2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tilting correctly and handpath

iteachgolf

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1960921' date='Sep 19 2009, 04:19 PM']Hand path more in and the tilting of the shoulders is all that were discussed. So really hands more in and lower with no lift while showing him the proper sequence in the downswing.[/quote]

It's amazing how much of a difference those 2 things make. Congrats on the success with all of these people! And thanks for starting

this thread too...

hello iteach.

i don't know if i should post in here, perhaps OT?, but if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a look at my latest driver swing and see if you can find some of the ills that conspire to stop me from shooting better than an 80 average, besides my 32 putts per round.

cheers.

[url="http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r223/w6yrsn/?action=view&current=driver.flv"]Drver swing[/url]

[quote name='2000wrx' post='1961305' date='Sep 19 2009, 10:39 PM']hello iteach.

i don't know if i should post in here, perhaps OT?, but if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a look at my latest driver swing and see if you can find some of the ills that conspire to stop me from shooting better than an 80 average, besides my 32 putts per round.

cheers.

[url="http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r223/w6yrsn/?action=view&current=driver.flv"]Drver swing[/url][/quote]

I think your hips and shoulders turn too level and hands are a little higher at the top than I'd like to see them and I think you over rotate in the finish. I think your grip is rotated too far to the right personally. It's hard to see as I'm look at it at full speed and the video isn't the best quality. It'd be easier if I could slow it down.

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1960869' date='Sep 19 2009, 05:44 PM']Figured I'd throw up the video as well.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzHiozhM2w"]Video from above lesson[/url][/quote]

Wow! Nice job, iteach. Amazing what was accomplished in just fifteen minutes.

Interested in how in the world would you clean up this mess?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTy6zv3IE38"]FO Swing[/url]

[quote name='moehogan' post='1961425' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:09 AM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1960869' date='Sep 19 2009, 05:44 PM']Figured I'd throw up the video as well.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzHiozhM2w"]Video from above lesson[/url][/quote]

[/quote]

Work on right arm motion in both the backswing and downswing among other things. Throw up a DTL video

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1961440' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:19 AM'][quote name='moehogan' post='1961425' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:09 AM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1960869' date='Sep 19 2009, 05:44 PM']Figured I'd throw up the video as well.

[/quote]

Work on right arm motion in both the backswing and downswing among other things. Throw up a DTL video
[/quote]

iteach,

Thanks for taking a look. I'll try to post a DTL vid tomorrow.

MH

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1961323' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:51 PM'][quote name='2000wrx' post='1961305' date='Sep 19 2009, 10:39 PM']hello iteach.

cheers.

[url="http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r223/w6yrsn/?action=view&current=driver.flv"]Drver swing[/url][/quote]

I think your hips and shoulders turn too level and hands are a little higher at the top than I'd like to see them and I think you over rotate in the finish. I think your grip is rotated too far to the right personally. It's hard to see as I'm look at it at full speed and the video isn't the best quality. It'd be easier if I could slow it down.
[/quote]

thanks man

[quote name='moehogan' post='1961459' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:39 AM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1961440' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:19 AM'][quote name='moehogan' post='1961425' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:09 AM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1960869' date='Sep 19 2009, 05:44 PM']Figured I'd throw up the video as well.

[/quote]

[/quote]

iteach,

Thanks for taking a look. I'll try to post a DTL vid tomorrow.

MH
[/quote]
iteach,

No DTL today - it's pouring rain here. I did find a more recent and clearer FO vid. Thanks!

MH

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge9BCDrwhW0"]FO Swing 1[/url]

Moe... you set-up wrong, you have a big shift to the right, with the head and spine over your right leg, and a big throwaway from the top, losing your right flying wedge and "scooping" at impact, as well as a complete pivot stall, where your belt buckle stops moving and your hands get thrown past your lower swing centers...You are EXHIBIT A, in what the S&T guys are trying to correct...
Get down to Orlando, and Teach will get you on track in about an hour...JMHO....

