mackenzie golfbags?

• 5 months later...

I've had my ballistic nylon (black with cream accents) one for two full seasons and I do really like it. It's very easy to carry and there's enough room for what I need.

I live in Minneapolis, so our season isn't the longest.

I do tend to move back to my stand bag for early spring and then again around Oct. 1. It is usually just pretty wet in the mornings at those times of the year, there's more mud and it takes longer each day for the dew to burn off. My clubs typically stay dry, but sometimes things in the bottom pocket get wet and I'm carrying a wet bag against me for much of the round. But from May-Sept, the Mackenzie is great.

Now if I know I'm going somewhere where we will be riding all the time, I'll likely go back to the stand bag. Same if the weather isn't going to be bad. But I have no regrets with my Mackenzie.

While I don't know that I want or need the leather one (as sweet as they look and feel), the waxed canvas also looks nice. Not sure I would pay retail for one, but I have been looking off on on on eBay for one.

Obviously happy to answer questions for anyone about the bag.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

Im on the lookout for a used ballistic nylon 8inch walker, if anyone has one they aren't into or moved up to leather or canvas and the ballistic isn't being used. PM me.

Anyone compare the ballistic to a jones players. Are they close to the same. Thanks, JT

I have both and they're nearly identical. The only different that I can tell (functionally) is that I much prefer the strap on the Mackenzie than I do the Jones. The Mackenzie strap just feels of much better quality and is softer and doesn't snag on my shirts on my shoulders like the Jones can (not that it does always). Jones strap seems a little wider (not thicker) and doesn't feel as comfortable to me. They are otherwise very very similar bags.

gib

Im on the lookout for a used ballistic nylon 8inch walker, if anyone has one they aren't into or moved up to leather or canvas and the ballistic isn't being used. PM me.

Anyone compare the ballistic to a jones players. Are they close to the same. Thanks, JT

I have both and they're nearly identical. The only different that I can tell (functionally) is that I much prefer the strap on the Mackenzie than I do the Jones. The Mackenzie strap just feels of much better quality and is softer and doesn't snag on my shirts on my shoulders like the Jones can (not that it does always). Jones strap seems a little wider (not thicker) and doesn't feel as comfortable to me. They are otherwise very very similar bags.

gib

Thanks for the info. Ive heard both...some say the mackenzie ballistic is a better version of Jones. Some say Jones is just as good. What about holding 14...do they both do a good enough job at that. A little bind doesn't bother me, but I def. like to carry 14 and even an extra putter here and there.

The Jones Players is certainly a knockoff of the Mackenzie.

I had the first all black Jones Players. It was decent, but I didn't like that the corner of the piece of fake leather just under the handle was pretty sharp, not flexible and would dig into my side when carrying the bag. That got old quickly.

I love my MacKenzie bag. It is a much nice version of the Jones bag. I have had no issues, but had a few issues with jones bags that warranted getting replacements. The Jones crew was always great about making it right, but I went with a MacKenzie and have no regrets. Such a great bag and it is just the way that I want it. I have a ballistic bag and went with camo. They made it with all of the little details that make it perfect for me.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9* w/ UST Linq Red 8F5

Callaway Rogue 3 LS Wood w/ UST Linq Blue 8F5

Callaway UW 19* w VA Baddazz 70X

Titleist T100 ‘21 4-9 w/ TT X100

Vokey 46* w/ TT X100

Vokey 50, 54 and 58* w/ BGT ZNE 130

L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 (Red) Broomstick

• 3 weeks later...

Got ahold of a black ballistic and just made the switch. Now just have to get a little clear in the weather. :taunt: Really liking the looks and feel. Fourteen fit fine...was worried but they just kept slippin in nice and easy. Needed a new bag and I mostly walk late day, never carry much extra stuff either...so felt like I was a perfect candidate to go old school. Quick basement pic.

• 1 month later...

gib

Thanks for the info. Ive heard both...some say the mackenzie ballistic is a better version of Jones. Some say Jones is just as good. What about holding 14...do they both do a good enough job at that. A little bind doesn't bother me, but I def. like to carry 14 and even an extra putter here and there.

I have had both and I wish the Mackenzie had the pockets set up like the Jones. For myself, the Jones two zipper pockets are nicer to use while playing than the Mack's bigger one (less fishing around with the Jones design). Quality wise? I miss my Mack but the Jones works well, looks good and will likely buy another of both brands. Both hold 14 clubs (big putter grip as well) quite easily. I have had equal complements on both.

Question for those that had the Jones Players and Mackenzie ballistic nylon- how does the quality/weight of the material compare?

I was disappointed in the quality/weight of the nylon used on the Player bag.

Thanks

I think the quality of the Mackenzie is much better than the Jones. I have not had any issues with my Mackenzie. Love the thing.

Yes, I do.

Does anyone with a Mackenzie bag use trestle sticks? The thing that supports the bag rather than placing it on the ground.

Yes, I do. I have a couple of them - a pair by Eliott Golf Bags and another set whose name escapes me right now. I don't ever put my bags down (I have a number of them) - not so much because of the bag, but just to save the back some.

They're great! Doubles as a walking stick the whole round.

Does anyone with a Mackenzie bag use trestle sticks? The thing that supports the bag rather than placing it on the ground.

I’ve used my Mack and Jones Players with my trestle sticks and found it a bit of a hassle. I don’t need or want a walking stick and I actually don’t mind laying down my bag down (it’s not that heavy:-). I’ll simply use my Greyson or Ping when I feel like a stand.

• 2 months later...

I didn’t play at all last year and barely the year before....but this year I’m feeling the fire again. So, I decided I needed another stand bag and ordered a SM2.5+. It’s a great bag...but I took it to the range once and I’m kinda already over it. I missed my MacKenzie. There is just something about them. I like simplicity and quality and that’s what MacKenzie bags are all about.

Been thinking of trying trestle sticks...but I agree that I really don’t mind the bag on the ground. I think I might still pick a set up for wet days, but otherwise probably leave them in the car.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I have a ballistic Mackenzie on order. What do Mack users do with their yardage laser? Strap it to the outside of the bag? Take it in & out of pocket each time? I’ve been a push cart guy for many years and am going back to carrying, with a 8-9 club set.

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB25 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

I have a ballistic Mackenzie on order. What do Mack users do with their yardage laser? Strap it to the outside of the bag? Take it in & out of pocket each time? I've been a push cart guy for many years and am going back to carrying, with a 8-9 club set.

I have done both, but I usually just toss the rangefinder in the pocket (along with a water bottle) and take it in and out of there. The pocket is actually pretty big.

I don’t have a rangefinder, tend to just use GPS app on my phone, but if I did I’d probably look for a spot to attach it around the handle or strap mount area. There is plenty of room in the pockets, but just would want to have to zip and unzip that evertime I need a distance.

Alternatively, if I didn’t have a water bottle with me I’d probably stash is in my water bottle pocket. If you didn’t request one you can see if you can still add one. I really like having the water bottle pocket on my ballistic.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I have a ballistic Mackenzie on order. What do Mack users do with their yardage laser? Strap it to the outside of the bag? Take it in & out of pocket each time? I've been a push cart guy for many years and am going back to carrying, with a 8-9 club set.

I have a ring added to the bag that I attach my range finder to and they were great about it as well.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9* w/ UST Linq Red 8F5

Callaway Rogue 3 LS Wood w/ UST Linq Blue 8F5

Callaway UW 19* w VA Baddazz 70X

Titleist T100 ‘21 4-9 w/ TT X100

Vokey 46* w/ TT X100

Vokey 50, 54 and 58* w/ BGT ZNE 130

L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 (Red) Broomstick

• 1 month later...

Wet morning 9 gave me an excuse to try my new trestle sticks from @claretdreamer on IG. Great set of sticks, works fantastically and my bag and back staid dry. My feet were another story...Nike Roshe Gs are very comfy but soak up water like a sponge.