mackenzie golfbags?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1363423662' post='6622519']
I was just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the [b]canvas[/b]/leather style bag that MacKenzie introduced last year.

Many thanks!
[/quote]picked up Mackenzie balistic walker while at bandon in the fall.love the bag .holds all you really need , windbreaker ,rangefinder,and all the balls and tee's your going to need .really comfortable to carry..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='paul.r' timestamp='1368800908' post='7053258']
Walked 9 with the 7" Ballistic Sunday Walker last night. Great bag. Am really glad I decided to move from the Moonlite II.
[/quote]
They really are great bags. I have turned probably 20 rounds with the ballistic this year. I mean it may not be the most practical, as it only has 1 strap and no stand, but its the best looking sunday bag (imo) and its super light/easy to carry. I like to just throw 6-8 balls in there, a handful of tees, couple divot repair tools and my range finder. On cold days or rainy days I just tie my jacket around the base of the strap. It's perfect for me really.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I was specifically looking for a one strap, no leg bag, so it's pretty much perfect. The storage of raingear in the one pocket 7" model does have me somewhat concerned, but like you said, if I ever pack the gear and end up shedding it, I'll find a place to strap it to if I can't pack everything in the pocket.

The 8" two pocket model probably would be better for that, but I don't play in raingear very often so the smaller bag works well for me.

[quote name='paul.r' timestamp='1369244884' post='7086274']
I was specifically looking for a one strap, no leg bag, so it's pretty much perfect. The storage of raingear in the one pocket 7" model does have me somewhat concerned, but like you said, if I ever pack the gear and end up shedding it, I'll find a place to strap it to if I can't pack everything in the pocket.

The 8" two pocket model probably would be better for that, but I don't play in raingear very often so the smaller bag works well for me.
[/quote]

Yeah I mean the 1 pocket is really great for me. Yeah there is no good place to put rain gear or a jacket when it's chilly. But I just fold it in half and tie the sleeves to the body of the jacket around the strap. It doesn't get in the way whatsoever while carrying it. I has worked out perfect for me. When I wear a vest, if I shed it and can't tie it around the strap, I just stick it in my Wife's Sun Mountain bag and make her carry it.... I'm that guy....

The 1 pocket is big enough to throw my Bushnell in and some balls, and some misc. stuff. I love the little hook inside the pocket and I generally hook my car keys to it so I can ensure they wont get lose or fall out of the pocket as I get my bushnell in and out.

I have also used the bag on a cart once or twice and really have had no issues.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

• 2 weeks later...

I have the two pocket Ballistic ordered from the Bandon website. Absolutely love carrying it. Used to use a Swift X on a ClicGear 3.0 but really got used to slinging over my shoulder. In the rain I once tried to put it on the ClicGear to avoid laying it down, but found that because of the soft bottom, the bottom of the bag would scrape the front wheel.

Learned my lesson trying to put a MacKenzie on a trolley!

Easily carries 14 clubs but found I play better and carries easier w/o the 4i, GW and LW.

• 2 months later...

Alot of people complain that MacKenzies don't come in a stand version, and that the thought of the bag lying on wet grass puts them off.

So I tried my Ballistic with my "hickory sticks" that I use when I'm playing hickory golf. Happy to report that it works very well!

[attachment=1861007:MacKenzie with Stand.jpg]

My 76 year old non-golfing dad made me these bag sticks for my birthday this year. They get alot of compliments on the fairways ... "cool" being the most frequent observation!

Really easy to use, very lightweight, and the bag has fallen over just once in the dozen or so rounds I have used them.

So yes, MacKenzie's do come with a stand option :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I love them and just ordered 12 of them for my college team.

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1378137155' post='7785695']
Alot of people complain that MacKenzies don't come in a stand version, and that the thought of the bag lying on wet grass puts them off.

So I tried my Ballistic with my "hickory sticks" that I use when I'm playing hickory golf. Happy to report that it works very well!

[attachment=1861007:MacKenzie with Stand.jpg]

My 76 year old non-golfing dad made me these bag sticks for my birthday this year. They get alot of compliments on the fairways ... "cool" being the most frequent observation!

Really easy to use, very lightweight, and the bag has fallen over just once in the dozen or so rounds I have used them.

So yes, MacKenzie's do come with a stand option :)
[/quote]

Nice solution, but not really necessary IMHO. I finally have one and playing in Portland I can attest to the fact that the bag holds up quite well when it is damp. I haven't (and wouldn't) use it in a pouring rain, but in light rain and on dew-sweeper mornings I just drop the bag on the ground and have no problems. The leather is thick enough that during the course of a round water doesn't seem to penetrate to the inside from sitting on the wet ground.

