2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist ProV1 costing me 5-6 strokes per round.

Hondabuff

[quote name='Medicaptain' post='1871554' date='Aug 7 2009, 02:49 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1871373' date='Aug 7 2009, 11:31 AM']Why is a 10 handicap trying to work the ball, especially of the tee? Most tour players don't work their driver and many never work any of their clubs. They stick to one ball flight and simply hit that. You don't see Kenny Perry or Rocco trying to hit cuts around corners just like you don't see Calc try to draw the ball around corners. Working the ball is unnecessary with todays equipment and again the ball isn't making a 6 stroke difference. Sorry[/quote]

a BIG +1
[/quote]

AMEN .... This thread has me stunned. Anybody - I mean Anybody who thinks that a golf ball is making a 5-6 shot difference in their round .... needs.... (you get the picture) I don't want to be too rude!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 10 handicapper has every right and need to work the ball as a low handi, especially if he is losing strokes somewhere besides the ballstriking. Funny comments but I don't see why his claims are considered so out there by some of you. Two drives that end up 5 yards further left than they would have with another ball could cost me 5 strokes easily on some of the courses I play. If the golf ball didn't make much of a difference then there wouldn't be a hundred different choices for them.

I don't know how you've kept your cool this long honda, but I would have challenged a few to a fight by now and even driven a couple hundred miles to make it happen and hope to god I wouldn't need one of my clubs when I got there.

[quote name='Hondabuff' post='1920333' date='Aug 28 2009, 04:45 PM']Z-stars didnt make the Bag. Great ball, but spin off the wedges is not so impressive. I think some of my NXT tours spin more. This adventure really opened my eyes of how good the Pro V1 is as a all around ball. I think tinkering with other balls is messing my consistancy and will baggin the V1 for the rest of the season. Case closed :victory:[/quote]

Just read through this thread for the first time.... and after all this you're just back to the Pro V1?

Was the Z-Star costing you 5-6 strokes per round around the greens?

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

[quote name='Babydaddy' post='1822715' date='Jul 16 2009, 09:20 AM']I have discovered that any ball can be the best ball I have ever played if I am hitting it well.
The only balls that I can categorically exclude are really hard two piece balls, and super soft balls like the DT solo or Srixon AD 333.
Outside of that it's preference.
Titleist balls have always excelled at greenside spin, and although they have minimized the effects of driver side spin as much as possible, you can't outrun physics 100%, even with layers and mantles, etc..
If a ball spins more around the green, it will spin a little off the tee. A good bet for you would be a ball like the Callaway Tour i, you get medium spin everywhere, and good solid check on iron shots and partial wedge shots.
To me, the new pro v spins less off the tee than the prior iteration but somehow still spins well into the green.
Noelsy[/quote]

+1

I find the premium balls to play pretty similar. I find I can play anything from a Tour I to a B-330. Not a ton of difference between them. Obviously the two peice rock balls all suck, same as the super soft ballls as well.

[quote name='alan802' post='1923326' date='Aug 30 2009, 05:51 PM']A 10 handicapper has every right and need to work the ball as a low handi, especially if he is losing strokes somewhere besides the ballstriking. Funny comments but I don't see why his claims are considered so out there by some of you. Two drives that end up 5 yards further left than they would have with another ball could cost me 5 strokes easily on some of the courses I play. If the golf ball didn't make much of a difference then there wouldn't be a hundred different choices for them.

I don't know how you've kept your cool this long honda, but I would have challenged a few to a fight by now and even driven a couple hundred miles to make it happen and hope to god I wouldn't need one of my clubs when I got there.[/quote]
Nobody needs to work the ball with a driver direction wise. Trajectory wise sure but with today's equipment the driver should be hit just one way. Most guys on tour don't work their driver (they will drop to a 3 wood) and there is no way a 10 handicap can work it consistently. Like I said before if a ball that curves less than 10 yards won't work on a hole you're playing you aren't thinking hard enough or you don't need driver in your hand.

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1923440' date='Aug 30 2009, 06:46 PM'][quote name='alan802' post='1923326' date='Aug 30 2009, 05:51 PM']A 10 handicapper has every right and need to work the ball as a low handi, especially if he is losing strokes somewhere besides the ballstriking. Funny comments but I don't see why his claims are considered so out there by some of you. Two drives that end up 5 yards further left than they would have with another ball could cost me 5 strokes easily on some of the courses I play. If the golf ball didn't make much of a difference then there wouldn't be a hundred different choices for them.

