mackenzie golfbags?

I've been wanting a MacKenzie bag since I saw my Scratch guys carrying them when they were still in Oregon. Earlier this year, I bought a The Walking Golfer nylon bag, then yesterday dealt with a local guy for 2 bags. I'm hoping that I'll score another one here soon. I still beat myself by not seeing an ebay auction ended a month or two ago.... 1 nylon and 1 leather for $350 buy it now!!!

Here are mine.... the red one is worn but gives it some characters. And the Oregon DUCKS colored one, I just had to have that.

6243815570_71be95afcd.jpg

6242876720_15b86101eb.jpg

6242359763_268c8d6e61.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First I would like to say that these bags look amazing and they would make a great piece to any collection or even to decorate my office.

With that said- I just cannot imagine how practical they are. From the leather vs high tech fabric to not having a stand. I walk and carry 90% of the time and I could not imagine doing so without a stand. Maybe you get used to it?

I just think we bought into the multiple dividers, multiple pockets, stand bag because that's what the manufacturers are selling us. People say Ping makes the best stand bag. My Ping Voyage is the biggest POS, PITA stand bag I have ever owned. The dividers are archic and junk, the retractable strap system is stupid, you can never find the right balance and don't get me started on the stands. i literally would get pissed trying to get clubs in and out of that bag and put the bag down a certain way so the legs will pop out correctly. The only reason I bought it was because it says "Pumpkin Ridge" on it.

To answer your question... it's the simplicity. I can put my MacKenzie bag down anywhere, don't have to worry about downhill or sidehill with a stand bag, I take one club out, drop my bag down, hit my shot. I then pick my bag up, put my club in and start walking and think about my next shot.

Don't get me wrong, I have stand bags too. My Oregon Nike bag is a brilliant stand bag, my Titleist Japan stand bag is a great tour-style bag with legs and gets all kind of comments on the course, great on the cart, too. I like those stand bags, but I love my MacKenzie bags.

[quote name='Sweet Baby J' timestamp='1320301726' post='3753537']
I just think we bought into the multiple dividers, multiple pockets, stand bag because that's what the manufacturers are selling us. People say Ping makes the best stand bag. My Ping Voyage is the biggest POS, PITA stand bag I have ever owned. The dividers are archic and junk, the retractable strap system is stupid, you can never find the right balance and don't get me started on the stands. i literally would get pissed trying to get clubs in and out of that bag and put the bag down a certain way so the legs will pop out correctly. The only reason I bought it was because it says "Pumpkin Ridge" on it.

To answer your question... it's the simplicity. I can put my MacKenzie bag down anywhere, don't have to worry about downhill or sidehill with a stand bag, I take one club out, drop my bag down, hit my shot. I then pick my bag up, put my club in and start walking and think about my next shot.

Don't get me wrong, I have stand bags too. My Oregon Nike bag is a brilliant stand bag, my Titleist Japan stand bag is a great tour-style bag with legs and gets all kind of comments on the course, great on the cart, too. I like those stand bags, but I love my MacKenzie bags.
[/quote]

Incredible collection of bags!

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I just received my Mackenzie Walker ballistic nylon bag.

I love this bag. It is so simple and has a lot more room in the two pockets than I would have ever imagined. The bag is easy to carry, the quality is unreal and Todd is an excellent person to deal with. I can't really say enough good things about it. For $250 you just cant beat it. No annoying stands or gaudy logos. Very understated and tasteful.

A new Titleist or Ping bag costs anywhere from 120 to 200, why not spend the extra 50 and get something really nice.

My next purchase will be an all leather Mackenzie Bag and I will hand down the ballistic bag to my daughters or son when they start playing.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to receive the bag from the day you placed the order?

[quote name='glcoach' timestamp='1320768620' post='3775073']

I love this bag. It is so simple and has a lot more room in the two pockets than I would have ever imagined. The bag is easy to carry, the quality is unreal and Todd is an excellent person to deal with. I can't really say enough good things about it. For $250 you just cant beat it. No annoying stands or gaudy logos. Very understated and tasteful.

A new Titleist or Ping bag costs anywhere from 120 to 200, why not spend the extra 50 and get something really nice.

My next purchase will be an all leather Mackenzie Bag and I will hand down the ballistic bag to my daughters or son when they start playing.
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 100% with you.

They look awesome, but that's where it ends for me.

When you walk, you like to have a towel hangin that will stay dry, keep grass clippings from making a mess in the dewy mornings, etc....

I have to say, "I am a fan" But, won't be a customer.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1320251689' post='3750713']
First I would like to say that these bags look amazing and they would make a great piece to any collection or even to decorate my office.

With that said- I just cannot imagine how practical they are. From the leather vs high tech fabric to not having a stand. I walk and carry 90% of the time and I could not imagine doing so without a stand. Maybe you get used to it?
[/quote]

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='mat562' timestamp='1265491997' post='2232450']
I like plain and understated when it comes to my golf equipment, so it goes without saying that these bags are my cup of tea. I'm not sure I buy into the idea that having one makes you God's gift to retro style though, nor am I too keen on forking out the top side of four hundred quid for a pencil bag. I know the quality is undeniable, but that sort of money for what is, after all, a small carry bag, is a non-starter for me. I shall have to admire them from afar.
[/quote]

Well said, Mat562.

I don't dislike the bag but the price is ridiculous.

The re-emergence of the original Jones bag should provide a more realistically priced option for the retro, single strap, pencil bag crowd: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/555665-jones-sports-company-golf-bags-pics/page__st__30__p__3983047__hl__jones+golf+bag__fromsearch__1#entry3983047

• 1 month later...

[quote name='glcoach' timestamp='1320768620' post='3775073']

[/quote]

Would love to see some pics of your Ballistic ... what colour leather trim did you go for ?

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered and received a MacKenzie Sunday walker made out of all black ballistic nylon with black leather trim and my initials under the handle. The bag is really incredible and you can really make out the craftsmanship in its details. I loaded everything into the bag that I usually carry (6-7 balls, tees, ball repair tool, a few coins, towel, etc.) with my 14 clubs and it's very light...just as light as the Titliest Sunday Nylon bag I was using before. The MacKenzie's strap is very padded and has great balance allowing for multiple ways to carry. The bag is certainly more expensive than the $50 Titliest Bag I was using before, but I usually wore one out each season...I'm guessing the Mackenzie will last quite a bit longer. I'll post pictures when I can.

Overall, highly recommended!

I don't see how a discreet leather bag stands out more than a bright yellow and red staff bag.
I quite like them. They are a tad poseurish, but so are 80 percent of the bags out there. Have you seen those ghastly puma belt buckles some people wear these days?
[quote name='slicer5' timestamp='1265488653' post='2232358']
there is a lot of discussions about the mackenzie golf bags.some like them and some hate them.
my opinion is the following:i dont really like them,not the looks but i admire the quality.i dont like the old look on them,i think they stand out too much.

[attachment=535976:mackenzie.jpg]
[/quote]

Yamaha v202 Tour Diamana x 70
Yamaha V14 diamana stinger
RC 305V 18* diamana X 70
Yonex MB 3-P Nippon ORA
Zodia chiba masterpiece/spb
Epon Zen

[quote name='JapanOnly' timestamp='1330977262' post='4441927']
I don't see how a discreet leather bag stands out more than a bright yellow and red staff bag.
I quite like them. They are a tad poseurish, but so are 80 percent of the bags out there. Have you seen those ghastly puma belt buckles some people wear these days?
[quote name='slicer5' timestamp='1265488653' post='2232358']
there is a lot of discussions about the mackenzie golf bags.some like them and some hate them.
my opinion is the following:i dont really like them,not the looks but i admire the quality.i dont like the old look on them,i think they stand out too much.

[attachment=535976:mackenzie.jpg]
[/quote]
[/quote]

More "poseurish" than a staff bag?

[quote name='PatCCraig' timestamp='1330959310' post='4439837']
I just ordered and received a MacKenzie Sunday walker made out of all black ballistic nylon with black leather trim and my initials under the handle. The bag is really incredible and you can really make out the craftsmanship in its details. I loaded everything into the bag that I usually carry (6-7 balls, tees, ball repair tool, a few coins, towel, etc.) with my 14 clubs and it's very light...just as light as the Titliest Sunday Nylon bag I was using before. The MacKenzie's strap is very padded and has great balance allowing for multiple ways to carry. The bag is certainly more expensive than the $50 Titliest Bag I was using before, but I usually wore one out each season...I'm guessing the Mackenzie will last quite a bit longer. I'll post pictures when I can.

Overall, highly recommended!
[/quote]

I've got a Llama on the way ... went for the black ballistic nylon with tan leather trim, no initials but name inside the pocket. Really looking forward to the day it arrives!

Would be interested in seeing your pics to see what it looks like all in black ! I'd narrowed my trim choice down to tan, mahogany or black and it was tan that won the day.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I just got off the phone with Thom at Mackenzie placing my order. Black Ballistic, one pocket, Chocolate brown trim (I believe chocolate was the exact name i just said darker brown). I got my initials on the ball pocket.

Pretty stoked to start carrying this thing. Hopefully my Jan Craigs will go well with it.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I went and saw Todd today, dropped off a 2-tone brown walker to get reconditioned and updated, then picked up my 2 walkers that I dropped off previously.

Here's my prized one-off patchwork walker that I got from Ari. The other walker I picked up today is just the red one in one of my previous posts. Todd and his crew are awesome, the bag is like brand new again!

6814556896_a967880956.jpg

6960669419_8a80ec9d94.jpg

I'm excited to receive my MacKenzie Original walker. It's black leather with tan trim with the Miura logo, just like the one on the Miura website. It'll be interesting to see the responses of my playing partners... it is so impractical compared to modern stand bags. But I'm the type of guy that wears a wool sweater in a rain storm instead of goretex.

Neat looking old style bag but not for me!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I'd have to start playing at 3pm instead of 9am to use one of those. Most morning it would be soaking wet and covered in grass clippings like the spikes on my golf shoes within three holes. Lovely workmanship and great vibe to 'em though. Just couldn't possibly justify it for the dozen or so dry-weather, afternoon rounds a year when it would be practical for me.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1331134809' post='4454985']
I'd have to start playing at 3pm instead of 9am to use one of those. Most morning it would be soaking wet and covered in grass clippings like the spikes on my golf shoes within three holes. Lovely workmanship and great vibe to 'em though. Just couldn't possibly justify it for the dozen or so dry-weather, afternoon rounds a year when it would be practical for me.
[/quote]

Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense. I've been primarily using a $50 nylon Titliest Sunday bag w/ no stand for the past 3-4 years. I've never had an issue with the bag 1) being soaking wet, 2) being covered in grass clippings, or 3) ever having wet grips. For some reason fans of stand bags use the above to dismiss MacKenzie / Sunday bags as an everyday bag, but I've found them to be complete myths.

A leather bag will pick up moisture and be pretty heavy after playing in the rain...but not nylon.

Pat,

I don't know what we're doing very differently when we play on a wet course. I have one of those same $50 Titleist Sunday bags (also used to have a Ping one of similar design) and after a few holes it really does get quite wet. But I'm often playing barely behind the fairway irrigation sprinklers cutting off so during summer we're talking ankle-deep Bermuda that's just been soaked less than an hour before I'm there.

Thanks for posting the photos. Very nice.