2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

R9 TP vs. R9 TP B Irons

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Spud2409' date='22 January 2010 - 04:14 PM' timestamp='1264194851' post='2197513']
I also heard from my TM rep that not very many are using the B heads because most guys on tour can't hit them?
[/quote]
Most guys can't hit them?!?!
These are the BEST ball strikers on the planet!
If they cant hit them, who can?

[quote name='Spud2409' date='22 January 2010 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1264203041' post='2197777']
With them having no offset or onset, they would be difficult for most of them to hit high enough now that they have change the grooves. Not that they bad ballstrikers.
[/quote]
im pretty sure the pros can hit the ball high if they want to and out of the fairway the grooves don't make that big of a difference from what I remember reading about the testing of the new grooves

G430 Max 10K 9* w/Tensei Orange 1K 70TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro White 70TX
TSr3 18* w/Tensei AV Raw White 85TX 2.0

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/MMT 125TX

W/S Forged 50* w/DG S400

Mg4 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Spider S
TP5X 24'

it may have nothing to do with the grooves and everything to do with the fact that many just don't like them.....then again, who knows?

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

[quote name='LPM' date='22 January 2010 - 05:37 PM' timestamp='1264210673' post='2198023']
surely most of the tour players aren't playing the same sledgehammer being offered from the rack with that awful looking topline, the retail r9 tp's feel terrible in my opinion
[/quote]

For sure mixed reviews of the R9 TP's... off the rack and tour TP's but, there are some still playing them. I bagged the B's myself but, did have the TP's as well and I did get use to the feel. Just like the TP B's from last year, the R9 B's are not that difficult to hit. Good ball strikers will not mind and others will go toward the more forgiving R9 TP's. They do have 3 different models of the B's this year and the PGA Tour players will fit somewhere between those.

Cobra Dark Speed 10.5*
Cobra Dark Speed 14.5
Cobra Dark Speed 3HB 19.0* 
Cobra Dark Speed 4-P - UST recoil DART
Cobra KING raw 51* 
Cobra KING raw 58* 
Cameron CT SSS Newport 350G

[quote name='300tour' date='22 January 2010 - 06:26 PM' timestamp='1264213609' post='2198148']
[quote name='LPM' date='22 January 2010 - 05:37 PM' timestamp='1264210673' post='2198023']
surely most of the tour players aren't playing the same sledgehammer being offered from the rack with that awful looking topline, the retail r9 tp's feel terrible in my opinion
[/quote]

For sure mixed reviews of the R9 TP's... off the rack and tour TP's but, there are some still playing them. I bagged the B's myself but, did have the TP's as well and I did get use to the feel. Just like the TP B's from last year, the R9 B's are not that difficult to hit. Good ball strikers will not mind and others will go toward the more forgiving R9 TP's. They do have 3 different models of the B's this year and the PGA Tour players will fit somewhere between those.
[/quote]

So can you explain the difference between the 3 versions of B's? I just ordered up a set of retail R9 TP's - can't really afford the stupid pricing of the B heads.

[quote name='gticlay' date='23 January 2010 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1264227469' post='2198548']
[quote name='300tour' date='22 January 2010 - 06:26 PM' timestamp='1264213609' post='2198148']
[/quote]

[/quote]

So can you explain the difference between the 3 versions of B's? I just ordered up a set of retail R9 TP's - can't really afford the stupid pricing of the B heads.
[/quote]
with the b heads their is an onset version, 2mm offset version and a standard version I believe

G430 Max 10K 9* w/Tensei Orange 1K 70TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro White 70TX
TSr3 18* w/Tensei AV Raw White 85TX 2.0

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/MMT 125TX

W/S Forged 50* w/DG S400

Mg4 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Spider S
TP5X 24'

My good friend is a pro on TM's advisory staff and says the r9 "B"'s are sick, much better than the tour preferred "B"'s they had sent him. He played in the US Open at Oakmont.

In regard to grooves and ball flight height, the newer grooves make balls fly higher. Excess spin will actually keep the ball down(different condition than drivers) and the ball will travel further off of the irons.

[quote name='timmayb' date='23 January 2010 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1264306413' post='2200222']
My good friend is a pro on TM's advisory staff and says the r9 "B"'s are sick, much better than the tour preferred "B"'s they had sent him. He played in the US Open at Oakmont.

In regard to grooves and ball flight height, the newer grooves make balls fly higher. Excess spin will actually keep the ball down(different condition than drivers) and the ball will travel further off of the irons.
[/quote]

Yikes, your friend the pro should teach you about ball flight laws.

Callaway Razr Hawk Tour Xcon-6 X
Taylormade r7 TP 15* HD7 X
Taylormade Rescue TP 19* Altus X
Cleveland CG16 Tour T-Stamp 3-PW S300
Cleveland CG16 RTG 52* & 58* S400
Yes! Ann 34"

It will probably go like most TM iron releases go; they try to get as many of the guys, and it's mostly the younger guys, into the new hot iron and then the poor guys try to hold on because they know a new iron will be out in a few months for them to demo and I guess they just hope it's better than what they're currently playing. Look at the more established guys like Perry and have they pried those R7's from his hands? A lot of the guys on TM's roster are young guys who needed a deal and took the deal that was offered because they don't have a lot of leverage in negotiations. A guy like Kenny, he has a little more pull and he's not gonna play an iron just because it's the new hot thing. A lot of the younger guys simply don't have the clout yet that is required to get a deal where you have the right to refuse to play something if you don't particularly care for it. I've hit the retail TP and I've hit the B head. Neither one really blew me away. Average iron that could have been made by anyone IMO.

[quote name='jmittens24' date='24 January 2010 - 12:28 AM' timestamp='1264314517' post='2200426']
[quote name='timmayb' date='23 January 2010 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1264306413' post='2200222']

[/quote]

Yikes, your friend the pro should teach you about ball flight laws.
[/quote]

No kidding. Excess spin make ball balloon, lessen distance, every time. The new grooves may launch the shot higher but it's gonna be a higher shot with LESS spin so it could affect the distance and that's why we're already seeing flyers be a bit of a thing out of scruffy lies.

[quote name='timmayb' date='23 January 2010 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1264306413' post='2200222']

[/quote]

[attachment=527739:ORLY.jpg]

Almost had it perfect, except for the distance part...black%20eye.gif

**testing several drivers right now** 😉
Adams XTD Ti Fairway Woods, 15* and 18* with **testing** X-Stiff Shafts
Adams XTD Ti Hybrid, 20* (set to 21*) with **testing** X-Stiff Hybrid Shaft
Adams CMB Irons, 4-PW with KBS Tour FLT Black 120 Stiff Shafts
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges, 52-12* (bent to 54*) and 58-12* (bent to 60*) with KBS Tour 125 Black Wedge Shafts

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 Tank, 36" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

backup: STX Sync Series 8 Putter (Red Face Insert), 35" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

You have to love some of these posts....hilarious :man_in_love:

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

[/quote]

The r9 tp's aren't "sledgehammers" at all in my opinion. All of the short/mid irons have thin toplines. I was comparing the r9 tp 6 iron with the mp-58 6 iron and they both almost looked the same. You wouldn't say the mp-58 irons are sledgehammers though?