mackenzie golfbags?

• 4 weeks later...

> @dpark said:

> If you buy a MacKenzie they come with a rain hood. It is the most UGLY thing ever (Image)

> /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> but they include one (or at least used to) and it keeps the clubs in the bag and the stiff arm too. Both my leather one and waxed canvas one have them.

Do you prefer the wax or leather mac?

I like them both. In the summer I use the leather bag almost exclusively. In the spring/fall, due to the wet ground, I use the waxed canvas as it repels water much better than the leather. Surprisingly, they weigh about the same so the decision is not driven by weight but the presence of water.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

> @EVandy said:

> I put my towel through the handle. Seems to work well

Actually, I "loop" my towel through the handle. I have lost towels by only "passing it through" the handle. Looping the towel through the handle one complete turn has solved the problem. Learned that from a caddie at Bandon.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

• 4 weeks later...

> @EVandy said:

> Thank you! It is super high quality, can tell it is built to last. Currently trying to figure out the best way to organize my full set in it > @simpy19 said:

> > @EVandy what’s your impression of the bag after working through the process? Looks great.

>

>

Great color combo. About to pull the trigger on this same look. Is that a single pocket? Any add ons or modifications?

Ping G425 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X

Callaway UW 19* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 8X

Srixon ZX MkII 4U / Nippon Modus GOST X

Ping i230 5-P / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100

Titleist SM10 50.08F / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 54.10S / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 60.04T / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping PLD Custom Prime Tyne S / BGT Stability Tour Black

Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

Just gotta share this...no pics as I made a point of leaving my phone in my truck while I was golfing yesterday.

I played 36 holes yesterday (trying to enjoy the last 'nice' day before we get rain/snow this weekend) and what a great bag for walking that many holes. Normally after that kind of day, my feet, legs, back and shoulders are sore if I'm using a 'current' stand bag. I have a 2019 Titleist Stadry that I've been gaming the past few weeks due to our wet fall weather. But it was so nice to get out yesterday with my Mac and just enjoy simple golf. Not a lot of extras, but honestly I wasn't missing a thing from my bag...Laser, tees, balls...what more is needed?

Just had a great time and I loved carrying that bag. It's such a great time a year to get out and golf and using my Mac just reminded me how simple golf can be if we let it(Also played really well so that helped too!!)

• Like 1

For you guys that have used one for a while, do you still carry it in the fall when it stays wetter/muddier or do you use a regular stand bag? I have been using mine with trestle sticks almost all summer and except when there is a high chance of rain I've never had any issues. Just hate to get the bag all muddy but I don't want to go back to a regular stand bag either.

I use mine, it’s never really gotten that dirty. Even when it’s really wet I don’t often encounter open spots of mud on the course. It may get a bit dirtier than normal but I just wipe it off when I get home and then once dry brush any remaining dirt off. I too use trestle sticks which I think are really useful in wet conditions. I played a decent amount of golf this year and have used nothing but my two Mackenzies and I’m not dont yet so will keep using it until the snow flies.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

When I walk (which is most of the time) I use my Mac and trestle sticks. Been caught in the rain a few times but just dried the bag off when I got home - then came back with a leather cleaner. Played today in Chicago, cool, cloudy and a little damp. My shoes picked up more gunk than my bag.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Have any of you guys done a side by side from a weight perspective with your old stand bag and new Macs? Last night, I went through my entire bag and weighted everything down to the 6 ball markers and 19 tees I had in my bag. Here are some highlights:

• Current Total Bag Weight: 22.2 pounds

• Going to Mac from Ping Hoofer Lite with added D Ring (because there’s not one stock)

o Should save 1.8 pounds or 28.8 oz.

• If I cut the excess stuff from my bag I can save a full pound. Examples and approximate weights:

o Do away with Range finder case and hold it in Mac pocket (looks super ugly hanging a Bushnell from a Mac): ~3 oz. savings

o Carry 4 balls instead of six: 3.25 oz. savings

o Cut ball markers down to two: ~ 1 oz. of savings

o Don’t use carabiner for towel, & replace with Cayce Caddie towel: ~2 oz. savings

o Don’t use brush, use Cayce Caddie towel to clean clubs: ~1.5 oz.

o Don’t carry full wallet: ~3.25 oz. savings

o Cut tees from 18 to 9 (5 long 4 short): ~0.5 oz. savings

o Leave the athletic tape in the car: ~1.5 oz.

• New Expected Bag Weight: 19.4 or savings of 12.6%

@jcolton for me, they were at first. I almost regretted getting them and wouldn't use all that often. But they are actually really easy to use and being able to keep your bag off the wet grass for early morning rounds (the majority of my rounds) has been fantastic. I've been using them a lot lately and now it's like second nature. I slide them into my bag after almost every shot unless it's a very short walk and just grab and deploy before setting down the bag. It sometimes makes getting a club out a little trickier but it's not too much of a problem. For me it also saves a little time and wear and tear on my back not having to bend over to pick up my clubs.

• Like 1

I don't even notice the trestle sticks anymore, I pick up the bag, grab the trestle sticks in my left hand and off I go. Sticks make a good walking staff when walking down a slick hill. Once you play a few rounds with them, you'll be hooked.

I ordered some trestle sticks with my bag from Tim Alpaugh, AKA Claret Dreamer. I believe he makes them for MacKenzie. What's nice about his version is that they have a leather strap that helps cradle the bag. People seem to like them, so we'll see if they work out well.

Anyone else experience this version?

> @MattStrube said:

> I ordered some trestle sticks with my bag from Tim Alpaugh, AKA Claret Dreamer. I believe he makes them for MacKenzie. What's nice about his version is that they have a leather strap that helps cradle the bag. People seem to like them, so we'll see if they work out well.

>

> Anyone else experience this version?

I saw those and found it really interesting. I haven't tried them but they do look really nice and think they will work well. His other trestle sticks work great, but these might be a big improvement. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on them.

> @rwc356 said:

> I don't even notice the trestle sticks anymore, I pick up the bag, grab the trestle sticks in my left hand and off I go. Sticks make a good walking staff when walking down a slick hill. Once you play a few rounds with them, you'll be hooked.

Same here. I originally got them for wet weather use but now I use them 90% of the time I'd say. Every now and then I'll set my bag on the ground but I mostly use the trestle sticks as I've grown to like walking with them as a walking stick and I find it quicker and easier to deploy them then to set the bag on the ground and pick it back up. Especially when I need to rummage in the pocket for something. I was surprised at how quick and easy they were to use once you get used to them.

• Like 1

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

> @MattStrube said:

> Does anyone also have a Sunday bag? I just got a used Seamus while I wait for the Mac. All 14 shovels fit which has me thinking ? Maybe I don’t need that huge Mac. Hahahahaha

I have a Sunday Walker bag and typically carry 7-8 clubs. Tried it with 14 and while they fit - it seemed like I was fighting grips each time I tried to take a club out or put it back in the bag. Mackenzie web site says the bag has a 7 inch diameter and will hold 14 clubs. Certainly would be an issue if you have a "fat" putter grip or use oversized grips on your clubs.

Love the bag - have had it for almost 10 years!!

> @MattStrube said:

> Does anyone also have a Sunday bag? I just got a used Seamus while I wait for the Mac. All 14 shovels fit which has me thinking ? Maybe I don’t need that huge Mac. Hahahahaha

I have both a standard Walker and a Sunday Walker. For me, the Sunday functionally tops out at 9-10 clubs. Doesn’t mean you can fit more, but that’s the line between works great and feels tight for me. That is with midsize grips though, so standard grips may help get a few more in comfortably. Standard Walker will do 14 no problem, but I never carry that many clubs. All this year I’ve used the Sunday Walker with 8-9 clubs and it’s been fantastic!

• Like 1