2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Sandhills, NC Golf Trip - April 2010

peteguys

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have excellent weather, with the potential of bad! Your course selections are excellent without breaking the bank. A friend played Southern Pines CC this fall and said it was perfect. I love that layout. Legacy nice with some very good holes. MidPines fine place, one of my favorites.
You will have a great time. Go to the PineCrest Inn for cocktails-or just to see what is happening. Raffelles (sp) on US 1 in SP/Aberdeen is good food. Guy I know owns the Japanese steakhouse/sushi bar in Pinehurst. You should enjoy that too.

another vote for Tobacco Road. One of my favorite places!

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

Sand Hills is my dream golf course to play someday...

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Southern Pines GC is on the "plain side", but really is a very good Donald Ross track. Be aware that almost all the greens are two-level and being on the wrong level is never a good thing. Also it is on the short side, but still a very good lay-out.

The Pit is an interesting course if you are wanting to add one. [url="http://www.pitgolf.com/"]http://www.pitgolf.com/[/url]

dave

[quote name='AltusBeliever' post='2134386' date='Dec 19 2009, 08:20 PM']I, for one, would not play The Carolina. I would quit golf first. In fact, I would rather watch soccer on TV then play there. It may be the worst golf course I have ever played. Clearly the worst for a place that tries to bill itself as a place to play.[/quote]

What so bad about it? It can be pricey w/o a coupon. But, they run plenty of those.
So, I believe it is a good track for 39-49 bucks - riding.

Mid April weather should be great, your course selection is good, with Mid Pines one of my all time favorites in town. Mid Pines and Southern Pines CC are classic old Ross designs. Dugans Pub, and the Pinecrest Inn, in the Village of Pinehurst are great for drinks and dinner.

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote]I, for one, would not play The Carolina. I would quit golf first. In fact, I would rather watch soccer on TV then play there. It may be the worst golf course I have ever played. Clearly the worst for a place that tries to bill itself as a place to play.[/quote]

I played the Carolina when I was there. I actually enjoyed it alot. I had the entire practice area all to myself for about 2 hours. Grass range too! Then I played 18 for about $35 if I remember right. Probably not the best track in the area but I sure had a great time.

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where the bad blood on The Carolina came from. It is one of my favorite area courses, a great value, and I have played nearly all of them. My brand new favorite is Tot Hill Farm. It is near Asheboro out in the country. Perhaps 40-45 minutes from Southern Pines but a very easy drive. A wonderful rolling hills course with some elevated tee shots, manicured fairways, and immaculate greens. Don't go there and expect to shoot you lowest scores, but it is fun with capital letters man. It is an absolute fantastic golf course. Check out the website. You have picked some fairly mundane courses in my opinion with Mid-Pines being the exception. Nice golf course and I would play that one for sure if I were you. Legacy and Southern Pines are OK. Much better golf could be had at Tot Hill Farm, Little River, Tobacco Road, The Pit, and The Carolina. Favorites listed first in order and descending out of those five. Not sure if you have a preset package and all, but if you have flexibility, I suggest you check out some of these courses rather than Southern Pines and Legacy. In doing so, you will be playing some of the best courses in the area without doubt.

[quote name='peteguys' post='2126608' date='Dec 15 2009, 12:21 PM']I am included in a group of 12 heading down to Pinehurst in mid-April 2010. We will be playing Legacy, Mid Pines, and Southern Pines GC. Any thoughts/input on selected courses and/or anticipated weather and playing conditions?[/quote]

All three courses are solid selections, would go back and play any of them no question.

We've gone the first week of April the last few years and the weather has been very good. It can vary quite a bit, so definitely bring layers, but it's not exactly unusual for it to be up into the 70s. Playing conditions will probably be a bit better for you going a week or two later - it's going to depend on how spring is coming along. In general, though, they should be just fine.

Ha ha ha....

I am "local" and love the course. Everyone I know plays this course. It is one of the top ten in the area for the average weekend golfing crowds. As for "par 4's longer than par 5's", your memory has failed you my friend. With that said, we all have different preferences on what constitutes a good golf course. I certainly respect your opinion as to what you like. Just pointing out that it may not reflect the impression of others.

Below are the scorecards:)

[url="http://www.thecarolina.com/course-tour"]http://www.thecarolina.com/course-tour[/url]

I went to nearby Methodist College in the early 90's and Mid-Pines and Southern Pines are two of my all time favorites. Southern Pines was private back then went by Southern Pines Elks Club. You might also want to consider Pine Needles (right across the road), Talamore (right down the road) and Pinehurst National. Legacy is nice Jack Nicklaus II course and would definitely play it again if I were in town. Another course which I frequented and absolutely love is Woodlake CC in Vass. The Maples course is an absolute gem and the newer Palmer course is no slouch either. I'm envious, I haven't been back since college and still claim that the Sandhills of NC is God's gift to golf. No place better on earth in my humble opinion.

I agree with most on here that you have a good selection. Mid Pines is one of my all time favorite courses- from the history of the clubhouse, the golf staff and the course itself, you are in for a treat. If they have the greens in good shape (being April, it should be) you will be in for a challenge. It isn't a bombers course, short par 4's and 5's, but if you are on the wrong side of the pin you will be kicking yourself. Hopefully for you, the azaleas and dogwoods will be in bloom, it makes the course that much more beautiful.

As for Tobacco Road, you should add that course to your rotation if you haven't played it before. It is fun to experience it once (very difficult, a lot of blind shots), but don't plan on scoring well.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Pinehurst and will add my 2 cents--Play Pine Needles rather than or in addition to Mid Pines--National is not worth playing--goofy greens--real tricked up---Mid South is a real good course as is Talamore--The Southern Pines Elks club is a pretty neat layout--from what I understand it is the only local Donald Ross course that has not been altered--I have not played Tot Hill Farms but it is supposed to be great--and I would not miss Tobacco Road. Legacy is ok but also has several goofy holes.

Also looking to go in April.

Tentative plans:
1. Pine Needles or Pinewild CC
2. Mid South
3. Woodlake

The choice between PN and PW may come down to cost - we always like to play one top end course but there are limits. Probably going to be PN though.

Still need a couple of reround courses - will probably play Southern Pines again, great value and a nice course.

Any other suggestions or replacements? Especially places we haven't played - have played: Mid Pines, Hyland, Longleaf, Talamore, The Pit, The Carolina, Little River, Tobacco Road, Southern Pines, Foxfire (both courses), Legacy, National, Pinehurst #1, Anderson Creek and Whispering Pines CC.

I'd like to try Tot Hill Farm but not sure if it works with our schedule - it doesn't sound like the place for your first swing in four plus months...

[quote name='BugsyinNC' date='03 February 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1265222548' post='2225007']
Played Hyland twice in the last month. They did a very nice job out there and the greens are in very good shape. Worth a visit. Currently only charging $30, not sure how long that will last.
[/quote]

Cool, Bugsy. Has HH made any changes? It was one of my favorite courses. About, 10 years ago it was in prime condition. Then with several owners - they sucked the
life out of it and the course went to pot.

[quote name='TheF5key' date='03 February 2010 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1265220580' post='2224937']

Any other suggestions or replacements? Especially places we haven't played - have played: Mid Pines, Hyland, Longleaf, Talamore, The Pit, The Carolina, Little River, Tobacco Road, Southern Pines, Foxfire (both courses), Legacy, National, Pinehurst #1, Anderson Creek and Whispering Pines CC.

I'd like to try Tot Hill Farm but not sure if it works with our schedule - it doesn't sound like the place for your first swing in four plus months...
[/quote]

For the higher tier course on your trip, Pine Needles would be hard to beat. The Pit is a fun layout and well maintained. Same could be said for Tobacco Road, but it is a bit of "trick" golf. Target golf would be putting it kindly. It is plain ole tricky on some holes. But fun, and you would enjoy it if you have never played it. Tot Hill is another Stranz design and is better than Tobacco Road in every way. Little River is one of my favorite area courses. Foxfire is a traditional layout and very good. I like the east and west courses myself. I LOVE Tot Hill Farm and played it a few weeks back while home in NC. It has become my favorite area course. I work out of state on Nantucket and get home to NC every few months. Back on island last night and already missing NC. Well, we had quite a bit of snow and ice last week in NC, but the week before that it was in the mid 60's everyday. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want any insights into courses or the area. Happy to tell you anything I can.

-Dan

[quote name='aslan' date='30 January 2010 - 11:27 AM' timestamp='1264868866' post='2214279']
anyone play Hyland Hills , Hwy 1 in So. Pines,since it reopened?
[/quote]

Buddy of mine plays it every week and says it looks good. Glad someone took it over and picked things up a bit. What a great course, can't believe bad management ran it in the ground and into bankruptcy last year. Sounds like Hyland Hills is on the upswing for sure. Was to play it last week, but weather forced us to cancel. Great layout and a great price. That is why it is a favorite of so many in the area. Also, it is just plain ole fun:)

Mr. F5Key,

I have played Mid South and both courses at Pinewild. Both tracks at Pinewild were okay (the Player design the lesser of the two) and were in great shape, but only a few holes had any real 'wow' factor and I have a hard time remembering specifics about either course.

I really like Mid South - but, I tend to like Arnie's designs, anyway. Extreme bermuda rough was ... er, fun.

[quote name='aslan' date='03 February 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1265249701' post='2225979']
[quote name='BugsyinNC' date='03 February 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1265222548' post='2225007']
Played Hyland twice in the last month. They did a very nice job out there and the greens are in very good shape. Worth a visit. Currently only charging $30, not sure how long that will last.
[/quote]

Cool, Bugsy. Has HH made any changes? It was one of my favorite courses. About, 10 years ago it was in prime condition. Then with several owners - they sucked the
[/quote]

Greens were expanded. They are going to get them running real fast later in the year, should be really fun putting on them. There are some new tees (total 6900 yards from the back), and some trees were removed. A very fun course at a good price.

[quote name='danattherock' date='04 February 2010 - 01:56 AM' timestamp='1265266580' post='2226515']
[quote name='aslan' date='30 January 2010 - 11:27 AM' timestamp='1264868866' post='2214279']
anyone play Hyland Hills , Hwy 1 in So. Pines,since it reopened?
[/quote]

Buddy of mine plays it every week and says it looks good. Glad someone took it over and picked things up a bit. What a great course, can't believe bad management ran it in the ground and into bankruptcy last year. Sounds like Hyland Hills is on the upswing for sure. Was to play it last week, but weather forced us to cancel. Great layout and a great price. That is why it is a favorite of so many in the area. Also, it is just plain ole fun:)
[/quote]

I agree Dan. Even if you are slightly off track, off the tee, all you needs is a low runner off the pine needles, a chip and a putt for par. Not bad, when your drive
is off line!

[quote name='BugsyinNC' date='04 February 2010 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1265331459' post='2228131']
[quote name='aslan' date='03 February 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1265249701' post='2225979']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Greens were expanded. They are going to get them running real fast later in the year, should be really fun putting on them. There are some new tees (total 6900 yards from the back), and some trees were removed. A very fun course at a good price.
[/quote]

Looking forward to returning there. All courses, should be as playable as ol' HH

Pine Needles is so much better than PineWild. The redo at Needles is great. Course was great before and now even better. I have played both PineWild courses. Like Magnolia the best but no hurry to go back to either one. I just hope the weather is better by the time you come! Horrible this winter.