Midwest GolfWRX Spring Outing

Openwater22

[quote name='tdk8180' date='04 March 2010 - 04:51 PM' timestamp='1267739474' post='2293372']
Im going to pass on Friday and Saturday, I will opt to play in Gaylord for those days, warmin up for the BIG day at Forest Dunes. I already had a dream about it and I forgot my shoes and pants.
[/quote]

I vote that you remember pants. Shoes are up to you.:tongue:

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news today at work.

Conference in Toronto that Thurs - Sat. I Cannot miss the conference. Playing Saturday is now impossible and Sunday is in jeopardy.

I'm not happy right now. I'll pm the organizers shortly.

Qi10 10.5

Qi10 3 and 5 Wood

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

RTX 6.0 52 56 60

Bettinardi Queen B 6

kevin that sucks man...hopefully it can be changed..we were looking forward to having you there.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Hey all,

I just came across this thred today, and if there were still openings/availability, I'd love to attend!

To start, I'm 47 and play to about a 15 handicap (not established officially yet, but should be by the date of this outing - I am a GAM/USGA member and will make sure I have it established by then) So that said, I fully expect to be pummeled by most folks, but the opportunity to play and the group sounds like a blast.

As many have said, the course, laughs, and experience will be primary for me. I may be a hack still at this point, but hope to make some local golfing buds in the process. The bets/skins stuff makes my head numb after a point, but I'm fine with offering up my share with the full expectation of losing it all, LOL!

Whomever is responsible, please feel free to PM me and I can provide my email addy and such. Very excited to meet a bunch of fellow WRX'ers and have a blast golfing for sure!

Cheers,
Kev

Of course..your more than welcome. Send openwater your email and he will add you to the list. We can't wait to get this going..

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Welcome Billy Barou {kev}. That makes 13 wrxer's, as long as kgeorge can still make it and 4 friends of tdk8180 on the pending list.

I just sent everyone an e-mail requesting an update on your committment status. Making sure I'm keeping an accurate list.

Bill, Josh, and I are still looking for a 4th on Friday at The Quest. $44.00 for 36. And a 4th for a Forest Dunes home for Friday and Saturday.

Anyone needing Forest Dunes accomadations let me know asap, the rentals are seeing inquiries pick up as spring is breaking.

kgeorge78, you gotta make it man! My 68's will prolly be for sale by then. lol

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

• 3 weeks later...

Just Sunday for me.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Jeff and I were talking about this and we need to get an update on this. Openwater odunderpar and odshot68 are in for Fri, Sat, and Sun

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Also, is it 100%, confirmed that it will only cost $110 for 36 holes for Forest Dunes. I can't afford anything more than that, so if I get there and it's like 50-60 bucks more, I probably wouldn't be able stay. Just want to make sure, it is the #2 rated course in Michigan so they pretty much don't have to do anything special for anybody. Were eating at the ritz carlton here, uncharted territory for me.

[quote name='tdk8180' date='31 March 2010 - 02:09 AM' timestamp='1270015744' post='2352006']
Also, is it 100%, confirmed that it will only cost $110 for 36 holes for Forest Dunes. I can't afford anything more than that, so if I get there and it's like 50-60 bucks more, I probably wouldn't be able stay. Just want to make sure, it is the #2 rated course in Michigan so they pretty much don't have to do anything special for anybody. Were eating at the ritz carlton here, uncharted territory for me.
[/quote]

Yes, $110.00 is the price. Confirmed. Set in stone. Refer to my OP. The only variable is lunch. In an earlier post I mentioned the limited time between rounds, and if everyone would be interested in a cold cut sandwich buffet or a pre-ordered lunch, from say 3 options. FD opens on May 1st and i will obtain prices on both options from the food and beverage director, e-mail everyone, get a consensus, and decide. I'm thinking between $10.00 and $12.00 per person, non alcholic beverage and tip included. This can be paid at check in with the green fees, making lunch, no muss, no fuss. Of course, participation is optional. U can pack a PBJ if you want. It will be much easier on Bill and I if everyone participates.We are already keeping lists of who's playing which days and who's staying in the FD rental houses.

BTW, as a reminder, participation is now open to non WRX buds. My only request is, make sure they are committed. I am holding 6 prime tee times. Out of fairness to other FD members, no shows would be, let's just say, not so good. I am releasing unused tee times on May 1st. We have 13 committed, 24 max.

Out, Jeff

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

I have confirmed with Jeff on playing both rounds on Saturday as well as both on Sunday; also, I will be the "Fourth" in the Forest Dunes home that Jeff, Bill and Josh have rented - looking forward to playing, drinking, chowing and generally BSing with you guys!

Thanks to the hosts for organizing this - it should be epic! Sorry I won't get the chance to meet you Kevin, perhaps at another outing later in the season!

Cheers all,
Kev

[quote name='kgeorge78' date='31 March 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1270047696' post='2352550']
Im officially out fellas.
[/quote]

No way! U gotta be here. Who's gonna buy my hit once MP68's now! LOL. We'll miss you, and we haven't even met yet. I'll keep you on the e-mail distribution list so you're in the loop if anything changes. You know how to contact me, if you get "up north" give a holler and we'll hit the links. I'll do likewise when I'm in the Detroit/Windsor area.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

OK! It's going to be me, and 3 other NON wrxers. Not 4 non WRXers, like I said before.

So, you can add 3 more commitments to the list.

Jeff, I will send you my friends' information, because you have requested to know that info.

I will be in Gaylord that weekend to play, before the big day on Sunday, so I guess lunch will be the only other thing I will have to worry about.

I feel your pain kgeorge, that really stinks man. I would be bummed too if I couldn't attend this event as well.

It looks like we have 16 guys so far. That would be 4 groups of 4, or we could do 4 groups of 3 and 1 foursome. I would like to play, at least one of the 18's with all 3 of the people I'm bringing. I only personally know, one of three, so I am playing with people I've never played with before.

And I'm just going to throw this out there. Do we have an established game(s) for the group, or are we still in limbo about any kind of a money game. The amount of the bet is irrelevant, I just want to know if there has been any development for the game itself.

I like the idea of a 2-man best ball game, play your own ball. Also, we should get some markers for closest to the pin, and do something with that as well.

[quote name='openwater32' date='31 March 2010 - 12:37 PM' timestamp='1270053451' post='2352745']
[quote name='kgeorge78' date='31 March 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1270047696' post='2352550']
Im officially out fellas.
[/quote]

No way! U gotta be here. Who's gonna buy my hit once MP68's now! LOL. We'll miss you, and we haven't even met yet. I'll keep you on the e-mail distribution list so you're in the loop if anything changes. You know how to contact me, if you get "up north" give a holler and we'll hit the links. I'll do likewise when I'm in the Detroit/Windsor area.
[/quote]

Jeff keep in touch please - That weekend is just not good for me. I would love to play with a few wrxers some time this summer. Bring that Vette down and I'll run it over with my F150!
Hopefully you can make it down closer some sunday and we can play - I can drive almost anywhere within an hour from Detroit to play a round or two but spending 2 nights away just doesn't work for me.

p.m. me with a date. Maybe sheppards? I would love if you guys came down to play ambassador in windsor - that's a course!

Qi10 10.5

Qi10 3 and 5 Wood

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

RTX 6.0 52 56 60

Bettinardi Queen B 6

Kgeorge78 {Kevin}

If you want to play dueling monster trucks, check out my website; nesterauto.com

I'll bring one of the Jeeps we build and we can go play in the mud. LOL

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

By my count we are at 13, twelve wrx'ers and a friend of tdk8180. Lets keep sign up open until May 1st. After 5/1 I'll release unused tee times I'm holding.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

• 2 weeks later...

35 days and counting down. Can't wait, this is going to be a blast! Openings still available until 5/1.

Openings still available for Friday at The Quest Golf Club

Openings still available for Saturday at The Gailes and Red Hawk

BTW, I'll throw this out there for the guys committed to play. What say you; to straight up skins for the betting games? We've batted around several options and agreed on $10.00 per man per 18. We have players with and without USGA index's. It will be difficult to handicap a partners best ball or 2 best of the foursome without index's. I know the scratch, and close to scratch guys have a slight advantage with straight gross skins, but what the heck, everybody can make a birdie.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

that would make it much easier for us to keep track of Jeff and we don't have to figure out handicaps and indexes. Great idea!

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Hey everyone,

As of right now, I am bringing one friend. Jeff knows about him coming, obviously. Luckily for me, the other 2 guys that we invited, dropped out before I could tell them they couldn't come. So, my friend and I decided that we only ask people that we mutally knew at the request of Jeff.

So, last week I spoke with my friend and as of right now, we all might be playing with someone we all know. His name is Tom Smallwood and he is a friend of mine from Saginaw. He is a PBA Pro Bowler and a successful one at that. Check him out winning the PBA World Championship this year live on ESPN in this CBS News special with Katie Couric.

He also made the TV finals at the Scorpion Championship and a Doubles Event in March.

I also like the straight up $10 dollar a man skins game. Quick story about straight up skins: My buddy in high school won 2 holes, took the entire pot of $144. Made 2 birdies, had 8's and 9's on multiple holes, picked up a few holes, etc. Just a garbage day for him, except for those 2 holes where he won a $144 bucks. Yeah, the other 3 guys including myself, were fairly discouraging, but hey, that's skins and I've been on the other end as well.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTmNVbjypM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlTmNVbjypM
[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igIbhE0z40g&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6MIpZWbbN4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igIbhE0z40g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6MIpZWbbN4

[/url]

$10 skins sounds fine to me. Despite being around a 2 handicap, I only average about 1.5 birdies per round, and I'll be coming off a weekend bender, so I'd be shocked if I won anything.

Does this mean we're not doing any kind of team competition?

I'm sure there will be some games within the 4 some but this just simplifies for us.

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Simplifies and the guys without USGA Index's don't have to worry about it.

I'm sure there will be plenty of "game on" opportunities for those that wish to have a side bet. Bill and I have a standing $5.00 nassau, match play. We post every score, and I'll have a friendly nassau with anyone who does the same.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S