[quote name='Siteseer2' post='1961914' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:03 PM']Moe... you set-up wrong, you have a big shift to the right, with the head and spine over your right leg, and a big throwaway from the top, losing your right flying wedge and "scooping" at impact, as well as a complete pivot stall, where your belt buckle stops moving and your hands get thrown past your lower swing centers...You are EXHIBIT A, in what the S&T guys are trying to correct...
Get down to Orlando, and Teach will get you on track in about an hour...JMHO....[/quote]
I would agree. I would also say the over flexing of the right arm is a big cause of the throwaway from the top and the reason for the cast/flip and poor impact alignments.

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1961927' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:12 PM'][quote name='Siteseer2' post='1961914' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:03 PM']Moe... you set-up wrong, you have a big shift to the right, with the head and spine over your right leg, and a big throwaway from the top, losing your right flying wedge and "scooping" at impact, as well as a complete pivot stall, where your belt buckle stops moving and your hands get thrown past your lower swing centers...You are EXHIBIT A, in what the S&T guys are trying to correct...
Get down to Orlando, and Teach will get you on track in about an hour...JMHO....[/quote]
I would agree. I would also say the [b]over flexing of the right arm[/b] is a big cause of the throwaway from the top and the reason for the cast/flip and poor impact alignments.
[/quote]

Teach,

I'm a flipper, and I think my problems might start in my backswing somewhere. What do you mean by this?

When the right arm bends more than 90º in the backswing it will almost always cause throwaway. In his case the angle between the right forearm and right biceps is probably only around 65º causing a chain reaction and making it very difficult for the right arm to work correctly in the downswing.

[quote name='Siteseer2' post='1961914' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:03 PM']Moe... you set-up wrong, you have a big shift to the right, with the head and spine over your right leg, and a big throwaway from the top, losing your right flying wedge and "scooping" at impact, as well as a complete pivot stall, where your belt buckle stops moving and your hands get thrown past your lower swing centers...You are EXHIBIT A, in what the S&T guys are trying to correct...

Site,

Thanks for the input. I see what you mean about the head and spine shift to the right - maybe a flawed move to try to assure attacking the ball from the inside? This was something I had added recently thinking that it would help with the DS right arm / throwaway problem. I have been desparately trying everything I can think of to eliminate the early cast - with no luck!

Interested to hear what would you change in the set up? Checking on flights to Orlando right now! (cool)

Cheers,

MH

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1961927' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:12 PM'][quote name='Siteseer2' post='1961914' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:03 PM']Moe... you set-up wrong, you have a big shift to the right, with the head and spine over your right leg, and a big throwaway from the top, losing your right flying wedge and "scooping" at impact, as well as a complete pivot stall, where your belt buckle stops moving and your hands get thrown past your lower swing centers...You are EXHIBIT A, in what the S&T guys are trying to correct...
I would agree. I would also say the over flexing of the right arm is a big cause of the throwaway from the top and the reason for the cast/flip and poor impact alignments.
[/quote]
iteach,

Once again I think you have nailed it. How do I stop my right arm from doing that bicep/hammer curl on the BS?

MH

[quote name='moehogan' post='1961993' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:56 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1961927' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:12 PM'][quote name='Siteseer2' post='1961914' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:03 PM']Moe... you set-up wrong, you have a big shift to the right, with the head and spine over your right leg, and a big throwaway from the top, losing your right flying wedge and "scooping" at impact, as well as a complete pivot stall, where your belt buckle stops moving and your hands get thrown past your lower swing centers...You are EXHIBIT A, in what the S&T guys are trying to correct...
[/quote]
iteach,

Once again I think you have nailed it. How do I stop my right arm from doing that bicep/hammer curl on the BS?

MH
[/quote]
You will feel like your right arm is much straighter and will probably feel like you are not cocking your wrist at all in the backswing.

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1962002' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:59 PM'][quote name='moehogan' post='1961993' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:56 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1961927' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:12 PM'][quote name='Siteseer2' post='1961914' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:03 PM']Moe... you set-up wrong, you have a big shift to the right, with the head and spine over your right leg, and a big throwaway from the top, losing your right flying wedge and "scooping" at impact, as well as a complete pivot stall, where your belt buckle stops moving and your hands get thrown past your lower swing centers...You are EXHIBIT A, in what the S&T guys are trying to correct...
[/quote]
iteach,

MH
[/quote]
You will feel like your right arm is much straighter and will probably feel like you are not cocking your wrist at all in the backswing.
[/quote]
iteach,

As soon as I saw your last post, the rain stopped and the sun came out! I'm off to the range - I think this is going to take some work to fix. Thanks again.

