Midwest GolfWRX Spring Outing

Openwater22

Donny the head pro / pro shop manager knows all about us Wrx'ers and our addiction. He played with Bill, Josh, and I last October and listened to us carry on about Golfwrx.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kevin, the pics don't do the course justice. the course really doesn't play very long to be honest. Hole 5 is a downhill tee shot and plays shorter. Hit sand wedge there last year ..and I'm not a long hitter. There are a few longer par 4s...hole 8, 10, and 14. Oh yeah..16 is called Hell's Acre for a reason..LOL

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Oh yeah..16 is called Hell's Acre for a reason..LOL

It certainly is. That hole is evil.black%20eye.gif

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='tdk8180' date='11 February 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1265946195' post='2245452']
I can only imagine how nice the greens are, based on the way they look from the pics.
[/quote]
Bar none, they are the best greens I've ever seen, and it's not even close.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='kgeorge78' date='11 February 2010 - 08:58 PM' timestamp='1265939884' post='2245178']
So I've been checking out the course on the website (Great site btw). Some of these holes like amazing. 601 yard par 5 5th.

I'd rather not play the tips!
[/quote]

Kevin,
Bill {odshot68} is correct. Don't let the yardage and the pics scare you. This course is an absolute blast from the tips. Now, don't misinterpret what I'm saying, us mid-handicappers are not going to bring it to it's knees, but you will have fun playing the tips. I would venture to say that if you don't play the tips at least once, you will regret it later. Don't worry about the 4 pars and 5 pars, it's the 3 pars that are going to bite you in the a** from the tips. Especially #16. If there is any wind at all, hit driver. Don't even think about it or second guess[b][i], Hit the BIG DOG! [/i][/b]

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

[quote name='TheBoomer ' date='12 February 2010 - 11:42 AM' timestamp='1265992942' post='2246369']
Im In !!!

Ill get with Kgeorge about golfing in Dearborn before the 23rd of May.

Whats the verdict on the lunch and bringing non-wrxers ??

MAB

email is : [email protected]
[/quote]

Boomer,
Welcome! Glad you could make it. The verdict on lunch is: As we get closer to the event I'll get a price from the food & beverage director for a cold cut buffet and a choice of 2 or 3 pre-determined choices {i.e. odshot68 just has to have a salmon salad. lol bill} I'll send everyone an e-mail with the details and we'll make a decision.

The verdict on non-wrx'ers is: If you want to bring a bud, by all means sign him up. Makes sense to have someone to share driving and gas and lodging expenses with. Just don't want to fill the field with non-wrx'ers before any wrx'er that wants in, has a chance. Prolly open the entries around April 1st.

BTW, huge Lions fan. Season ticket holder until 2008. Got sick of spending the dough and 300 mile round trip, just to throw up!

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' date='12 February 2010 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1265991529' post='2246303']
[quote name='tdk8180' date='11 February 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1265946195' post='2245452']
I can only imagine how nice the greens are, based on the way they look from the pics.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Do you want me to talk to the "Super" about getting them over a 12 for our little shindig? 7141 and stimping at 12! Talk about [b][i]EVIL[/i][/b]!

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

[quote name='openwater32' date='12 February 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1266000891' post='2246673']
[quote name='Tiger Jr.' date='12 February 2010 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1265991529' post='2246303']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Do you want me to talk to the "Super" about getting them over a 12 for our little shindig? 7141 and stimping at 12! Talk about [b][i]EVIL[/i][/b]!
[/quote]

Rolling at 12 would be awesome!

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='odshot68' date='12 February 2010 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1266004060' post='2246849']
[quote name='openwater32' date='12 February 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1266000891' post='2246673']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Rolling at 12 would be awesome!

[/quote]

If you can pull that off, by all means, ask for the fastest, smoothest greens they can provide. It sounds like with the whole media day thing before the event, this request is reasonable.

[quote name='Greggz' date='20 February 2010 - 09:44 PM' timestamp='1266720264' post='2265968']
Just ran across this thread.

I live in Novi, MI, so this could be very doable for me. Only about a three hour drive.

I've never met anyone from GolfWRX, but would look forward to it if I can work it out. It might be nice to spend some time with others who share the same affliction.

Hope to confirm shortly.
[/quote]

Hope you can make it.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All;

Thought I’d send out a quick update. The e-mails of everyone committed to date are in the address bar. Please use e-mail for any important communication. That way someone doesn’t miss a post on wrx with something important in it. Thanks.

First some news, I am part of a group that is purchasing The Quest golf course in Houghton Lake. The new name is, The Quest Golf Club. We expect to be open as soon as the snow melts and I’d love to show off the golf course to fellow wrx’ers and friends. The weekday 18 hole rate is $29.00 or $39.00 play all day. The weekend rate is $34.00 and $44.00.

Bill {odshot68} Josh {odunderpar} and Jeff {openwater32} are expanding our outing into a Friday, Saturday, Sunday and welcome all to do the same, or participate in any part. Our plans: play 36 at The Quest on Friday 5/21. Stay at Forest Dunes, about a 25 minute drive. BBQ on the deck, beer, cards, bullxxxx, etc. Drive to and play The Gailes then Red Hawk on Saturday. Return to Forest Dunes and repeat BBQ, beer, cards, bullxxxx. Play 36 at The Dunes on Sunday. This old man will need an IV on Sunday after 36 a day for 3 days and lot’s of beer, wine, vodka.

Bryan{bbslurp413} and Kevin{kgeorge78} are committed to play The Gailes and Red Hawk on Saturday with Bill and Josh so I’m a 5[sup]th[/sup] wheel at this point. Help a brother out and jump in here so we have threesomes or foursomes Saturday.

Bill, Josh and I are taking a Forest Dunes rental home for Friday and Saturday. Room for 1 more. $220.00 per night = $440.00 by 4= $110.00 each. There are 3 new houses in a row on seven fairway. This really is the best place to stay for anyone requiring lodging. 3 bedroom 2 ½ bath homes for close to the same per night as a motel room 30 minutes away in Grayling. 4 can stay in a house without sharing a bed. Let me know who wants to stay on site and I’ll reserve. I can stock the beer, snacks, food, {how bout ribeyes on the barbie Friday with a bleu cheese wedge and baked potato.}

We have 11 committed and it seems like this is as many wrx’ers as are going to sign up. We said 4/1 to open it up, but if you guys want to, we can do that earlier. Let’s give everyone a chance to recruit a bud to help with driving, gas, lodging etc. before we start bringing a group of 4 or more, please. I have lots of bud’s I can get at the last minute to fill out a foursome if needed.

Thought i'd cut and paste the e-mail here in case I had anybody's e-mail wrong. Deleted the address bar and attachment before posting.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

[quote name='openwater32' date='02 March 2010 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1267563548' post='2288442']
Hello All;

Thought I'd send out a quick update. The e-mails of everyone committed to date are in the address bar. Please use e-mail for any important communication. That way someone doesn't miss a post on wrx with something important in it. Thanks.

First some news, I am part of a group that is purchasing The Quest golf course in Houghton Lake. The new name is, The Quest Golf Club. We expect to be open as soon as the snow melts and I'd love to show off the golf course to fellow wrx'ers and friends. The weekday 18 hole rate is $29.00 or $39.00 play all day. The weekend rate is $34.00 and $44.00.

Bill {odshot68} Josh {odunderpar} and Jeff {openwater32} are expanding our outing into a Friday, Saturday, Sunday and welcome all to do the same, or participate in any part. Our plans: play 36 at The Quest on Friday 5/21. Stay at Forest Dunes, about a 25 minute drive. BBQ on the deck, beer, cards, bullxxxx, etc. Drive to and play The Gailes then Red Hawk on Saturday. Return to Forest Dunes and repeat BBQ, beer, cards, bullxxxx. Play 36 at The Dunes on Sunday. This old man will need an IV on Sunday after 36 a day for 3 days and lot's of beer, wine, vodka.

Bryan{bbslurp413} and Kevin{kgeorge78} are committed to play The Gailes and Red Hawk on Saturday with Bill and Josh so I'm a 5[sup]th[/sup] wheel at this point. Help a brother out and jump in here so we have threesomes or foursomes Saturday.

Bill, Josh and I are taking a Forest Dunes rental home for Friday and Saturday. Room for 1 more. $220.00 per night = $440.00 by 4= $110.00 each. There are 3 new houses in a row on seven fairway. This really is the best place to stay for anyone requiring lodging. 3 bedroom 2 ½ bath homes for close to the same per night as a motel room 30 minutes away in Grayling. 4 can stay in a house without sharing a bed. Let me know who wants to stay on site and I'll reserve. I can stock the beer, snacks, food, {how bout ribeyes on the barbie Friday with a bleu cheese wedge and baked potato.}

We have 11 committed and it seems like this is as many wrx'ers as are going to sign up. We said 4/1 to open it up, but if you guys want to, we can do that earlier. Let's give everyone a chance to recruit a bud to help with driving, gas, lodging etc. before we start bringing a group of 4 or more, please. I have lots of bud's I can get at the last minute to fill out a foursome if needed.

Thought i'd cut and paste the e-mail here in case I had anybody's e-mail wrong. Deleted the address bar and attachment before posting.

[/quote]

first congrats on your golf course venture..... good luck

next, sounds like you have a great outing put together..... looks like some really nice courses.....

I do a Northern MI golf outing every year..... Love those Northern MI courses..... non better anywhere as far as I'm concerned

Man I wish I knew my schedule for your dates..... have a great outing and keep us posted

Wow! How much will it cost to play the Quest on Friday and Red Hawk/The Gailes on Saturday.

Because as of right now, I planned on going to my cotttage in Gaylord, playing in Gaylord Friday and Saturday, and then making the drive down to Roscommon, for the Forest Dunes round.

That's my plan, and how much more money are you guys looking for if we join the BBQ, as I wouldn't expect 2-3 guys to pick up the entire bill.

Tdk8180,
The Quest will be $44.00 for 36. Not sure how much at Gailes and Red Hawk. Bill will let us know. As far as food cost, i'll save the reciepts and we'll spil it up, but it will be cheaper than eating out and way better. If you have free lodging in Gaylord that will be hard to beat, but you can't put a price tag on how much fun we'll, have

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

No doubt were going to have a blast. I am on a budget though, so I have to break it down to gas costs, food costs, golf costs. The only reason I committed is because of my cottage in Gaylord, which will be a full house with my family on the 21st-23rd, otherwise I probably would have passed.

As for the "opening up" of the invitations, I do have one friend who just told me he has a foursome at the ready, when it's time to open up the invitations. So, you could potentially add 3-4 more players in the pending category. You guys will let us know when that happens, as said before.

I've been watching this post and would really love to join in, however, I havent a usga Handi. I'm a 53 yr old and play to about a 12 or so.
I often travel to various places just to play golf and did play Forest Dunes a couple of years ago. Have mentioned the course to a few as fitting into my top 25 in the country. Just an awesome facility with a great track. Reminds me of The Carolina in S.C. or maybe a bit of Tobacco Road.
That all said, if you would like to fill out the outing, I'll throw my hat in the ring.
Thanks,
Gordy.

Gordy {whysguy} you're in. PM me your regular e-mail please. I'll add you to the distribution list.

That's 12 guys. Andrew {tdk8180} R U saying you and a foursome for 5 total? Or 4 total? Sorry, i'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. Something about all the brain cells I've destroyed over the years.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

the outing is officially open to friends now to get the grand total to 24. We're looking forward this.

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='openwater32' date='03 March 2010 - 09:43 AM' timestamp='1267627437' post='2290187']
Gordy {whysguy} you're in. PM me your regular e-mail please. I'll add you to the distribution list.

That's 12 guys. Andrew {tdk8180} R U saying you and a foursome for 5 total? Or 4 total? Sorry, i'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. Something about all the brain cells I've destroyed over the years.
[/quote]

Right now, let's go with 5, as in Myself (1), and My friend and his 3 buddies that he has asked. So that would be 5 people total.

However, since I haven't talked to my friend in about 2 weeks, put all 4 of them in the pending column. I will have an update for you come March 12th-14th on their status. All good players.

And I wouldn't worry about being slow on the uptake, I had to spend 45 mins with my uncle and his pay as you go phone, because this man is still accustom to using payphones when he's in a jam. Yes, the internet is a series of computers........

Heres the deal for Saturday golf:

Gailes: 9am and 9:10 am (have 2 tee times made..can add more if needed) $65/player

Travel 25 minute drive in between courses

Red Hawk: 2pm and 2:10 pm $40/player

Total $105 for 2 great courses. We only have 5 total but we'd love to have more. Let Jeff (openwater) or myself know if you would like to join us.

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='odshot68' date='04 March 2010 - 12:07 PM' timestamp='1267722432' post='2292760']
Heres the deal for Saturday golf:

Gailes: 9am and 9:10 am (have 2 tee times made..can add more if needed) $65/player

Travel 25 minute drive in between courses

Red Hawk: 2pm and 2:10 pm $40/player

Total $105 for 2 great courses. We only have 5 total but we'd love to have more. Let Jeff (openwater) or myself know if you would like to join us.
[/quote]

Sounds like it's going to be a good weekend. I'm already in for Saturday and looking forward to it. I can't make friday at the quest due to work but I will be there Saturday and Sunday.

My contact info: Bryan Belter, 248-961-9000 (cell). Should be fun