I also have not had any problems with "bleeding". My bag is a light tan with dark blue, and the shoulder strap is also dark blue. I wear white shirts a lot and have never had any of the blue leech onto my shirts.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

[quote name='LPG23' timestamp='1389741570' post='8461305']
Is anyone gaming a Waxed Canvas Walker. Looks interesting and wondered if anyone had any comments.
[/quote]

I have the waxed canvas. It is a bit heavier than the ballistic material but actually repels water nicely. Looks really sharp too. I love it.

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered a ballistic "special" this week with burgandy trim and pockets w/ matching HCs. I've seen a few and can't wait to get this thing on the course! Will give an honest review in a couple months after received and used some. I will say this, I've used the HCs for several years and there are the best I've ever had (and i've tried about all of them).

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway XR 3Deep 14* Aerotech Ti-Fiber 70 F5
Srixon u45 20* Nunchuk Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 Mk II 4 iron  Nippon Modus 105x

Srixon ZX7 5-AW  Nippon Modus 120x

Taylormade MG4 54* SB, 60* TW True Temper TI s400
LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

• 2 months later...

I've had my bag for a little bit now and have a handful of rounds on it and wanted to give the quick review I promised. When ordering something custom, I think the experience of actually purchasing the bag is worth commenting on first. I've ordered headcovers from Mackenzie before and this was a pretty similar experience for me. Generally, takes a while, and since there was a backorder on leather I chose, it took a few weeks longer than I was originally quoted. When it showed up, they had missed one upgrade I requested which was to have leather pocket fronts, so I was disappointed in that but was offered to redo the bag. After thinking about it, I just decided to keep it as I really loved the bag and didn't really want to wait another couple months for a redo. So overall, the buying experience wasn't ideal, but communication was decent and they seemed ready to fix any problems.

So I've owned literally every kind of stand bag etc over the last 10 years including trying push carts etc trying to find the ideal walking golf experience. Overall, the main conclusion I've come to is weight is absolutely paramount and everything else is kinda overkill as long as the clubs fit comfortably and the strap(s) are comfortable. I have used sunday bags before (Ping Moonlite) that didn't have legs, so I wasn't too worried about the no legs part, but in the moonlite, clubs were tight and hard to get in and out for a full set. The Mackenzie seems fine for a full set and haven't had any trouble moving clubs in and out. Also, I played twice on wet mornings and didn't have any trouble w/ the clubs getting wet from the ground. The ballistic nylon seems to keep the water out for the most part. The single strap is comfortable and the fingerloop is right where you need it to balance the bag carrying the clubs forward or backward. The bag itself was between 2-3 lbs and carried very light. I let a friend try it out for a short carry and he asked if I had a full set of clubs in it. I also had to take a cart for a 4ball tourney I played in this week and the bag did fine in the cart...not a problem at all for those times you need a cart. Going to take some pics soon to add, but consider me a fan. I love the leather, but for just pure gaming, I think the ballistic nylon w/ leather trim is a great selection. I think it will wear really well and is lighter. Pics to come shortly....

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway XR 3Deep 14* Aerotech Ti-Fiber 70 F5
Srixon u45 20* Nunchuk Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 Mk II 4 iron  Nippon Modus 105x

Srixon ZX7 5-AW  Nippon Modus 120x

Taylormade MG4 54* SB, 60* TW True Temper TI s400
LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

• 8 months later...

I've played with the ballistic bag for a couple of years now. I practically use it all the time; sun, rain, snow, strapped on golf cart, whatever. Mostly it's great but sometimes I wish it had a double strap because when it's really hot out I would like the extra support. MacKenzie will never make a double strap; too bad.

Meeting up with a buddy tomorrow to play in a 4-man scramble at a "carts required" course....I'm feeling very guilty about the prospect of subjecting my Mackenzie to a golf cart, but I can't bring myself to pull my clubs and put them into my old bag either.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Grave dig, but are people still having issues with the new Mackenzie bags bleeding color?

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

• 3 months later...

I had not heard of this. I just picked up a new nylon Mackenzie bag that has a leather and nylon carry strap, if it bleeds this summer I will let you know.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

• 4 weeks later...

I had not heard of this. I just picked up a new nylon Mackenzie bag that has a leather and nylon carry strap, if it bleeds this summer I will let you know.

Cool thanks. Mine never did, but there were reports some were. I think it was quite limited, though.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21