mackenzie golfbags?

What are your guys' favourite types of Mackenzie's? What are the pros and cons of each?

I have a ballistic and love it. I've played 36 in a mist / occasional drizzle and I faired as well as I would have with my ping hoofers.

Part of the appeal for me was a return to simple golf and the minimalist aspects of these bags. I got some good advice from Nic at Mackenzie and the Sugarloaf Social Club folks who are big Mackenzie users and ended up only getting the one main pocket on mine. I keep 6 balls in my bag and have a small pouch to keep my tees, marks, etc organized. They all come with a clip inside the pocket for key rings. Otherwise I have leftover space for a rolled up jacket and a water bottle. What else do you really need?

If you always want to have your rain gear handy then get the second big pocket. Otherwise it looks kind of wawakrd in my opinion to have the extra fabric flopping around.

The ballistic nylon and waxed canvas have different looks and are both great in their own ways. Ended up going with the nylon for my first bag but could see myself getting a waxed a few years down the road. Leather looks nice and respect them a lot but not the look I want and not worth the price.

Also there are more color choices with nylon vs wax canvas. I instead went witj Eliott because of thd availability of dual strap and he was great to work with

I've completely switched over from MacKenzie bags to Elliot. IMO they are better in every single way. They are less money. They use higher quality leather. They offer more options and in fact will do just about anything you could ask for. They also get your bag done in a reasonable amount of time. I have 10 MacKenzie bags and I now have 3 Elliots and there is no comparison imo.

This post is worthless without pics. :)

What are your guys' favourite types of Mackenzie's? What are the pros and cons of each?

I have a ballistic and love it. I've played 36 in a mist / occasional drizzle and I faired as well as I would have with my ping hoofers.

Part of the appeal for me was a return to simple golf and the minimalist aspects of these bags. I got some good advice from Nic at Mackenzie and the Sugarloaf Social Club folks who are big Mackenzie users and ended up only getting the one main pocket on mine. I keep 6 balls in my bag and have a small pouch to keep my tees, marks, etc organized. They all come with a clip inside the pocket for key rings. Otherwise I have leftover space for a rolled up jacket and a water bottle. What else do you really need?

If you always want to have your rain gear handy then get the second big pocket. Otherwise it looks kind of wawakrd in my opinion to have the extra fabric flopping around.

The ballistic nylon and waxed canvas have different looks and are both great in their own ways. Ended up going with the nylon for my first bag but could see myself getting a waxed a few years down the road. Leather looks nice and respect them a lot but not the look I want and not worth the price.

Also there are more color choices with nylon vs wax canvas. I instead went witj Eliott because of thd availability of dual strap and he was great to work with

I've completely switched over from MacKenzie bags to Elliot. IMO they are better in every single way. They are less money. They use higher quality leather. They offer more options and in fact will do just about anything you could ask for. They also get your bag done in a reasonable amount of time. I have 10 MacKenzie bags and I now have 3 Elliots and there is no comparison imo.

Just got my first Elliot and love it. Scott was so good to work with. I have the dual strap that McKenzie was not willing to do

Another post that's worthless without pics! :P

I think they're both outstanding bags. I think Eliott uses better quality leather, but I think Mackenzie bags have perfect balance. I have 2 Eliott bags and about 6 or 7 Mackenzie Bags.

Here are a couple of pics of my Mackenzies.

This post is worthless without pics. :)

Here is my Eliott bag

Has anybody purchased one of these bags used? Or did you buy it new?

Not easy to find used but my first Mackenzie was a used one that I miraculously found locally. It was a green/white nylon bag that was made for Criquet shirts. Great bag and let me test drive the whole Mackenzie thing. I didn’t keep it long and went back to a stand bag for a while but eventually custom ordered my current navy bag that I use.

If you find one in good shape I’d say go for it, but they just don’t come up very often.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I'm very interested in the Mackenzie nylon bag. How does it compare to the Jones players bag?

Very similar bags. I like the 2 bag layout better of the Mackenzie, but really like the simply drink pocket of the Players.

What does it for me with Mackenzie bags is that they have the perfect balance. No matter what I have in the bag, the number of clubs, it's always perfectly balanced.

Mackenzies are at least 2x the price.

I'm very interested in the Mackenzie nylon bag. How does it compare to the Jones players bag?

Very similar bags. I like the 2 bag layout better of the Mackenzie, but really like the simply drink pocket of the Players.

