2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Anyone hit the Epon AF 302's

oneaugusta

I love the look of this club, compact minimal offset with a great design. I am really close to buying myself a new Christmas present but would love to hear some comments. I have never hit an Epon iron but I've heard nothing but positive comments, I have hit and owned some Miura TM Lehman's and own two of the Miura Black wedges. Any comments appreciated.

Cheers

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a set of the 301's. (see avatar)

I also have a 7 iron of the 302's. Yes, just the 7 iron.

Finally shafted it up a couple of days a go and hit it at the driving range today.

I don't think it's as big of an improvement over the 301's the way the 502's are a big improvement over the 501's.

BUT, very hard to improve over the 301's. Anyway, the club is solid, very forgiving for a Players CB. I don't think you can find a club that would feel any better to you.

Simply put, if this is the style/type of Iron you're looking for you can't go wrong.

[quote name='idrive' post='2136390' date='Dec 21 2009, 12:17 AM']I have a set of the 301's. (see avatar)

I also have a 7 iron of the 302's. Yes, just the 7 iron.

Finally shafted it up a couple of days a go and hit it at the driving range today.

I don't think it's as big of an improvement over the 301's the way the 502's are a big improvement over the 501's.

BUT, very hard to improve over the 301's. Anyway, the club is solid, very forgiving for a Players CB. I don't think you can find a club that would feel any better to you.

Simply put, if this is the style/type of Iron you're looking for you can't go wrong.[/quote]
Thanks for your input, that's really what I was hoping, that it was at least as good as the 301's. I have tried one of of the new offerings (mizzy MP 62's) but always seem to go back to my Srixon I302's that is why the Epon's 302's really caught my attention, first they are JDM, second they are a similar design like the Srixon's. I'll probably buy them.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S

Byron Rincon DH89

[quote name='b_riedy' post='2137901' date='Dec 21 2009, 10:07 PM']What type of sole (bounce) do these irons have? I also love the feel of more mass behind the sweet spot of a players cavity back....I have a set of AR-1s on order and my last set were Mizuno T-Zoid Pros![/quote]
Lots of pics on the Epon website but the tourspecgolf website gives the best pics of the sole

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S

Byron Rincon DH89

[quote name='corky' post='2138937' date='Dec 22 2009, 01:59 PM']So which would you buy 301s or 302s ???????[/quote]

I think both the AF 301's and the 302's are great but I am buying the AF 302's just because I like the design a little better and they have a little less offset, as a matter of fact I just placed the order and they may be in next week

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S

Byron Rincon DH89

[quote name='idrive' post='2141606' date='Dec 24 2009, 12:23 AM']My set will be here in about a week. I'm having the finish done in Satin.

I hit the 7 iron again today at the driving range. I was hitting the ball really good and even with the cold, hard as a rock range balls the feel was amazing.[/quote]
Maybe you can chime in on this but the only concern I have is that the grooves will be a little wimpy. I haven't seen one in person to form an opinion but I do know they conform to the new groove rule. I really haven't concerned myself and don't kow all the details of the rule change with but I really didn't plan to buy new irons.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S

Byron Rincon DH89

Don't worry about the grooves. I'll be surprised if you notice much if any difference. The driving range where I practice has mowed circles with flags. It was very evident that the ball were spinning just fine.

IMO, the new balls coming out will take care of any "wimpy" grooves if getting enough spin on the ball is a problem.

[quote name='idrive' post='2141606' date='Dec 23 2009, 10:23 PM']My set will be here in about a week. I'm having the finish done in Satin.

I hit the 7 iron again today at the driving range. I was hitting the ball really good and even with the cold, hard as a rock range balls the feel was amazing.[/quote]

Is there a upcharge for having them done in Satin?

No upcharge. I have ordered a combo set (4-7 in the 302, 8-PW in the AF Tour) in satin finish with the lofts adjusted to eliminate the gaps, plus some other custom mods. Only upcharges are for KBS shafts, Iomic grips, etc. They will even soft or hard step the shafts for you at the factory if you like.

[quote name='Leonardp' post='2142984' date='Dec 24 2009, 08:37 PM']No upcharge. I have ordered a combo set (4-7 in the 302, 8-PW in the AF Tour) in satin finish with the lofts adjusted to eliminate the gaps, plus some other custom mods. Only upcharges are for KBS shafts, Iomic grips, etc. They will even soft or hard step the shafts for you at the factory if you like.[/quote]

Thats cool, I'm trying to decide between a set of the 302s or Scratch AR-1s. How did you have
the lofts adjusted to eliminate the gaps, I was thinking about that same combo?

I'm exploring the same setup as Leonardp, but I've tried to find some good pics of the 502 and 302 at address. The pictures that I have seen on the net and TSG suggest that there may be more offset than I'm comfortable with to include the 502 in a combo set. I haven't inquired if "zero offset" was a possible custom option, as it is with Scratch's entire iron line. However, I found the following pics at address that suggest the 502's offset might be acceptable. Unfortunately again, some pictures appear to show less offset, others more, depending on the pics angle.

I love my 301's, but really was hoping the 302 has less offset. A slightly noticeable difference in offset makes a difference to me. The pics of the 302 at address looks very appealing.

Brian

[attachment=512914:Epon_AF_...02_soles.jpg][attachment=512913:Epon_AF_..._toplin
e.jpg][attachment=512912:Epon_AF_..._topline.jpg]

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

MY SPECS, Epon Combo set:
>AF302 #4 - 7 iron
>Epon AF-Tour #8 - PW
>Shaft: NSPRO 1050 Stiff flex (soft-stepped once)
>Length: Standard length (37.75 inch 5 iron)
>Lie angle: ½ degree upright
>Swing weight: 4-7 D-2 8-PW D-3.
>Loft: weaken the lofts on the 302's by 1* and strengthen the lofts on the Tours by 1* to keep the gaps even.
>Finish: Satin.
>Grips: Epon standard, one wrap of tape.

[quote name='Leonardp' post='2143622' date='Dec 25 2009, 01:49 PM']MY SPECS, Epon Combo set:
>AF302 #4 - 7 iron
>Epon AF-Tour #8 - PW
>Shaft: NSPRO 1050 Stiff flex (soft-stepped once)
>Length: Standard length (37.75 inch 5 iron)
>Lie angle: ½ degree upright
>Swing weight: 4-7 D-2 8-PW D-3.
>Loft: weaken the lofts on the 302's by 1* and strengthen the lofts on the Tours by 1* to keep the gaps even.
>Finish: Satin.
>Grips: Epon standard, one wrap of tape.[/quote]

How do the nippons play to flex? I've been playing steelfiber 110s s-flex in my ar-1s, but i'm looking for
more feel from a shaft. I was thinking about the super peening orange or the 1150s.

[quote name='Leonardp' post='2142984' date='Dec 24 2009, 08:37 PM']No upcharge. I have ordered a combo set (4-7 in the 302, 8-PW in the AF Tour) in satin finish with the lofts adjusted to eliminate the gaps, plus some other custom mods. Only upcharges are for KBS shafts, Iomic grips, etc. They will even soft or hard step the shafts for you at the factory if you like.[/quote]

At this moment I must disagree with the no upcharge for the satin finish.

I strongly suggest that you make sure you are getting the Satin not the Nicri (standard) finish.

It is an additional $50 per head for Satin finish.

[quote name='idrive' post='2144933' date='Dec 26 2009, 07:54 PM'][quote name='Leonardp' post='2142984' date='Dec 24 2009, 08:37 PM']No upcharge. I have ordered a combo set (4-7 in the 302, 8-PW in the AF Tour) in satin finish with the lofts adjusted to eliminate the gaps, plus some other custom mods. Only upcharges are for KBS shafts, Iomic grips, etc. They will even soft or hard step the shafts for you at the factory if you like.[/quote]

At this moment I must disagree with the no upcharge for the satin finish.

I strongly suggest that you make sure you are getting the Satin not the Nicri (standard) finish.

It is an additional $50 per head for Satin finish.
[/quote]

Wow, that is a HUGE upcharge for satin at $50/head.

Finally there is an in depth review from Tourspec on the Epon AF 302's, here's the link.
[url="http://www.golftoimpress.com/?source=newsletter"]http://www.golftoimpress.com/?source=newsletter[/url]
Mine will be shipped out today and after reading the review I think these will be everything I am looking for.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S

Byron Rincon DH89

[quote name='oneaugusta' post='2148876' date='Dec 29 2009, 09:53 AM']Finally there is an in depth review from Tourspec on the Epon AF 302's, here's the link.
[url="http://www.golftoimpress.com/?source=newsletter"]http://www.golftoimpress.com/?source=newsletter[/url]
Mine will be shipped out today and after reading the review I think these will be everything I am looking for.[/quote]

What shafts did you go with??

[quote name='idrive' post='2149093' date='Dec 29 2009, 02:02 PM'][quote name='oneaugusta' post='2148876' date='Dec 29 2009, 09:53 AM']Finally there is an in depth review from Tourspec on the Epon AF 302's, here's the link.
Mine will be shipped out today and after reading the review I think these will be everything I am looking for.[/quote]

What shafts did you go with??
[/quote]
I am doing the shaft work myself and am going with Nippon 1150 spined, floed with hardwood dowel treatment

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S

Byron Rincon DH89

I wish I could hit a few demo irons from EPON those 302's look amazing. There are just so many good looking irons out there at the moment, decisions decisions!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

I received my AF 302 heads late last week and spent the W/E putting them together, [b]MY GOSH[/b] do these look good at address, they remind me of the TM 300 Lehman Box Toes when you look down at them. I haven't got to hit them yet but have chipped on the carpet and they feel very soft and super solid, now all I have to do is wait for a few months for the deep freeze to let up. I can post some pics if anyone wants me to.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S

Byron Rincon DH89

[quote name='oneaugusta' post='2160393' date='Jan 4 2010, 05:36 PM']I received my AF 302 heads late last week and spent the W/E putting them together, [b]MY GOSH[/b] do these look good at address, they remind me of the TM 300 Lehman Box Toes when you look down at them. I haven't got to hit them yet but have chipped on the carpet and they feel very soft and super solid, now all I have to do is wait for a few months for the deep freeze to let up. I can post some pics if anyone wants me to.[/quote]

Love to see some pictures!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

[quote name='oneaugusta' post='2160393' date='Jan 4 2010, 10:36 AM']I received my AF 302 heads late last week and spent the W/E putting them together, [b]MY GOSH[/b] do these look good at address, they remind me of the TM 300 Lehman Box Toes when you look down at them. I haven't got to hit them yet but have chipped on the carpet and they feel very soft and super solid, now all I have to do is wait for a few months for the deep freeze to let up. I can post some pics if anyone wants me to.[/quote]

Love to see the pics, still trying to decide between the 302s or the Scratch ar-1s!

[quote name='golf4fun' post='2161501' date='Jan 4 2010, 06:40 PM']Love to see the pics, still trying to decide between the 302s or the Scratch ar-1s![/quote]

Take a seat Scratch fans.... I hit these two side by side a couple of days a go. Everyone that was there came up with the same conclusion.

The AF302's are miles ahead of the AR-1's

They are an original design, not a catalog blank.

They look better

They feel better on flushed and mis hit shots.

They are more forgiving

They just have more technology. Forged by the (arguably) finest forging house on the Planet.

And that's just the way it is.