mackenzie golfbags?

[quote name='b_riedy' timestamp='1288055392' post='2759217']
I received my MacKenzie Llama (ballistic Nylon Walker) today and as requested, I am attaching a few pics. This bag is BEAUTIFUL, great quality, and I am glad I went the ballistic nylon route; although the leather bags look great, I was just afraid that I would baby them too much. The bag is black nylon and Tan leather (trim).

I will post a more formal and detailed review once I get a chance to use the bag on the course, but just toting the bag around the house, it seems very light weight and balances wonderfully. I don't think the transition to single strap will be any problem and I walk 80% of the time. The only thing I will need to get adjusted to is removing and placing the clubs in the bag. It seems natural to stand the bag upright, grab the top ring/opening of the bag, and remove a club. Although I am probably babying the bag too much, I just hope this doesn't wear out the stitching on the top opening of the bag. If you are interested, I highly recommend the MacKenzie products and company; Thom was great to work with!

Any recommendations from MacKenzie owners on care for the leather/bag? I want this thing to last Many, Many, Many years.

Sorry for the quality of pics, I will have to take some in better lighting. A full tan hybrid headcover is on its way to complement the bag!!!
Enjoy!

[attachment=675166:DSC_0002.jpg]
[attachment=675165:DSC_0001.jpg]
[attachment=675167:DSC_0003.jpg]
[attachment=675168:DSC_0008.jpg]
[/quote]

Beautiful bag!
Thanks for the review

Any recommendations from MacKenzie owners on care for the leather/bag? I want this thing to last Many, Many, Many years.

[/quote]

I use the same leather care products on the bag that I use on my jackets and car seats. Connolly Hide Care kits.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I guess I lean more toward the modern "sport" look of a PING or Titleist bag.

To each his own...

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13) Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17) Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X Odyssey Sabertooth www.YourGolfHeadcovers.com

• 2 weeks later...

I received my MacKenzie Llama (ballistic Nylon Walker) today and as requested, I am attaching a few pics. This bag is BEAUTIFUL, great quality, and I am glad I went the ballistic nylon route; although the leather bags look great, I was just afraid that I would baby them too much. The bag is black nylon and Tan leather (trim).

I will post a more formal and detailed review once I get a chance to use the bag on the course, but just toting the bag around the house, it seems very light weight and balances wonderfully. I don't think the transition to single strap will be any problem and I walk 80% of the time. The only thing I will need to get adjusted to is removing and placing the clubs in the bag. It seems natural to stand the bag upright, grab the top ring/opening of the bag, and remove a club. Although I am probably babying the bag too much, I just hope this doesn't wear out the stitching on the top opening of the bag. If you are interested, I highly recommend the MacKenzie products and company; Thom was great to work with!

Sorry for the quality of pics, I will have to take some in better lighting. A full tan hybrid headcover is on its way to complement the bag!!!
Enjoy!

[attachment=675166:DSC_0002.jpg]
[attachment=675165:DSC_0001.jpg]
[attachment=675167:DSC_0003.jpg]
[attachment=675168:DSC_0008.jpg]
[/quote]

This bag seems not to have the water bottle sleeve. Is that correct? Am I correct?

Anyway, beautiful bag.

Marco

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose that I may be missing something here, but I really don't understand why anyone, given the improvements in carry bags in the last 30 years, would want to shoulder one of these heavy, poorly designed, relics of 1940's amd 50's golf, and walk 18 holes. I n that era I did, because that was the only kind of carry bags around. Thankfully, I'm 73, still walking and playing to a single number hdcp., and doing it in reasonable comfort, thanks to the improvements
in carry bag design and ergonomics. Just saying :rolleyes:

I have Llama version from the "The Walking Golfer" site that has the sleeve for the water bottle. It fits a decent size bottle. I have not noticed this bag being any heavier than the Sun Mountain 3.5 I was using before I got this bag. The change to the single strap from the double strap system was a concern. But the single strap on the Llama is comfortable and well padded so it was not as difficult as I thought it would be. The biggest adjustment for me was going back to laying the bag on the ground and making sure I kept my towel dry. The best thing I found was to wrap the towel between my clubs. Overall, I would saying carrying this bag is not any more of a burden than the stand bag I was using previously. I definitely like the style better, mine is basic black with a single logo below the handle.

The other advantage I found with this bag is that when I am forced to use a cart, this bag fits on the cart much better than the Sun Mountain did. You had to turn the Sun Mountain backwards for it to fit into the back of a cart.

[b][color=#000080]Driver[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]M3; 10[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]3 Wood[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour TC; 16[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Mizuno Fli-Hi; 21[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour HDI Hybrid; 25[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]5 iron to PW[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby MMB[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Maltby Tour Grind MG; 52[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Wedge 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby CER; 56[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 3[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Callaway PM Wedge; 64[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Putter[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Ping Zing 2[/i][/color][/b]

[quote name='oldcarl' timestamp='1290650283' post='2807572']
I suppose that I may be missing something here, but I really don't understand why anyone, given the improvements in carry bags in the last 30 years, would want to shoulder one of these heavy, poorly designed, relics of 1940's amd 50's golf, and walk 18 holes. I n that era I did, because that was the only kind of carry bags around. Thankfully, I'm 73, still walking and playing to a single number hdcp., and doing it in reasonable comfort, thanks to the improvements
[/quote]
There is probably no practical, sensible reason for anyone to spend $700 on a leather carry bag that is more a kin to a persimmon driver than a composite, 460cc
cymbal on a stick.

Seriously, in the final analysis I guess this kind of bag either speaks to you or it doesn't. To think that leather Mackenzies are a growth market to invest in is foolhardy. But for those of us who are attached to this bag (or who wish to become attached to this bag), rational analysis is entirely secondary. For an albeit small community of us it is a part of their heritage that they would suffer inconvenience (and even ridicule in some cases) rather than part with. For others, I'm sure, its exclusivity. It may just arouse curiosity in others. But as long as Shivas Irons stalks in the moonlight, there will always be a few of these beautiful relics of our treasured past around. Please Mackenzie, keep making them.

Carl, keep toting whatever you wish. We will understand, We are brothers under the skin after all.

[quote name='smith5606' timestamp='1291302439' post='2819481']
[/quote]
There is probably no practical, sensible reason for anyone to spend $700 on a leather carry bag that is more a kin to a persimmon driver than a composite, 460cc
cymbal on a stick.

Seriously, in the final analysis I guess this kind of bag either speaks to you or it doesn't. To think that leather Mackenzies are a growth market to invest in is foolhardy. But for those of us who are attached to this bag (or who wish to become attached to this bag), rational analysis is entirely secondary. For an albeit small community of us it is a part of their heritage that they would suffer inconvenience (and even ridicule in some cases) rather than part with. For others, I'm sure, its exclusivity. It may just arouse curiosity in others. But as long as Shivas Irons stalks in the moonlight, there will always be a few of these beautiful relics of our treasured past around. Please Mackenzie, keep making them.

Carl, keep toting whatever you wish. We will understand, We are brothers under the skin after all.
[/quote]

Well said, so I'll just add a +1

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1291303091' post='2819497']
[quote name='smith5606' timestamp='1291302439' post='2819481']
[/quote]
cymbal on a stick.

[/quote]

Well said, so I'll just add a +1
[/quote]

Right on the money! Well Said!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='BC7' timestamp='1294251220' post='2876554']
I think their bags are pretty sweet. Are then sensical? No. Practical given today advancements in bags? No. Are they financially responsible? No. With all that being said I think they're great and look forward to my bag showing up.
[/quote]

Can't argue with a single point here.

Some might argue that they are "Financially Responsible" in that a SINGLE MacKenzie could outlast 7 bags sold today for $150.

The MacKenzie will be with you for three decades.....easy.

[quote name='HappyGas' timestamp='1299515482' post='3033145']
I think their bags are pretty sweet. Are then sensical? No. Practical given today advancements in bags? No. Are they financially responsible? No. With all that being said I think they're great and look forward to my bag showing up.
[/quote]

Some might argue that they are "Financially Responsible" in that a SINGLE MacKenzie could outlast 7 bags sold today for $150.

[/quote]

Ended up going with a McKennon.

[quote name='BC7' timestamp='1299876405' post='3047080']
[quote name='HappyGas' timestamp='1299515482' post='3033145']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ended up going with a McKennon.
[/quote]

That distressed leather reminds me of an old bomber jacket. Awesome!

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, that is really darn cool. Love that look.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1284772782' post='2702508']
I have one bag of each name. Both bleed very badly whether in the rain or just from sweat. I can't tell you how many shirts have been ruined by the strap and the side of the bag. The worst stain seems to be during hot weather when sweat and the leather dye get together. One of them even stained my shoulder through the bag it was so bad. Kind of like a shirt that wasn't color fast and needed to be washed a ton of times before it stopped bleeding. I don't know why they can't prevent the bleeding. Lord knows shoes and other leather goods don't bleed regardless of leather type moo hide or exotic leathers. Too bad because they are excellent workmanship but to date have never found a color that doesn't make a mess over time. They also start to develop sweat stains where the bag bleeds---exchanging color for sweat salt I guess.
[/quote]

I have the same problem with both of my bags. I have the both a ballistic nylon and an all leather Original Walker and color from the leather strap bleeds a lot.

Anyone on this thread have a resolution to the strap and bag bleeding?

I remember carrying one of the MacKenzie bags for many loops in the late '80s and very early 1990s. I caddied and one of my semi-regulars had this bag in dark green. I loved it, and I know that it never bled out the color onto me or onto anything else for that matter. I also remember saying "at some point I'm going to buy one of those bags."

Fast forward a bit and now I'm thinking about it, but a couple people in this thread are talking about the bags bleeding, including one post with a really alarming picture of dye everywhere. This is a real concern for me - I don't just sweat, I SWEAT. I pound sweat. I start sweating in March and it doesn't stop until December. biggrin.gif

Anyone who's had the bag bleed - is that just the way it is? Is it an anomaly or what? After ponying up north of half a G-note, I have to say that I'd be diablo.gif if the bag bled on me like what I saw earlier in this thread.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I remember carrying one of the MacKenzie bags for many loops in the late '80s and very early 1990s. I caddied and one of my semi-regulars had this bag in dark green. I loved it, and I know that it never bled out the color onto me or onto anything else for that matter. I also remember saying "at some point I'm going to buy one of those bags."

Fast forward a bit and now I'm thinking about it, but a couple people in this thread are talking about the bags bleeding, including one post with a really alarming picture of dye everywhere. This is a real concern for me - I don't just sweat, I SWEAT. I pound sweat. I start sweating in March and it doesn't stop until December. biggrin.gif

Anyone who's had the bag bleed - is that just the way it is? Is it an anomaly or what? After ponying up north of half a G-note, I have to say that I'd be diablo.gif if the bag bled on me like what I saw earlier in this thread.

Best advice I can give.....

Call Todd at MacKenzie and talk to him about your concerns. I bought a Red/Black Patch Sunday bag a couple years ago and have ZERO problems with bleeding. I think the bag I bought is still on his site.

I'd tell you to buy one with confidence.

I talked to Todd for about 6 months before I pulled the trigger. He is human and understands that paying top dollar for a MacKenzie isn't an easy decision.

Good luck.

CALL TODD !!! He is totally approachable and LOVES to talk golf.

I would imagine the colors on the bag strap are going to bleed for you too. I would still call Todd at MacKenzie and see if he has any advice. Probably avoid darker colors. Both my bags are completely black and I go back and forth between keeping or selling them. I haven't had a problem with the body of the bag bleeding only the suede portion of the strap.

I would imagine the colors on the bag strap are going to bleed for you too. I would still call Todd at MacKenzie and see if he has any advice. Probably avoid darker colors. Both my bags are completely black and I go back and forth between keeping or selling them. I haven't had a problem with the body of the bag bleeding only the suede portion of the strap.

I've had no problems with my Mckennon.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know why the McKennon website is down???

TaylorMade R9 SuperTri TP / Fubuki 63 Stiff / 43"
TEE CB3 Tour 16.5* / Fujikura Motore F3 80 Stiff 42"
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18* / Nippon NS Pro 850H Stiff
Titleist 712CB 3-5 / Nippon NS Pro 850H Stiff (2* flat / 1* weak)
Titleist 712MB 6-P / Nippon NS Pro 950H Stiff (2* flat / 1* weak)
Titleist SM3 54.11 / Nippon NS Pro 950H Regular
Titleist SM3 60.04 / Nippon NS Pro 950H Regular
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 32"

[quote name='LSUgolfer23' timestamp='1309516038' post='3355016']
Anyone know why the McKennon website is down???
[/quote]

Just checked, it's up but it's also still filled with language like they invented or came up with this design and that's always been my problem with McKennon, coming so close to claiming they invented the wheel!

I'd still rather deal with Todd at MacKenzie, class act all the way. Looking forward to seeing the bags in Golf In The Kingdom and heard that the ones from the film are being auctioned off, if I hear more I'll post.

PS: probably now have over 200 rounds on my MacKenzie Walker and still looks as nice as the day it was delivered!

• 3 weeks later...

About to put my order in with MacKenzie. I cannot wait for this thing!

TaylorMade R9 SuperTri TP / Fubuki 63 Stiff / 43"
TEE CB3 Tour 16.5* / Fujikura Motore F3 80 Stiff 42"
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18* / Nippon NS Pro 850H Stiff
Titleist 712CB 3-5 / Nippon NS Pro 850H Stiff (2* flat / 1* weak)
Titleist 712MB 6-P / Nippon NS Pro 950H Stiff (2* flat / 1* weak)
Titleist SM3 54.11 / Nippon NS Pro 950H Regular
Titleist SM3 60.04 / Nippon NS Pro 950H Regular
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 32"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...