mackenzie golfbags?

[quote name='Crimson0516' date='23 April 2010 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1272041763' post='2396525']
I have had a couple people ask on the blog for my McKennon Player's Bag pics...I tried posting them a few weeks ago but guess I didn't do it correctly...a bunch more of them on the site now and a cool deal where you can access a web cam in the room where they make the bags and watch your bag being made. Also saw a new pattern that Mackenzie made in like a diamond pattern that was pretty sweet.
[/quote]

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Here is a picture of crimson0516's McKennon bag and matching headcovers.

Very sweet, I must say. :good:

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so everyone and their brother wanted a picture of a McKennon bag, now we have one, and the thread dies....????....

Crimson...curious to know, how is the stitching across the top of the bag? Is there any excess leather inside the lip?

How wide is the strap?

Also, how does it carry?

[quote name='Orchardist' date='13 May 2010 - 11:57 AM' timestamp='1273766246' post='2439339']
Oh yeah, uh ok, wow, gee wiz. Looks like the guy replaced the Mackenzie label with his own. Real original there, that one is.
[/quote]

The MacKenzie seems more classic than original. Reminds me of the old Jones Sport bags, for example. Frankly, I'd rather there be more than one guy making these things. I hope to get one someday.

Strap is about 3 inches wide, although McKennon sent me two straps as he was testing the "memory foam" in straps and had two differentr feels. Wanted to know which one I liked better and told me to keep them both. I like the "thicker" foam. No sure what what you mean about stitching across the top of the bag....there is some extra leather inside the lip and as Mike said it would it has stretched slightly. Although the opening for the clubs is smaller than my Mackenzie, the steel/metal ring is thicker...feels tougher for lack of a better term. Headcovers are about the same although McKennon's are lighter becasue of the fleece stuff they use on the inside. Treied to get him to make me a putter cover but he said they are just too busy right now and don't have any plans for one until they hire more people. They are moving to a bigger studio next month and that will slow things down even more. Might be a good time to test out the "on time" guarantee and maybe someone gets a free bag out of it!

Are you kidding me? Twenty replies straight to me. 20. They all say the same thing.. Mackenzie somehow screwed them. Tired of answering. Tired of trying to rationalize. Here is the deal.. Bought them both in the last 10 years. McKennon blew away Mackenzie. Not even close. Hate them, bash them, I don't care. If you have something to say about Mackenzie or McKennon, air it here. All of you want to lay low but still get all the answers. Put it out there or go away. McKennon didn't give me a deal, or a free bag. Mackenzie didn't either. I am just a guy trying to buy a bag. I made my choice and couldn't be happier. In my opinion, the best golf bag in the world is McKennon. If you have a different take, air it here. Just stop writing me and bashing Mackenzie. Do it in the forum or don't do it.

[quote name='Crimson0516' date='17 May 2010 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1274159760' post='2449502']
Are you kidding me? Twenty replies straight to me. 20. They all say the same thing.. Mackenzie somehow screwed them. Tired of answering. Tired of trying to rationalize. Here is the deal.. Bought them both in the last 10 years. McKennon blew away Mackenzie. Not even close. Hate them, bash them, I don't care. If you have something to say about Mackenzie or McKennon, air it here. All of you want to lay low but still get all the answers. Put it out there or go away. McKennon didn't give me a deal, or a free bag. Mackenzie didn't either. I am just a guy trying to buy a bag. I made my choice and couldn't be happier. In my opinion, the best golf bag in the world is McKennon. If you have a different take, air it here. Just stop writing me and bashing Mackenzie. Do it in the forum or don't do it.
[/quote]

I'm not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination and $700+ for a golf bag is a lot of money to me.

However, I also believe firmly in buying quality products that last a very long time, so I am not opposed to expensive purchases, providing the product and the experience are on par with the price point.

The experiences I have had in the last fiscal year with Mackenzie unfortunately do not justify the expense. I already own a Mackenzie bag, and was hoping my next purchase could be more of a custom, "as I want it" bag. From the looks of how things are going, it will be a McKennon.

One missed phone call and one missed email are one thing---but a fiscal year's worth of phone calls and emails not replied to is defined as ignoring, and particularly uncomfortable when a company has an individual's credit card on file. That's fine, Mackenzie can ignore me and I can spend my money elsewhere.

If anyone cares to agree, debate, defend, attack, harrass or use other forms of communication, feel free to email me. My address is posted up the page a few.

Cheers.

[quote name='Orchardist' date='13 May 2010 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1273766246' post='2439339']
Oh yeah, uh ok, wow, gee wiz. Looks like the guy replaced the Mackenzie label with his own. Real original there, that one is.
[/quote]

Yep, because Mackenzie was the very first company in the universe to build a leather golf bag with a handy carry handle, single strap, and loopie for your fingers to hold while you walk.

yessir..mhm...you betcha.

Ditto.

[quote name='mat562' date='06 February 2010 - 05:33 PM' timestamp='1265491997' post='2232450']
I like plain and understated when it comes to my golf equipment, so it goes without saying that these bags are my cup of tea. I'm not sure I buy into the idea that having one makes you God's gift to retro style though, nor am I too keen on forking out the top side of four hundred quid for a pencil bag. I know the quality is undeniable, but that sort of money for what is, after all, a small carry bag, is a non-starter for me. I shall have to admire them from afar.
[/quote]

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow-up to my previous post my MacKenzie bag is doing great, I'm very happy with it. Carrying for 18 holes on a hilly course is no problem, very comfortable, the bag feels like part of me. I probably have 20 rounds on the bag so far and hopefully another 10,000 to go.

Somebody posted that they had problems getting MacKenzie to return their calls or emails but I didn't run into that. When I was thinking of buying the bag this past winter I called them and talked to Todd the owner for at least a half-hour on all kinds of golf subjects, I almost couldn't get him off the phone! He's a good guy.

The only change I would make for the bag would be some kind of lightweight slippery liner for the clubs to slide in and out easier. When it's hot out the grips (Tour Velvet) can get a little sticky inside and grab the leather. Maybe after awhile the inside leather will smooth out?

I do need to find out what kind of leather conditioner/waterproofer to use on the bag because where the thumb loop is the sweat from my arm and glove soak the bag pretty good on the pocket.

I am using my bag since January and I love it. However at over 40 degrees centigrade and high humidity I start experiencing color bleeding from the strap (see picture attached). This has about a week ago and before there was no problem at all.
I think it has to do with the weather conditions being extreme in Dubai at this time of the year.
However, I had the same problem with other bags (not leather) before and came to accept it as a fact of life.

I have not seen a McKennon bag but it looks identical. The advantage of a MacKenzie is the possibility that you can virtually design your own bag. If you carry a bag like this you are bound to be an individualist and the customs option will be an important factor. I am sure McKennon will offer the same in no time.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread. I've been considering getting one of these bags for a while and probably will this fall at some point. Not sure which one to get, but are these bags designed to handle 14 clubs or are they basically fancy Sunday bags made to hold fewer clubs? Does anyone use this style as their everyday gamer bag?

Thanks,
~Dustin

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway XR 3Deep 14* Aerotech Ti-Fiber 70 F5
Srixon u45 20* Nunchuk Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 Mk II 4 iron  Nippon Modus 105x

Srixon ZX7 5-AW  Nippon Modus 120x

Taylormade MG4 54* SB, 60* TW True Temper TI s400
LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

I believe that the MacKenzie Walker will hold 14 clubs - please correct me if I am wrong?

I am putting together an order for a MacKenzie Walker at the moment and have also started playing with only 9-10 clubs after reading all of the articles available on [url="http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/interviews___articles"]The Walking Golfer[/url]

It is quite liberating playing with fewer clubs and it surely helps accessing ones creativity.

I had 9 clubs with me shooting an unprecedented +1 for 9 holes on my home track (!?) When I realized that I was shooting way better than my handicap of course my game fell apart ha ha and I ended up shooting 83...

Great thread by the way :)

The Mackenzie Walker standard size bag will hold 14 clubs just fine.

The McKennon is about 1/2" smaller diameter and also holds 14 clubs just fine.

Mackenzie makes a small 'Sunday bag' that is designed for 8-9 clubs--I've never seen one to know how they carry, etc.

I have used my Mackenzie Walker for every round of golf this year. Carries great full of 14 clubs!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jgonz69' date='11 July 2010 - 03:22 PM' timestamp='1278876161' post='2568841']
anybody have this bag?

http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/merchandise/llama.html
[/quote]

I have one of the old nylon (I think that's the material)Peter Jacobson models which dates back to the late 90's, I think. Great bag. Still going strong. I understand the new ones are a different material, but I haven't seen one to be sure. I will likely buy one if mine ever wears out.

[quote name='AwkardTurtle' date='09 February 2010 - 11:37 PM' timestamp='1265773031' post='2240278']
[quote name='DL5treez' date='07 February 2010 - 01:25 AM' timestamp='1265523946' post='2233529']
I
I don't know really how to put it into words without writing a novel, [b]but it's sort of like the reason some people choose to pay money for vinyl over CD's even though the sound quality blows[/b], or drive a '62 Cadillac over a 2010 Cadillac that is more comfy, gets better mileage and doesn't break down every other week, or buy a 1969 Telecaster even though the Mexican one from 2008 sounds just as good if not better...

[/quote]

I'm sorry, what did you just say?
[/quote]

hahahaha, post of the year!

Fat Mike is my hero!

I only buy Vinyl and the sound quality is anything but sucks. As for those Mackenzie bags, if you want a nice small carry bag, go Titleist, they are great, cheap and when it rains your shirt isn't poop brown.

[quote name='dan360' date='07 February 2010 - 02:25 AM' timestamp='1265523946' post='2233529']
It's a nostalgia thing.

