H2
2018 X-Forged Proj X 5-P
MD3 50, 54, 58
PXG Dagger

I agree with hondabuff. I feel your pain man. I was playing one of the Callaway balls with the halo, you know, "good ball". All of a sudden the halo changes to red horns and the sucker was flyin all over the course. I couldn't put it back in the bag, it just jumped back on the tee every time. Tried to hit it in the lake and the lake dried up as soon as it hit so i'm playing a lie down 15 ft. and muddy. Man some of these balls are satans' spawn. I can't even think about playing again. I may have to burn my bag and start over. Man i'm sweatin just thinkin about it. This game sucks.... maybe i'll try a srixon..... but what about those teeth.... verrry scaawy.

2 words for you guys:

Srixon Z-star

If you're not happy with your ball (THAT doesn't sound right), you owe it to yourself to try this one. Longer and straighter off the tee than Pro-V1 with enough spin off irons and wedges unless you play rock-hard greens. I play in a lot of wind and it behaves much better here also.

[quote name='Medicaptain' post='1871554' date='Aug 7 2009, 02:49 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1871373' date='Aug 7 2009, 11:31 AM']Why is a 10 handicap trying to work the ball, especially of the tee? Most tour players don't work their driver and many never work any of their clubs. They stick to one ball flight and simply hit that. You don't see Kenny Perry or Rocco trying to hit cuts around corners just like you don't see Calc try to draw the ball around corners. Working the ball is unnecessary with todays equipment and again the ball isn't making a 6 stroke difference. Sorry[/quote]

a BIG +1
[/quote]

Thats because they dont have tree lined fairways where you live and have to hit out of tunnels of branches. Maybe some sage brush or a cactus gettin in your way. Just grip and rip out in the desert. Heres what I always play [url="http://www.lindenwoodgolf.com/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,142/"]http://www.lindenwoodgolf.com/component/op...per/Itemid,142/[/url]
Working the ball is a must or you dont have a 2 shot.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I live in Florida not in the desert and there are plenty of tree lined course here. You do not need to work the ball even at the tour level with the driver let alone a 10 hcp. Look up Victoria Hills Golf Club here in DeLand, FL where I play a good bit of my golf. Plenty of trees and 100s of fairway bunkers yet a 5-10 yard draw seems to work fine on this course. If you can't find a way to play your course with a straight shot you aren't thinking hard enough.

This is a between the ears problem. If hondabuff feels he is losing 5-6 strokes a round because of his ball then he is. If he looks down and see Bridgestone and feels better about his game, then he is going to play better.

hondabuff, you should black out the logos and sidestamp of both the Bridgestones and the ProVs. See what happens then. You might be surprised with your findings.

I personally like the TM TP Reds because they were 2 doz for $55 and I won't be as upset losing those than a $40/doz golf ball.

Just my $.02

Myself I am a big fan of the new Pro V's. I found the Z-stars to be too soft (and short off the block) I tried the Z Star X. Really good ball. Just a little too much for me. Felt a little hard. To me the old B330-s or the Callaway HX-56 is where its at! Slightly less spin than the Pro V and Z Star, longer off the tee and they have all the spin I need around the green :)

[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Taylormade R9 10.5* Diamana Kai'li [/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Taylormade R9 17* Diamana Kai'li[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Callaway FT 21* Diamana Thump[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Mizuno MP-52 5-PW Project X[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Vokey SM 52, 56, 60, 64 KBS Tour[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Bettinardi SB-1[/font][/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hondabuff
I see where you coming from and yeah, if you are hitting in the trees then sure, that is certainly going to cost you 5 or 6 shots a round. fighting to get it on the green and having to work it this way or that, to get it out.
Precisley why i try to avoid heavily tree lined courses if i can!!!!

I see your problem as two fold.

A. you have definately lost confidence in the pro v1, so not matter how well to are hitting the ball , you are always going to have doubt. So best to move on from it.

B. I see you are using a 909D3, which is a low launch driver and certainly not the starightest driver around. If you have project 5.0 shafts then its telling me the your swing speed is around 105. In which case maybe the 909D2 is worth a revist. (im assuming you tried one before)
I trialled one for a couple of rounds and while it gave me the tractectory i was looking for, i did hit some wides with it!! ( i used the same shaft as i am using now, so it was a pretty good comparison).
Also i see you have a V2 shaft which is low launch as well. So what i am saying is, maybe the driver is not right for the consistently you want.

My suggestion for what its worth is try a new driver coupled with a new ball.

Given your liking towards titleist i would try a new driver with a pro v1x. The prov1x is definately a straigher ball off the tee and also in the wind.

But if you dont like the way it feels then the other option is the callaway tour iX , definately the staighest ball off the driver, no question.

cheers

[quote name='ashortgame' post='1890920' date='Aug 16 2009, 04:45 AM']Hi Hondabuff
I see where you coming from and yeah, if you are hitting in the trees then sure, that is certainly going to cost you 5 or 6 shots a round. fighting to get it on the green and having to work it this way or that, to get it out.
Precisley why i try to avoid heavily tree lined courses if i can!!!!

I see your problem as two fold.

A. you have definately lost confidence in the pro v1, so not matter how well to are hitting the ball , you are always going to have doubt. So best to move on from it.

B. I see you are using a 909D3, which is a low launch driver and certainly not the starightest driver around. If you have project 5.0 shafts then its telling me the your swing speed is around 105. In which case maybe the 909D2 is worth a revist. (im assuming you tried one before)
I trialled one for a couple of rounds and while it gave me the tractectory i was looking for, i did hit some wides with it!! ( i used the same shaft as i am using now, so it was a pretty good comparison).
Also i see you have a V2 shaft which is low launch as well. So what i am saying is, maybe the driver is not right for the consistently you want.

My suggestion for what its worth is try a new driver coupled with a new ball.

Given your liking towards titleist i would try a new driver with a pro v1x. The prov1x is definately a straigher ball off the tee and also in the wind.

But if you dont like the way it feels then the other option is the callaway tour iX , definately the staighest ball off the driver, no question.

cheers[/quote]

I went thru the Titleist fitting and a 909D3 9.5 with V2 is what was giving me the most consistant numbers. The balls on the outdoor range where brand new Srixon range balls and I was hitting frozen ropes with them. Past 2 rounds I have kinda settled in on a NXT Tour ball due to the ball flight being starighter and longer then the ProV1 but still trying to adjust my wedges to them. Wedge flight is alot higher then I'm used to and the durability sucks on them. From a finacial stand point, I'm looking to move away from the top tier balls. Walking into to Dicks or Golf Galaxy and plunking down $45-50 for new balls is cutting into my golf budget. I dont really lose alot of balls but do tear them up with the wedges. Almost ready to play a XL3000 super staraight just so the wife alows me to play more golf.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

UGGGGGHHHH!!! I broke down and bought some of these balls after reading so many good reviews...It was hard for this Titleist guy to make this first step...
[attachment=451368:DSCN7311.JPG]

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

[quote name='Hondabuff' post='1892206' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:03 PM']UGGGGGHHHH!!! I broke down and bought some of these balls after reading so many good reviews...It was hard for this Titleist guy to make this first step...
[attachment=451368:DSCN7311.JPG][/quote]

Uh-oh...first step, Z-Star.

Next step, maybe some Miura irons.

Third step, maybe some Joe Kwok or Chikara wedges.

Then maybe a Tourstage or Epon driver.

And so on..... :welcomeani:

i've gained 3.4-6.8 strokes using a local range balls, when i get low in balls, i just go to my local driving range and buy/steal a bucket, 100 balls for only $8 bucks. it last me about 4 years.
c'mon man! it's your swing and the thing between your ears.

[color=#000000]Taylormade R9 425tp 10.5* - Diamana Ahina 70x[/color]
[color=#333333]Nike Sasquatch 14* - Fubuki 70x[/color]
[color=#333333]Ping Anser 20* - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 90x[/color]
[color=#666666]Ping i25 - CFS x[/color]
[color=#999999]TM Ztp 53* - KBS
TM Ztp 58* - KBS[/color]
[color=#CCCCCC]SC Newport 2 - 34"[/color]

[quote name='mikeyun1992' post='1895208' date='Aug 17 2009, 05:31 PM']i've gained 3.4-6.8 strokes using a local range balls, when i get low in balls, i just go to my local driving range and buy/steal a bucket, 100 balls for only $8 bucks. it last me about 4 years.
c'mon man! it's your swing and the thing between your ears.[/quote]

If I allready didnt have the image burned into my head of 4 or 5 balls that flew starighter then the ProV1 I would have to agree with you,,,,but do you where cargo shorts when you steal those balls just open up a pocket of your bag a press the button on the ball dispense machine ;)

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

i do understand the feel factor when it comes to equipment, you might need to try many balls you can to find the one to your liking. i found that noodle + is very long, but doesn't have enough spin around the greens. i had to adjust my shots around the greens to accommodate the less spin balls, but the shots over the traps are nail biter. i was kidding about the range balls, those balls are like hitting a rock.

[color=#000000]Taylormade R9 425tp 10.5* - Diamana Ahina 70x[/color]
[color=#333333]Nike Sasquatch 14* - Fubuki 70x[/color]
[color=#333333]Ping Anser 20* - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 90x[/color]
[color=#666666]Ping i25 - CFS x[/color]
[color=#999999]TM Ztp 53* - KBS
TM Ztp 58* - KBS[/color]
[color=#CCCCCC]SC Newport 2 - 34"[/color]

i do generally play slightly better with prov1x than prov1 but 5-6 storkes seems like a big number

maybe you're trying to work the ball a little too much. Looking at the course layout from the link you posted, it looks like you don't really have to work the ball that much

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

[quote name='Jimbo999' post='1822393' date='Jul 16 2009, 12:13 AM'][quote name='midway70' post='1822386' date='Jul 16 2009, 08:05 AM']Fear of losing the PRO-V1 cost me more stokes at some difficult course.. :man_in_love:[/quote]

That used to happen to me!
[/quote]

haha, actually, i'm the opposite. i would play better and put a better swing on for fear of losing it. :P

Just played a course yesterday that had a dogleg on almost every hole. There were so many doglegs the par 3's were almost curved, lol. That had me thinking about this post. Because this was not a tournament round of any sorts just 4 guys having a good time playing golf (45 holes) I was able to play around a little bit. I'm sure some purist will flame me for this but I had a great time and didn't lose a single Nike ONE Tour or Pro V1 (though I have completly shredded one). I hit a mixture of balls off the tee that my girlfriend found as she strolled through the woods and tall grass as we played our round. I actually didn't lose any of them either so I guess the point that I am trying to make is not entirely valid but why do more people feel that they can't hit a tee ball and then switch the ball out. We (myself and 2 of my other playing partners) played in a scramble (random blind draw for teams) and each received a sleeve of 07 Pro V1's. Now one of the guys I play with will hit a fairway and then not another ball in bounds for 3 holes. So should he take his new Pro V1's (his normal ball is whatever is cheapest because he loses so many) and blast them into the woods on his tee ball so that he can experience a great ball? What I have him do is hit whatever he wants off the tee and switch out the ball. That way he can play a Pro V1 for a while till he loses it blading it into the woods or water and does not get pissed off when he tees off a new ball right into the woods. Until yesterday I played a ball tee to green and would never have thought of picking it up and putting down a different ball but now I would not care. I am so straped for money that I am just glad that I am able to play golf at this point so unless you (OP) are playing in a tourney round why worry about losing a Pro V1 and go buy a dozen cheapies and blast them off the tee. Play a few rounds like this and build back your confidence that seems to be lower at this point. Granted you may not be able to work the ball as well and that might show you that you don't have to as much as you feel you do. I don't know I don't play your course. Playing a few rounds hitting cheap balls might free your swing up and put a better picture in your mind. Then go back to the Pro V1's or whatever ball you have confidence in looking down at and smoke it down the middle.

Two days ago I shot 75 and yesterday I posted 78 at the same course in nearly identical conditions. Just so happens I bought a new towel after my round of 75 because my other one was filthy nasty and my wife was threatening to trash it. I don't have forensic proof, but I'm pretty sure this new towel, rich with it's new-kid-on-the-block plushness and fresh scent, sabotaged my game and robbed me of three strokes. Like I said, I haven't called for an investigation (yet), but everything was the same those two days from the elephant's a$$ push I hit on 1 to the mind-wilting 3-putt I made on 18, except that blasted towel. You be the judge.

[quote name='autisticlove' post='1912576' date='Aug 25 2009, 04:55 AM']Two days ago I shot 75 and yesterday I posted 78 at the same course in nearly identical conditions. Just so happens I bought a new towel after my round of 75 because my other one was filthy nasty and my wife was threatening to trash it. I don't have forensic proof, but I'm pretty sure this new towel, rich with it's new-kid-on-the-block plushness and fresh scent, sabotaged my game and robbed me of three strokes. Like I said, I haven't called for an investigation (yet), but everything was the same those two days from the elephant's a$$ push I hit on 1 to the mind-wilting 3-putt I made on 18, except that blasted towel. You be the judge.[/quote]

Hahahahaha....... :clapping:

Went back to the Range where I purchased my 909 and got back on there launch monitor to try and staighten out my drives. Seems like my shot dispersion on the face was more on the heal then in the center. The Optifit club I was fitted for was a 44" V2 76g and mine was playing at 45-1/16" and a D8 swing weight. The fitter told me for sure My shaft was to long and I should get a more consistant pattern on the impact tape if I butt trim the shaft 1". I still have the order form and it says 44" and d2-d3 swing weight with a 76g stiff V2 with a Titleist Victory Cord. Makes me wonder about the Custom department at Titleist...Made all the difference in the world. Had one of the best driving days yesterday with my "properly fit" driver and the Z-star. After being a Titleist homer for so long I definatley overlooked the Z-star and now see what all the fuss was about. :good:

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

[quote name='Hondabuff' post='1865852' date='Aug 5 2009, 08:24 AM'][quote name='persimmonpal' post='1865767' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:24 AM']So judging from your low of 74 to 85, what does that put your handicap at.. I am guessing around a 9?? And you say you are losing 5-6 per round due to the ball? Cmon Bro, thats pretty far fetched. No 9 or 10 handicap I have ever heard of was such a precise ball striker that he would lose 5-6 strokes based on driver spin, and therefore not being able to shape a shot.[/quote]

Whats so hard to beleave that I could could lose 2.5 strokes per nine with a ball that doesnt match my driver/3w that well. If you ever played any western Pa courses you would understand how important keeping the ball in the fairway and being able to hold the green with approach shots is a utmost importance. Most of the slope ratings are in the mid to high 130's which puts my adjusted USGA at a 6 from a 9.6. I'm good enough to know where my weakness is and where I'm losing strokes at. But I'm not good enough to consistanty shape the shot I'm trying to hit and usually over due it. Most of the fairways here are severly sloped and you have to curve the ball back into the slope just to keep the ball in play.
[/quote]

Isn't keeping the ball in the fairway and holding greens important on EVERY golf course? Except a putt-putt of course. Man, I'm a legit 7.9 ((apparently (I don't feel like it)) and I play a course that is treed-the-hell-up and has blind shots, holes where you must hit about a 10 yard wide section of the fairway or the slope kicks into the rough, has 10-12 yard "shoots" between tree limbs on both sides of 2 tee boxes (1 of these are doglegs also and 1 has a OB tree line right the entire length) and firm a** upside-down bowl greens (sounds tough as hell huh? it's short though 6450 yds) but i don't have to "shape" every shot, and I miss fairways and hop off greens. I will say a v1 holds a little better and is shorter than a v1x though. It just seems like you're putting a bit too much into the club and ball. I know it matters but I'm not buying 5-6 strokes bc of ball, it's your swing and course management dude! I can say I'd believe maybe 1-2 strokes, if it's a Top-Flight vs Cally touri/ix. Nobody with that HC should be tripping over all those stats man. Like the other fellas said, it's a between the ears problem. It's the indian not the arrow.
I shot a 79 last week with a damn old a** Titleist (think it was a "Professional 90" or something like that) old as HELL! I just hit some good putts and kept it in play, only had to hit 1 "punch" shot out of the trees, all day.
I ramble now..sorry. Just enjoy that new driver set up and srixons and have fun, relax, forget about spin rates and swing weights and 1/8" inches, and all the s***. Just play hard and laugh a little.
~GT

Z-stars didnt make the Bag. Great ball, but spin off the wedges is not so impressive. I think some of my NXT tours spin more. This adventure really opened my eyes of how good the Pro V1 is as a all around ball. I think tinkering with other balls is messing my consistancy and will baggin the V1 for the rest of the season. Case closed :victory:

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6