Driving Range "Rules"

Do you folks understand what is meant by the "throat slashing" gesture. It simply means to stop what you are doing. You are all making it sound like something threatening...

The policy at the range is silly, move on and take your business elsewhere.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe most everyone is aware of what it means... even my 17 yr old son knows what it means.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' post='1982595' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:22 PM']I believe most everyone is aware of what it means... even my 17 yr old son knows what it means.[/quote]

Then why the responses that feel like he committed a capital offense by threatening the gentleman?

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

:clapping: there's another more common meaning for the same neck slice.
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='ZBigStick' post='1982467' date='Oct 1 2009, 01:14 PM']That is ludicrous! I agree with all of the previous posts. This a**. pro certainly does not know how to move up the ladder. It is certainly not by pissing off the membership.

I recently encountered two accomplished amateurs helping each other with their swings, but they failed to do so at a respectful volume. It was extremely distracting as there were few available stations to move away to. As you were alone on the range this would not be an issue, nor am I implying that you wouldn't be respectful of others, your situation just reminded me of that incident.[/quote]

At least you lucked out and got 'accomplished amatuers'.
If you're not bothering anyone, and it sounds like the OP wasn't, then that situation was handled very badly.
I seem to encounter guys who take business calls, well meaning drunks who like helping the asian ladies, and a cadre of guys who shout from stall to stall and from the benches !!
When I asked politely a couple of guys next to me one day that i was trying to work on something myself and that could they a least keep it down a bit cos its distracting, they were gobsmacked. This is LA tho ! but still this is where you would like the guuy who works at the facility to step in, not in the above case.

[quote name='kevcarter ' post='1982548' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:54 PM']Do you folks understand what is meant by the "throat slashing" gesture. It simply means to stop what you are doing. You are all making it sound like something threatening...

Kevin[/quote]

How can a 'throat slashing' gesture made by a stranger not be interpreted as threatening?

If I was walking my dog off the leash in a rough neighbourhood at night and saw a stranger making the same gesture should I assume they're simply indicating that my dog should be on a leash or that are they threatening me?

I agree that it's kind of insane to have a rule that prohibits giving ANY advice, since it's clearly intended to prevent people from giving lessons on the range, but all the vitriol against the assistant pro is overblown. Seriously? You'd threaten physical harm to someone who is just trying to do his job? Maybe he was trying to just stoke his ego, but it seems much more likely he is new in his position and wants to keep his job.

Don't try to see everyone as an enemy who is personally out to GET you, and try to look at it through his eyes. I think you'll see that most of the time people are just trying to do the right thing.

[quote name='dbren1' post='1982644' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:49 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='1982548' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:54 PM']Do you folks understand what is meant by the "throat slashing" gesture. It simply means to stop what you are doing. You are all making it sound like something threatening...

Kevin[/quote]

[b]How can a 'throat slashing' gesture made by a stranger not be interpreted as threatening?[/b]

If I was walking my dog off the leash in a rough neighbourhood at night and saw a stranger making the same gesture should I assume they're simply indicating that my dog should be on a leash or that are they threatening me?
[/quote]

You must have missed my explanation.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

At he beginnig of your post I thought it was going to be about you being too loud or disruptive...not about assisting your wife. You've done nothing wrong!

D - Ping G400 10.5* - Diamana Blueboard
3 - Callaway X2 Hot 15* - Diamana Blueboard
5 - Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 19* - Diamana Blueboard
3i - Ping G410 Crossover 20* Evenflow
4-PW - Mizuno MP60 - DG S300
53* & 60* - Mizuno MP-T - DG S300
P - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossi

[quote name='jak_bot' post='1982379' date='Oct 1 2009, 03:33 PM']How tall was the guy?[/quote]

Doesn't matter. 'Cause I been beat up by a lot bigger dumba**es than him. :man_in_love:

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='dbren1' post='1982644' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:49 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='1982548' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:54 PM']Do you folks understand what is meant by the "throat slashing" gesture. It simply means to stop what you are doing. You are all making it sound like something threatening...

Kevin[/quote]

How can a 'throat slashing' gesture made by a stranger not be interpreted as threatening?

[/quote]

I don't think you have to worry much about your throat being slashed from 75 yards away,

it's really the only gesture that signifies "cut it out" that you can use from distance

[quote name='harold baines' post='1982724' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:36 PM'][quote name='dbren1' post='1982644' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:49 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='1982548' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:54 PM']Do you folks understand what is meant by the "throat slashing" gesture. It simply means to stop what you are doing. You are all making it sound like something threatening...