What does it for me with Mackenzie bags is that they have the perfect balance. No matter what I have in the bag, the number of clubs, it's always perfectly balanced.

Mackenzies are at least 2x the price.

How do the straps compare between the two?

I'm looking a building a Mac Bag right now and have a question regarding going with one or two pockets. I carry very little in my bag during a round, cell phone, two sleeves of golf balls, a Seamus valuables pouch, my sunglasses case and usually a water bottle or coffee thermos. Right now I have a Jones original bag which fits all of my stuff no problem.

I can see where a one pocket Mac Bag would have no problem with this load on normal days, but my questions question would be, would I still have room to stuff a jacket or sweater in the one pocket model, or should I opt for the two pocket bag if I need this consideration? I live in SoCal, and play early morning rounds which usually start chilly, but warm up to short sleeve weather 7-9 holes in. We also typically have and idea when bad weather is coming, and I know that I will never shove rain gear in the bag since I would opt for my Jones bag if it were going to be nasty out.

Thanks for any help out there.

Pwood,

I have the 2-pocket Mackenzie and I'm glad that I do.

The lower pocket doesn't usually have much in it - usually just my valuables pouch, a bag with tees/ball markers, maybe an extra glove. But when I need to carry a jacket or it is one of those days when you start with a 1/4 zip or something and take it off a few holes in, that all goes in the bottom pocket.

I keep balls, a water bottle and my range finder in the top pocket.

I'd have a tough time with only one pocket. I'm a bit of a pack rat, but that pocket would be totally jammed and you might have to attach a rangefinder case to the outside of the bag.

I'm looking a building a Mac Bag right now and have a question regarding going with one or two pockets. I carry very little in my bag during a round, cell phone, two sleeves of golf balls, a Seamus valuables pouch, my sunglasses case and usually a water bottle or coffee thermos. Right now I have a Jones original bag which fits all of my stuff no problem.

I can see where a one pocket Mac Bag would have no problem with this load on normal days, but my questions question would be, would I still have room to stuff a jacket or sweater in the one pocket model, or should I opt for the two pocket bag if I need this consideration? I live in SoCal, and play early morning rounds which usually start chilly, but warm up to short sleeve weather 7-9 holes in. We also typically have and idea when bad weather is coming, and I know that I will never shove rain gear in the bag since I would opt for my Jones bag if it were going to be nasty out.

Thanks for any help out there.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

• 3 weeks later...

Really keen on getting a Mackenzie bag. Can anyone comment on the size and weight difference between the original Walker (2 pocket) and the Sunday (1 pocket).

This will not be my main bag, but something to use for a quick 9 in the evening and heading to the club for practice.

I enjoy only owned the Original Walker in ballistic but I’ve picked up a Sunday Walker in canvas and it didn’t seem all that different weight wise. I think the lack of pocket and the smaller diameter will be what is noticed.

Do you plan on carrying a full set of clubs or a small set? In my Original I can fit a full set of clubs but I wouldn’t want to do so in anything smaller, like the Sunday. I only carry 7 or 8 clubs though and I’d really like to add a Sunday Walker to slim things down a little. In nice weather I think that will be enough to get me by and then I’d switch to my original al at the beginning and end of season when I may need to stash a jacket or something in that second pocket.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

Loving the discussion in this thread.

Not a Mackenize user (hope too...one day) but I really appreciate the simplistic approach of these brands (Mackenzie/Eliott/Jones/etc.) Lugging around one of these (Jones Original user here), it has made me re-evaluate all the USELESS SHAT that I've carried around over the years (always too much!). It is amazing how light and balanced these bags can be with a full load with only the necessities. Switching over from a cart bag w/Clic Gear (Push Cart Mafia!), it has totally changed my view on walking the course.

The only reason I still keep a stand bag around is for wet weather; the early & late season (when the ground is damp up here in Ontario) and for an option when I play tournaments (if the forecast is diecy- rain gear/umbrella - also fit better on a push cart or golf cart if need be due to the weather)

TaylorMade M4 (9.5*) -- w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+60 (X-stiff)
TaylorMade M1 3HL (17*) -- w/ UST Mamiya Proforce V2 7F4 (stiff)
Titleist 913F (19*) - Mitsubishi Diamana BB S+ 72 (stiff)
TaylorMade Tour Preferred (4-PW) -- w/ TT Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey SM6 M Grind (54*) 
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind (60*)
Odyssey Stroke Lab - One - w/ Super Stroke Flatso 2.0

If you travel light, go for the Original Walker (larger top opening) but with a single zippered pouch. The Sunday bag is tight for a full 14 clubs. In the summer, the bottom pouch rarely has anything in it (extra gloves, 2nd sleeve of balls). Everything else fits in the top pouch (3 balls, ditty bag with tees, ball markers etc, Hydroflask).

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Slide, you'll love the Sunday with 8 clubs. Been doing it for a few seasons, anything more seems like wretched excess.

Nice! Yeah, I think I’m going to have to get one this spring. Probably in waxed canvas I think....just need to figure out what colors to order.

Really keen on getting a Mackenzie bag. Can anyone comment on the size and weight difference between the original Walker (2 pocket) and the Sunday (1 pocket).

This will not be my main bag, but something to use for a quick 9 in the evening and heading to the club for practice.

Do you plan on carrying a full set of clubs or a small set? In my Original I can fit a full set of clubs but I wouldn’t want to do so in anything smaller, like the Sunday. I only carry 7 or 8 clubs though and I’d really like to add a Sunday Walker to slim things down a little. In nice weather I think that will be enough to get me by and then I’d switch to my original al at the beginning and end of season when I may need to stash a jacket or something in that second pocket.

Planning on carrying half set, maximum 9 clubs. Although if I like the bag enough then I may do the full 14 occasionally but the main purpose is to go minimal

Fellas,

any of you traveled (checked in on airplane) with a mack? Im wondering how you did it and how it held up, and the reason im wondering is because normally i travel with a stand bag that has a rain hood so i can fit the stiff arm in there and keep the clubs "in place".

Im under the impression that rain hoods are NEEDED when travelng to avoid the clubs falling out of the bag... any tips?

Fellas,

any of you traveled (checked in on airplane) with a mack? Im wondering how you did it and how it held up, and the reason im wondering is because normally i travel with a stand bag that has a rain hood so i can fit the stiff arm in there and keep the clubs "in place".

Im under the impression that rain hoods are NEEDED when travelng to avoid the clubs falling out of the bag... any tips?

Do you have a proper travel bag? I have the ClubGlove Collegiate and haven't had any issues when using a Stiff Arm with a Jones bag.

Recently Fedex'ed clubs in my Mackenzie 1pocket Ballistic and ClubGlove Collegiate and everything held up fine. Used a stiff arm and stuffed towel and a few clothes around club heads and all was ok. Bagged sagged a bit down exposing more shaft then when I ship in a more rigid stand bag, but otherwise worked fine. Fedex does make you put it in a big box or you get charged more which may have helped a bit.

If you buy a MacKenzie they come with a rain hood. It is the most UGLY thing ever :) but they include one (or at least used to) and it keeps the clubs in the bag and the stiff arm too. Both my leather one and waxed canvas one have them.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

If you buy a MacKenzie they come with a rain hood. It is the most UGLY thing ever :) but they include one (or at least used to) and it keeps the clubs in the bag and the stiff arm too. Both my leather one and waxed canvas one have them.

that policy is long gone id say. Bought my mack last year (balistic) and received no rain hood. or maybe they dont do it with the ballisti cnylon ones.

i do have a proper travel bag, i just fear that the clubs will slip out because of the significant height difference between the travel bag and the golf bag.

Interesting... Perhaps it is only for the leather or waxed canvas, or maybe just flat out discontinued.

Regardless, it was unattractive to say the least, but it was useful when travelling with the bag. C'est la vie...

Old stuff:

New stuff
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Yeah, I think they stopped with the rain hoods. I did get one with my nylon bag when I ordered it a few years back so they did them on the nylon ones even back then. But I’ve heard other reports that they no longer come with them.

No biggie, I’ve used mine once or twice in a few years is all. Can live without it. In the process of ordering a Sunday Walker in ballistic, excited to add it to my Original Walker.

Placed my order this weekend for a Sunday Walker. Ballistic nylon in charcoal with cream and navy leather trim and accent. Few slight tweaks to the standard config. Should be perfect for my 7 or 8 club set. Excited to see it when it’s done.

Placed my order this weekend for a Sunday Walker. Ballistic nylon in charcoal with cream and navy leather trim and accent. Few slight tweaks to the standard config. Should be perfect for my 7 or 8 club set. Excited to see it when it’s done.

Can this bag carry 14 if you wanted?

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------