You play a round of golf with a Mackenzie bag..it's hard to describe in words...I edited a huge post out just to say that once you experience the feeling, you'll know it.

I don't know really how to put it into words without writing a novel, but it's sort of like the reason some [u]people choose to pay money for vinyl over CD's even though the sound quality blows[/u], or drive a '62 Cadillac over a 2010 Cadillac that is more comfy, gets better mileage and doesn't break down every other week, or buy a 1969 Telecaster even though the Mexican one from 2008 sounds just as good if not better...

It's hard to find an authentic 1940's leather bag in playable condition, so that is where Mackenzie comes in....although there is something that feels good about the minimalistic approach to golf club storage and cartage around a golf course...

Cheers
[/quote]

On the vinyl vs. CD's...audiophiles (and scientists as well) will tell you in no uncertain terms a properly cared for record sounds measurabley better than any CD ever did.

This bag reminds me ot the old vinyl carry bags we had that had sewn on letters with the name of the club or team...drawing a blank on the name of the manufacturer. I think they still make bags to this day, at a MUCH lower price.

[url="http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm"]http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm[/url]

[quote name='Dr. Bombay' date='12 July 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1278967730' post='2571205']
[quote name='dan360' date='07 February 2010 - 02:25 AM' timestamp='1265523946' post='2233529']
It's a nostalgia thing.

You play a round of golf with a Mackenzie bag..it's hard to describe in words...I edited a huge post out just to say that once you experience the feeling, you'll know it.

I don't know really how to put it into words without writing a novel, but it's sort of like the reason some [u]people choose to pay money for vinyl over CD's even though the sound quality blows[/u], or drive a '62 Cadillac over a 2010 Cadillac that is more comfy, gets better mileage and doesn't break down every other week, or buy a 1969 Telecaster even though the Mexican one from 2008 sounds just as good if not better...

It's hard to find an authentic 1940's leather bag in playable condition, so that is where Mackenzie comes in....although there is something that feels good about the minimalistic approach to golf club storage and cartage around a golf course...

Cheers
[/quote]

On the vinyl vs. CD's...audiophiles (and scientists as well) will tell you in no uncertain terms a properly cared for record sounds measurabley better than any CD ever did.

This bag reminds me ot the old vinyl carry bags we had that had sewn on letters with the name of the club or team...drawing a blank on the name of the manufacturer. I think they still make bags to this day, at a MUCH lower price.

[url="http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm"]http://electronics.h...question487.htm[/url]
[/quote]

As a vintage guitar collector I wasn't even going to touch his other remarks, he clearly has no idea what he is talking about. Go figure it's the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='JasonZ' timestamp='1278969632' post='2571311']
[quote name='Dr. Bombay' date='12 July 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1278967730' post='2571205']
It's a nostalgia thing.

Cheers
[/quote]

[url="http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm"]http://electronics.h...question487.htm[/url]
[/quote]

As a vintage guitar collector I wasn't even going to touch his other remarks, he clearly has no idea what he is talking about. Go figure it's the internet.
[/quote]

Or, perhaps, I do know what I'm talking about, and was posting the remark many would use as a question to why one would buy vinyl over a CD. Similar to what those of us get when we buy a single strap two pocket leather carry bag with no stand, no drink cooler, no tee holder, no scorecard clip, or no double strap equalizer support system, etc.

I listen to vinyl, I drive old cars, I play a vintage instrument, and I carry traditional golf bags. I also hear the "sound quality blows on vinyl" and the "your car is a polluter" and the "why spend all that cash on a guitar that sounds no better than my Squire?".....but I also know the truth how I see it.

....maybe it's because the written word comes across different, or I typed it incorrectly to be read that way, but hey, thanks for your opinions. They're like a$$holes ya know, everybody has one. Cheers

I cant wait to get my bag, should be here in less than a week. Regarding the bleeding color issue, I hope that Todd chims in, but as far as I am concerned if they live up to the warrante they will fix it for me. When I first called Todd about the bags I was on the fence about not only spending the money, but also purchasing the bag. After talking with Todd for about a hour, I just had to have one.

I will post pictures once I recive it.

[quote name='rjklein4470' timestamp='1281390771' post='2628608']
I cant wait to get my bag, should be here in less than a week. Regarding the bleeding color issue, I hope that Todd chims in, but as far as I am concerned if they live up to the warrante they will fix it for me. When I first called Todd about the bags I was on the fence about not only spending the money, but also purchasing the bag. After talking with Todd for about a hour, I just had to have one.

I will post pictures once I recive it.
[/quote]
You won't be disappointed. After wearing out 1 bag every season or 2 my MacKenzie Walker looks as fresh as the day I got it early last summer and at least 70 rounds ago!

Ok, as I said I talked to Todd about the bleeding issue. I also told him I was playing in our Club Championship ( big deal country club golf ), and a asked if he could check on my ETA. So I just get a email from Thom, sayiing that I will have my bag by thursday. My original delivery date was the week of the 16th. So not only did Todd answer the phone when I called, but I am gettin my bag a week early.