Kevin[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think you have to worry much about your throat being slashed from 75 yards away,

it's really the only gesture that signifies "cut it out" that you can use from distance
[/quote]

Thank you, I was starting to feel like I was in the Twilight Zone, the theme music was even playing. :lol:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

It's when you look out of the window of a plane and an ugly face is staring back that you really need to worry Kev.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Do you folks understand what is meant by the "throat slashing" gesture. It simply means to stop what you are doing. You are all making it sound like something threatening...

Kevin

8ggtve9.gif

Yeah, this more common meaning is your dead. I doubt this fighter is saying stop what you are doing. He saying mess with me and suffer the consequences. This gesture is banned in the NBA and NFL. Should be banned in Hawaii on a driving range.

Not trying to start anything at all, KevCarter. Just that I would take it as a threat and unprofessional. Either it

The range apologizes or full refund.

Ed

Maybe if the assistant pro had watched a few more sitcoms growing up, he would have known how to properly execute this guesture in the correct manner. I'll let Wikipedia explain...

[b][i]Cut it out[/i][/b]
[i]Made famous by [/i][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Coulier"][i]Dave Coulier[/i][/url][i] on the children's television show [/i][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_Control_(TV_series)"][i]Out of Control[/i][/url][i] (and subsequently on the more popular TV series [/i][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_House"][i]Full House[/i][/url][i]), this gesture implies that one would like someone to stop doing whatever it is that they are doing, typically because it is destructive or annoying. It is a combination of three gestures each meant to emphasize one word of the phrase, which Coulier frequently emphasizes by speaking each word as he performs the corresponding gesture. It is given by first creating a scissors using your middle and index fingers ("cut"), followed by a generic "point" at the target ("it"), and finally finished with a single thumbs up retracted back to point behind oneself ("out", derived from a gesture [/i][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball"][i]baseball[/i][/url][i] umpires may use to indicate a player is out).

[/i]Maybe he will read this and then next time he'll know better.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Kevin

8ggtve9.gif

Yeah, this more common meaning is your dead. I doubt this fighter is saying stop what you are doing. He saying mess with me and suffer the consequences. This gesture is banned in the NBA and NFL. Should be banned in Hawaii on a driving range.

Not trying to start anything at all, KevCarter. Just that I would take it as a threat and unprofessional. Either it

Ed

I agree Ed, VERY unprofessional, rude, and a really silly rule when applied to unpaid swing help... I'm not sure why I felt the need to start posting in the thread, other than the fact that I didn't see this as a hanging offense, and felt that a lynch mob was being formed which I felt a little over the top. No offense taken Sir.

Cheers,

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' post='1982652' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:55 PM'][quote name='dbren1' post='1982644' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:49 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='1982548' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:54 PM']Do you folks understand what is meant by the "throat slashing" gesture. It simply means to stop what you are doing. You are all making it sound like something threatening...

Kevin[/quote]

[b]How can a 'throat slashing' gesture made by a stranger not be interpreted as threatening?[/b]

[/quote]

Kevin
[/quote]
Not at all, I just disagree with it. Waving a hand horzontally backwards and forwards in front of your neck would indicate a desire to 'kill an engine' when in a noisy environment for example. That, IMO, is not the same as a 'throat slashing' gesture (like the video posted) which is a much more threatening gesture.

Whatever gesture the asst. made it was completely inappropriate and would have warranted a complaint to his bosses, both the head pro & GM of the facility. Of course I'm biased by the fact that in my experience, assistant pros are decent golfers who have no interest in customer service and the retail/teaching aspects of being a golf pro but rather have the job so they can play free golf.

[quote name='OpusX20' post='1982751' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:48 PM']Maybe if the assistant pro had watched a few more sitcoms growing up, he would have known how to properly execute this guesture in the correct manner. I'll let Wikipedia explain...