I don't know how you've kept your cool this long honda, but I would have challenged a few to a fight by now and even driven a couple hundred miles to make it happen and hope to god I wouldn't need one of my clubs when I got there.[/quote]
Nobody needs to work the ball with a driver direction wise. Trajectory wise sure but with today's equipment the driver should be hit just one way. Most guys on tour don't work their driver (they will drop to a 3 wood) and there is no way a 10 handicap can work it consistently. Like I said before if a ball that curves less than 10 yards won't work on a hole you're playing you aren't thinking hard enough or you don't need driver in your hand.
[/quote]

Please listen to this guy! I would put the cut line at 50.... If you in are in the top 50 PGA players... go ahead and work the ball. If you fall below that line. Perfect your alignment and contact for your natural ball flight.

O.K. I had to chime in. I played today and shot 41-33 but I never had the urge to blame my ball. Here is my suggestion, If Camillo can hit a pro v 1 with out it spinning to much you can too, Tee it up a little high and try to make contact half a ball above the dead center, this should take some of the spin of, it will also be a more boring flight. Little trick that works for me I open the face maybe 2-3 * and then try to hit a little draw It usually produces a power fade or straight ball. That is my go to shot

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1923440' date='Aug 30 2009, 06:46 PM'][quote name='alan802' post='1923326' date='Aug 30 2009, 05:51 PM']A 10 handicapper has every right and need to work the ball as a low handi, especially if he is losing strokes somewhere besides the ballstriking. Funny comments but I don't see why his claims are considered so out there by some of you. Two drives that end up 5 yards further left than they would have with another ball could cost me 5 strokes easily on some of the courses I play. If the golf ball didn't make much of a difference then there wouldn't be a hundred different choices for them.

[/quote]

Look, I know for a fact that you have forgotten more about the golf swing and philosophies than I'll ever know, but I also believe that being able to work the ball from the tee with the driver has made me a better golfer. I do agree with you that your philosophy is better to have for most golfers, but I do think mine can make a difference for others. I thought a lot of the pros work the ball with their driver when they need to, but, I'm not even close to an authority on that subject and quite frankly could be dead wrong. I know the television cameras play some optical allusions when watching the tournaments on tv and to me it looks like some of the guys are playing a 50 yard draw with a pw when I know they aren't.

Granted, I can't really work the ball right to left consistently, but being able to work it left to right when I can has put me in great positions. You could argue that most of those times that I could have gotten the ball in the same spot with a straight ball flight but, we would just be banging heads. When things get tight for whatever reason, I can count on that cutter when the hole sets up for it. It is one of the reasons my regular foursome won't play for money anymore and something that has set me apart from them. When I started putting myself in better parts of the fairway, my GIR's got better.

I certainly don't want to get into an argument with guys who are more knowledgeable in that area, it would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight. It is just that my thoughts on this subject are slightly different and I believe strongly they have worked for me. Maybe my philosophy is costing me strokes, but it is hard for me think that it is.

[quote name='pobonner' post='1923531' date='Aug 30 2009, 05:30 PM']O.K. I had to chime in. I played today and shot 41-33 but I never had the urge to blame my ball. Here is my suggestion, If Camillo can hit a pro v 1 with out it spinning to much you can too, Tee it up a little high and try to make contact half a ball above the dead center, this should take some of the spin of, it will also be a more boring flight. Little trick that works for me I open the face maybe 2-3 * and then try to hit a little draw It usually produces a power fade or straight ball. That is my go to shot[/quote]
great post. Who knows who he's going point the finger at next....his course designer should hide for cover.

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1872314' date='Aug 7 2009, 11:18 PM']I live in Florida not in the desert and there are plenty of tree lined course here. You do not need to work the ball even at the tour level with the driver let alone a 10 hcp. Look up Victoria Hills Golf Club here in DeLand, FL where I play a good bit of my golf. Plenty of trees and 100s of fairway bunkers yet a 5-10 yard draw seems to work fine on this course. If you can't find a way to play your course with a straight shot you aren't thinking hard enough.[/quote]

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1923440' date='Aug 30 2009, 07:46 PM'][quote name='alan802' post='1923326' date='Aug 30 2009, 05:51 PM']A 10 handicapper has every right and need to work the ball as a low handi, especially if he is losing strokes somewhere besides the ballstriking. Funny comments but I don't see why his claims are considered so out there by some of you. Two drives that end up 5 yards further left than they would have with another ball could cost me 5 strokes easily on some of the courses I play. If the golf ball didn't make much of a difference then there wouldn't be a hundred different choices for them.