MH

[quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1961963' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:37 PM']When the right arm bends more than 90º in the backswing it will almost always cause throwaway. In his case the angle between the right forearm and right biceps is probably only around 65º causing a chain reaction and making it very difficult for the right arm to work correctly in the downswing.[/quote]

I've never heard it quite like that before. In the past, I've been told that the right arm should fold in the backswing, and the right hand should be as if you're holding a tray. I think the visualization I have of that right arm folding is probably not good?

[quote name='KDMullins' post='1962019' date='Sep 20 2009, 01:20 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1961963' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:37 PM']When the right arm bends more than 90º in the backswing it will almost always cause throwaway. In his case the angle between the right forearm and right biceps is probably only around 65º causing a chain reaction and making it very difficult for the right arm to work correctly in the downswing.[/quote]

I've never heard it quite like that before. In the past, I've been told that the right arm should fold in the backswing, and the right hand should be as if you're holding a tray. I think the visualization I have of that right arm folding is probably not good?
[/quote]
These show when and how much the right arm should bend. Most people bend it too much and too soon.

[attachment=468548:Picture_1.png]
[attachment=468549:Picture_2.png]

[attachment=468557:ScreenHu...20_13.45.jpg][quote name='KDMullins' post='1962019' date='Sep 20 2009, 01:20 PM'][quote name='iteachgolf ' post='1961963' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:37 PM']When the right arm bends more than 90º in the backswing it will almost always cause throwaway. In his case the angle between the right forearm and right biceps is probably only around 65º causing a chain reaction and making it very difficult for the right arm to work correctly in the downswing.[/quote]

[/quote]

If you fight overbend as I do/did Iteach had me think of keeping a straight right arm as long as possible on the takeaway.

Because my "case of the overbends" was very ingrained he went with this approach.

I hope Dana doesn't mind but this image above is from a video of one of his students and I use it as a mental image to help me (though I am not able to achieve her level of right arm straightness at the same point in the takeaway, I am 10X closer to where I want to be vs. where I was before).

A good drill/feel I have used is to take a short, weighted club, and to old it only in my right hand. I then swing to the top of the backswing keeping my right arm straight. It gives the feel of width, and of using the correct muscles in the right side. Once you put your left hand on, the right elbow cannot, obviously, stay as extended as both hands have to stay on the grip. However, you retain the correct feeling of the right arm extending against the resistance of the left arm.

When the right arm bends more than 90º in the backswing it will almost always cause throwaway. In his case the angle between the right forearm and right biceps is probably only around 65º causing a chain reaction and making it very difficult for the right arm to work correctly in the downswing.

If you fight overbend as I do/did Iteach had me think of keeping a straight right arm as long as possible on the takeaway.

Because my "case of the overbends" was very ingrained he went with this approach.

I hope Dana doesn't mind but this image above is from a video of one of his students and I use it as a mental image to help me (though I am not able to achieve her level of right arm straightness at the same point in the takeaway, I am 10X closer to where I want to be vs. where I was before).

Good stuff. Obviously the following is depending on the pattern you are working towards, but Ericka has her arm too straight there, and is working hard on flexing it earlier. While a good mental image for you, not a good model for you to be actually striving for. IF you got your pic to look exactly like hers you would probably find a whole new set of problems for yourself.

The left pic is her most recent. The changes are obvious.

erickap3.jpg

ETA-Photos by Dana Dahlquist, Comparison by Paul Gorman

Good stuff. Obviously the following is depending on the pattern you are working towards, but Ericka has her arm too straight there, and is working hard on flexing it earlier. While a good mental image for you, not a good model for you to be actually striving for. IF you got your pic to look exactly like hers you would probably find a whole new set of problems for yourself.

erickap3.jpg

Correct Logan. Did not want it actually that straight just a feel. His avatar is pretty close where we are working towards, just doing it everytime.

erickap3.jpg

Correct Logan. Did not want it actually that straight just a feel. His avatar is pretty close where we are working towards, just doing it everytime.

I like to take the whole bottle, even when one or two pills will do ! :lol: