2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

clubfitter said my lie angle should be 6 degrees up

adambommb29

I can't believe it...
I'm 6'5 and I'm an 8 handicap. I just recently picked up a new set of Cleveland CG Reds and I'm about to send them to Cleveland to get bent upright and lengthened. I got fit for today for my lie angle. While hitting a club that was an inch longer than standard and 3* upright, I was still hitting off the toe. The fitter said that I would probably need my clubs to be 6* upright. SIX DEGREES! This was at a Trackman facility and the monitor showed that I have a good swing path and I'm hitting the ball in the middle of the club face. I think this is either a grip issue or a setup issue for these numbers to be so far off. Does anyone have any recommendations? Are there any youtube videos to help me? Has anyone else encountered anything like this before? I can't believe it.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My clubs were 5 degrees upright when I bought them. When I took them in to have them looked at I was told they were the most off they had ever seen from a standard set. I'm 5' 10 and the guy said they might have worked for me if I was 6' 6.

Having them bent to normal made everything so much easier.

*not a club fitter*

setup is likely not an issue because despite how one sets up (ie hands lower) generally most golfers will still have their "normal angles" through impact...Perhaps standing further away from the ball might make some difference but without seeing your setup i have no idea (perhaps consulting a pro might be best)...if you said you are hitting the ball solidly that likely you just stand tall (and are tall) and have high hands (maybe steep) through impact...

as to going 6* upright i think you might want to consider ball flight too...do you fight a draw/pull or a push slice and also what is your desired trajectory...

for example i am standard but i bend all my clubs 2* flat because I prefer them to have a right bias to them (and I hate seeing the toe up at address)...If you have played standard clubs all your life and are a decent ball striker going 6* is going to take some adjustment...anyway i think too many people just hit on a lie board and see the marks without regard to ball flight dynamics/preferences in deciding lie angle

anyway just my two cents...

[quote name='adambommb29' post='2117613' date='Dec 10 2009, 11:36 PM']I'm 6'5 and I'm an 8 handicap. I just recently picked up a new set of Cleveland CG Reds and I'm about to send them to Cleveland to get bent upright and lengthened. I got fit for today for my lie angle. While hitting a club that was an inch longer than standard and 3* upright, I was still hitting off the toe. The fitter said that I would probably need my clubs to be 6* upright. SIX DEGREES! This was at a Trackman facility and the monitor showed that I have a good swing path and I'm hitting the ball in the middle of the club face. I think this is either a grip issue or a setup issue for these numbers to be so far off. Does anyone have any recommendations? Are there any youtube videos to help me? Has anyone else encountered anything like this before? I can't believe it.[/quote]
To begin with; when you were still hitting off the toe, was the ball flight going to the right? The mark and ball flight should match. You can have a toe mark with the face closed and have the ball fly fairly straight (this is a compensation).
As far as "[i]6 degrees up"[/i], if you consider what 6 degrees really is, it's not too hard to believe. Six degrees, look at your watch and see one minute past 12 - that's 6 degrees. Not very much, is it? Also the effective lie angle is what is important, which is the combination of length plus lie angle. Every 1/2" = 1 degree.

I am 6'5" as well and am playing 1" long and 2* upright. If you are an 8 hc with clubs that are not 6* upright I would figure out the difference in the base lie between the different sticks. Length will make them a little more upright anyway. If you are not playing upright and have gotten to an 8 I would be suspicious that something else is going on here. I personally have never heard of someone with 6* and I play with some big dudes. Unless those irons are exceptionally flat. Good luck to you

Personally, I can see a guy that is LEGIT 6'6" needing +1 and 6* up. I am a legit 6'1", and I am taller than many guys that call themselves 6'3" if you know what I am saying. At 6'1", and I have wide shoulders too, I play +1/2" and 2* up. I always laugh at guys that measure the wrist to floor. That is fairly meaningless. I tried to explain this to this "Pro" at Golf Galaxy one day. He was 6'4" according to him, and about one inch taller than me. I told him I would need to order a set because I play +1/2 2 * up etc. He tells me I do not need those measurements. Which I have been fitted for twice using the highest tech methods in the industry, and a TM tour fitting facility which both fitted me the same.

He then stands beside me and says, " I play standard length and our wrists are about the same". Well, he probably weighed about 185 lbs and was a rail, and his shoulders were literally about half the width of mine. I played fullback in college and I weigh around 260 lbs. I know, I need to drop 30 lbs. But, the point being, even if both of our arms do hang from the ground the exact some distance, and my shoulders are twice as wide as his, then OBVIOUSLY when we both put our hands together and bend the same amount from the waist, my hands are going to be father from the ground than his are because my arms form a triangle with my shoulders at a much different angle than his. So, wrist to the floor is not always so meaningful if your have wide or narrow shoulders.

Now, back to you. Did you hit a club that was +1" and 6* up? What was that club doing? It may be too hard for Cleveland to bend the clubs 6*.

I have a buddy that is a LEGIT 6'5" that played college golf, and was fit by Charles Sorrells in Atlanta, Golf Digest Top 100 guy, and he played +1" and 5* up and the clubs fit him perfectly.

I would think you need to hit a club that is +1" and 6* up some where. Get a second opinion before you invest in new clubs, but it sounds like you just did. I can see it possible. Especially if you have wide shoulders to go with your 6'6".

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Nice post above about the shoulder width. I see that. My arms are disproportionately short to height combined with sloping shoulders. I feel I have problems having "room" for my arms and at the same time getting the club to the ground without a crazy steep lie angle.

The problem with dynamic fitting: if your swing is bad you get bad results. If you think you have a good swing then I would believe it...if you come over the top and often hit pulls or slices then the 6* may be too much/compensating for a steep downswing.

By the way, Scott Hoch used to play the most upright clubs on tour at 4 degrees. When I saw him back then (~1999) he appeared a legit 5-11.

[quote name='Hstead' post='2119973' date='Dec 12 2009, 12:38 AM']Personally, I can see a guy that is LEGIT 6'6" needing +1 and 6* up. I am a legit 6'1", and I am taller than many guys that call themselves 6'3" if you know what I am saying. At 6'1", and I have wide shoulders too, I play +1/2" and 2* up. I always laugh at guys that measure the wrist to floor. That is fairly meaningless. I tried to explain this to this "Pro" at Golf Galaxy one day. He was 6'4" according to him, and about one inch taller than me. I told him I would need to order a set because I play +1/2 2 * up etc. He tells me I do not need those measurements. Which I have been fitted for twice using the highest tech methods in the industry, and a TM tour fitting facility which both fitted me the same.

He then stands beside me and says, " I play standard length and our wrists are about the same". Well, he probably weighed about 185 lbs and was a rail, and his shoulders were literally about half the width of mine. I played fullback in college and I weigh around 260 lbs. I know, I need to drop 30 lbs. But, the point being, even if both of our arms do hang from the ground the exact some distance, and my shoulders are twice as wide as his, then OBVIOUSLY when we both put our hands together and bend the same amount from the waist, my hands are going to be father from the ground than his are because my arms form a triangle with my shoulders at a much different angle than his. So, wrist to the floor is not always so meaningful if your have wide or narrow shoulders.

Now, back to you. Did you hit a club that was +1" and 6* up? What was that club doing? It may be too hard for Cleveland to bend the clubs 6*.

I have a buddy that is a LEGIT 6'5" that played college golf, and was fit by Charles Sorrells in Atlanta, Golf Digest Top 100 guy, and he played +1" and 5* up and the clubs fit him perfectly.

I would think you need to hit a club that is +1" and 6* up some where. Get a second opinion before you invest in new clubs, but it sounds like you just did. I can see it possible. Especially if you have wide shoulders to go with your 6'6".[/quote]

i agree completely, I'm 18 and legit 6'1" but im only 165lbs haha. i have very long arms but i do have fairly wide shoulders so my club length come's out to standard. I stand fairly upright i suppose, but i have my irons bent to 1* flat cause i like a slight right bias. but like you said WTF doesnt really matter. 6* upright? i can believe it, especially with how tall you are. neways 6 degrees is hardly anything, no joke a guy who comes to the course where i work told me one day his irons are 9* flat, how you bend them that much without them breaking is beyond me, but they were pretty flat, and the guy is like 5'2" he pretty stubby lol. i unno again without actually seeing you hit balls i cant make this decision, but if itll make u feel better get a second opinion. just my $0.02 tho, good luck with whatever you choose man :D

[b][u]WITB:[/u][/b]

[b]Taylormade M3[/b] 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70-TX tipped 1 1/2 in.

[b]Taylormade SLDR Mini-Driver[/b] 12* Matrix Black 8M3 tipped 1 1/2 in.

[b]Taylormade P790[/b] 2-5i DG Tour Issue X100

[b]Taylormade P730[/b] 6-PW DG Tour Issue X100

[b]Vokey SM8[/b] 54M & 60M

[b]Giannini G-1[/b]

[b]Vice Pro+[/b] [color=#ff0000]Neon Red [/color]

Adam:

How was your lie angle determined?
Did you hit balls off of a lie board?

Can he put together one club...6 iron perhaps...for you to hit?
(If he is any good...confident of his judgment.....he should let you try one first.)
Go to the range and check your divots and ball flight. That will tell you a lot.

I'm also 6'6" with long arms (38" inch sleeve length) and a +1.9 Index.
My 6 iron is 38" long and 64.5 lie angle.
I have had all of my clubs fitted/adjusted/analyzed by a good club fitter. He has all/most of the latest gear and I believe my game has improved because of his help. I would recommend it to anyone serious about the game. You can really learn a lot about your golf game by going through the process.

Post the length and lie angle of your new fitted 6 iron and the guys here will be able to help you better.
(Often club makers have different standards so more precise info should help.)

Good Luck either way.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

I am 6' 6" and play my clubs at +2" and 4* up, so it's possible. When you have long arms and height, the impact position might really be 6* up.

The biggest factor I see as a tall person is that once you get past the 6' tall range, nothing is really fitted for you. So as I have developed my game, I have grown up adapting to the clubs instead of the other way around. Now that I have flipped the table I have started to see what my numbers really are.

Legit 6'2" here with average shoulders (I guess) and actually play clubs 1/2 inch long and 1* down (thinking about going down another * or 2) with actually a bit too flat of swing... Works for me coming from a hockey shot... I would probably verify with at least one other fitting before I ordered anything too extreme, but it could be a mix of body type and swing style.

I've actually had the same thing happen. So i went to a simulator over the winter that one of my friends owned. He was a licensed henry griffits club fitter, and a very good golfer. I set up a club fitting session and figured i would have my clubs tuned up in less than a week. WRONG!! I hit a few balls, and they are all off the toe. 1 degree upright; off the toe. 2 degrees upright; off the toe. 4; off the toe. all going right. so we go to longer clubs. 1/2 inch long, 2 upright; off the toe. 1 inch long; off the toe. I got to the point where i was hitting 2 inch long, 6 degree upright clubs off the toe and right. Turns out my swing path was really far inside. Point is, i think can happen if your swing is unique enough