[/quote]

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1923655' date='Aug 30 2009, 09:30 PM']I would agree with you. I said it should be hit one way not both. I meant someone should not try to hit it both draws and fades with the driver. Hitting it on way isn't working it IMO it is simply playing your natural shot.[/quote]

Not to get off topic, but i agree with you for the most part Teach. However, my natural shot shape is a draw, that can, and will at some point in the round turn into a snap hook (i get hung up inside on occasion)... Anyhow, i usually will try to 'shape' a shot to a fade because it makes me swing inside (actually more DTL). If accuracy is a premium on a hole, i will hit a fade (driver or 3 wood) because i have confidence that it will be much more controllable than the draw that may run away to the left.

Same goes for approach shots, i know that my natural swing will draw, but i feel like that if i try to shape something in there, it makes me put a good swing on it. Maybe I am just lazy when i play an entire round with the same swing and get sloppy, but your words are taken as very true. Recently on the range, i have decided to stop screwing with my swing and groove what i have (not a BAD swing, but has some flaws), and I am just concentrating on impact position being correct

Don't know if those ramblings made sense

• 1 month later...

its not the ball bro

Taylormade 2017 M2 10.1* AD DI 6X
Taylormade 2016 M2 3HL deep face 15.2* AD DI 7X
Taylormade 2016 M2 18.4* AD DI 8X
Titleist 716 T-MB 23* Modus 125S (hardstepped x1)
Srixon Z745 5-PW Modus 125S (hardstepped x1)
Vokey SM6 52.08F, 56.10S, 60.10V Modus 125 wedge
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/370 (Slighter Custom)

Since this thread is still alive, I thought I would chime back in. Got some video lessons mid summer to find out what was going on and came to find out my driver swing was too long and causing me to come off plane and my left arm was breaking down and not retaining the "straight left arm". Moved back from the yellow golf pride tees to the blue ones so the ball is higher on the tee. Now my swing is more compact and more importantly back on plane. Got rid of my "flipping the wrists" that I was unaware that I was doing, causing my hooks. Been using the NXT Tour ball and been having a blast playing it. Went from a swooping draw to a power fade and brought back a ton of enjoyment back to my game. I gave up nothing switching from a tour ball to a mid ball in terms of performance and gained a full 15-20yards of distance and consistancy and the ball hits the deck running. Seems the NXT Tour matches my driver swing perfectly and I consistantly fly the ProV1 when I test them back to back. Cant explain it but it is just an easier ball for me to play. My ego still wants to play a Tour caliper ball but results of shooting lower scores are more impressive then spinning wedges 10 feet on the greens. Dont know why I am so fascinated with the ball spinning back on the green anyway. NXT Tour always seems to release putting me in better scoring situations then the Pro V1 or any of the other tour balls I was tinkering with. Now I can rip 3 woods off the deck to par fives that I just could not do with a ProV1. The V1 would only get about about 40' up in the air on long approach shots. Either angle or attack or not enough CH speed or both. Can pull it off 9of 10 tries with a NXT Tour. Big arching rainbows that land soft everytime. Past couple rounds have been a pure blast playing again and post 3 rounds in the high 70's. All in all it has been a ongoing learning expierence about my swing and matching the ball to your swing type.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

[quote name='pobonner' post='1923531' date='Aug 30 2009, 07:30 PM']O.K. I had to chime in. I played today and shot 41-33 but I never had the urge to blame my ball. Here is my suggestion, If Camillo can hit a pro v 1 with out it spinning to much you can too, Tee it up a little high and try to make contact half a ball above the dead center, this should take some of the spin of, it will also be a more boring flight. Little trick that works for me I open the face maybe 2-3 * and then try to hit a little draw It usually produces a power fade or straight ball. That is my go to shot[/quote]

I agree with you about the spin. There isnt enough difference between the soft/hard premium balls spin wise to cost anybody shots. At that point it really comes down to feel off the clubs and durability.

Looking at the fact that you play Project X 5.0 would tell me that your swing speed isn't particularly high. So to agree with many people on here, I highly doubt that a ball is giving you 15 more yards accuracy (dispersion). Now if you had a 130 mph swing speed I would say it's possible that equipment might be a factor. As most things in Golf, I think it's IN YOUR HEAD.

Good Luck with a local sports phycologist.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

[quote name='TitlePured' post='2033130' date='Oct 29 2009, 11:37 AM']Looking at the fact that you play Project X 5.0 would tell me that your swing speed isn't particularly high. So to agree with many people on here, I highly doubt that a ball is giving you 15 more yards accuracy (dispersion). Now if you had a 130 mph swing speed I would say it's possible that equipment might be a factor. As most things in Golf, I think it's IN YOUR HEAD.

Good Luck with a local sports phycologist.[/quote]

I found an old Golf magazine and it had an article in it about Phil Mickleson and how he was prepairing for the masters and he mentioned many times about switching from the Prov1x to the V1 due to the fact that the ball was easier to work both ways verses the x ball. He said the Prov1x had a tendency to fly straighter due to the design. He also said a 5 yard draw turns out to be about 15yards with the V1. If a balls can vary by 1000rpm of back spin what makes you think side spin wouldnt be affected???? What does my PX5.0's have anything to do with launch conditions with my driver. :huh:

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Holy cow, that is more analysis of a golfball than I have put into nearly 30 years of golf. I am now close to being so tired from reading all those posts that I might struggle to go and get my Friday after work 9 holes in.

My alternative approach is go and buy what ever mid-level ball is on special. Buy 3 or 4 boxes and play them til they are done and just get used to them rather than changing every other round.

[quote name='Hondabuff' post='1819077' date='Jul 14 2009, 06:28 PM']Seriously costing me 5-6 strokes by not being able to put it into position off the tee. From mid irons-wedges and putter the 09' ProV1 might just be the best all around ball but off the driver it over does it with my draw. I can draw it, or fade it but can not hit a frozen rope like I could with the old B330-S. When I really go after it, it goes 15 yards right of center and draws back 30 yards. Im going to put the new B330-S back into play few a few rounds and see if I can settle in with it. If I remember, didnt the 330-S spin more with the driver then the previous S. I was Golf Galaxy the other night and they had 30 dozen of the old B330-S instock :o and might go and stock up.[/quote]

Play a lower spin ball. Enough said.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Hondabuff' post='2034240' date='Oct 29 2009, 08:13 PM']I found an old Golf magazine and it had an article in it about Phil Mickleson and how he was prepairing for the masters and he mentioned many times about switching from the Prov1x to the V1 due to the fact that the ball was easier to work both ways verses the x ball. He said the Prov1x had a tendency to fly straighter due to the design. He also said a 5 yard draw turns out to be about 15yards with the V1. If a balls can vary by 1000rpm of back spin what makes you think side spin wouldnt be affected???? What does my PX5.0's have anything to do with launch conditions with my driver. :huh:[/quote]

You're not Phil, you don't have the club head control to tell if the difference between 2 shots is due to the ball or your swing. I would bet its the swing...

[quote name='CryMeARiver' post='2051802' date='Nov 7 2009, 09:15 PM'][quote name='Hondabuff' post='2034240' date='Oct 29 2009, 08:13 PM']I found an old Golf magazine and it had an article in it about Phil Mickleson and how he was prepairing for the masters and he mentioned many times about switching from the Prov1x to the V1 due to the fact that the ball was easier to work both ways verses the x ball. He said the Prov1x had a tendency to fly straighter due to the design. He also said a 5 yard draw turns out to be about 15yards with the V1. If a balls can vary by 1000rpm of back spin what makes you think side spin wouldnt be affected???? What does my PX5.0's have anything to do with launch conditions with my driver. :huh:[/quote]

You're not Phil, you don't have the club head control to tell if the difference between 2 shots is due to the ball or your swing. I would bet its the swing...
[/quote]

Pretty insightful for your 4th post...being that my crappy swing got me into the high single digit HCP..I'm pretty sure I can tell when a ball spins more then another. Now that I switched from a draw to a controlled fade, I can put a NXT Tour and A ProV1 back to back and the ProV1 will be shorter and at least 10yards further to the right then the NXT Tour almost every time. The ProV1 philosphy was always to fit you from the green then to the tee. Whats the good in that if you cant get the ball into play consistantly???

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6