[b][i]Cut it out[/i][/b]
[i]Made famous by [/i][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Coulier"][i]Dave Coulier[/i][/url][i] on the children's television show [/i][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_Control_(TV_series)"][i]Out of Control[/i][/url][i] (and subsequently on the more popular TV series [/i][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_House"][i]Full House[/i][/url][i]), this gesture implies that one would like someone to stop doing whatever it is that they are doing, typically because it is destructive or annoying. It is a combination of three gestures each meant to emphasize one word of the phrase, which Coulier frequently emphasizes by speaking each word as he performs the corresponding gesture. It is given by first creating a scissors using your middle and index fingers ("cut"), followed by a generic "point" at the target ("it"), and finally finished with a single thumbs up retracted back to point behind oneself ("out", derived from a gesture [/i][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball"][i]baseball[/i][/url][i] umpires may use to indicate a player is out).

[/i]Maybe he will read this and then next time he'll know better.[/quote]

Hmmm, I've never seen the gesture done that way, but I would also never admit to watching Full House. :lol:

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Just a thought, but why not save all the potential confusion by approaching the OP and his wife directly and saying 'Excuse me. I'm sorry to disturb you both but I'm a member of the teaching staff here at the facility. I don't know if you're aware of this, but there's actually a rule that prohibits customers from giving instruction whilst on the range...'

It would still be a ridiculous situation but at least it would show a grasp of common courtesy on the part of the staff member.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

[quote name='dbren1' post='1982766' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:58 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='1982652' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:55 PM'][quote name='dbren1' post='1982644' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:49 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='1982548' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:54 PM']Do you folks understand what is meant by the "throat slashing" gesture. It simply means to stop what you are doing. You are all making it sound like something threatening...

Kevin[/quote]

[/quote]

Kevin
[/quote]
Not at all, I just disagree with it. Waving a hand horzontally backwards and forwards in front of your neck would indicate a desire to 'kill an engine' when in a noisy environment for example. That, IMO, is not the same as a 'throat slashing' gesture (like the video posted) which is a much more threatening gesture.

Whatever gesture the asst. made it was completely inappropriate and would have warranted a complaint to his bosses, both the head pro & GM of the facility. Of course I'm biased by the fact [b]that in my experience, assistant pros are decent golfers who have no interest in customer service and the retail/teaching aspects of being a golf pro but rather have the job so they can play free golf.[/b]
[/quote]

... and there lies the problem, perception not based upon reality.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' post='1982769' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:59 PM'][quote name='OpusX20' post='1982751' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:48 PM']Maybe if the assistant pro had watched a few more sitcoms growing up, he would have known how to properly execute this guesture in the correct manner. I'll let Wikipedia explain...

[b][i]Cut it out[/i][/b]

Hmmm, I've never seen the gesture done that way, but I would also never admit to watching Full House. :lol:
[/quote]

Just because I knew exactly where to look this up doesn't mean I'm admitting to watching Full House. There's no way you could prove it in a court of law. Without picures, it didn't happen.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='OpusX20' post='1982776' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:02 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='1982769' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:59 PM'][quote name='OpusX20' post='1982751' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:48 PM']Maybe if the assistant pro had watched a few more sitcoms growing up, he would have known how to properly execute this guesture in the correct manner. I'll let Wikipedia explain...

[b][i]Cut it out[/i][/b]

[/quote]

Just because I knew exactly where to look this up doesn't mean I'm admitting to watching Full House. There's no way you could prove it in a court of law. Without picures, it didn't happen.
[/quote]

Whew, that's a relief! :lol:

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='mat562' post='1982739' date='Oct 1 2009, 05:43 PM']It's when you look out of the window of a plane and an ugly face is staring back that you really need to worry Kev.[/quote]

Mat, that was the first episode I ever watched as a kid, it still gives me nightmares!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Kevin

8ggtve9.gif

Ed

Sorry but how do you equate a mixed martial artists gesture in the ring , to a camera no less, to a rude gesture that we first started talking about, which was clearly meant to convey 'cut it out', or 'desist'. i think no one doubts this was rude and tactless but to infer that the numbskull who did it was threatening is going a bit far in that context don't you think ?? i know its banned in the context of combatative sports like football, but its still used in TV studios, production lines, and tons of other places to mean just that. Iwould argue that the more common usage is to stop, especially in this context. Its unprofessional and extremely discourteous yes but its a bit beligerent to say that the range attendant is threatening you with harm don't you think ? Really this discussion should be about range etiqette and policy, not social semiotics.

Point taken. The point of discussion was the rule about coaching or lessons at the range. Even if you agree with the rule, I "think" we all agree it was not handled properly.

Sorry if I over reacted. :aggressive: