2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Midwest GolfWRX Spring Outing

Openwater22

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're down! I'll be sending an e-mail after May 1st asking everyone to respond with who's playing when and where. Want to make sure it jives with my notes.

BTW #1, the 2010 Forest Dunes menu has 6 selections priced at $9.00. I have not confirmed with the food and beverage director but I'm thinking, $9.00+ $2.00 beverage+ $3.00 tip total = $14.00 paid at check in with green fees. Neat and clean, in and out. We will have a private dining area to award skins, rehash the round and announce the afternoon pairings. This sound ok to everyone? Total at check in w/lunch and tip pre-paid=$124.00....ok?

The selections are: Corned beef, whitefish, or turkey Rueben...Whitefish tacos...Forest dunes club....chicken salad wrap....Veggie wrap, yuck!.....Forest Dunes burger...plus a special surprise to pass, on me.

BTW #2, Upon arrival at Forest Dunes, notify the outside guest services staff, you are part of the Golfwrx/Nester group. After check in, you will be directed to the members only practice area. We will have a section of the members practice tee to ourselves. Please plan to arrive in time to be at the practice tee by 8:30. This will give us time to do a meet & greet, announce morning pairings, get paired up on carts, and warm up. 1st group off at 9:00am. I will be on the practice tee by 8:00am for those that want to warm up earlier.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

sounds great Jeff...guys this is a real treat. this can't come fast enough!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

We get to play with the people we bring in the morning time, right? And then switch up groupings in the afternoon. I would like to be able to play with the people I know at least once. At least the person I'm bringing wants to play together, I play with all kinds of people all the time, so it really doesn't matter to me. I just don't want to upset anybody that I bring, eventhough I have explained this once or twice to the people I'm bringing.

What if it rains or storms? Better luck next year? I'll be in Gaylord for the Saturday before the Forest Dunes round, so I have drive past Roscommon to get back to Midland anyway, so it's not like I'd be driving all the way to stare at a wet course. I don't expect anybody to have a plan if it rains as this outing is very simple in it's structuring.

This is going to be awesome! Can't wait! Thanks for all the advance planning Jeff & Bill.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='tdk8180' date='27 April 2010 - 03:22 AM' timestamp='1272352961' post='2403446']
We get to play with the people we bring in the morning time, right? And then switch up groupings in the afternoon. I would like to be able to play with the people I know at least once. At least the person I'm bringing wants to play together, I play with all kinds of people all the time, so it really doesn't matter to me. I just don't want to upset anybody that I bring, eventhough I have explained this once or twice to the people I'm bringing.

What if it rains or storms? Better luck next year? I'll be in Gaylord for the Saturday before the Forest Dunes round, so I have drive past Roscommon to get back to Midland anyway, so it's not like I'd be driving all the way to stare at a wet course. I don't expect anybody to have a plan if it rains as this outing is very simple in it's structuring.

[/quote]
Jeff and I will try to make it so everyone can play with their guests for at least one round. Being that we are doing skins the pairings won't be as critical but again we look forward to the opportunity of meeting and playing with other wrxers. If it rains..we are still plan on playing unless lightning. Personally, I don't get this opportunity very often so unless its closed I'm planning on playing. If needed we have a rental house on the course with beer and poker chips so we can play cards to pass a little time if needed.

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Rain golf isn't really my thing. Did enough of that in high school and college, didn't care so much because it was free, but I'm not like Seve, and enjoy bad conditions. Unless I had a caddy, making sure my stuff was dry, and I was dry, lol.

I totally understand meeting new wrxers and Im all for it, I hope that the people coming aren't club throwers. You never know, I think Jeff is taking a minor risk in doing this. If you're a club thrower, stay home. As for the people I'm bringing, they aren't wrxers, so they aren't fully understanding the point of meeting new wrxers. I hope they are cool with switching groups, I really can't be upset with them if they don't want to. I'll be playing with them the day before in Gaylord, so maybe they'll be sick of me, lol.

This should be great, and for $124 it's well worth it. I just hope for good people and good weather.

[quote name='titleist78' date='27 April 2010 - 07:40 PM' timestamp='1272411639' post='2404939']
Guys its killing me not being able to go.

Killing me.

Good luck to all and hopefully we can get together closer to Detroit soon.
[/quote]

Is titleist78 the same as the Wrx'er formerly known as; kgeorge78? If so, too bad U R a Titty ho' now. I got some brand new MP68's cheap. LOL

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

[quote name='tdk8180' date='27 April 2010 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1272414415' post='2405037']
Rain golf isn't really my thing. Did enough of that in high school and college, didn't care so much because it was free, but I'm not like Seve, and enjoy bad conditions. Unless I had a caddy, making sure my stuff was dry, and I was dry, lol.

I totally understand meeting new wrxers and Im all for it, I hope that the people coming aren't club throwers. You never know, I think Jeff is taking a minor risk in doing this. If you're a club thrower, stay home. As for the people I'm bringing, they aren't wrxers, so they aren't fully understanding the point of meeting new wrxers. I hope they are cool with switching groups, I really can't be upset with them if they don't want to. I'll be playing with them the day before in Gaylord, so maybe they'll be sick of me, lol.

This should be great, and for $124 it's well worth it. I just hope for good people and good weather.
[/quote]

No risk at all on my part, not worried in the least. Interacting on this thread and thru e-mail, I'm positive we have a great bunch of wrx'ers and a great time ahead of us.

On another note. Frankly, I don't give a rats behind if your friends get the Wrx thing or not. If they don't get the point of meeting other Wrx'ers maybe they should stay away. If they don't want to; say hello and meet everyone in the morning, play golf with us, join the skins game with us, eat lunch with us, drink a beer after with us, I could care less. Sounds like they want to have their own little gig on my hook up, so be it, I'm good with it. I'm going to solve both our problems, you and your friends can play both rounds together! Skip meeting everyone at the practice range. I'll notify the starter you guys are first off at 9:00. Forget about the group lunch, check in for $110.00 for 36 and have at it. If it rains, you get a raincheck, and wanna know the best part, the raincheck is good anytime! You are not required to play with a member even though you only paid accompained guest rates. Cool eh?

Rant over. Sorry, I got carried away. Considered not posting, but the heck with it. I had to get this off my chest. If any wrx'ers out there are on this fence, I hope this post does not scare you off. This really is going to be a fantastic event!

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

I apologize. I should have followed a simple rule of posting. If the context of the post, isn't definite, don't post it. I didn't mean to tick anybody off. No, we don't want to go off first and be the loner a-holes, that don't want to say hello. I'm not trying to set up a gig, on your hook up, not at all. If that was the case, I would have not even communicated with you, and not been as open as I have been. Yes, we will hang out and be sociable. I hope everyone plans on being socialble. The guys im bringing are good guys, they're avid league golfers and bowlers for god sakes, they don't get anymore comradarie-oriented than that. That's the spirit of the event, comradarie, I get that. I'm just letting you know, that the 2 guys i'm bringing, aren't wrxer's, and they may be a little lost, with how GolfWRX operates, eventhough I showed them the site. I explained to them, that we wouldn't be playing together for one of the 18's. I just would hate for them, to not want to do it again because they didn't get to play with me or whatever. There's a lot of gray area here.

And for the whole "club thrower, stay home" thing. That was dumb, shouldn't of said that. My neighbor is a mild mannered, responsible father, etc. Nice guy in general, but MAN, get him on the course, and he is a complete jerk. Rude, snide comments, club thrower, cheater, line stepper, doesn't know how to mark his ball. Brags about how he plays all these nice courses, makes me sick that he's crapping on these beautiful courses. I Never saw it coming, not one bit of it. And then he asks me to play again, and I'm like, "I'll pass". WHY? he says. Because you need to learn how to play golf with some ettiquette. [u]I never even considered a guy like that to invite to this event[/u]. So, I think I may be a little bit paranoid that my friends will not react to the event, the way that I'm optimistically reacting to the group changes.

The last thing I want to happen, is I get there and you're like, "Oh yeah, the jerks, first tee is that way." No, I want to chat and discuss equipment, and WRX, etc. I do that stuff all the time, so it would be very uncomfortable for me, to have the host of the event pissed off at me. By all means, it's your event, please switch the groupings. Without you, I continue to look at Forest Dunes on the computer. (On knees, doing the Waynes World "I'm not worthy!" praising) I really don't care what my friends feel about it. I just can't be mad at them for not getting it, IF they don't get it, you know I mean. Would you be mad at me, if my friends showed some disappointment in the group switch. I tried to explain it twice to them. I relayed all of your requests to them, followed your guidelines and requirements the best I could.

No hard feelings here. I just want to play and meet some new people, and have a good time. No more damage control posts for me, I'm done.

I also would play in a gale force wind storm, with lightning, because it's Forest Dunes. I don't mind the rain. I'm not going to be a little weiner kid, and cry and stay inside. Not me, won't do that. That's awesome that we even have a raincheck option, if needed. Wow, that is amazing.

We're all just guys who like to play golf -- albeit a bit nerdier about it than some. I doubt anyone will feel out of place. The outing I'll be coming from for Sunday at FD is a group of 60-80 guys, depending on the year and the economy, and we get paired up with guys of different abilities who we don't know or don't know very well, and everyone always has a good time. There's been one instance in the past 10 years that I can think of where a guy was a jerk and wasn't invited back. What I'm getting at is that this will be a group of guys who like to play golf, playing on a great course, and there's really no reason that anyone should feel uncomfortable playing with anyone else -- though I am expecting a bad case of bag envy on my part.

I doubt people will be talking a lot about WRX, anyway, so TDK's buddies shouldn't really feel out of place.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' date='28 April 2010 - 02:57 PM' timestamp='1272481033' post='2406494']
We're all just guys who like to play golf -- albeit a bit nerdier about it than some. I doubt anyone will feel out of place. The outing I'll be coming from for Sunday at FD is a group of 60-80 guys, depending on the year and the economy, and we get paired up with guys of different abilities who we don't know or don't know very well, and everyone always has a good time. There's been one instance in the past 10 years that I can think of where a guy was a jerk and wasn't invited back. What I'm getting at is that this will be a group of guys who like to play golf, playing on a great course, and there's really no reason that anyone should feel uncomfortable playing with anyone else -- though I am expecting a bad case of bag envy on my part.

I doubt people will be talking a lot about WRX, anyway, so TDK's buddies shouldn't really feel out of place.
[/quote]

exactly! +1.

I hope people talk about WRX a little bit. Anyway, you hit in in the head. Basicalyy, by trying to NOT tick Jeff off, I ticked him off. I just wanted to make sure that he wouldn't be mad at me, if my friends didn't fully understand the importance of switching groups. That's all. And trying to reiterate the fact that he values his membership at Forest Dunes and if anyone is a hot head, club slammer, either stay home or be cool out there. Golf does weird things to people.

[quote name='tdk8180' date='28 April 2010 - 09:17 PM' timestamp='1272503878' post='2407148']
[quote name='Tiger Jr.' date='28 April 2010 - 02:57 PM' timestamp='1272481033' post='2406494']

[/quote]

exactly! +1.

I hope people talk about WRX a little bit. Anyway, you hit in in the head. Basicalyy, by trying to NOT tick Jeff off, I ticked him off. I just wanted to make sure that he wouldn't be mad at me, if my friends didn't fully understand the importance of switching groups. That's all. And trying to reiterate the fact that he values his membership at Forest Dunes and if anyone is a hot head, club slammer, either stay home or be cool out there. Golf does weird things to people.
[/quote]
It's nearly impossible to be mad when you're on that course, no matter how badly you're playing. One look at the greens and the absolutely immaculate conditioning, and you just go to your happy place. I can't say it enough -- these are by far the best greens on which I have ever set foot.

Guys,

I really hate doing this and it's killing me inside but I just took a new job that I could not pass up and I will be in Mexico for close to a month starting next week so I will be out for both Saturday and Sunday.

Jeff, I hope I gave you enough notice as I just found out on Monday that this was a possibility. If I didn't give you enough notice, PM me and I will pay for whatever I am on the hook for.

I really really hate doing this as I was really looking forward to this trip...
Bryan

[quote name='bbslurp413' date='29 April 2010 - 08:56 AM' timestamp='1272545765' post='2407821']
Guys,

I really hate doing this and it's killing me inside but I just took a new job that I could not pass up and I will be in Mexico for close to a month starting next week so I will be out for both Saturday and Sunday.

Jeff, I hope I gave you enough notice as I just found out on Monday that this was a possibility. If I didn't give you enough notice, PM me and I will pay for whatever I am on the hook for.

I really really hate doing this as I was really looking forward to this trip...
Bryan
[/quote]

Bryan,

Wow! Congrats on the new gig. Hope there is a nice course in Mexico for you to play. Plenty of notice, on the hook for zero. Don't remember where in Mich. U live, but FD opens Saturday and I'll be there Sat. and Sun. Drive up.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

[quote name='OneBowTie' date='04 May 2010 - 11:12 AM' timestamp='1272985934' post='2420185']
Hey is this a closed outing.....meaning only open to YANKEE'S....... or do all y'all not mind losing some skins and what not to a couple southern men.....

Lets be real....even though we are only mid handicappers..... we have not been shoveling snow up until ..... what yesterday !!!!
[/quote]

LOL...we don't segregate..will take anyone's money..:)

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='OneBowTie' date='04 May 2010 - 11:12 AM' timestamp='1272985934' post='2420185']
Hey is this a closed outing.....meaning only open to YANKEE'S....... or do all y'all not mind losing some skins and what not to a couple southern men.....

Lets be real....even though we are only mid handicappers..... we have not been shoveling snow up until ..... what yesterday !!!!
[/quote]

Welcome! No "rebel yells" after you N. Carolina boys get skinned. lol. Bill, you wanna take these Tar Heels on?
Assuming you read the posts concerning schedule and lunch arrangements, etc.?

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

Jeff, would love to school those southern boys...

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

I used to live in Charleston, South Carolina...so can't say much though..

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='openwater32' date='04 May 2010 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1272988159' post='2420264']

[/quote]

Welcome! No "rebel yells" after you N. Carolina boys get skinned. lol. Bill, you wanna take these Tar Heels on?
Assuming you read the posts concerning schedule and lunch arrangements, etc.?
[/quote]

[quote name='odshot68' date='04 May 2010 - 01:02 PM' timestamp='1272992556' post='2420441']
Jeff, would love to school those southern boys...
[/quote]

Don't you worry about the rebel bellows!!!!! If things go as they should...... we won't have time to be yacking, we be too busy counting the cash!!!!

I see wild bill.... or should I say would be bill.....must be afraid of losing the DOLLAR bill.... cuz he aint responding to the challenge...... if he gets froggy and wants to jump..... we will gladly take team yankee on!!!!!

Count us in for both tee times sunday, the lunch, and any get together after the dealin's done.......

we just checked with our local pit and get and they will accept any and all the yankee cash we bring back with us!!!!!

hey odshot68..... that 68 you speak of was on the front nine....right!!!!! now look just cuz you used to live in south cackalacky...... spit out that chicken wing and man up.......

looking forward to this yankee outing..... cant wait to play Forest Dunes......

Jeff..can't wait to school the hens...watch when they show up they will be begging for strokes..LOL..I can hear it now...I need so many a side...ohh, and we are playing the tips..:) Can't we play the women's box.

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Havin fun already, that's what I'm hollerin'. But this isn't a closed shop, who else wants in on skinnin' these rebels?

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

Mike and Mike in the morning {R U guys on espn},

Have one of these for the southeast guys in Oct. or Nov., thinking Quail Hollow [lol, pull that off and I'll give you a half a side} and i'll be there.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

Speakin' of your local pit, I'm assuming U mean BBQ. Show up Saturday night for mine, and if it isn't better than the local wanna be bbq, i'll pick up your sunday after round watering bill.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

[quote name='odshot68' date='04 May 2010 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1273000562' post='2420778']
Jeff..can't wait to school the hens...watch when they show up they will be begging for strokes..LOL..I can hear it now...I need so many a side...ohh, and we are playing the tips..:) Can't we play the women's box.
[/quote]

"school these hens"...... now your cackling....... did you say your playing for tips......or from the tips.....

[quote name='openwater32' date='04 May 2010 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1273003195' post='2420863']
Speakin' of your local pit, I'm assuming U mean BBQ. Show up Saturday night for mine, and if it isn't better than the local wanna be bbq, i'll pick up your sunday after round watering bill.
[/quote]

I don't suppose y'all have cheerwine up there to drink.....so I'll bring some along...... I am hoping we can make it in time Saturday evening for any and all festivities..... otherwise, we will just have to enjoy it sunday....during and after the rounds......

We are a couple years short on the Quail Hollow deal...... it is a super sweet course.....greens are super duper hard to figure out.....heck, who am I kidding, those greens can't be figured out!!!!

you boys will have to rename ole Forest Dunes when us southern men get done with all y'all..... Forest Doom!!!

I don't suppose y'all have cheerwine up there to drink.....so I'll bring some along...... I am hoping we can make it in time Saturday evening for any and all festivities..... otherwise, we will just have to enjoy it sunday....during and after the rounds......

You drink the cheerwine, I'll stick to the Napa cabs and blends I'm bringing. Especially good is the 06' Bridesmaid, which you guys should take a big old gulp of because that's where you'll be on Sunday, 2nd place, aka Bridesmaid.

Good news on Saturday night festivities, I'll throw more_____ on the smoker. Suprised us yankees know what real bbq is?

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

Guys even though I'm not going I can't stay away from this Thread.

I have a question for the Michiganders:

Planning a family golf trip somewhere out there - Friday - Sun. My Uncle who has golfed all over suggested Tullymore and St. Ives.

Looks great but I'm wondering who has played it. He rented a 6000ft2 home with a walkout basement, pool, pool table, ....

pretty excited to go.

18 Friday upon arrival, 36 on Sat, 18 on Sunday then drive home!

TSR2 10 1K Black

TSR2 15 Tensi Blue 75

TSR2 18 /24 Hybrid Tensi Blue 75 

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW (3 and 4 on Bench)

Cleveland RTX 6.0 52 56 60

Bettinardi Queen B 6